Author Topic: Thoughts about "mod is dying and keeping it alive"  (Read 10053 times)

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
Re: Thoughts about "mod is dying and keeping it alive"
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2015, 04:51:32 am »
Are the official servers really that laggy? I hosted the Australian server on a $20 per month VPS and never had any problems, even with 40 players on which was peak for aus. They must use some pretty shitty servers if they can't handle the average 20-30 players that are on EU/NA battle these days

I think a part of the lag players observe is a consequence of GPU overheating and client-side netlag. When very detailed items such as the new weeaboo armors meet a crappy PC, it's predetermined that the FPS won't stay constant. FPS drops look just like netlag when no FPS counter is enabled. Also, when you are on powerline or wifi, the connection often gets disturbed by various factors, be it adapter overheating, electric interferences or moving objects between the sender and the receiver. If you share your internet with a lot of people, your bandwidth is reduced and the ping goes up. Sometimes, antivir updates, steam updates or malware remain unseen and consume bandwidth. Weather conditions are also a factor for people who live far away from the servers.

I rarely had problems with the servers. I can recall only a few times where mass disconnects or global pingspikes happened because of the servers. Most of the time, when something went bad, it was a mistake on my side. Other than these rare situations, my ping is absolutely stable. The interval of maximum deviation seems to be 3.
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline andreakarasho

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
  • MEMENTO AVDERE SEMPER
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: _ReaL_DeaL_ - Macrone_Legionarivs
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2015, 09:25:36 am »
I dont undestand if this is lag:

If i Press R and L of mouse together my pg in a first time blocks and immediatly he attacks.
When i see the attack, the games uses half of animation (i dont see the preparation of the attack, but only yhe swing).
Is it lag?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2015, 12:20:54 pm »
+1
yesterday evening I played it was not just normal lag as in a delay from action (click) and response on monitor. It is like several frames are cut out once in a while.

Offline Simon_Belmont

• Baron
  • Renown: 82
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Belmonts and many Warhammer refferencing names
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2015, 01:38:48 pm »
I dont undestand if this is lag:

If i Press R and L of mouse together my pg in a first time blocks and immediatly he attacks.
When i see the attack, the games uses half of animation (i dont see the preparation of the attack, but only yhe swing).
Is it lag?

You can do that without lag as well (it's exploitable), but yea, that's probably due to the lag because I've noticed it much more often as well.
You didn't read the fine print on the description of the HA skill. By using ranged on horse you willingly give up your right to empathy, for good reason.
I'm gone for a few months due to work and classes, hoping the mod isn't dead when I come back. Take care, all of you.

Offline Switchtense

• King
  • Renown: 1137
  • Infamy: 137
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • poking you where the sun dont shine!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns, BIRD CLAN BEST CLAN!
  • Game nicks: All sorts of Switch's
  • IRC nick: Switchtense
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2015, 01:54:07 pm »
+5
I think a part of the lag players observe is a consequence of GPU overheating and client-side netlag. When very detailed items such as the new weeaboo armors meet a crappy PC, it's predetermined that the FPS won't stay constant. FPS drops look just like netlag when no FPS counter is enabled. Also, when you are on powerline or wifi, the connection often gets disturbed by various factors, be it adapter overheating, electric interferences or moving objects between the sender and the receiver. If you share your internet with a lot of people, your bandwidth is reduced and the ping goes up. Sometimes, antivir updates, steam updates or malware remain unseen and consume bandwidth. Weather conditions are also a factor for people who live far away from the servers.

I rarely had problems with the servers. I can recall only a few times where mass disconnects or global pingspikes happened because of the servers. Most of the time, when something went bad, it was a mistake on my side. Other than these rare situations, my ping is absolutely stable. The interval of maximum deviation seems to be 3.

Usually I'd agree. But I had massive lags as well lately.
I am running a constant 120fps. GPU runs at a smooth 40°C and I have a constant ping of 24. Not using Wifi or Satellite internet shit.

People warped through me and hit me in the back. I miss 25% of all stabs, even if I see my weapon pierce right through the enemy. Another 25% of my stabs glance, and another 25% are low damage hits, whereas before it was way less. I would get more stabs in with a Long Spear on facehug range than I do now with an Awlpike on normal stabbing range.
Also my kicks are missing a lot more.
Some Eques guy (Can't remember who) was duelling me in EU1, he was standing right in front of me in facehug range (Stationary!!!!). I kicked and seen my foot fly through his body, he just looked at me and slashed me for the kill. While other times I am getting kicked from impossible distances and angles.

And the amount of people that are experiencing the same problems speaks for itself really.
For all the non-believers, look no further than this thread for proof that while strat battles are won/lost in NA3/EU3, strat wars are won and lost on the forums.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2015, 02:07:37 pm »
+2
You can do that without lag as well (it's exploitable), but yea, that's probably due to the lag because I've noticed it much more often as well.

Not exploitable, it looks different for everyone else, only for you its kinda instant but others see the whole animation.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2015, 02:27:15 pm »
+5
others SHOULD see the whole animation.

Fixed. The servers are skipping animation frames every now and then. It has nothing to do with the client side GPU, fps or ping as it's clearly different from what it was half a year ago. It feels like packet loss and it's totally random except that it seems to get a bit worse with more players.

On the actual topic, maybe adding different stuff could keep the mod alive for a little while longer. Maybe we need some events or special items and at least we should get a fix for the previosly added things. Still the first thing I personally would change is the EU1 map rotation which I've complained a lot before but is still the single most annoying thing about current cRPG. That plus the lag has killed the mod for me and I rarely play anymore.

The leveling system needs a small change as well I think. Right now I have two characters at 37 and two at 36 (already retired two of these as the respec system allows me to change builds anyway) and no point to grind. There should be a cap on what you can achieve by leveling up and after that you gain something extra like special items, access to some sexier armor or so on. Level 31 builds should be the maximum to avoid extreme builds. The current retirement bonus isn't enough for me to retire any of my remaining characters and I'll never reach the next levels on them either, so there's nothing to look forward to.

Give more power to people like San and Tydeus and whoever has the skills and is still interested to change and try out things. I disagree with a lot of the balancing done recently, but the mod needs to change every now and then to stay fresh. Just let them experiment - it's not like it can kill the mod any quicker...

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2015, 02:37:30 pm »
+1
Fixed. The servers are skipping animation frames every now and then. It has nothing to do with the client side GPU, fps or ping as it's clearly different from what it was half a year ago. It feels like packet loss and it's totally random except that it seems to get a bit worse with more players.

On the actual topic, maybe adding different stuff could keep the mod alive for a little while longer. Maybe we need some events or special items and at least we should get a fix for the previosly added things. Still the first thing I personally would change is the EU1 map rotation which I've complained a lot before but is still the single most annoying thing about current cRPG. That plus the lag has killed the mod for me and I rarely play anymore.

The leveling system needs a small change as well I think. Right now I have two characters at 37 and two at 36 (already retired two of these as the respec system allows me to change builds anyway) and no point to grind. There should be a cap on what you can achieve by leveling up and after that you gain something extra like special items, access to some sexier armor or so on. Level 31 builds should be the maximum to avoid extreme builds. The current retirement bonus isn't enough for me to retire any of my remaining characters and I'll never reach the next levels on them either, so there's nothing to look forward to.

Give more power to people like San and Tydeus and whoever has the skills and is still interested to change and try out things. I disagree with a lot of the balancing done recently, but the mod needs to change every now and then to stay fresh. Just let them experiment - it's not like it can kill the mod any quicker...

If the server is skipping animations then its the server, and not clicking both buttons at the same time. So its still not exploitable..
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2015, 02:42:22 pm »
+1
If the server is skipping animations then its the server, and not clicking both buttons at the same time. So its still not exploitable..

True. The only thing that I know is exploitable right now is the shield nudge which removes the chamber animation* making instahitting leftswings possible and you can see quite a few players abusing this.

*=not sure about the term, but the animation when you pull your weapon back to make an attack before you release it

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • Renown: 1168
  • Infamy: 616
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2015, 03:04:34 pm »
+2
(click to show/hide)

When i first started crpg in 2011 it was just a bit of casual fun when i wasnt playing super sirius clan matches in native, and the server population was huge, like 100-150+, so i could forgive the little bit of lag that there was then.

But now, not only is the server population tiny, (like 50 is the max it ever reaches), but the lag is easily way worse than it was in 2011, when the servers were full up. Are the devs even aware that crpg is unplayably laggy, or do they just not care?
(if it's that they don't care, then i have to say that alienating your loyal playerbase when you are planning to release a new game is just ..... *slow clap*)

Go play IG battlegrounds on native for a couple of rounds and then play crpg.. you notice the lag difference IMMEDIATELY. IG usually has the same server population as crpg these days, but the lag difference is HUGE. Shame really, i like crpg :P.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 07:36:52 pm by Corsair831 »
I 10/10'd cRPG on moddb.com!

Do your bit for our community and write a 10/10 review for cRPG on http://www.moddb.com/mods/crpg !

Offline Simon_Belmont

• Baron
  • Renown: 82
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Belmonts and many Warhammer refferencing names
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2015, 03:30:09 pm »
Not exploitable, it looks different for everyone else, only for you its kinda instant but others see the whole animation.

Not really, I've been able to do it at 60 fps and with a ping of 40-50 and those frames are skipped for everyone. It might only have to do with certain servers tho, but it affects everyone.
You didn't read the fine print on the description of the HA skill. By using ranged on horse you willingly give up your right to empathy, for good reason.
I'm gone for a few months due to work and classes, hoping the mod isn't dead when I come back. Take care, all of you.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2015, 03:41:41 pm »
There's always periods of increased bugginess of the mechanics due to the servers going a little bad. Dunno how they fixed it in the past, think the servers just got reset or something.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2015, 04:32:36 pm »
There's always periods of increased bugginess of the mechanics due to the servers going a little bad. Dunno how they fixed it in the past, think the servers just got reset or something.

Not enough people have the ability to reset the server.

This is a problem with a lot of mods and community-run servers, not just crpg or M&B.  :|

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2015, 05:18:11 pm »
+4
Give more power to people like San and Tydeus and whoever has the skills and is still interested to change and try out things.

As far as I know San prepared another patch long time ago, the problem is only chadz can launch it. And he has "lazy" in his title not without a reason...

Offline Aseldo

• Baron
  • Renown: 147
  • Infamy: 80
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • you reading this?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Egad_Captain_TKoV
  • IRC nick: Egad