Author Topic: Battle Map - Farm By Ruins  (Read 5784 times)

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
Re: Battle Map - Farm By Ruins
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2013, 10:31:40 pm »
+2
+1

Sorry :(

With an avatar like that you don't have to apologize for anything!  :)

Offline Dermik

• Knight
  • Renown: 74
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • DEFENDING_THE_STAIRS
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Defending_the_stairs,Conqueror_litchin,Fagssassin
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2013, 11:13:50 pm »
+9
Maps Before
(click to show/hide)
. Maps today :
(click to show/hide)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

AKA : DEFENDING_THE_STAIRS

Offline Bittersteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 919
  • Infamy: 199
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Créme
  • Game nicks: Tybalt_von_Krems, Lennart_Bladh
  • IRC nick: Bittersteel
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2013, 11:21:20 pm »
+3
Yeah why is there a car on the map? Nerf

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2013, 11:31:48 pm »
Yeah why is there a car on the map? Nerf
Cars OP, nerf plz.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2013, 11:36:59 pm »
Teeth, I don't get why you'd removed these staircases but not block off the uncavreachable upper floors on ruins in Native - Ruins, those places are far better camping spots, are camped far more, and provide cover from ranged.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Barabe
  • Game nicks: POOPHAMMER
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2013, 11:52:04 pm »
+9
i cant wait for the next big map updates where all objects are removed and everything is one flat plains map

seriously stop sucking the fun out of crpg
Uther Pendragon: dont worry i wasnt planning on trusting you anyway

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2013, 11:59:08 pm »
+1
Teeth, I don't get why you'd removed these staircases but not block off the uncavreachable upper floors on ruins in Native - Ruins, those places are far better camping spots, are camped far more, and provide cover from ranged.

Well in that map, the ruins are pretty much equal distances from either spawn. They're also not as tall, and don't offer a 360 degree view of EVERYTHING below for archers to (ab)use.

I loved the map with that wooden tower. I loved Native - Village. I'll miss these things but it's true that they offer one team an unfair advantage. Although I thought the wooden tower one was balanced but got removed because it led to camping/delaying whether that was intended by the players or not.

You don't need to make a map flat and empty to balance it for both teams. It's just harder to make it interesting AND balanced instead of one or the other.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2013, 12:17:04 am »
+8
As a melee player, this change should actually be something positive, but I can't stop to wonder and think how dull things might get eventually.

All the props dynamism, gameplay adjustments, etc, we need them.

Players here, qq or not, are showing their opinion regarding the subject, and criticism is something that needs to be accepted and evaluated, for a better result.

Keep having fun ingame guys. :)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2013, 12:57:16 am »
+4
That tower was not my doing though. I don't mind towers as long as they are exactly centered in between the spawns, if an unfair advantage is gained, atleast people fought for it. I added Horseshoe Canyon with a tower in the center. I don't get how that adds variety though, exactly having such a spot pretty much forces people to play the same way each time, instead of having the freedom of going a completely different direction. I could re-open the tower here no problem, if I get convinced that people want it?

(click to show/hide)

Ruins is a bit unfair with the good positions one team's ranged gets, but there is no real way to really modify that position without changing up the entire map and people love Ruins dearly so I don't dare to touch it. It's that one ruined prop though which just provides a good camping spot in many maps by default because it is a one entrance room on the top floor. It's pretty easy to scale a 1 meter high staircase though compared to a 4 meter high one while ranged pours down on you or from the front and back for the last bit.

maybe people who arent favouring certain classes should make maps
Oh yeah, this comment. I am fairly sure that anyone is free and encouraged to make maps, so if you consider yourself such a person, please make maps. If people want more diverse or funny maps, there are still some cool unexplored ideas with siege towers in battle, cool things you can do with gates and I think you can doorpault by opening stretched doors. I myself think that gimmicky fun quickly wears off for people and that they prefer a 'boring' but solid regular battle experience. I do not favour certain classes, I just do not enjoy camping because it draws out rounds while keeping most players waiting to be able to play again. Whether its done on hard to reach high ground by ranged or small entrance buildings by melee. I prefer not to add maps without any cover because crossbows and melee get a rough time and I do not add dungeon maps because they are unplayable for cav and archers. My goal is that any class can play any kind of character and have a good time, preferably without having 6 minute rounds all the time because people have to wait for flags because of superior camping positions.

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2013, 01:52:08 am »
Teeth, how about adding another (preferably cav accessible but not all that cav friendly) way up there? Like a dead tree leaning up against the ruin or something, that would imo make that spot a lot nicer. Jacko closed the villages central tower (and the door into the garden) up waaay back, fairly sure he had a poll going on whether it should stay open or be closed as well, if you do open the tower I suggest at least adding some raiseable ladders that leads up to the top so 3 maulers and 3 xbowies won't force MotF with 15+ people on the other team.

No offense Fips, but you really should be more open to criticism, even if it isn't insanely constructive.

Also I'm guessing you either missed it or never edited the current map cycle post, but I requested my map be removed due to a satisfying fix taking longer than I'm willing to spend making right now.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Legs

• Marshall
  • Renown: 819
  • Infamy: 88
  • cRPG Player
  • Loco Motive
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arms, Legs
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2013, 02:05:24 am »
+2
This is kind of unrelated but... out of curiosity, why didn't the upvote/downvote system end up panning out? Even if it needed a little tweaking it seemed like a good source of data that you could base changes off of.
Legs are used for standing, walking, jumping, running, kicking, and similar activities.

Offline Fips

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2013, 02:44:20 am »
Sorry, but if someone doesn't take the time to post some constructive feedback, i really can't be arsed to take him seriously. I'm all open for criticism, but the General Discussion rarely ended up in anything but threads like these here.

Best example was the latest discussion about the NA2 rotation: http://forum.melee.org/general-discussion/i-will-donate-to-crpg-if-devs-give-na_2-map-control-to-the-community/
All this big talk about grouping up, discussing the problems and posting a solution to scene management. Guess what, nothing happened. It ended with a talk between Elindor and me that brought some change to NA2, although the result was probably not even close to what the guys in that thread had in mind. I merely deleted 3 maps out of the rotation.

Anything that you post in Scene Editing will be taken seriously if you have the intention to make some actual feedback. Heck, the threads in General Discussion might not even be read by the people that can take care of the problem.

Also, your map is out of the rotation...at least get your facts straight.

@legs: I would take one reasonable post in the feedback thread over a thousand votes from ingame. I don't wanna know if a map is bad or good, i want to know what is wrong with it and how to fix it. Only if 2 or 3 updates didn't show any progress on the map it should be get rid off.

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2013, 03:03:15 am »
+2
Also, your map is out of the rotation...at least get your facts straight.
Am I correct in sensing a slight rude undertone? And if you read my post properly instead of just shittalking it you'd notice that I said "Also I'm guessing you either missed it or never edited the current map cycle post, but I requested my map be removed due to a satisfying fix taking longer than I'm willing to spend making right now.", which proves that I looked at the only source available to us and even though it hadn't been edited since September figured better safe than sorry. Ain't it a bit silly that one of the two guys who are supposed to be providing the server rotation information looks down on me for not knowing it when he hasn't provided it?

If you want feedback posted in the scene editing section bother Nessaj into renaming it "MAP FEEDBACK AND SUBMISSIONS" so people will know what the section is about.

It might not be particularly polite feedback, but saying that he feels that you're removing "any way to ascend anything on a map without glitching" is constructive.

Offline Fips

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2013, 03:33:16 am »
No, you're not really correct. Didn't really think about that this thread is not updated anymore since the latest patch, sorry about that. I just assumed it was.

Doesn't really affect anything about the feedback arguments, though. The maps are still found there and the few new ones should be at some point, too. But then again, if you are serious about posting good feedback, you will probably be so good to take a screenshot ingame when you find out something is wrong about a particular map as well, or at least push qmd to know the map names (Although the names are messed up, we can still find out what map name belongs to what map).

Rename might make it more obvious for new guys, but usually the ones that complain here should know very well what the Scene Editing is about. Whenever i find a thread like that either myself, teeth or someone else usually points towards scene editing anyway, but yet barely anyone spares some time to go there.

Yeah, but if you start your post with "You seriously took both sets of stairs from the ruins. This game just gets worse and worse." and end it with a picture like that, what the hell do you expect from us? I'm not gonna dig in between all the rage, random and unnessecary accusations, insults and whatnot for some constructive criticism. We applied for this voluntarily and were the only ones that applied, so you should at least show some kind of gratitude when you want us to change something. We could be out of this at any time we seem fit and then your left with people that are busy with Melee if noone else is going to volunteer again.
I'm not asking you guys to bow down and kiss my ass to get something to change...so c'mon, give us a break.

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2013, 07:51:39 am »
+2
These kinds of changes just dumb down the game and make interesting maps like this boring and generic.

Like that one village map with the big tower in the center. Sometimes people ignored the tower and it was only occupied by a couple of archers and maybe a ninja. Sometimes a whole team piled in and threatened to kill hostages unless their demands were met. Sometimes half the team piled in and the rest of them died because they were outnumbered and it was a colossal failure. Etc. It made the map really interesting and dynamic... until someone said "fuck towers" and sealed the doors. Now every round on that map is the same since everyone just runs into the village and kills each other and it's totally lame.

Removing the stairs/ladder on "Farm By Ruins" doesn't really bother me since I never used them anyway, but I am bothered by the general trend that these changes represent.

Dude that was one of my favorite maps until someone plugged up the tower. As a guy who loved that map as it was when I was ranged and melee, it really should be reopened. Was awesome to have last stands in that tower or to surround it and rush it.

It really killed that map for me when it was closed off. Had that map come out with the tower already closed off it might still be ok but once you had the taste of it.. it just doesn't do it for you anymore once its gone.