Author Topic: Tips to fight a 1h shielder  (Read 2969 times)

Offline zonn44

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Tips to fight a 1h shielder
« on: June 08, 2011, 12:15:40 pm »
Need some tips for how a 2Hander should fight a shielder/1hander.
Thnx

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
Re: Tips to fight a 1h shielder
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 12:48:54 pm »
My main is a 1hander, so i may be wrong, but i guess first is footwork (high athletic) to use the high lenght of your weapon and turn around the shield. Next i guess is feint, the guy is shield up you feint, he believe you strike, he down his shield to hit you, you strike him first (doesn't work against good 1hander).

But i guess the nemesis of shield is an axe, you destroy his shield in 3 or 4 hit and then it's a free way for your strike (many 1hander don't know how to manual block).

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 01:07:12 pm »
Having played both 1h+shield and 2hander a lot i'll offer some advice. As a 2hander you have the range advantage so use it and try to keep the shielder on the very edge of your killing zone at all times, always be trying to get behind the shielder too. Pull off some feints, if he doesn't fall for one, two or even three swing feints try a straight hit - he may think it's feint and let you hit him, mind games! Mix it up a bit, feint sometimes, othertimes trade blows a little. Use a weapon with the special effect 'bonus against shield' and try to get through the shield.

If the shielder is a very good player (likely due to the average skill level of players in cRPG) simple feints wont work often and they can probably manual block decently too. In this case you try a kickslash or take the easy way out and bring friends to gang up on him while doinf all of the above.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 02:05:01 pm »
invest in a great maul
Turtles

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 02:52:50 pm »
invest in a great maul

An axe is better. A decent shielder will likely evade your attack and spam you to pieces.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 03:06:04 pm »
step to their sides. Circling hurts them more than others.
Don't hold your first 3 or four swings, then hold one just a bit before releasing. Set a pace, then disrupt it and you'll get a kill 90% of the time.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 03:12:12 pm »
step to their sides. Circling hurts them more than others.
Don't hold your first 3 or four swings, then hold one just a bit before releasing. Set a pace, then disrupt it and you'll get a kill 90% of the time.

This. Try to begin with simple combat attack-block-attack-block and so on then a feint has a higher chance of success. If you feint right away he'll be concentrated.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 04:31:00 pm »
I use a Great Long Bardiche, so it's a shieldbreaker but painfully slow, so I can easily get spammed by a 1her if I let them stay in my face.

I'm still perfecting this technique, but I guess you'd call it "jousting": I run past the shielder and unleash my swing at max range, but just keep running past them afterwards. Rinse and repeat. Thanks to the speed bonus, even steel shields break in <5 swings. Unfortunately, this technique fails me fairly often, with the shielder often smacking me in the ass after I pass them. But I also have 3 athletics, so maybe this works better if you are speedy.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 07:36:48 pm »
I use a Great Long Bardiche, so it's a shieldbreaker but painfully slow, so I can easily get spammed by a 1her if I let them stay in my face.

I'm still perfecting this technique, but I guess you'd call it "jousting": I run past the shielder and unleash my swing at max range, but just keep running past them afterwards. Rinse and repeat. Thanks to the speed bonus, even steel shields break in <5 swings. Unfortunately, this technique fails me fairly often, with the shielder often smacking me in the ass after I pass them. But I also have 3 athletics, so maybe this works better if you are speedy.
LOL! Awesome tactic! I'm gonna try this one :D
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 08:45:41 pm »
spam them, learn to block well and try to sneak in for the side/back while frontal dueling where the shields aura is not effective (aim low)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 08:46:46 pm by Prpavi »
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 09:54:01 pm »
If you are not a good blocker, there is nothing you can do in a 1v1 situation with an experienced shielder (kinngrimm comes into mind), he won't wait for you to spam his shield down and once he lands a hit you'll be spammed to death with 0 chances to strike back unless you block. Good shielders generally have agi builds so footwork won't help as it's very likely they have higher athletics then you do.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 11:06:38 pm »
Kickslash.

Prepare block for his coming attack, maneuver your body, kick, slash. Rinse and repeat. If he's spamming feints, it may be hard to actually block his attack, as well as kicking him. If so, you'll be punished hard if you miss with your kick.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Toffi

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Honoured Guard)
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 11:19:42 pm »
run ;-)

no seriously it's hard if he has some skill.

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 05:16:12 pm »
Swing at you 2h's max range. As he blocks the fist swing: stay at that range and immediately swing again. Use footwork to make him miss his swing as your swing just hits due to it's superior range. This is easiest and very effective, especially with the longer weapons like greatswords. (Kite-spam)

If you're a good manual blocker, you can also try to facehug him and try to get behind him. This is relatively easy to do and quite effective.

Some shielders fall for feints. Try one or maybe two. If they don't fall for the first feint, beware. They will counter by spamming you, thus hitting you while you're feinting.

And lastly, like marathon said, try holding an attack just a bit longer. Good shielders release their block instantly after you hit. By delaying a swing a bit (holding it a bit longer), you can make them release block early.

Some shielders are very predictable in their swing directions. If you have practiced this, you can try a chamber block. I'm mentioning this because it's possible, not because it's the smart thing to do though. But some situations allow you to chamber. Sadly, most alert shielders don't fall for a chamber block counter. Some do though.

To sum it up, there are several techniques:

• Kite-spamming
  • Facehug / get behind
  • Feinting
  • Holding
  • Chamberblock

The trick is to guess which approach works best for your opponent.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 05:32:55 pm »
I find the easiest way is to facehug shielders and swing at their feet.  This causes most of them to glance off of me with every swing while I enjoy full damage.  This doesn't work on warhammer's and steel picks however, but against any other 1her it seems to be almost a guaranteed nullifier to their short weapon.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?