Author Topic: Map Rotation  (Read 4393 times)

Offline imisshotmail

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 504
  • Infamy: 428
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Map Rotation
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 01:56:03 pm »
+3
Oh wow, i feel so motivated now to do as you say and spend yet another couple dozen hours on making and editing maps just for you! For free, too!

The map rotation would be better if you didn't make maps at all.

Offline imisshotmail

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 504
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 02:11:48 pm »
+8
Anyway I went over some of the map rotation a while ago, I think some of these maps are no longer in the rotation and obviously there is way more in it that I don't have down.  also i'm sure nobody would edit the maps themselves, so most of the ones i'd just remove.

(click to show/hide)

But there is an easy pattern to tell for what makes bad maps that most people I know agree with. Hills are awful. Elevated camping positions are awful. Flat ground with no cover is awful. Narrow pathways/corridors are awful.

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1148
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Hi
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fin
  • IRC nick: Fin
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 02:20:20 pm »
+2
This mod deserves more open maps, amirite.
Can't even play decently on these maps nowday, I'm working my ass off to kill something in those damn Nord towns and shit.

POWAH TO THE HORSE ARCHERY *fist up*

I despise your class, your forum-avatar, your attitude, your looks, your valorwhoring at the end of each round, your posts and everything you like.

"Life was easier as a borderline alcoholic." (chadz, 2016)

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 02:32:26 pm »
But there is an easy pattern to tell for what makes bad maps that most people I know agree with. Hills are awful. Elevated camping positions are awful. Flat ground with no cover is awful. Narrow pathways/corridors are awful.

^^This. The engine is horrible for hill fighting and archers/xbows shouldn't be allowed to gain a position where they aren't threatened by anything. The current map rotation on EU1 is just horrific. Even if someone really tried, I don't think they could make it any worse. It's filled with closed quarter fighting with no room for cavalry or any flanking. Archers are on top of buildings or on vertical hills camping, and melee runs in clockwise circles trying to lap each other. With the new conquest I spend most of my playtime on EU2 even though I used to play there maybe 5% of the time before.

I disagree with the desert map though. I think the dunes give enough cover for melee most of the time and even though they are a bit too high giving archers some protection from cavalry, they are still at least reachable. One of those maps that require teamwork to win. Keep your team's best archer alive and profit. As cavalry, kill the enemy archers when they aren't protected and backstab melee when they are engaged. Pretty balanced, but a bit boring maybe when the team that camps more usually wins.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 04:11:33 pm »
The map rotation is complete garbage. Bring back more community maps instead of fucking open plains, ruins, villages. We could use more city maps. Its annoying dealing with cav and kiting archers everyday.

While you're at it, make it rain once a week.

Lol...all the maps right now are basically village maps with houses and buildings everywhere.  I consider most of them to be siege maps since you're fighting over what is obviously villages and castles (not battles).  There are no open plains maps in the rotation any more (back when there were 50 maps in the battle rotation open plains were played 2 times out of 52'ish and people still bitched about it).

We need more open maps, most of the maps we play now are counter-strike-esque (i.e. hallways, alleys, and other tight choke points that are a hindrance to cavalry). 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Wesleysnipes

• Earl
  • Renown: 371
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • SQUIDDONKULIOUS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: AoW squid
  • Game nicks: Wesley
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 05:24:55 pm »
+4
Oh wow, i feel so motivated now to do as you say and spend yet another couple dozen hours on making and editing maps just for you! For free, too!

We appreciate the responsibility, time, and effort you take. But one person is not enough to do this job. Let us help you please.
All I want is to help fix the map rotation that's all.

We need more open maps, most of the maps we play now are counter-strike-esque (i.e. hallways, alleys, and other tight choke points that are a hindrance to cavalry). 

Maybe we play on different servers but there are TONS of cavarly maps atm.
Dashing through the steppe, on a hundreds horse sleigh, o'er fields we go, laughing all the way. HOHOHO! It's Calamariclause and it's Christmas in April for the Squids.

http://www.insomniagamer.com/lp/leagueofangels/loapink/

Offline Protemus

• Earl
  • Renown: 346
  • Infamy: 270
  • cRPG Player
  • EZ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan EZ kills
  • Game nicks: niluK_the_Annoying aka EZ
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 11:13:44 pm »
I despise your class, your forum-avatar, your attitude, your looks, your valorwhoring at the end of each round, your posts and everything you like.

I love your homing axes Fin and your clanmates who are absolute trolls on EU_1, you know that team who have them will lose for sure.

Krems are love, Krems are life, Krems are trolls

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Melee Gaming
Protemus, You have received a warning for non-relevant posts in ban section also for personal attacks with disgusting insults on the forums. Chill out and enjoy the game. Regards, cRPG Team

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2014, 11:45:21 pm »
+1
Alright you entitled shits tell me the map that you want made and I will have it finished within the next two hours. I'm being totally serious.

Go.

disclaimer: 2 hours from the time I see your post, assuming I don't have like someone IRL text me and be like "hey come get a free blowjob daruvian", in which case I cannot be blamed

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2014, 11:51:17 pm »

That's what you call constructive feedback nowadays -_-' I feel your pain Fips
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2014, 11:52:42 pm »
+2
Seriously I'm literally just sitting here waiting to make a map.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2014, 11:57:34 pm »
someone IRL text me and be like "hey come get a free blowjob daruvian"

check your PMs  :oops:  :wink:

on a serious note: make a swamp map. Shallow pools, dead trees, a couple large unbroken pieces of land. Add docks and bridges and maybe some wooden shacks.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2014, 12:01:55 am »
You're a drawer, if you want to take like 10 minutes in paint and sketch a swamp map you'd like to see, I would make it... getting a cRPG map to look like a swamp would be pretty difficult though.

Offline Wesleysnipes

• Earl
  • Renown: 371
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • SQUIDDONKULIOUS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: AoW squid
  • Game nicks: Wesley
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2014, 12:04:47 am »
The rotation first then new maps. Everyone I talk to loves the old ATS community server maps! Bring em back and take out 75 percent of the ones we use now.
Dashing through the steppe, on a hundreds horse sleigh, o'er fields we go, laughing all the way. HOHOHO! It's Calamariclause and it's Christmas in April for the Squids.

http://www.insomniagamer.com/lp/leagueofangels/loapink/

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2014, 12:09:47 am »
+2
Fips, is there a way I can see the pool of maps that exist and then personally make my recommendations?
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2014, 12:16:17 am »
+2
Fips, is there a way I can see the pool of maps that exist and then personally make my recommendations?

They can all be found client-side. Just use your cRPG Launcher but instead of "Play cRPG" hit "Play Warband". In the drop-down menu of modules select "cRPG" instead of "Native" or whatever it is set on for you. Launch the game. Then hit "Scene Editor". Voila, there's all the maps.

If you want an easier way to see all of them at once then go to Warband/Modules/cRPG and look in the SceneObj folder to see all the map files (this is less complicated looking), or Scenes.txt to see all the maps, their names, and their terrain codes.