Author Topic: Thoughts about "mod is dying and keeping it alive"  (Read 10074 times)

Offline Switchtense

• King
  • Renown: 1137
  • Infamy: 137
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • poking you where the sun dont shine!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns, BIRD CLAN BEST CLAN!
  • Game nicks: All sorts of Switch's
  • IRC nick: Switchtense
Re: Thoughts about "mod is dying and keeping it alive"
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 12:14:27 am »
fix lag and i have no problem with crpg at all, hell, i'd start playing it again.

+1

I'd start again as well, and I guess some other people as well.
For all the non-believers, look no further than this thread for proof that while strat battles are won/lost in NA3/EU3, strat wars are won and lost on the forums.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 12:18:27 am »
+4
I agree with Heskey. The TW forum members that hate CRPG don't hate it because of its current state or lack of recent patches. They formed an opinion long ago that they don't like the game for whatever reason and haven't looked at it since.

Pick some random game or mod you haven't played in years. Without looking it up, can you tell me when it was most recently patched? What is the current metagame/balance?  :lol:

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 581
  • Infamy: 1321
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 12:35:46 am »
+1
fix lag and i have no problem with crpg at all, hell, i'd start playing it again.

Lag was especially bad today, not sure why but it was almost unplayable. And lag isn't small issue, it is rather huge obstacle for a new player who's familiar with other online games. They will notice lag right away and getting killed by people much better equipped than them and ten times more skilled isn't helping either. The fact that lag issues can be circumvented in certain ways which aren't familiar to new player and are far from being logical are just nail in the coffin for a chance that new player will stay in this mod for more than 30 minutes.

Some of that was present when I started playing this mod, but back then lag wasn't as bad but the thing that made me stick around was huge population and general atmosphere on servers. Many new players like myself around, true battlefield atmosphere with real peasants and skilled knights in shiny armors.

Right now atmosphere is very bad for a player who came here to play the game (fight the enemy army), amount of brocoding and troll play is staggering. New player can't get into that right away which makes him feel like unwanted, complete outsider who doesn't have any right to be on the server.

Now imagine if said player heard about cRPG during M:BG Kickstarter campaign and wanted to try it out before devs give him more info about further development and early alpha access that is about to come. That player might not be gone for good, but cRPG left an awful first impression on him, which has enormous effect on his opinion about Melee Battlegrounds.

Offline Switchtense

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 01:01:21 am »
+1
There is nothing devs can do about the general behavior of people. Brocoding is solely based on the mindset of players.
Skill also is only based on players as well as gear.

But the lag really is killing the mod more than any overpowered horse archer ever did.

People are running through you and hitting you in the back, 25% of the stabs are missing completely, another 25% just glance for no apparent reason and another 25% are low damage hits.

If they fixed the lag I am sure there would be quite a few people coming back. I definitely would. But right now the frustration of bullshit moments outweighs the fun part a lot.
For all the non-believers, look no further than this thread for proof that while strat battles are won/lost in NA3/EU3, strat wars are won and lost on the forums.

Offline //saxon

• King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • I'm just to dam goood 😎
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Saxon
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 01:32:57 am »
Legends never die

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 02:40:06 am »
The fact that lag issues can be circumvented in certain ways which aren't familiar to new player and are far from being logical

explain

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2015, 03:34:08 am »
Uninstalled due to small server population and general lack of interest.  Here's hoping M:BG isn't "balanced" to oblivion and ends up like this mod

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2015, 09:51:33 am »

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 01:17:40 pm »
heskey, your argument makes no sense. I'm absolutely fine with you saying current state of crpg doesn't matter. But why do you think this gets clearer by posting native crpgbashing from 2013 is beyond me. Those hatred opinion was only from Native players, nobody outside of warband would even understand the concept of the criticism. And like I said, it was hated most by native players during the time of highest popularity of crpg.

You are basically criticising that people here confuse bad reputation in crpg community with bad reputation outside of it, but at the same time you are arguing that crpg always had a bad reputation and you are trying to proof that by showing us the reputation crpg got inside the Warband Native community since 2010. ???

On topic I don't think the harm is extraordinarily but it would certainly better if crpg was in better state for those who want to check out what the devs did earlier. And throwing out that revival-patch without any further fixing looks certainly bad in retrospective.

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 02:18:04 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Please reread the words that Heskey typed and try to understand their meanings.

Offline Switchtense

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2015, 03:02:00 pm »
+1
heskey, your argument makes no sense.
Other people were quite capable of making sense of it, but i could have been clearer.

Kind of reminded me of our conversation with Cicero :lol:

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2015, 04:19:00 pm »
+7
leshma still hasn't explained the cryptic but easy (?) method to circumvent server lag...

im on the edge of my seat here leshy

do you know how painful it is to sit on the edge of a seat for more than 24 hours

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2015, 04:47:23 pm »
+3
leshma still hasn't explained the cryptic but easy (?) method to circumvent server lag...

im on the edge of my seat here leshy

do you know how painful it is to sit on the edge of a seat for more than 24 hours

How to alleviate server lag:

Play other games with better servers

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2015, 08:52:20 pm »
mmh, I admit I am a bit nitpicky on a tiny part of your argument and indeed got the impression you enjoyed quoting those idiots. Still I think your post is slightly odd, because the current 'crpg reflects bad on M:BG'-argument isn't about "the people who actively dont like crpg" at all.

Anyway, stupid argument about hot air. Bronto, don't waste your time trying to decipher my way of thoughts, they do make sense but are absolutely meaningless.

And yeah, it's obviously BS to think that current state of crpg was the reason for the Kickstarter fail. Like stated many times before they (we, it) simply failed to make enough people have a glance at it.

Offline Kadeth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Calradian Confederacy
  • Game nicks: kadeth
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2015, 02:56:53 am »
+1
Are the official servers really that laggy? I hosted the Australian server on a $20 per month VPS and never had any problems, even with 40 players on which was peak for aus. They must use some pretty shitty servers if they can't handle the average 20-30 players that are on EU/NA battle these days