Author Topic: New Players need some love  (Read 5506 times)

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
Re: New Players need some love
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2012, 04:07:01 pm »
+2
The whole point of the tax system is to take money out of the economy.. If you put it back in its purpose is defeated.

Anyway.. catering to new players, even giving them some temporary "unfair" bonus is fine by me. Consider it a long time investment in the playerbase.

Being bitter because you yourself had to suffer once upon a time is just pointless.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2012, 04:10:37 pm »
+2
I support this as well. I think game design-wise it's wrong to make the game first hard and then easier for new players. It needs to be the other way round, that's how motivation works.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Skyline

• Knight
  • Renown: 64
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • My youtube
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Skyline
  • IRC nick: Skyline
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2012, 04:39:01 pm »
A few of us that came over about 9 weeks ago feel the complete opposite..... We are grateful its challenging yet fun. even with the deaths those first few weeks.... Its really about learning what your doing wrong.... just because you die alot doesn't mean its a lvl/gear problem. You have to learn to block better and learning what style suites you best. I have seen plenty of tin cans go running in thinking "oh that guys in cloth, easy kill" and end up getting trashed because they thought they could take every hit due to the armor/hp or that the person in cloth was just loomed/new.  Its all about how much you actually put into learning the system in place... Duel alot, find someone that knows what they are talking about to help you, and most importantly dont get frustrated.... Practice blocking, watch people playing builds you wanna try to watch foot work etc, and practice blocking....
Common sense is not so common.

"Anyways, there is no TK in this screenshot.  Only one guy killing another"  - Smoothrich

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2012, 04:43:22 pm »
Vibe's got plenty of love for everyone, big, small, young, old..

24/m/calradia

pm

I sense trap...
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2012, 04:49:37 pm »
+1
Both "sides" here has a point..

One should not underestimate the value of a though and steep learning curve, and perhaps those players that easily give up would do so anyway. Even with lvl 34 and and all loomed up this game is not easy. For me, and I guess for most of us that "stayed" we are the kind of people who get turned on by difficult learning curves.. :)

The question is really if it is possible to catch those players that don't like so super-hard learning curves?

What should be the focus of the devs, and for any game devs should be to create as good as possible first-time game experience. Bring those new player into the game, for maximum playerbase. In the end, the playerbase in a multiplayer game is what decides the lifespan of the game.

Once it reaches a minimum threshold, the game is dead. (look to crpg Australia i.ex)

My reasoning is:
Because c-RPG is so hard anyway, no matter levels and looms, we should give new players bonuses like free respecs, easy leveling, some cash, and very importantly "push" them into the beginners guide forums, or show/write them a good guide and put it in their face.

First gen should be easy and considered a learning generation at this point. Getting into cRPG now is anyway way harder than 2 years ago, because average skill-levels and loom saturation are way higher.

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Firebrand

• Baron
  • Renown: 146
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player
  • Chooser of slain
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Valkyrja
  • Game nicks: Valkyrja_Randgrid
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2012, 05:20:20 pm »
Mostly its problem of low lvl\shit gear, cause i think ppl come in cRPG from native so they have some skills and they probably know how to survive in battles\sieges. Native players not so bad how you can think of them. I came in cRPG from "pirate" servers - there is not so many skilled players so i havent such good skills but anyway, now  when i have few loomed gears and character with pretty str build 30 lvl i can deal with battle or siege competently enough. For some expirement i did go in eu_1 yesterday, and for few rounds i made k\d ratio about 13\5 - its not bad i think for newbie player. So dont be such haughty\arrogant about newbies. My opinion its all about low lvl and shitty gear\no money. For this reason DTV is best solution for new players to pass peasant years comfrtably and without frustrations!

P.S. BTW being a peasant may be even fun at least on DTV. On higher levels u managed kill hunderts bots and feel yourself like HERO who make the day, and now u r just little peasant with shitty scythe so your hope to win round is your teammates so they can protect you and make the day winning round against angry bots when almost whole team is dead.
  On battle servers noone will cover u cause u r shitty peasant. And game turns into boring attempt to survive. And after death u forced to watch how do others play. Bullshit! :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 05:38:23 pm by Firebrand »

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2012, 05:21:59 pm »
My reasoning is:
Because c-RPG is so hard anyway, no matter levels and looms, we should give new players bonuses like free respecs, easy leveling, some cash, and very importantly "push" them into the beginners guide forums, or show/write them a good guide and put it in their face.
For example, it would be nice to have a link to Tears of Destiny's guide for beginners in the character website, for those who aren't familiar with the forums.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2012, 05:26:52 pm »
Vibe's got plenty of love for everyone, big, small, young, old..

24/m/calradia

pm

You sir..

82/f/calradia
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 05:35:45 pm by Joseph_Porta »
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2012, 05:58:46 pm »
+1
Just make it on a voluntary basis.

A new main character receives the following bonuses:

- 15-20k gold starting equipment
- optionally enough XP to reach level 20 (just press a button and confirm)
- as many free respecs as he wants, up to level 20
- no upkeep until level 20
- selling items in the shop for the full price up to level 20
- no option to use the marketplace until level 20 (to prevent players with more accounts of taking advantage of the noob features)

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2012, 06:45:02 pm »
New players just need advice. Visit the Guides section of the forums. It will explain things that you couldn't know and thus allow you to create builds that perform properly. A New player should not be gimp simply because he doesn't know how to make a proper build. We can at least help you skip that part of the learning curve here.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2012, 06:56:14 pm »
A new main character receives the following bonuses:

- 15-20k gold starting equipment
- optionally enough XP to reach level 20 (just press a button and confirm)
- as many free respecs as he wants, up to level 20
- no upkeep until level 20
- selling items in the shop for the full price up to level 20
- no option to use the marketplace until level 20 (to prevent players with more accounts of taking advantage of the noob features)

Not good enough for them, so:

-200,000 gold
-way faster leveling so they can get to level 33 on their first gen
-free respecs up to level 30
-no upkeep until level 30
-2 free masterwork items that can't be sold or traded
-auto started forum topic after they are level 33 about how game is broken because long time players have knowledge and skills noobs don't and still own them even with a peasant scythe. Topic will be titled 'pls remove skill/add the 'I win' button to the game'

Offline Pentecost

• Earl
  • Renown: 313
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2012, 07:03:55 pm »
+2
I am a relative newcomer myself, and I don't think the game needs to be made more accessible to newcomers than it already is.

Some background: I started playing cRPG during the time of the second to most recent steam sale for Warband. Like many, I was extremely horrible when I started; unlike many, I recognized the most important deficiency was not in the equipment I was using but the player using the equipment. Although I did not join a clan, as that's not my thing, what I did do was seek advice from better players who could tell me what I was doing incorrectly, try different weapons to see what was to my tastes, and spent a lot of time practicing on the duel server. I now have 6 generations under my belt between. I cannot say that I am a truly good player by any stretch of the imagination, but I can say that I'm not a below average one by cRPG standards anymore, which in turn makes me better than most of the people playing Mount and Blade. What am I getting at here?

What I'm getting at is that climbing a mountain pays off when you get to the point where you can turn around and take in the view. Dumbing things down, making them unnecessarily easy, and holding the players' hands is contrary to what makes the mod enjoyable, appealing, and worth playing, and I see no reason to cater to people who do not have the patience to raise themselves out of the mire. This extends, in my view, not just to the gameplay mechanics themselves but also the meta stuff like managing your upkeep and knowing how much gear a given multiplier can support; I learned these things precisely because I started out with no gold, and I feel it would be ultimately detrimental to the learning process of a newcomer if he magically started with thousands of gold (despite being a peasant) for no reason other than the fact that he's new.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2012, 07:23:10 pm »
+1
In my opinion cRPG should also cater those REALLY casual casuals. Because if you expect players to actively search for information needed to play the game properly/successfully, then you will only keep the rather dedicated players, while the rest will quickly jump off. The players who are dedicated from beginning tend to become good players after rather short time, and we will have (=keep) a development which leads to a high average skill level in the community. Which is another source of frustration for (some) new players. On long term this will lead to a much smaller community than what we could have if we catered the casuals more. This is important, because Warband is already a rather old game, and we are losing players constantly (which is a completely natural thing), but combined with the constant releases of other "big" games like Skyrim or Guild Wars 2, the game could die quicker than you would have thought. Especially since Mount & Blade 2, The War of Roses and Chivalry 2 are to be released.

A dropping playerbase usually has a really quick, exponentially growing effect on the community, and often, within 2 or 3 months, the playerbase can drop by 50% or more, until after some time only the hardcore fanboys are left.

Having a big base of "baddies" does nothing bad to the game, except of letting the teamplay on public servers suffer even more (if this is still possible at all  :rolleyes: ). The good players will remain good player, the bad ones will remain bad, but everyone will be more likely to score a kill or two, the overall motivation will raise, and you will have more people to play with on the servers.

That's why it is important to look at the matter from different angles of view than only yours. That you did something a certain way doesn't mean you can and should expect everyone else to it the same way.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2012, 07:36:31 pm »
+1
Peasants deserve respect, they are what makes cav happy about stabbing a defenceless guy in the back

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2012, 07:37:58 pm »
In my opinion cRPG should also cater those REALLY casual casuals.

It already does. STF Lancer Cavalry BAM!

STF or Skip The Fun isn't labeled properly for those really casual players who can't be assed to look for anything other than WASD and mouse. It needs to be renamed to Instant Max Level. If they are that casual, they will never realize that other people can level higher than 30 and thus won't complain, and if they do, then tell them to read some guides.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln