Author Topic: Axes: Polearm vs 2-Handed  (Read 5795 times)

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
Re: Axes: Polearm vs 2-Handed
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2012, 09:04:02 am »
You ever played with the 2h axes?

They are fucking awesome.
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2012, 09:21:00 am »
Not really, all of them are unbalanced which is just annoying to play with.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2012, 10:42:32 am »
+1
on NA its easily 90% poleaxes.  I rarely ever see a great axes.  2h axes are pretty shitty and the numbers regarding their use reflect this

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 810
  • Infamy: 1043
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2012, 12:31:08 pm »

No they are not. I've tried Great Axe last night for a short period of time (I've used it before occasionally) and I must say it's shitty weapon. Short, slow and unbalanced. And damage isn't that epic.

At some point I've picked some poleaxes from the ground to try them out. It's much easier to play with those than with 2H Axes and I have 175 wpf in 2H and 1 wpf in polearms...

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2012, 12:41:34 pm »
+2

This, and they're pretty cheap to boot too. 2H axes don't need a buff, but that top-tier axe sounds like a good addition. 8-)
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Shatter

• Knight
  • Renown: 59
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Shatter_Astralis
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2012, 02:29:33 pm »
I also think a 10-15k 2h axe would be a good thing. The 2h axes that are available right now are not bad for their price. But when compared to the high-end 2hers, the current 2h axes are just not as good.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2012, 03:31:21 pm »
+1
If you can spot the pattern in the spoiler you can see why 2h axes are worse than polearm axes.

(click to show/hide)

Quoted because this seemed to be ignored.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:32:27 pm by Malaclypse »
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2012, 03:36:52 pm »
+2
When people talk about the 2h animations being superior, it's not about how hard it is for an opponent to read the swing direction. They are talking about:

-Shorter backswing on overheads=less getting caught on walls/teammates
-Extended overhead animation=lets you drag the weapon along the ground to hit for full dmg long after your opponent thinks they've dodged it (Poles can do this too, but the 2h animation leans way forward while you do it so it's a lot easier)
-More compact left/right swings=less getting caught on walls/teammates/less glancing
-Swing is active for full damage much earlier in the animation (i.e. hiltslashing)
-Increased reach

I don't think unbalanced is the blight people claim it to be. Watch Seduction (or whatever he calls himself now, it has a bunch of numbers in it) with the War Cleaver; he feints like a madman, better than he does when he uses a longsword.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2862
  • Infamy: 528
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2012, 04:06:24 pm »
I can feint with War cleaver just as easily as with swords. Of course you can't do that famous feint most duelers do simply because you have no thrust. But feints from side to side or swing-overhead feints are pretty much the same and just as easy to do. Feinting isn't an issue, problem is when you want to stop the swing which is almost over because enemy is dead and your teammates came in front of you. You can do that with swords but you can't with unbalanced 2H axes/cleavers.

Fast feinting works like a charm with war cleaver simply because people don't expect you to feint. Everyone knows that only way to use war cleaver is spamming left and right swings as fast as you can. Don't do that and people will be wtf and a moment later, dead.

But war cleaver isn't an axe, it's awfully long and deals epic damage. Great axe is shit compared to it. It's cheap, but still shit.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2012, 04:21:17 pm »
+1
No they are not. I've tried Great Axe last night for a short period of time (I've used it before occasionally) and I must say it's shitty weapon. Short, slow and unbalanced. And damage isn't that epic.

At some point I've picked some poleaxes from the ground to try them out. It's much easier to play with those than with 2H Axes and I have 175 wpf in 2H and 1 wpf in polearms...
I've tried Voulge last night for a short period of time (I've used it before occasionally) and I must say it's shitty weapon. Short, slow and unbalanced. And damage isn't that epic.

At some point I've picked up some greatsword from the ground to try them out. It's much easier to play with than with polearm axes and I have 174 wpf in polearms and 1 wpf in 2h...

(click to show/hide)
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 1914
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2012, 04:30:19 pm »
At least I told the truth.

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2012, 04:32:13 pm »
+1
I've tried Voulge last night for a short period of time (I've used it before occasionally) and I must say it's shitty weapon. Short, slow and unbalanced. And damage isn't that epic.

At some point I've picked up some greatsword from the ground to try them out. It's much easier to play with than with polearm axes and I have 174 wpf in polearms and 1 wpf in 2h...

(click to show/hide)

But you totally showed in your post what is wrong with them: Why should anyone use them if they can use a morningstar.
They may not suck but they for sure arent great. Thats not the problem. The question is why morningstar (without being op) is better then every
single option you could chose as axe.

=> Yes you are right in one point: We need a high tier 2h-Axe. It should be around 1m long to not be like a poleaxe it should be unbalanced but
it should deal incredible damage (like the persian) while not being slow (like the great axe) and it should have the secondary pierce mode (like the other persian).

That would be an axe people would consider.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2012, 04:43:35 pm »
But you totally showed in your post what is wrong with them: Why should anyone use them if they can use a morningstar.
They may not suck but they for sure arent great. Thats not the problem. The question is why morningstar (without being op) is better then every
single option you could chose as axe.

=> Yes you are right in one point: We need a high tier 2h-Axe. It should be around 1m long to not be like a poleaxe it should be unbalanced but
it should deal incredible damage (like the persian) while not being slow (like the great axe) and it should have the secondary pierce mode (like the other persian).

That would be an axe people would consider.
Oh, the Morningstar is OP as fuck! I love it for it :D

And to why people should use the other axes instead? Well. Roleplay and/or upkeep. For many people those two things don't matter, but for some it does. I've always found it funny how people, when they want to save money, always lower their armour first while still having their expensive weapons. Personally I like to keep the armour and downgrade on weapons. Looting is a fun and entertaining pastime :D

As for a morningstar vs similarly priced axe. First of all, increase the morningstar price. It's the second most damaging weapon in the game and too cheap for it's usefulness. My thinking is that the axe should have more base damage, but cut, more reach and possibly (if it has a spike) the ability to turn over and use the spike instead of the blade. The morningstar, ought to have less base damage, but pierce/blunt, same speed and maybe knockdown. Knockdown only if the axe got the alternative mode. Maybe do as with the Iron Mace and add a polearm-animation stab for the morningstar with blunt damage? To give it the possibility of knockdown?
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 668
  • Infamy: 2625
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2012, 04:59:48 pm »
Morningstar isn't OP. It used to be OP, but I guess you don't remember that.

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2012, 05:02:52 pm »
+1
Morningstar has an high damage output as pierce damage for a short weapon, but stays way behind if you compare it to the 2h axes which are faster, longer, higher damage and secondary mode possibility.