Author Topic: Map Rotation  (Read 4359 times)

Offline chesterotab

• Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 634
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Map Rotation
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2014, 12:31:27 am »
+4
create dust2 for crpg then get rid of every other map.

▲ ▲
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2014, 12:40:20 am »
+1
I have finished drawing a sketch. I make a clearer line-art now and add descriptions before I send it to Daruvian. He wants to implement it and we have another community-made map. Maybe it will be fun to play, maybe not. We will try and find out.

Edit: The sketch is finished and I sent it to Daruvian. He gave me positive feedback. We will stay in contact while he is implementing it in the map editor.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 03:58:30 am by Panuru »
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2014, 01:49:02 am »
+2
There are literally about six conflicting opinions within two pages of this thread, everybody wants different shit. The OP's opinion must be the dumbest here though. There are many, many urban maps in the rotation, no open plains whatsoever and the number of villages is quite limited to ones that play well. 90% of the feedback I have received is exactly the opposite, too many urban and/or enclosed maps. Which I find good points and there are some changes pending.

http://forum.melee.org/scene-editing/battle-map-rotation-overhaul/

There, I started something a while ago, though I regret it already. If anyone can actually be bothered to write something constructive instead of the usual 'make it better' or 'add old maps' I might just pick up the slack. Not that it will matter, as map rotation will always be shit in the eyes of most.

The rotation first then new maps. Everyone I talk to loves the old ATS community server maps! Bring em back and take out 75 percent of the ones we use now.
I have looked through all of them twice now, a few are salvagable but not really anything special, most are absolutely terrible for reasons eloquently provided by imisshotmail. Find the ATS map pack, and directly specify which ones you want added after careful consideration how they would play. Good luck with finding anything.

on a serious note: make a swamp map. Shallow pools, dead trees, a couple large unbroken pieces of land. Add docks and bridges and maybe some wooden shacks.
Does it look anything like this?
(click to show/hide)

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2014, 05:21:33 am »
There are literally about six conflicting opinions within two pages of this thread, everybody wants different shit. The OP's opinion must be the dumbest here though. There are many, many urban maps in the rotation, no open plains whatsoever and the number of villages is quite limited to ones that play well. 90% of the feedback I have received is exactly the opposite, too many urban and/or enclosed maps. Which I find good points and there are some changes pending.

There, I started something a while ago, though I regret it already. If anyone can actually be bothered to write something constructive instead of the usual 'make it better' or 'add old maps' I might just pick up the slack. Not that it will matter, as map rotation will always be shit in the eyes of most.
I have looked through all of them twice now, a few are salvagable but not really anything special, most are absolutely terrible for reasons eloquently provided by imisshotmail. Find the ATS map pack, and directly specify which ones you want added after careful consideration how they would play. Good luck with finding anything.
Does it look anything like this?
(click to show/hide)

Yeah, that one was taken out of the NA map rotation along with many others.  You should play on na1 before saying anything.  EU1 has a much larger diversity of maps.

Can we please, please have an NA player administer map rotation in NA, not an EU player that never plays on NA1 so doesnt have to deal with the shitty choices.  EU1 has a much better map rotation than NA because of this.  I wouldn't even be adverse to changing NA1 map rotation to EU1's map rotation.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 05:25:27 am by Keshian »
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Wesleysnipes

• Earl
  • Renown: 371
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • SQUIDDONKULIOUS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: AoW squid
  • Game nicks: Wesley
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2014, 05:25:21 am »
+9
My first Drawing of a map lol. I'm no artist but here you go Daruvian.

Dashing through the steppe, on a hundreds horse sleigh, o'er fields we go, laughing all the way. HOHOHO! It's Calamariclause and it's Christmas in April for the Squids.

http://www.insomniagamer.com/lp/leagueofangels/loapink/

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2014, 07:02:43 am »
(click to show/hide)

Someone took Drafting 101.  :lol:

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Dionysus

• Duke
  • Renown: 696
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player
  • I move-- for no man.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Art of War
  • Game nicks: Dionysus_AoW
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2014, 08:52:55 am »
+2
My first Drawing of a map lol. I'm no artist but here you go Daruvian.
(click to show/hide)

Solid criticism made by Alec: keep flags on the same plane. If you make this map, don't put that middle flag spawn on the tower so that archers cannot camp it.

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2014, 11:01:49 am »
+1
Yeah, that one was taken out of the NA map rotation along with many others.  You should play on na1 before saying anything.  EU1 has a much larger diversity of maps.

Can we please, please have an NA player administer map rotation in NA, not an EU player that never plays on NA1 so doesnt have to deal with the shitty choices.  EU1 has a much better map rotation than NA because of this.  I wouldn't even be adverse to changing NA1 map rotation to EU1's map rotation.
Yeah, no. EU 1 rotation = NA 1 rotation. It takes one map picture for you to jump the most outrageous conclusions.

The map I linked isn't in any rotation, I just linked it because it seemed to fit the description rather well. It has been removed like two years ago because after some patch random glitchy buildings appeared on the map. Never bothered to re-add because I don't recall it playing really well or anything, it did look nice though. If you disagree, put a request for it in here

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2014, 11:18:42 am »
I think you lost all creditability by having 'Rivendale' map in a rotation, utter piece of shit.

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2014, 11:19:35 am »
Fips, is there a way I can see the pool of maps that exist and then personally make my recommendations?
In case you have not seen it, this post contains a bunch:
woops didn't se Teeth's post
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 11:41:51 am by Moncho »

Offline Dionysus

• Duke
  • Renown: 696
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player
  • I move-- for no man.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Art of War
  • Game nicks: Dionysus_AoW
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2014, 12:11:06 pm »
+2
Wes. Got bored and decided it's about time I learn this map editor.

Super Early Alpha PRE-ORDER FOR EARLY ACCESS AND GET THE RECON ARMOR PERMUTATION
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

First time. Please be gentle.  :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2014, 12:29:09 pm »
+1
I think you lost all creditability by having 'Rivendale' map in a rotation, utter piece of shit.
I think your feedback is useless and twatty. You do understand that fixing the map rotation is not my job and that I'd gladly save the time and walk away? I didn't add it, played it once, didn't seem particularly problematic then. So take your shit elsewhere and provide actual feedback. Though I can probably see the potential issue with the map from the overview screen.

Wes. Got bored and decided it's about time I learn this map editor.

Super Early Alpha PRE-ORDER FOR EARLY ACCESS AND GET THE RECON ARMOR PERMUTATION
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

First time. Please be gentle.  :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

(click to show/hide)
What module are you using for mapping that you spawn with that gear? It's best to use a copied cRPG module because there are a bunch of additional props you can use. Mapping guide is your friend.

http://forum.melee.org/scene-editing/peasant_woman%27s-simple-and-easy-guide-to-making-a-playable-map-for-crpg/

Offline imisshotmail

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 504
  • Infamy: 428
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2014, 01:33:34 pm »
+2

There, I started something a while ago, though I regret it already. If anyone can actually be bothered to write something constructive instead of the usual 'make it better' or 'add old maps' I might just pick up the slack.

I'll go over every map in the rotation and give reasons for why they should be removed/kept and post some old maps I remember as playing good.

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2014, 01:46:44 pm »
+3
And when you do imisshotmail, keep in mind that they are other aspects of gameplay than making maps only be beneficial for cav  :lol:

In general, height adds more to game play than it deters.

Everyone has gone over the ATS maps, from Punisher to Teeth, and we all have come to the same conclusion:

They are bad. Everything from gameplay to quality. Show me one ATS map that  you think is good and I'll tell you why it isn't. It's nostalgia, nothing more.
Monkeys!

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2014, 02:31:02 pm »
What about Street Revolt? I enjoy that map and I have no reason to be nostalgic about it. Sure its bad for cav but its great fun for inf and ranged. And its immersive. Its also very hard to leech or delay on, for any class.