Author Topic: Battle Map - Farm By Ruins  (Read 5751 times)

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Map - Farm By Ruins
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2013, 02:27:49 pm »
+3
I prefer a balanced "quantity/quality" numbers of exploitable places per map, than a balanced flat as my butt map.

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2013, 02:31:19 pm »
+2
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 268
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2013, 03:17:03 pm »
+2
I think that what is happening in this thread is good. We all needed somewhere to give suggestions, Teeth, you needed to hear what people thought about the maps since you're editing them and this has turned in to the place to do it. Thank you all for posting, you're doing a great job.

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • Renown: 1168
  • Infamy: 616
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2013, 03:31:11 pm »
+5
IMO we should remove teeth's position as mapguy and ban him from crpg permanently

as well as charge him €50 for being naughty and smelling homeless
I 10/10'd cRPG on moddb.com!

Do your bit for our community and write a 10/10 review for cRPG on http://www.moddb.com/mods/crpg !

Offline PsychoTwins

• Earl
  • Renown: 453
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: FarmerBob, NinjaBob, 20PingIsHardBob, StrIsHardBob, HaxorBob
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2013, 03:34:41 pm »
+1
Remove this spot, yes or no? One team gets here first, they can parkour up here and have an excellent position overlooking the popular fighting spots. It got used each round by some ranged last time I played the map.

I wanna say I want that spot removed, but its not THAT bad, and I usually can sneak up there without the ranged guy seeing me. Its also really open so the ranged up there usually get shot down right away.
Here, dear crpg folk, we have an honest man who doesn't conceal the truth out of the fear of getting nerfed. He surely deserves a round of heartfelt applause.

Offline dynamike

• King
  • Renown: 1212
  • Infamy: 187
  • Let's be friends again?
    • View Profile
    • The Remnants Clan Website
  • Faction: Stratia
  • Game nicks: Remnant_dynamike
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2013, 06:07:07 pm »
+10
Teeth, I have tried to explain my opinion before and I am interested if the community feels the same way.

To make it simple:

Overall balance in interesting and diversified maps with advantages for different classes

over

Individual balance inside each and every map, which makes them dull and boring

I appreciate the job you and Fips are doing, but removing every possible aspect of a map that favors one class over another is the wrong way of achieving balance. If anything, the old rotation with more imbalances might have been frustrating for some classes in some maps, but more (and more overall) fun in others.
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline Legs

• Marshall
  • Renown: 819
  • Infamy: 88
  • cRPG Player
  • Loco Motive
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arms, Legs
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2013, 01:59:34 am »
I'd really love to give feedback on maps, but for some reason whenever I up/downvote it gives the wrong name.

So... everything sux kill urselv seen editorz
Legs are used for standing, walking, jumping, running, kicking, and similar activities.

Offline Kajia

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Kajia
  • IRC nick: Kajia_
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2013, 02:14:11 am »
(click to show/hide)

It's this map. I removed that staircase on the left and the ladder that is in the square ruined area on the right.
ಠ_ಠ

tell me, what sense does a map make without spots that are of strategic importance? why not make all maps flat and remove every scene prop? that would be something for a change. it's so fair, that everyone will be happy. wait, did someone say cav-map?
hey, aren't you playing cav too?

Teeth, I have tried to explain my opinion before and I am interested if the community feels the same way.

To make it simple:

Overall balance in interesting and diversified maps with advantages for different classes

over

Individual balance inside each and every map, which makes them dull and boring

I appreciate the job you and Fips are doing, but removing every possible aspect of a map that favors one class over another is the wrong way of achieving balance. If anything, the old rotation with more imbalances might have been frustrating for some classes in some maps, but more (and more overall) fun in others.
this.

Kajia's Workshop
(cRPG artwork showcase)

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2013, 02:19:06 am »
ಠ_ಠ

tell me, what sense does a map make without spots that are of strategic importance? why not make all maps flat and remove every scene prop? that would be something for a change. it's so fair, that everyone will be happy. wait, did someone say cav-map?

this.

Teeth is one of EUs most dedicated longspearmy old friends...
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2013, 01:47:03 pm »
+1
ಠ_ಠ

this.
This spot is not of strategic importance as one team spawns much closer than the other, which means that the clashing point of both teams is about 30 meters down the road. It gives one team a good vantage point to shoot from though without giving any equivalent to the other team. Usually the round gets decided along that lengthy ruin prop down the road and then if the one team wins they get to clear out this tower. This spot only becomes of strategic importance when the other team won the main fight and they get to clear out this ruin tower if ranged are up there, which proves difficult so rounds get delayed. Two ranged up there makes it difficult for a low volume of any type of classes to clear it out.

An accusations of cav bias is just unnecessary and hostile.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2013, 02:25:18 pm »
+6
(click to show/hide)

I agree with your last post but my take on this "particular" map is that this spot was unbalanced but not powerful enough to dictate the round, except if people heavily exploited it.
For me it was just a possible position where people went or not.

This is the source of the problem I think. When does a tactically "suitable position" becomes too powerful that it needs to be toned down or removed?

(click to show/hide)

Also, the "fun" factor heavily outweight the "unbalanced" factor in most cases. Positions on the maps are like chains of events that can lead to a different result in each battles. If you decrease the number of position events in maps, you send people to kill each other in a narrower tunnel, where fewer scenarios leads to fewer results and increased boredom.

And boredom in a game is never good  :P

A more detailed take on "fun" in cRPG :

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 02:47:23 pm by Butan »

Offline dynamike

• King
  • Renown: 1212
  • Infamy: 187
  • Let's be friends again?
    • View Profile
    • The Remnants Clan Website
  • Faction: Stratia
  • Game nicks: Remnant_dynamike
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2013, 02:46:01 pm »
+1
Also, the "fun" factor heavily outweight the "unbalanced" factor in most cases. Positions on the maps are like chains of events that can lead to a different result in each battles. If you decrease the number of position events in maps, you send people to kill each other in a narrower tunnel, where fewer scenarios leads to fewer results and increased boredom.

And boredom in a game is never good  :P

Change your name to Butane and light a match cuz' you are on fire, my friend. I agree completely.
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2013, 03:19:38 pm »
Although I think I disagree a bit about teeth's approach to maps, I also like the way that someone is putting effort into it and designing maps based on some form of principles. That kind of approach is what makes a game better.

I also fully agree with butan and dynamike, there is no other thing left for me to say about my opinions as they pretty summed it.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline pingpong

• Earl
  • Renown: 423
  • Infamy: 220
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2013, 05:38:12 pm »
(click to show/hide)

My problem with this map is the location of tower, the team who starts from the green line spawn is ALWAYS first to climb up the tower & camp it with ranged and win, while the other team coming from red spawn loses most of the time, so i suggest you delete that stupid looking house on a hill with no stairs to it marked with red X and move the tower there and return the stairs marked in blue to both sides of that hill. MAP FIXED.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2013, 05:50:25 pm »
+1
Interesting, when I played it last night the other team reached the stairs first everytime, think you gotta be careful with the term always. Maybe they just had a few guys with more athlethics running a better path. Really, you want it up there? So you have to first climb the stairs, then climb a tower whose top is a 30 meters above the playing field. Doing that will remove the tower's central position on the map and most likely remove any player interest towards it. Such a height actually makes it hard for ranged to hit targets on ground level. Alternatively I could just check the spawn distances to the staircase and move spawns accordingly, if there is in fact a notable difference.

Oh and for those claiming that I am biased towards a certain class, I readded ^ that map with a central tower, as I do not mind camping spots as long as they are not one sided and/or cause deadlock situations. The OP's map camping spot was both one sided and created deadlock situations.