Author Topic: Axes: Polearm vs 2-Handed  (Read 5798 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2004
  • Infamy: 836
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: Axes: Polearm vs 2-Handed
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2012, 05:05:03 pm »
And it was nerfed million times so far, just like Bec and those changes were never reverted, unlike archery changes...

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2012, 05:13:34 pm »
+1
Even so it looks so badass.

Looks > everything else.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2012, 07:09:28 pm »
Morningstar isn't OP. It used to be OP, but I guess you don't remember that.
You mean back when it had curshtrough as in native? On all attacks? Always crushtrough because of speedbonus when used on horse? Yeah, I remember that. That doesn't mean that it's still not OP. Sure, it could be worse. But saying it's not worth more than 6,648 gold, when it deals the 2nd most damage in the game, you'd be smoking some weird shit.

Morningstar has an high damage output as pierce damage for a short weapon, but stays way behind if you compare it to the 2h axes which are faster, longer, higher damage and secondary mode possibility.
Unless the guy you are fighting is using cloth or is naked, the morningstar is the highest damaging weapon in the game, after the Great Maul. Whiners, like Leshma, who complain about the Poleaxe stab and the steel pick damage, really ought to remember that the Morningstar is 38 pierce damage, 6 more than the pick and 7 more than the poleaxe. With it's "slow" 92 speed, it still will do more damage on each hit AND DPS. While being "only" 82 length.

EDIT: To put it this way. The highest damaging one hander (ignoring blunt, pierce or cut category) is 37c with the Iron War Axe. The morningstar does more pierce damage then the highest damaging 1hander does with it's cutting. Puts things in perspective. Seriously. Apart from the Great Maul, there is no weapon that gets close to the morningstar when we talk about pure damage output. The closest one we have is the bec with it's 34 pierce. But Leshma is probably gonna whine about the becs OP'ness anyway, cause it's just obvious* how OP that thing is  :rolleyes:

*sarcasm

Even so it looks so badass.

Looks > everything else.
+10 to cool. Definitely.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 07:18:10 pm by Zapper »
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2012, 10:21:04 pm »
When people talk about the 2h animations being superior, it's not about how hard it is for an opponent to read the swing direction.
Yes they are. The 2H animations are better argument exists since a lot longer than earlier active collisions with teammates and objects do.

-Swing is active for full damage much earlier in the animation (i.e. hiltslashing)
Polearms can hiltslash just as well as 2H.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2012, 10:55:38 pm »
+3
The main advantage of polearms, in my opinion, are the occasional stuttering, jerky animations when feinting. 2h gets that too, but far less often. They're usually smooth, thus a million times easier to read.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2012, 11:07:07 pm »
The main advantage of polearms, in my opinion, are the occasional stuttering, jerky animations when feinting. 2h gets that too, but far less often. They're usually smooth, thus a million times easier to read.
I'd say the main advantage is the damage, but this is true.

Offline Homey_D_Clown

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2012, 11:15:52 pm »
+1
I rape people with this axe.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2012, 11:18:02 pm »
I'd say the main advantage is the damage, but this is true.
Really Teeth? Really? Do I have to do the "who deals the most damage" post again? Last time it was obviously 2handers, and things haven't changed much. Actually, the morningstar was buffed +1 damage since last time if I remember correctly.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2012, 11:20:27 pm »
Jarlek wtf they took out crushthrough on sideswings in octobre2009 afaik, were you even playing the Game
back then?

And you compare it to the damage onehanders and say its op cause it Deals more damage than onehanders and you also forgot that there is a Penalty for Morningstar in 1h Mode.

Also you are the whiner here. Morningstar is shorter
than Most onehanders Not to speak of 2hs or polearms. It has a high Weight which is Great for stuns and
shitty for the Speed. Bonus against shields is a Big plus but the unbalanced Tag is a Even
greater Minus and completly annoying and also very
difficult to Play with. So we end up with a high damaging and
cheap but rather slow and really Short weapon that is also very
difficult to Play with. Seems Fine to me.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:22:50 pm by BlackMilk »

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2012, 11:56:37 pm »
Jarlek wtf they took out crushthrough on sideswings in octobre2009 afaik, were you even playing the Game
back then?

:lol:

I don't know what were you smoking BlackMilk, but Warband came out in 2010.

Late March, afaik.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount%26Blade:_Warband
:rolleyes:

If you've played cRPG back in 2009, you must be some kinda time wizard.  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:59:49 pm by Christo »

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2012, 12:07:58 am »
Do you know what a beta is? Iirc crushthrough on sideswings never
existed in warband 1.xxx, only in early stages of the Multiplayer beta.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2012, 12:12:14 am »
Do you know what a beta is? Iirc crushthrough on sideswings never
existed in warband 1.xxx, only in early stages of the Multiplayer beta.

Did from horseback and still do in native
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2012, 12:13:57 am »
Good.

The hell cares about a native beta? Stop confusing me.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2012, 12:16:35 am »
Blackmilk. Just. No. Read my post again and maybe you'll get it this time.

Anyway, let's try to answer you, bit by bit:
back then?
I've been playing M&B since the original came out and have been playing since then. Yeah, I remember when they changed it, but that was for cRPG only. As Gurnisson and Christo mentioned as I wrote this, you also got the time AND the changes wrong. Morningstar is still dastardly OP in native, as it always was, and unless you are talking about original M&B (which I thought you were talking about) you got it completely wrong with when it came out.

What does this have to do with anything anyway? I remembered when it was super OP, how does that apply to me thinking it is still too powerful for its price?

And you compare it to the damage onehanders and say its op cause it Deals more damage than onehanders and you also forgot that there is a Penalty for Morningstar in 1h Mode.
Sigh. Try to read better next time. I'm not comparing them vis-a-vis each other. I was making a not that the morningstar does more pierce damage than the highest damaging one-handed weapon. Just to show how powerfull it really is. I never said 2handers shouldn't do more damage than one-handers. I was trying to put things in perspective. Do you get it now?

And jeeeeez luise. Of course I know about the penalty when used in 1h mode. What does this have to do with anything? Did I mention it or make a point about it? Did I ever talk about the morningstar used as a one-handed weapon? You see, I can also drag in unrelated information, reminding you that you never mentioned it and then using it as an argument about how wrong you are.

Hey Blackmilk. Did you forget that two-handed weapons used on horseback gets a penalty? You are now completely wrong because you didn't mention that!
Look. Doing stuff like that is just stupid, wrong and not helpful at all. Can we please not use arguments like that? I know you are more mature than that.

Also you are the whiner here.
How am I the whiner here? I'm saying I love the Morningstar because it is OP, making me easily decimate everyone, I say that I would like a new 2h axe added to the game, and I say that I DON'T see a problem with the unbalanced tag. How can I be the whiner when I'm saying I like how everything is now? The only thing close to whining I've done in this thread are about idiots who didn't get my first post, i.e. the 2h axes aren't super-awesome-omfg! because they are cheap. You wouldn't compare the Wooden Stick with the Flamberge, now would you?. Yet still retards keep comparing the 2h axes with the poleaxes. It's just plain retarded.

Morningstar is shorter
than Most onehanders Not to speak of 2hs or polearms. It has a high Weight which is Great for stuns and
shitty for the Speed.
First of all. Morningstar isn't really shorter than most one handers. Most one handers are less than the 82 length of the morningstar AND the morningstar has a bigger bonus from animations in all but the right-to-left swing. Don't believe me? Count the number of 1hs with less than 82 reach. Sure. The most USED one handed weapons probably have an average of 90-ish. I'll be fair to point that out (see? We don't have to only point out the stuff that support our own views. More people should try that), but that is a point that is outside of what we are talking about. You say it is short, and I say yes. I agree. But it's NOT shorter than "most" 1handers. Agreed? That being said. It isn't short enough to be a problem. It is still viable with reach on all it's swings unlike, let's say, the iberian mace. Because of it's short length (70) and 1h animations, you kinda have to use the right-to-left swing most of the time. This isn't a problem with the Morningstar as all it's swings are roughly the same length, and they all have a decent length.
  I'd also like to point out that the bec. The polearm equivalent of the morningstar, is just as short. Yet, does anyone really have anything to complain about the reach of any of them? They aren't THAT short that it matters. Does anyone really have a problem with the length of the morningstar/bec?

Secondly. You say it has "a high Weight which is Great for stuns and shitty for the Speed". I'm sorry to inform you about this, but weapon weight does not affect it's speed. If you are talking about MOVEMENT speed, then I see what you say, but I have to disagree. 3.7 weight isn't a lot. Anyone who has used a shield knows that 3.7 is NOTHING. Most shields are 6+ weight, and even there you can get some decent speed. Only when the weight goes to 8+ you really start feeling the weight. Long story short. A weapon with 3.7 weight doesn't slow you down a lot. Nowhere NEAR the ammount armour or a shield would slow you down.

Bonus against shields is a Big plus but the unbalanced Tag is a Even
greater Minus and completly annoying and also very
difficult to Play with.
Thirdly. Bonus against shield is a plus. That is correct. Unbalanced tag is a minus. That is correct. But the Unbalanced tag is WAY too little a minus to balance out the Bonus against shield. Or anything else, for that matter. The only thing "Unbalanced" does is making you unable to stop the attack after you started it. Yeah, sucks in some situations like Leshma said (enemy died and you can't stop the swing, so you hit your teammate), but there really isn't that many places where it will be a problem or liability. It's a bad thing for sure, but very, very minor. You say it is "difficult to play with", then I have to say "No, it isn't. L2p." No offense Blacky, but it really isn't hard to use them.
So we end up with a high damaging and
cheap but rather slow and really Short weapon that is also very
difficult to Play with. Seems Fine to me
First of all, it's not a "cheap" weapon, it's just not an expensive one. It's in the middle (and I think it should be in the lower end of expensive territory).
It is also high damaging. But NO WAY is it a "slow" weapon. It's 92 speed, same as the greatswords and only 3 of the axes are faster. It isn't a katana, but it's nowhere near "slow". You also call it short, but as I mentioned earlier, it isn't short enough to be an issue.  It defiently isn't "really Short weapon" like you said. Sure, you get outreached by most 2handers and many polearms, but you still got more than enough range to keep some distance with. Lastly, you call it "very difficult to play with". That's BS. Yeah, it's not the EASIEST weapon in the game (Greatswords), but it isn't the hardest weapons either. Personally I would put it somewhere in the middle on the "how easy to use" rankings. You wouldn't want to use it as a bad player, but you haven't got the be a badass to use it properly either. Case in point: HRE loves this weapon.

PS: For the love of God. Please try to at least THINK about correct spelling and grammar next time. It hurts my brain to look at those mistakes!

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2012, 12:18:32 am »
I also found the old post where I show which weapon category has the highest damaging weapons. Making a new post to keep it seperate from my reply to Blacky.

It's a good read and really shows how stupid the "QQ polearms are so OP and does so much more damage than 2handers" whining is.
(click to show/hide)