Author Topic: Varyag's testimony on the current state of cRPG  (Read 25942 times)

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Varyag's testimony on the current state of cRPG
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2011, 04:23:40 pm »
It's just that different people have different expectations, and I think they should all be respected.

Except, you know, the ones who don't like what you like, or like what you don't like. Evidently they don't count for much. :P
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 04:24:53 pm by okiN »
Don't.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2011, 04:30:01 pm »
Yep. The wipes were nice, but the effects were always all too short-lived. I think we could really do with one more full wipe, to remove all the problems that still exist because of flaws in earlier builds that have since been fixed. Maybe some of the worst grinders would GTX, but honestly, I can't say I'd miss them any. I have no respect for people who are more attached to their level or gen count than to the game. :P

yeah I always really enjoyed the wipes. largely because back then the game was such an uneven playing field that after a wipe it was fun just being able to play in a even playing field. guys like argento who I couldn't kill before were suddenly incredibly easy to kill without thier level advantage, plate etc.

I'd love to see a wipe now, the bonus exp for generations should be removed though otherwise things will just go back to how they are.
I think the upkeep system and the removal of gen WPF bonus solved the need of a wipe, all we need now is a set max number of heirlooms and everthing/everyone will be balanced. Mad grinders will still have 50 masterworks, giving them lots of choices and flexibility but they will only be able to use the same number of heirloomed items simultaneously as the average player (I would suggest 2-3 heirloomed items).

Solid suggestion +1

Offline Baron_Settmour

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: ISIS_Sterling_Archer, Fallen_Ragnvaldr
  • IRC nick: Varangian
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2011, 04:35:37 pm »
For the OP:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2011, 04:40:40 pm »
It is my experiance that after the last wipe lots of players just left with no noise. Yes there was some crying on the forums from the hardcore grinders who ultimately just bit the bullet and levelled again, some players (myself included) decided to take a month or two break but eventually came back, but a lot of people just saw all they had earned disappear one day and thought 'Not doing that again.' (one of my RL friends included, he heard about the reset and stopped playing that same day and hasn't played since) because cRPG is supposed to be a persistent environment where a player can build any character they want, it is a logical fallacy that a casual player could log in one day and all his effort is gone because the devs thought it was time for a reset.

Having said that I would be willing to have another full wipe, but many others just won't keep doing this reset after reset.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2011, 04:51:29 pm »
Tbh its a beta. In Betas some things dont work like the dev want them too.
People tend to use those game design errors so there is a need to wipe if the dev thinks this is not like intended.

That doesnt mean a wipe is needed because you came to this game 2 weeks ago and everyone has more heirlooms then you do.
If chadz thinks that heirlooms are breaking the game he should do something.

But i guess everybody agrees that lvl45 and all slots heirloomed is a big difference.

Offline Olwen

• Earl
  • Renown: 419
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • A shadow among others
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2011, 05:09:05 pm »
Quote from: Olwen
this crpg has nothing to do with the one we played before and during strategus, it's pointless, i probably won't be back on crpg before i see some good patch or strategus back, it's just a hate and bundle of sticksery contest, and i'm being bored of it

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2011, 05:10:34 pm »
Yeah...

The game right now is in it's best iteration. Old cRPG was not better, simply less explored. I don't see how anyone [SANE] can argue differently. The cRPG we got now is much more polished and overall caters to a broader audience, casual and hardcore alike. A fps where grind = skill, is just not fun (sure, you could argue the rpg aspect, but really, at it's core cRPG is native multi player with customizable characters and weapons). 

Edit:

I wouldn't mind a wipe, but as several people have pointed out, the grinders will grind and it will hit the casuals the hardest.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 05:17:16 pm by Jacko »
Monkeys!

Offline Varyag

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 72
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
  • Game nicks: Merc_Varyag_
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2011, 05:50:24 pm »
this crpg has nothing to do with the one we played before and during strategus, it's pointless, i probably won't be back on crpg before i see some good patch or strategus back, it's just a hate and bundle of sticksery contest, and i'm being bored of it

Perhaps this is too extreme, but the point is valid. In terms of cRPG future, my only hope is the new Strategus, if it ever comes public.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2011, 06:26:57 pm »
chadz is taking classes, so I woul presume that a strategus release would come during one of his breaks.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Belatu

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 111
  • what
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Belatucadros
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2011, 06:47:32 pm »
I havent read the op but seems a cryfortheoldtimespost and I disagree.

My fridge is my shield

Offline Vicious666

• Baron
  • Renown: 88
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
  • becouse an image is worth a thousand words
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vicious666_xXx
  • IRC nick: Vicious666
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2011, 07:37:57 pm »
funny how ppl realized   what i say   on christmas when i saw "this crpg"    only 5 months later.

better later than never

Offline Babelfish

• Knight
  • Renown: 62
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2011, 08:01:12 pm »
funny how ppl realized   what i say   on christmas when i saw "this crpg"    only 5 months later.

better later than never

Btw it was me that gave you that last vote, getting you muted <3

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2011, 08:27:09 pm »
Overall the patch was an improvement, in fact at this point any further work is an improvement, aprt of the problem is thats everal months have passed without any even tiny patch and so you see a lot of the imbalances become excacerbated like half of people on servers being hybrid or pure thrower, polearm stun spammers multiplying, or at least 30 gen 25+ I can name off the top of my head (probably a lot more that I don't know about).

Needless to say some tweaking support patches every few weeks that require minimal programming would have made this feel less of a grind for people waiting for strategus as it would be a continually new game, next patch with 2 weapons slots for gigantic weapons is a great idea, cudos to cmpx for taking the time to code it.  (To give you an idea the persistent world mod gets patches on average about 1 every 1-2 weeks with a smaller community using it).

-Remove polearm stun except for stabs with polearms (polarm lock abuse rampant now with whole builds dedicated to it)
-Make weapons take up 2 slots to rebalance hybrids (already being done)
-Remove retirement xp bonus but return to how it was immediately after first major patch where it was 1500 xp/x1 base with a kill radius like pre-patch worked in for bonus xp (that actually made fights feel so much more dynamic as it added a new challenge to strategy, right now every fight is starting to feel a little too familiar like deja vu).
-Just set maximum effective wpf at 180 or 200 (was 700 pre-patch) and allow a reasonable wpf cost.  (This cap might also allow levelling up to 35-38 without warping the system and increase build diversity).

These are just suggestions, but pretty much anything at this point would be great, just come out with a patch.

But i have to follow this up with a thank you as you could very well have abandoned the project all together, so thank you for working on it.  Just explaining why there might be some frustration.  Overall still a work in progress that just feels like the progress is stalled because we get so little news of any sort of progress on the big patch.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • Renown: 424
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Murmillus_Prime
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2011, 08:43:11 pm »
Overall the patch was an improvement, in fact at this point any further work is an improvement, aprt of the problem is thats everal months have passed without any even tiny patch and so you see a lot of the imbalances become excacerbated like half of people on servers being hybrid or pure thrower, polearm stun spammers multiplying, or at least 30 gen 25+ I can name off the top of my head (probably a lot more that I don't know about).

Needless to say some tweaking support patches every few weeks that require minimal programming would have made this feel less of a grind for people waiting for strategus as it would be a continually new game, next patch with 2 weapons slots for gigantic weapons is a great idea, cudos to cmpx for taking the time to code it.  (To give you an idea the persistent world mod gets patches on average about 1 every 1-2 weeks with a smaller community using it).

-Remove polearm stun except for stabs with polearms (polarm lock abuse rampant now with whole builds dedicated to it)
-Make weapons take up 2 slots to rebalance hybrids (already being done)
-Remove retirement xp bonus but return to how it was immediately after first major patch where it was 1500 xp/x1 base with a kill radius like pre-patch worked in for bonus xp (that actually made fights feel so much more dynamic as it added a new challenge to strategy, right now every fight is starting to feel a little too familiar like deja vu).
-Just set maximum effective wpf at 180 or 200 (was 700 pre-patch) and allow a reasonable wpf cost.  (This cap might also allow levelling up to 35-38 without warping the system and increase build diversity).

These are just suggestions, but pretty much anything at this point would be great, just come out with a patch.

But i have to follow this up with a thank you as you could very well have abandoned the project all together, so thank you for working on it.  Just explaining why there might be some frustration.  Overall still a work in progress that just feels like the progress is stalled because we get so little news of any sort of progress on the big patch.

Remove polearm stun, the only thing that allows it to complete with good pure 2h chars? 2h swords especially.

I believe 2h swords especially bigger ones need significant speed reductions but I don't see anyone else saying the same, so it's ok to call every weapon other than 2h swords OP, even though they do more damage are faster than and have quicker block ability than all decent polearms.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 08:45:31 pm by Murmillus_Prime »
Dumbfuck.Fuckwit.Cuntshit.Brickfuck.

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2011, 08:45:56 pm »
How can you say "Crpg used to be better?"

Earning gold/xp for only your kills?

Playing as a noob and level 1 farmer? Good luck getting anywhere any time soon. If you were even able to survive and get into a position to damage someone, a team mate would 1-hit them and you'd be left with nothing.

I miss wearing full plate and running around like a maniac but you have to think of the guys that dont play that much too.

With the newest patch I think I will be running around in medium armour and just a flamberge, no shield, which means I will have to go back to my older playstyle of "i dont need no stinking shield" thinking that my armour will protect me, only it wont because I wont have as much.

Is that good for me? No but i dont think it's game breaking at all and it might mean that some rounds I dont use a flamberge but maybe a Sword of War + shield.

I like to see the mod continually improve and I'm a pretty adaptable guy so I dont miss the old days so much.

For those awaiting strategus: Hahaha if you'd fought in some of our battles you might not be relishing it so much.