Author Topic: Varyag's testimony on the current state of cRPG  (Read 25813 times)

Offline VicTheBear

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • You guys are dicks, and I'll drink to that.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: VicTheBear
  • IRC nick: VicTheBear
Re: Varyag's testimony on the current state of cRPG
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2011, 02:05:52 pm »
Since some over zealous moderator locked the 'The Final Solution to the Archer Issue' i might as-well post my reply on this thread, since its not entirely off-topic.

Archers say they only have 32 (bodkin) arrows and thus are unable to kill as many as they wish to. What they seem to forget is that there are tons of other archers out there with the same amount of arrows.

To be kind, lets say out of 100 people on the battle server, 20 people are playing as archers. Thats 10 archers per team.

If every archer fire all his arrows (based on bodkin) thats 640 arrows.. Most archer probably wont fire them all, depending on map & luck.
 So lets say 75% of the arrows gets fired. Thats 480 arrows per round...

If we add in the xbows & throwing projectiles, it is no wonder people hate range.

It takes more than one arrow to kill someone though.
I'm lvl 31 with 144 prof and I use a warbow and it still takes 2+ arrows to kill anyone in decent armor or someone with str/ironflesh high enough to matter.
The only complaint I've had with archery the entire time I've played crpg (way back to pre-retirement days) is that it's meant to be a support class and with this mod it's impossible to be a support character. You get nothing out of it. Not even a useless little number on the website to boost your ego. I can look and see how many people I've killed, but I get nothing for shooting someone 3 times and having a teammate who happened to be closer to the guy walk over and overhead him and get a kill that should have been mine.
But that's how archery should be. Anything else would just break the mod even more.
Throwing IMO is a bit op, but eh, nothing you can't rage about for a bit and move on about.

Back to the OP's point:
The game does feel different; I think that the whole retirement thing was crazy but I'm not the one developing the game so meh.
I completely agree that the 'original' crpg was the best time I've had in this game. I was a shitty low-level archer that was lucky to get more than 5 kills a map but somehow it was still loads of fun.
The new goal of the game has become to level your character, retire, and tripple loom every item you use.
Which is a grind, right? Yes.
Whether the goal of retirement was to create this new kind of grind or not is pointless. Ya I could retire and heirloom something but if I were retiring to change my build it would be useless to loom a 2h weapon and switch to pole and at the same time, I don't want to retire at 15 and get no bonus.
I just hate everything since the introduction of retirement so I'm a bit biased, haha.
Actually retirement is why I quit cRPG for a month or so. Once I decided that I needed to look at it as a new game, rather than an updated version of cRPG it was ok.

I honestly wish that they would run two server sets, one for the "original" crpg and one for this new chadz rpg thing, whatever it is.
That would solve all my complaints.
--victoria

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2011, 05:37:41 pm »
Try a 30/9 build, with 10 pd and full archery wpf. You will still be accurate and it will take 1, max 2 arrows to kill
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #122 on: April 25, 2011, 05:43:25 pm »
Try a 30/9 build, with 10 pd and full archery wpf. You will still be accurate and it will take 1, max 2 arrows to kill

I have done this as my first build with a warbow, and it certainly works well for everything but sniping. If you act as a close support archer who sticks with the group, this build works wonders for killing high-priority targets or cav. Typically mail is killed in two shots, and sometimes three for well armored high STR/IF builds. Tin cans still take a hell of a beating to kill(as it should be) but you can blow through shields and break them with ease.

If you want to be funny, use a masterwork longbow and double heirloomed bodkins and aim for the chain users within 10 meters with a 10PD build.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 05:44:48 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #123 on: April 25, 2011, 07:48:15 pm »
I have done this as my first build with a warbow, and it certainly works well for everything but sniping. If you act as a close support archer who sticks with the group, this build works wonders for killing high-priority targets or cav. Typically mail is killed in two shots, and sometimes three for well armored high STR/IF builds. Tin cans still take a hell of a beating to kill(as it should be) but you can blow through shields and break them with ease.

If you want to be funny, use a masterwork longbow and double heirloomed bodkins and aim for the chain users within 10 meters with a 10PD build.

but if you can't hit shit at range, better switch to a 30/9 or 24/15 thrower. at least you oneshot everytime and you still have room for powerstrike

EDIT: and that's what almost half archers did and lots of other players did. that's why i everytime see at least 20-30 throwers in siege.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 07:49:36 pm by Corrado_Decimo »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #124 on: April 25, 2011, 08:21:25 pm »
but if you can't hit shit at range, better switch to a 30/9 or 24/15 thrower. at least you oneshot everytime and you still have room for powerstrike

EDIT: and that's what almost half archers did and lots of other players did. that's why i everytime see at least 20-30 throwers in siege.

Cav avoid throwers if they have half a brain but often underestimate archers, and it feels great to one shot a cav coming at you.

Regardless, with 139 wpf you can still shoot farther then a thrower with accuracy, if only for a bit of distance. Additionally, I prefer the thought of using a bow over that of a thrower for the simple reason that it holds a higher romantic concept in my head.

Personal taste, done a thrower, never got into it much and cba to retire it as it was too much work to level it up for me to want to do it again. Now a sideline alt. To each their own, right?
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Murchad

• Noble
  • Renown: 24
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 25, 2011, 08:48:44 pm »
I like the less ammo solution to ranged spam, now that the rate of fire has been reduced on archers and xbow it cuts down on the speed of ranged spam, with less ammo it will cut down on the ammout.
throwing rate of fire should be reduced. it should take longer to pull out another throwing weapon

Offline VicTheBear

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 25, 2011, 09:12:57 pm »
I'm at 8 pd, I guess I should have thrown a few more into that rather than athletics. And I totally wasted one point on ironflesh. (I have a grand total of 1 point in it. Useless.)

Oh well, as soon as I hit 32, right?  :D
--victoria

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #127 on: April 25, 2011, 09:26:14 pm »
I'm at 8 pd, I guess I should have thrown a few more into that rather than athletics. And I totally wasted one point on ironflesh. (I have a grand total of 1 point in it. Useless.)

Oh well, as soon as I hit 32, right?  :D

What a disgrace. Our honorary member, the Holy mother of Bears is a dedicated archer.
Gross.
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #128 on: April 25, 2011, 09:30:53 pm »
What a disgrace. Our honorary member, the Holy mother of Bears is a dedicated archer.
Gross.

She always was, hence my extreme amusement when browsing the OP of your clan.

Offline VicTheBear

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2011, 09:36:55 pm »
Gross.

Mwahahahhaaaa, silly Gnjus, these are the consequences of sticking so faithfully to your EU servers!
You would have known!
 :wink:
--victoria

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #130 on: April 25, 2011, 09:43:30 pm »
Mwahahahhaaaa, silly Gnjus, these are the consequences of sticking so faithfully to your EU servers!
You would have known!
 :wink:

Anything over 100 ping is unplayable for me so i cant visit NA servers as much as I'd like to.  :wink:
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #131 on: April 25, 2011, 09:45:48 pm »
The population of this mod radically changed with the patch, and the mindset of those who stayed changed. Not for the better, that for sure. We lost the atmosphere of friendship there was among players, because others weren't really in your way. Now everyone apart from your clan is an enemy, and you must be effective, since it will grant you the holy multiplier. Just watch how half a team disconnects when they loose their x5. Everything has gone into winning the rounds, not having fun. Honor, fairplay and such things are gone. Very few people are really customizing their char, simply because everyone knows builds that work very well, you just have to choose what game mechanic you want to exploit. Watch around you and count the ones fitting a theme or trying odd ways of fighting, there were much more before everything you did had to be devoted to victory.

Well said Kafein, this is what I feel too, but I had no idea how to tell it.
+1000
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 09:47:15 pm by Christo »

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #132 on: April 25, 2011, 09:59:01 pm »
Anything over 100 ping is unplayable for me so i cant visit NA servers as much as I'd like to.  :wink:

Try the new Acre server! It has better ping for EU, though I am not sure how your ping would compare. Some EU have reported barely under 100 ping, so you might be lucky (Worth a glance).

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #133 on: April 25, 2011, 11:08:36 pm »
If someone has all his equipment triple heirloomed, then it is not that the game became boring, its the guys life that became boring. Are you people insane? how much do you play? I am now looking forward to my first retirement since the patch, slowly going past 30.5.

Seriously people, you can't obsessively play a game and complain that it does not allow you to advance anymore. The vast majority of the players (I bet) are no where near this situation. The typical advancement-rate of such a game cannot be decided by the few grand grind masters.

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #134 on: April 25, 2011, 11:18:30 pm »
I am level 32 at the moment, and triple heirlooming things now and the grind that I dread seems like a better alternative than lvl 33-

also do not worry people I am not going to triple heirloom the cheap side sword
Just a soldier