Poll

Please specify how item classes should be changed: (v0.223)

Buff horses
192 (7%)
Buff armor
162 (5.9%)
Buff one handed weapons
195 (7.1%)
Buff two handed weapons
140 (5.1%)
Buff polearms
98 (3.6%)
Buff shield
120 (4.4%)
Buff thrown
264 (9.6%)
Buff bow
151 (5.5%)
Buff crossbow
85 (3.1%)
Nerf horses
144 (5.2%)
Nerf armor
80 (2.9%)
Nerf one handed weapons
79 (2.9%)
Nerf two handed weapons
180 (6.5%)
Nerf polearms
209 (7.6%)
Nerf shield
117 (4.2%)
Nerf thrown
89 (3.2%)
Nerf bow
153 (5.5%)
Nerf crossbow
174 (6.3%)
Leave everything as is. (overrides all other options)
125 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 973

Voting closed: May 31, 2011, 02:13:07 pm

Author Topic: Official Survey about item power  (Read 70160 times)

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Official Survey about item power
« Reply #360 on: May 31, 2011, 06:12:07 pm »
I think you guys can safely assume that the "buff armor" vote was quite a few people saying "I wear armor, lets buff that!" Since more people wear armor then don't. I agree that plate is already pretty effective.
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 31, 2011, 06:58:47 pm »
I think you guys can safely assume that the "buff armor" vote was quite a few people saying "I wear armor, lets buff that!" Since more people wear armor then don't. I agree that plate is already pretty effective.

I'd like it if the buff wasn't a stat buff, but a price decrease for armors.

Offline DarkFox

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 31, 2011, 08:10:13 pm »
but a price decrease for armors.
LOL

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 31, 2011, 08:57:03 pm »
LOL

Mmh... You think prices are low enough or my english wasn't right ?  :?

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #364 on: May 31, 2011, 09:00:55 pm »
Mmh... You think prices are low enough or my english wasn't right ?  :?

Cheap armor is as effective as its price would indicate. Midrange armors are wearable every round by most and offer a decent protection of speed and damage absorption. At the top end of the spectrum is plate which makes you superhuman, but also slower (in theory) and is expensive to maintain before one has a deep bankroll.

What is the problem with armor that people are discussing?

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #365 on: May 31, 2011, 09:04:49 pm »
I'd like it if the buff wasn't a stat buff, but a price decrease for armors.

EXCEPT, that chadz wrote in the opening message :"buff <item class> - would I like the fact that every item in that class would get it's stats increased by 5%."
So... nop, it definitely won't be a price decrease anyway.

@Cheapshot : I didn't even thought of that !  :shock: How smart of you. It proves that theres nearly this many people that vote to buff what they're using without second thought of balance. (some of them posted that they wanted to "last" for longer in duels", unlike all thoses 1h buffs that come from nowhere)
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #366 on: May 31, 2011, 09:05:55 pm »
The close results seem to confirm that everything is pretty balanced, the only one standing out is throwing that is being worked on anyway.

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #367 on: May 31, 2011, 09:12:39 pm »

I voted buff armor because plate should shrug off everything but heavy 2H, high power pierce, and crossbows. I would like it to be expensive as it is effective too. Also, base health should be lowered, to increase the gap between low and high armors. This is entirely for realism purposes and not because I personally think plate is neato.

There are too many alterations on my wish list to simply get away with asking for "armor buff" and having people understand why it would still be fair and cool. Its not as simple as that.

I'm really getting tired of both the people who ask for changes because of their personal play style and the people who assume that is everyone's motive.

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 01, 2011, 03:41:58 am »
The close results seem to confirm that everything is pretty balanced, the only one standing out is throwing that is being worked on anyway.

Cool. Any word on what changes are in the works? I've been trying to get dev people into the game balance discussion forum but I've had no luck. While it is cool that everyone thinks throwing needs buffs, a cross board +5% damage or whatever wont actually do much for it so it'd be cool to discuss it with devs over there.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 03:43:07 am by Cheap_Shot »
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #369 on: June 01, 2011, 06:26:56 am »
I still have my old "nerf soak, buff reduce" idea that would be an indirect buff to 1handers because bounce offs would be less likely as a result of the weaker soak. On the other side 1 or 2 hit death against heavier armor would become rarer with a stronger reduce effect, which is an indirect nerf to crossbows and heavy hitters. But I guess people like their glancing blows too much for this change to happen.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 06:28:31 am by Paul »

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #370 on: June 01, 2011, 06:27:50 am »
try kill a tin can with an one hand axe... it's going to take a while  :D
Try killing a tin can with a katana or any other speedy 2h weapon, it's going to take nearly as long as if it were 1 hander. Probably only 1 or 2 hit difference at most, which is how it should be, otherwise there'd be absolutely no reason to use a two-hander, now would there?

Definitely, You simply can't ignore the 125 votes of "leave everything as it is". Subtract 125 from all the buff/nerfs of each option and it's a much more telling picture. Then you have to account for the people who voted to buff/nerf a class simply because it's their class or the counter to their class. Cosmos' graphs are nice, but they don't take either of these two things into account. I also don't know of a single skilled one-hander that thinks they need a buff so really, aside from the buff to throwing, I wouldn't imagine much needs to be done.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 07:35:06 am by Tydeus »
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Espu

• The good
  • Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Espu
« Reply #371 on: June 01, 2011, 08:43:15 am »
We intend to post anonymized vote data matched with forum accounts set character main class. This allows doing all kinds of cool stuff, like what classes want to buff what and so on.

If you want your votes to include class data, be sure to set your main char.

Offline Corwin

• Earl
  • Renown: 499
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corwin_the_Lazy
« Reply #372 on: June 01, 2011, 09:38:52 am »
To be honest, the longer I play after this patch, more I feel as if the balance is almost achieved. I would like to see some weapons nerfed of buffed, and I think that upkeep for horses should be higher, but overall I have to say - good job, guys.
I mean, what have you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing, what have you lost? Nothing!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 01, 2011, 11:28:06 am »
You simply can't ignore the 125 votes of "leave everything as it is". Subtract 125 from all the buff/nerfs of each option and it's a much more telling picture. Then you have to account for the people who voted to buff/nerf a class simply because it's their class or the counter to their class. Cosmos' graphs are nice, but they don't take either of these two things into account.

You're being silly, for two reasons.

a) 125 votes for no change, yes, but out of 973. I don't know about you, but to me that suggests most people still want to see something changed. Now, we have how many poll options? 19. So what you're trying to do is to count each of those "no change" votes no less than 18 times. The correct number to subtract would be seven votes from each other option. Hardly much of an issue, and honestly a pretty pointless thing to do in the first place.

b) You don't have access to that data, so it's useless to speculate about. Best thing to do is assume it's more or less equal for all cases and look at the balance of nerf/buff votes, like Cosmos did -- at least while we wait for what Vargas has to say.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 12:21:22 pm by okiN »
Don't.

Offline Toffi

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Honoured Guard)
« Reply #374 on: June 01, 2011, 12:15:10 pm »
wtf nerf polearms and buff thrown... you guys are sick