Author Topic: Varyag's testimony on the current state of cRPG  (Read 25859 times)

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Varyag's testimony on the current state of cRPG
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2011, 05:17:31 pm »
I barely got above peasant before the upkeep patch but it was fun, more so than now
I realised that there were tin cans, much higher level than me. I didn't moan. I got a winged mace and did some damage! I only had one character, after the patch I got up to seven, because the one character that I had leveled so quickly and obtained all the equipment I wanted.
People can't play the builds they want all the time now. That surely removes a large part of the RPG from cRPG
If you saw a guy on a horse on your team, you knew he had clocked a lot of hours and would probaly help you win. Same if you saw a guy with a longbow etc
Of course tis is pointless because of all the players who want things now, now, now, now and don't want to invest time in their character
For me, this has taken a turn towards CoD. Not because of the ranged but because of the way you level, "prestife", level, "prestige". Why not go the whole hog and put different weapons at different level unlocks?
This is partly why I don't play anymore. Also because of, IMO, better MP mods such as Invasion and the new F&S coming out. But if this mod were good and I developed some sort of bond with my character who I had to play for hours to level or buy the padded jacket then maybe I'd stay.
On that note, about 60% of my characters time was spent in that padded jacket. Yes it only gave me 25 body armour but it was the first armour I purchased to make me not look like I peasant. I felt joyous the first time I put it on. Now it's my low-tier armour for when I'm low on gold
cRPG has lost the substance it had, lost the idea that you're playing YOU
It's just a bit arcadey

P.S. Abondon it and make one for F&S, with the original leveling and gold system

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2011, 07:38:32 pm »
Btw it was me that gave you that last vote, getting you muted <3

+1 for you, good job sir.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2011, 08:25:16 pm »
Still remains a fact that cRPG has a far larger playerbase than any other mod and other than Mount and Musket no other mod fills even one large server, hell most of them struggle to fill a single small server.Infact a large % of people who play Warband MP, play cRPG, so those who keep playing must be enjoying it.

If these changes didn't happen, I wouldn't have started playing again, I stopped playing pre-patch because I got completely bored of it, including Strategus. Far more variety on the field now, it's alot more enjoyable and people have to actually think about what equipment they're going to use, rather than just slapping on the most expensive stuff without any downside in doing so.

Offline Huey Newton

• Duke
  • Renown: 555
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Huey_Newton
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2011, 09:10:18 pm »
The magic and frustration that occured pre-patch ran hand in hand. And I loved it.
Working towards an item for days and even weeks at a time. Then finally getting it. And typing to the whole server

"LOOK AT MY NEW BRIGANDINE, SWEET HUH"

well maybe that was just me, but reguardless
the sense of adventure of cRPG is long gone and I think it will never come back.
Strategus will make things very interesting and hopefully take our minds off of the good ol days.

Huey Newton

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2011, 09:54:44 pm »
The magic and frustration that occured pre-patch ran hand in hand. And I loved it.
Working towards an item for days and even weeks at a time. Then finally getting it. And typing to the whole server

"LOOK AT MY NEW BRIGANDINE, SWEET HUH"

well maybe that was just me, but reguardless
the sense of adventure of cRPG is long gone and I think it will never come back.
Strategus will make things very interesting and hopefully take our minds off of the good ol days.

Huey Newton

Nah, I remember when I checked the list of armour back then and.. MAIL AND PLATE OMG I WANT  :shock:..
I played for it for days.. and finally when I got it, then the leg armour, gloves, and finally a cool helmet that fits to my armor, and the Elegant Poleaxe..

Oh god every item felt like opening a Christmas gift box.  :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 09:55:47 pm by Christo »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Rhade

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: BkS_Rhade
« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2011, 10:42:50 pm »
Grinding is easier.

Great.

cRPG is not about grinding.

All you're advocating and pining for the loss of is, in essence, grinding.

I, for one, disagree wholeheartedly -- if you want to grind, go find a nice Korean mmo, there are lots of them. Many people now confuse "RPG" with "grind", but that's not necessarily true.

Offline Huey Newton

• Duke
  • Renown: 555
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Huey_Newton
« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2011, 10:56:24 pm »
Grinding is easier.

Great.

cRPG is not about grinding.

All you're advocating and pining for the loss of is, in essence, grinding.

I, for one, disagree wholeheartedly -- if you want to grind, go find a nice Korean mmo, there are lots of them. Many people now confuse "RPG" with "grind", but that's not necessarily true.

What is cRPG about then
surely not just character customization
Because if it was, everyone would just start out with level 31 worth of skill and atrribute points and be allowed to distribute them however.
Also every item would be free and everyones free to wear whatever if they meet requirements.

Crpg is about grinding, character customization, a database where it can be stored, a place where clan activity has meaning (strategus) and of course trolling

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2011, 11:27:10 pm »
this is the current state of cRPG

Sadly true.

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2011, 11:59:09 pm »
I must agree with the OP, i stopped playing (maybe i log on once a week to do some duels). I will come back if crpg gets developed again, until then i'll just play other games.

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #114 on: April 25, 2011, 12:32:51 am »
This game/mod keeps my interest because i can change build as much as i like and customize my character so it is exactly as i want it to be :D

I usually get a new build, practice it, try to find the perfect build, and once i'm satisfied, i try a new build.

this gives me a lot of change so the game doesnt get boring

Offline Moscher

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2011, 12:40:16 am »
Its extremly boring now after repair patch,

i write the complete guide planed/organisized  with other players that the guides come in 8 different languages

We get many player with the guides, i wrote in many forum about crpg.

It come no thanks from any admin,moderator  or chadz. After the repair patch, i play only some times in the week if i get bored. But it is not the same crpg. Its a stupid grinding crpg with cap. Before it was a grinding crpg where you can reach a dream of great weapons and skill points.

I think crpg in this form with no development is dead.

I dont wanna attack someone, it is not my mod and chadz sayed that if we dont like this repair mod, we can leave. And i think 50 -70 % are gone.

Sorry for my english, i am from germany

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 12:41:28 am by Moscher »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2011, 01:04:25 am »
The population of this mod radically changed with the patch, and the mindset of those who stayed changed. Not for the better, that for sure. We lost the atmosphere of friendship there was among players, because others weren't really in your way. Now everyone apart from your clan is an enemy, and you must be effective, since it will grant you the holy multiplier. Just watch how half a team disconnects when they loose their x5. Everything has gone into winning the rounds, not having fun. Honor, fairplay and such things are gone. Very few people are really customizing their char, simply because everyone knows builds that work very well, you just have to choose what game mechanic you want to exploit. Watch around you and count the ones fitting a theme or trying odd ways of fighting, there were much more before everything you did had to be devoted to victory.

Prepatch, sure, long time grinders had an advantage. But nobody cared about that, except on rare occasions when disbalances were detrimental to the fun (armored HAs...). Now even a peasant has to be balanced with a knight. In practice it has been done the hard way, by simply removing the possibility of expensive equipment. It was a complete fail because imbalances aren't linked at all with equipment cost. Plate armors isn't good at level 30 since it slows you down way too much, and many cheap weapons are dirty OP. The upkeep makes it impossible to roleplay a knight.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2011, 01:06:41 am »
I have been playing for a few days now after I satisfied myself with all of the single player mods available.

I don't think my opinion carries much weight as far as character balance goes, since I am still very new, but a lot of STR heavy builds seems to be severely debilitated. I browse through the list of available weapons/armor, and most of it caters to those with low to medium strength.

I would be fine with this because patches can fix problems, but the whole peasant thing from 0 to 20 feels really unneeded. I dreaded losing to anything and everything until level 17 or so.

There is no point to being pretty much useless for hours and hours. Once I got to level 15, I felt as though I put in too much effort to want to re-stat, also. I believe there isn't enough customization with creating one character and sticking with them for 40+ hours.

So all in all:
1. Items that don't all cater to a specific build (and in some cases, items used effectively through any build needs to go)
2. More build malleability. My character does not feel very customizable since I feel as though I need to build him along a set predetermined path.
3. Efforts to make balance. People usually prefer balance by buffing the weak instead of nerfing the strong.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2011, 04:44:14 am »
The last posters point carries more weight than antone else.

He is new and fresh to cRPG. Yet to be corrupted by it.

He may not have experienced all but this is the person the devs want to cater for according to the justification for their past actions.

IMO str builds are you best bet ATM with 150 as the max realistic WPF
Turtles

Offline Babelfish

• Knight
  • Renown: 62
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 25, 2011, 01:11:42 pm »
Since some over zealous moderator locked the 'The Final Solution to the Archer Issue' i might as-well post my reply on this thread, since its not entirely off-topic.

Archers say they only have 32 (bodkin) arrows and thus are unable to kill as many as they wish to. What they seem to forget is that there are tons of other archers out there with the same amount of arrows.

To be kind, lets say out of 100 people on the battle server, 20 people are playing as archers. Thats 10 archers per team.

If every archer fire all his arrows (based on bodkin) thats 640 arrows.. Most archer probably wont fire them all, depending on map & luck.
 So lets say 75% of the arrows gets fired. Thats 480 arrows per round...

If we add in the xbows & throwing projectiles, it is no wonder people hate range.