Author Topic: Really melee-ers?  (Read 12013 times)

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
Re: Really melee-ers?
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2012, 08:03:06 pm »
And getting headshots isn't even skilled. Mostly random chance if you aim in the right direction. Only way it works is by shotgunning.

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2012, 08:03:35 pm »
+1
New armor soak values for melee have us tanking in melee, and now we tank ranged damage too.

Next patch we will have HALO regenerating shields, because dying sucks so much in a video game. >.>

C-rpg is losing it's thrill for me, becoming too forgiving. This is my opinion.

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2012, 08:03:48 pm »
I'm pretty sure melee class ask for removal of ladders and reduce of ranged spam

but still, range get my rage award  8-)  :D

Offline SquishMitten

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Waylander
  • Game nicks: Mew, Kitty + many more
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2012, 08:10:24 pm »
+1
Nah, I think he's suggesting that archers should have an average of 10-10 as should any class. Not work your ass off to get 1-10 and watch all the noob immature shieldless 2handers do what they want and collect the vast majority of the kills.

No, the game should be balanced so that every class can contribute towards winning the round, not getting kills.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

In memory of Merciless_Mew, member of Merciless, ruler of Istiniar

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2012, 08:10:55 pm »
No, the game should be balanced so that every class can contribute towards winning the round, not getting kills.

Kills contribute towards winning the round...

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2012, 08:14:35 pm »
+2
I was getting two shot by most archers, one shot by Arbalests pre-change. By people who I had no way of countering if I had my back turned for a second. Archery was, potentially at least, an extremely low risk, high reward class to play. You could hit like a tank from anywhere from two feet (turn + shoot) to two hundred feet away, run faster than most people due to light armor (so, even if I am carrying a shield, most of the time I could never hope to catch up to them). Now, I could have put on lighter armor to run faster, but the trade off is that I would have less survivability, and my armor is only like 4.1 pounds anyhow. I could throw on more armor for increased projectiles taken, but then I could absolutely never hope to catch a kiting archer. This was with a basic balanced build, 18/18. Even on my 21/21 I could rarely catch up to most archers while I was wearing medium armor (Padded Leather). Melee classes, you risk death in every single confrontation, so the reward should be higher.

I'm for the ranged nerf. Particularly the nerf on archery, less so against throwers, least of all against crossbowmen. Though I will admit that the reduction values need some tweaking.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline godhanger

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: godhanger
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2012, 08:16:50 pm »
sounds like you wear too much armor, and dont use a shield

edit: actually forget that, its inflammatory and completely baseless.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2012, 08:16:59 pm »
I generally didn't have much of a problem with archers in a regular pub game but now it's even less so.
And how!

Offline SquishMitten

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Waylander
  • Game nicks: Mew, Kitty + many more
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2012, 08:18:35 pm »
Derp

lets say i play pikeman, in the melee i stab anyone who i see not blocking down, causing them to stumble and be killed by the melee troops on my side. In the end i have few kills because my pike is low damage, but i have assisted in the deaths of many, thus i have helped my team but not got lots of kills myself.

the same is true for archers, pew pew and kill horses, wound infantry making them easier for others to kill, kill other ranged etc and you are helping the team, but you might not get lots of kills.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

In memory of Merciless_Mew, member of Merciless, ruler of Istiniar

Offline godhanger

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2012, 08:19:40 pm »
i dont, however think that melee risk is somehow higher, and that they deserve more reward, particularly since ladders have been removed and the few "run away agi crutchers" are not an accurate portrayal of the majority, being relatively balanced, lighter-armored crossbowmen/archers.

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2012, 08:21:36 pm »
 so give me a free loom and lvl respec pls

Offline godhanger

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2012, 08:22:46 pm »
hit like a tank from anywhere from two feet (turn + shoot) to two hundred feet away, run faster than most people due to light armor

isnt this precisely the point of an archer?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 08:27:57 pm by godhanger »

Offline von_felty

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TBT
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2012, 08:36:03 pm »

Not if you suicide charge or kill your teammates in the process.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2012, 08:39:47 pm »
People do realise that that the point of this change was to make archery more skill based instead. I have been killed by one shot to my 58 armor helmet. But survived 4-5 shots to the body. Of course this depends on the bow.

I like this change. If you are up against a bad archer you do not have to be too afraid, but if you are up against a good archer it is hell. One hit to the head and boom dead. At least if it is against a long bow or war bow.

Now headshots really pay off. If I were still an archer I would like this change. It would make me focus more on aiming instead of just firing arrows mindless into the enemy infantry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNwsH2Y-I3c

Watch that video.  The aiming reticule might give you an idea what archers have to deal with.  Unless you're REALLY CLOSE you can't effectively aim at the head consistently because there is too much randomness regarding where the arrow is going to land.  Sure you can try to aim your shots up a bit higher, but you will miss much more often with your arrows while having a marginally better chance at scoring a head shot.

So archers will still have to fire arrows "mindlessly" (which isn't further from the truth btw for good archers) yet there was no change to actually make headshots any more likely.

Now, if missile speed & accuracy were improved across the board I would be more willing to let the recent changes slide, because good archers actually COULD aim for the head a bit better.

the same is true for archers, pew pew and kill horses, wound infantry making them easier for others to kill, kill other ranged etc and you are helping the team, but you might not get lots of kills.

But, but, but, the Jambi screenshot of him going 23-3 is being used to show archery is fine, when in reality you're telling me... that many of those kills might have been peasants/very hurt players/kill steals???  Are you telling me that kills mean little in terms of actual round effectiveness?  But that would mean that that screenshot tells people absolutely nothing about balance....

OH MY GOD THIS IS TOO MUCH FOR MY BRAIN TO COMPREHEND
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 08:44:05 pm by MrShine »
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2012, 08:42:20 pm »
Anyone who is FOR the archery nerf should try playing archery for a gen.

I did, before the nerf, and I had a hard time playing well and contributing much towards the team...let along getting actual kills.

Nerf unnecessary.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 08:43:21 pm by Garison »