Author Topic: Map Rotation  (Read 4391 times)

Offline imisshotmail

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 504
  • Infamy: 428
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Map Rotation
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2014, 02:44:31 pm »
+2
And when you do imisshotmail, keep in mind that they are other aspects of gameplay than making maps only be beneficial for cav  :lol:

In general, height adds more to game play than it deters.

This is completely wrong. When I consider maps it's about what is fun for every class and height is only fun for ranged, hills are completely awful for melee to fight around and bad for cavalry too. Stairs and such are just wrong to have in a map because they remove a counter to a class completely and is part of why a lot of balance in cRPG is bad. Too many maps have places where ranged are completely safe from cavalry and that in turn makes melee the only target for them which then makes the melee unable to go after the ranged and they are 100% safe. It happens all the time and the only people who like that sort of gameplay are ranged players.

Maps should force ranged players to stay closer to their melee if they don't want to get wrecked by cav. That solves a lot of unfun gameplay in this mod, when ranged are closer to their teams melee it lets the enemy team melee have a chance to actually kill them instead of them always being able to kite and run away.

Honestly if you consider hills and stairways to be a good thing for gameplay in cRPG then the root of the map rotation problem has been found.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 02:50:47 pm by imisshotmail »

Offline imisshotmail

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2014, 02:57:45 pm »
+1
Almost all the maps in the rotation should be very flat, but with lots of cover to protect from cavalry and ranged, that is how all the good maps are that the majority of people like.

Offline Andswaru

• Duke
  • Renown: 554
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • SeaRaider_
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Andswaru
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2014, 03:03:15 pm »
Almost all the maps in the rotation should be very flat, but with lots of cover to protect from cavalry and ranged, that is how all the good maps are that the majority of people like.

Yes because cover works when people are abusing graphics to remove most of it.... its because of scenery removing idiots we need hills and stairs to act as cover for ranged and infantry.
Smooth is the admin NA deserves. Not being that much better, EU deserves Thomek.
[18:25] <@chadz> soon(tm)

Offline imisshotmail

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2014, 03:15:03 pm »
+3
Yes because cover works when people are abusing graphics to remove most of it.... its because of scenery removing idiots we need hills and stairs to act as cover for ranged and infantry.

The fuck are you even talking about? Cover is things like rocks and wooden tables turned over that act as a barrier so projectiles can't hit you, and cavalry can't just charge and bump you because they get reared. To a lesser extent masses of trees work too. If people use plants that don't have a hitbox for cover, that is stupid.

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2014, 04:27:15 pm »
I agree with BADPOSTER in general.

Offline Wesleysnipes

• Earl
  • Renown: 371
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • SQUIDDONKULIOUS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: AoW squid
  • Game nicks: Wesley
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2014, 06:54:23 pm »
+4
Why is it that all of the EU guys shoot down us NA? Is it possible to give a North American player the power to edit only NA map scenes/rotations? That way you don't have to deal with us and you can spread the resources to the other half of the community.
Dashing through the steppe, on a hundreds horse sleigh, o'er fields we go, laughing all the way. HOHOHO! It's Calamariclause and it's Christmas in April for the Squids.

http://www.insomniagamer.com/lp/leagueofangels/loapink/

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2014, 07:04:39 pm »
Is there any actual reasoning behind why they are instantly shot down? Mostly all of us think they are fun, and the odds of us all being wrong and the 2 or 3 people reviewing them being right are pretty small.

Difference in preferences, nothing wrong with that. It may also be true that some of them aren't very balanced but we find them fun. All the more reason that people in NA may prefer to have some unique maps like the community ones and Arena.

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2014, 08:00:39 pm »
+5
ADD ARENA TO NA MAP ROTATION 2014 OH AND FUCK YOU EU
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2014, 08:22:17 pm »
Why is it that all of the EU guys shoot down us NA? Is it possible to give a North American player the power to edit only NA map scenes/rotations? That way you don't have to deal with us and you can spread the resources to the other half of the community.
Find me the guy, I don't have the power to provide him with access to anything but I can and I am willing to directly implement the changes he comes up with to the NA 1 rotation. I am talking about zero interference or effort from my side and this person assuming responsibility for a one time overhaul. I guess he can try to reach out to the devs to get direct access, but this will be quicker for now.

Below are instructions and some basic explanation as to what this person needs to do. Said person needs to read this carefully and provide me with a new map rotation and the required files for the map rotation. I will write the files in there and copy pasta the rotation and then you'll have your own rotation.

Here is the NA 1 map rotation, warning, big list

(click to show/hide)

What you see here are all the maps that are in the current rotation. Any line that has an # in front of it gets ignored and is thus effectively removed. Any map that gets removed gets an # added, and it gets moved to the 'maps took off' section, then usually a short reason is provided as to why the map was removed for future reference. Any map that is currently in the cRPG module, which means any .sco file that is in the cRPG/SceneObj folder, can be instantly added by simply adding an add_map [.sco_file_name] in the rotation. Ordering is irrelevant, as the server picks a map randomly. NA map guy needs to provide me with a rotation list in the same format as the above one. Providing reasons for removal is appreciated, but if you are going for a very intensive overhaul I'll understand if you don't. I mostly added some of the 'maps taken off' list so you can see some of the more recent map removals in case you want any of them back.

You can view, edit and walk around in all the SceneObj files by launching cRPG without WSE2 and going into the Scene Editor.

If you want a map in the rotation that is not in the SceneObj folder it has to be added in the same vein to the rotation, but you also need to provide me with an .sco file of the map and the terrain code of the map. Terrain codes are found in the scenes.txt file of a Warband module while editing your map, but any map that has been uploaded by the mapper contains both the .sco file and a terrain code. Here's an example.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/y4832v2dbydjkid/Lakeside+Abbey.rar

Which means that if you want to add 40 new maps, you need to upload 40 .sco filesand terrain codes using Dropbox or whatever and provide me with the link. Make sure it is very clear which terrain code belongs to which .sco file. Also make sure that the .sco files are properly named. I will capitalize the names of the .sco file when I implement it, so scn_lakeside_abbey.sco will be named Lakeside Abbey. Don't provide me with scn_blank_116 or scn_mpmap4.

Lastly if you want to edit a map that is already in the module, you need to provide me with an updated .sco file with same name as the one that is already in the module.

So in short. If some NA guy provides me with a proper rotation list and the .sco files and terrain codes that are required for making that rotation, I will implement it. Additions, removals and edits of already implemented maps will take effect on the next server restart, adding maps that arent in the module obviously requires a patch. I don't care who does it, how you decide what gets in and where you find it, but I need what I need.

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2014, 08:25:11 pm »
Hey! If they want to add 40 maps that would mean i have to add 40 maps to the code.

You monster. Tell em to add 4 maps. =/

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2014, 08:29:33 pm »
Hey! If they want to add 40 maps that would mean i have to add 40 maps to the code.

You monster. Tell em to add 4 maps. =/
If you get me up to date .py files I'll do it, don't worry.

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2014, 08:35:00 pm »
Assumptions

Noted.

No one is shooting down NA. But fact is we have this discussion every couple of months and no one from NA is willing to do the actual work. If you're interested, poke any one of us in IRC.
Monkeys!

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2014, 08:37:03 pm »
I volunteer as tribute. I have all the necessary skills.

edit: and if anyone is curious, I didn't finish the 2-hour map challenge last night because i got drunk

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2014, 09:27:11 pm »
If you get me up to date .py files I'll do it, don't worry.

Atta boy =D

Yeah, i'll do that then.

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2014, 09:31:43 pm »
Bariyye and Pueblo Village are horrible.  Please take them out.  Unless you think ranged standing on the highest parts of the map, with only two narrow entrances which are generally climbing up ladders or stairs is a good representation of balanced gameplay.

Ice Age is bad for multiple reasons.  #1, its all blue.  What the hell is that?  #2 there is that fallen house that people can get stuck in the window and can't get out.  #3 there is a hill on the area surrounding the lake or river, and archers just sit there shooting into the center of the map, most infantry charging that hill got shot to shreds.  And worst of all, only one team gets that hill.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 09:35:03 pm by MURDERTRON »
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄