Author Topic: Varyag's testimony on the current state of cRPG  (Read 25847 times)

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
Re: Varyag's testimony on the current state of cRPG
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2011, 01:28:24 pm »
I realy dont understand why are people so stressed about levels and grinding. I mean i chose to play this game because it is different from all the other kind of crap they throw at you daily.

Seriously if you like korean mmos so much lets just introduce a 200 lvl cap wich takes 10 year to reach, get some healers, tanks other crap and call it fucking world of warband.  :rolleyes:
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2011, 02:04:26 pm »
I realy dont understand why are people so stressed about levels and grinding. I mean i chose to play this game because it is different from all the other kind of crap they throw at you daily.

Seriously if you like korean mmos so much lets just introduce a 200 lvl cap wich takes 10 year to reach, get some healers, tanks other crap and call it fucking world of warband.  :rolleyes:

the POINT is that fortunately we have a level cap (psssst and i say its good.. even if it is too low.) BUT some ridicolous no lifer kids like vicious666 grinded full heirloom sets just to hope to be the 2011 olwen-wannabe hero.

So or we put a GENERATION cap fairly low (6 heirlooms seems fair... a masterwork weapon + a lordly body armor, or whatever.) or we get rid of the level cap too.

now its nonsense to have a level cap but hiding the grind behind the generation route. i saw arrow glancing/bouncing on high gen full plate players.

if we had level 42+ wpf stackers before, now we have heavy tanks with 80+ armor.

and guess why crpg topped near 600+ players in the same time prepatch and now hardly reach 350.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2011, 02:29:11 pm »
and guess why crpg topped near 600+ players in the same time prepatch and now hardly reach 350.

Because the school holidays ended ?
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2011, 03:04:47 pm »
Because the school holidays ended ?

for PREPATCH i mean from october to december. i ended school in the '97... didn't know kids have 3 months long holidays.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2011, 03:33:41 pm »

Add all the servers together and it is a lot higher then 350. We have more servers now thus a more thinned out pop.

As for the arrow glance statement, it was likely a low level archer doing a long shot. I can shoot up goretooth and he has the best armor and gauntlets in the game, heirloomed of course, and I never glance.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 03:35:07 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2011, 06:02:43 pm »
Add all the servers together and it is a lot higher then 350. We have more servers now thus a more thinned out pop.

As for the arrow glance statement, it was likely a low level archer doing a long shot. I can shoot up goretooth and he has the best armor and gauntlets in the game, heirloomed of course, and I never glance.

uhm Cheapshot (good archer) need like 5 or 6 arrows at 10 meters range to take me down when i wear stock coat of plates... guess what when he shoot at someone wearing heirlooms for 82 body armor.

funny thing i still get 1hit by throwing lances and 2hit by jarids.

no surprise to see very few archers and really a lot throwers.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2011, 06:35:09 pm »
uhm Cheapshot (good archer) need like 5 or 6 arrows at 10 meters range to take me down when i wear stock coat of plates... guess what when he shoot at someone wearing heirlooms for 82 body armor.

funny thing i still get 1hit by throwing lances and 2hit by jarids.

no surprise to see very few archers and really a lot throwers.

Define good archer, is he a high accuracy but low PDbuild made for sniping or light targets or headshots? What bow is he using?

With a warbow and 8PD I can knock most targets with one arrow for luck or two or three pn average. Coat of plate wearers take three to four dependng on the build (one guy took five but he later said he had 30 strand IF).

The average archer uses a strongbow and has six PD and this will not glance. My previous post said shoot up, notone or twoshot. To be fair, a bunch of arrows is fine anyways as amor may as well protect you from something, right? My point is, most archers will not glance against plate, though the damage may vary considerably with the specific amount of truckloads of required arrows.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline BD_Guard_Bane

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guards
  • Game nicks: BD_Guard_Bane
  • IRC nick: cmpxchg8b
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2011, 06:29:58 am »
So, I recently started playing again after quite a long time (before latest patch).

There are some positive differences and some negative ones.

Firstly, there is more teamwork in general, and not just from clans - clanless people are playing a lot better together. The upkeep system is great, you can't play in plate all the time, but you can maintain medium armour and a couple of weapons for ever.

I see your point about missing the old times, but it's better for casual players which is good. I definitely miss the small servers and player's distinctive gear so you could target the most annoying ones, but you still see the older players around (I especially miss the times before the NA players got a server, now we don't play together anymore)

As for peasant wars, I'd be absolutely for a server reset like the old days, would be so much fun, but I think too many people would cry :D

A lot of the negative changes I think will be fixed soon in the next patch (everyone has a pike, everyone using the same fotm weapon etc etc).

The most annoying thing is the tendency to camp now. I remember when if someone suggested camping (even if it was a good idea for the situation) they'd get a torrent of abuse hurled at them. Now camping seems to be the default strategy.
Partly I think this is due to the amount of ranged going on. If you think back through cRPG history, ranged weapons being OP has happened with just as much frequency as any other category, and it's something that can be fixed with patches. But even if no particular ranged weapon is OP, there can still be a problem with the quantity of ranged. Hopefully the new patch will fix that with the slot thing. At the moment it's a little bit ridiculous - everyone has throwing or xbow as a backup weapon. And throwing does so much damage :(

Another annoying thing is that due to the multiplier sometimes teams can get really defeatist - if they're on x1 for a few rounds everyone switches to worse gear and doesn't make much of an effort to beat the other team - they just wait for the next map and autobalance to favour them more.

Also, I don't get the point of retirement, unless you mess up your build. Heirloomed weapons might be nice, but they're don't seem worth the effort really. And the new wpf system has slowed fights down quite a lot, except for katana/sidesword/long halfted mace etc users.

I still see plated archers and plated HA with armoured horses, which was supposed to be fixed, but I guess as long as they can't afford to do it all the time it's sort of ok. And there are a lot more shielders now (presumably cos of the ranged spam), which is nice, battles look better made up of mainly shielders - more authentic than having an army of 2handers.

It's also really nice that we've got a map-making community now, but it'd be great if they could optimise their maps (a lot of the new ones get fps drop and lag, I'd rather a map was less pretty and played better). As well, a lot of maps seem to have been made by people who love ranged camping and hate cav.

Last thing, horses are damned expensive to upkeep, considering they're made of paper. Maybe the slot thing will make them more worth the cost.

Anyway, largely it seems pretty good, and is still as fun as before. And I don't see why there's a lack of improvement in your character - just don't retire. It's slow, true, but that's what you miss surely? You'll get more of a sense of achievement when you hit 35 or whatever.

A lot of different stuff, but I cba typing stuff in the relevant places.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 06:35:44 am by BD_Guard_Bane »
I defended the village and all I got was this stupid title.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2011, 06:38:29 am »
(click to show/hide)

I love you.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2011, 10:20:38 am »
That's irrelevant, Prpavi, it was always like that since people figured out crossbows didn't need wp to be effective. Given the opportunity, most players don't hesitate to take a ranged weapon.

Sorry but no it wasnt always like that.

Its getting increasingly frustrating to play pure melee class where 90 percent of the people are shooting/throwing at you, if you dont believe me just look at some of the players stopped playing this game last months.

and not talking about randoms im talking about ppl that were here since the really early days.

looking forward to some real changes.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Brutal

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 24
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Pecores_Brutal_le chacal Cold_stone Bazooka
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2011, 02:41:41 pm »
The most annoying thing is the tendency to camp now. I remember when if someone suggested camping (even if it was a good idea for the situation) they'd get a torrent of abuse hurled at them. Now camping seems to be the default strategy.
Yea it's really a shame and not fun. Maybe ranged as something to do with this but the charging team still seems to be the winning one most of the time. (except for some unbalanced map)
The Oasis map is the perfect example of this phenomenon with that hill that everybody seems to be addicted to. It just doesn't offer any protection from ranged quite the contrary and so easy to encircle it's almost a sure defeat but we just got to camp there !!!  :mrgreen:
Even Phaz is promotting hillcamping and forteress camping and i'm not even talking about my old friends and their crushtrough door camping  :mrgreen:
2-3 day ago on EU1 we were hill camping and lost 3 time in a row on random map. Out of despair we all charged and we just crushed the other team and then followed 2 round of pure epicness with massive charge and "Attack" spamming

Is it really ranged responsible ? I dunno but i remember that pre-patch ranged was much worse and that entire team would hide behind wall because being exposed meant instant death. Now people are camping way before any ranged is present, it has become a habbit.

Offline JOPOTINTTI

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 24, 2011, 02:46:10 pm »
its just that people dont want to waste their lifes in arrows , so they wait till the enemy come to them , prepatch this problem was impossible cuz of no upkeep
and you actually had to fight or be close to fight to get money , now its just xbow&bow roofcampfesthiding2hbehindhouses

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2011, 04:40:42 pm »
More importantly, what is with this anti-Xantian atmosphere on the forums?! I can barely make a few posts before being muted! It is quite sickening and is quickly causing emotional trauma as there is an admin conspiracy against me to make it seem like people don't like me (the great unwashed masses love me) so yes ptx I know of your dirty underhanded tactics and I will be sending you a strongly worded letter in the near future thank you

PS someone give me -1 so I can have -200 it's sexier than -199
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Alex_C

• Knight
  • Renown: 30
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guard of Istiniar
  • Game nicks: IG_Earl_Alexander
  • IRC nick: ISPCA_Alexanger
« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2011, 04:44:48 pm »
PS someone give me -1 so I can have -200 it's sexier than -199

Done, but I think it muted you.

###EDIT###

nvm, I'm seeing things >.> <.<

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2011, 05:15:04 pm »
And there are a lot more shielders now (presumably cos of the ranged spam), which is nice, battles look better made up of mainly shielders - more authentic than having an army of 2handers.

the main cause isn't the ranged spam. is the fact that morningstar is no more, soon the barmace will be no more, the level cap forced 2handers to use less powerstrike to blockcrush and the general lower weapon profiency made slower fights giving shielders more chances (as two handed / polearms benefit more from profiency)