Author Topic: New Players need some love  (Read 5474 times)

Offline Steinborn

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
New Players need some love
« on: September 18, 2012, 12:57:24 pm »
+12
I have played MB for around 2 months now (mostly single player) and i recently discovered this mod. Before i say harsh things about it i would like to point out that i think the mod is great and i appreciate all the work that has been put in to it. After playing for around 10 hours i got tired of being 1 shot by everything. I was told in game that it gets better around level 16 once you get some armor and stuff though. Now that i am level 15 i am finally able to take 2 hits from some things but mostly everything still 1 shots me. Dont get me wrong, i love a game that is difficult and is not care bear but this is too much. I would love to be able to tell my friends about this mod and get them playing but i don't know a single person that would want to come play after i say "oh and after you play for 10 hours you might be able to take 2 hits from a hatchet and kill somebody". Something needs to be in place that allows new players to get in to the game easier. I know that there is the "skip the fun" button, but this does exactly that. skips the FUN. The way it's set up now is like World of Warcraft setting up their pvp where all levels 1-(whatever the max is now) play against each other. Running around for 10 hours getting 1 shot by a guy on a horse that you cannot defend against is not fun. I am not the best player in the world but i fully understand the combat mechanics of the game so please do not announce i am a noob who doesn't know how to play. In total i have 4 kills and 37 deaths, and i don't know a single person that would look at that and think "you had fun playing that game".

Some simple solutions for fixing this would be giving new players:

Better starting gear
Some starting stat points to put in (maybe jump to level 10)
More starting money to buy gear
Increase the health/armor of players under a certain level

Obviously all of this would apply to new accounts/characters that are created and would only apply to your first generation character.

This is just my 2 cents, ill still be playing the game in the hopes it gets better but i would love to be able to share this mod with people who have less patience than i do.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
Re: New Players need some love
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 01:04:59 pm »
+6
I don't think this mod was made for people with low patience. Otherwise you could GTX after each death.
New players today have it far easier than before, during the first months of crpg after release.

Making money during the first gen is as easy as it can be. You don't need to wear heavy gear, no one actually needs to. You will gain a lot of gold during that time to buy many sets of gear, get good weapons and more.

btw never use skip for fun for your main character. not worth it.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Steinborn

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 01:20:18 pm »
+3
I not sure i mentioned anything about it being hard to make money. I have had no problem after 10 hours of dying making enough money to buy some armor and a weapon. My problem is the 10 hours of dying it took for me to get there. It seems like a lot more people would play if you guys cut that 10 hours of dying out of the picture for new players. Its like counter strike saying "you must play for 10 hour with a glock, 10 health, and no grenades before we even give you the option of using anything else". Im glad its easier now than in the first months of crpg release, but now all you guys who have been playing for months don't worry about new players and are glad to run around 1 shotting them. Does nobody else see how many people have probably quit this game/never started playing due to the fact its so unfriendly to new players? Isn't that key to a new game, getting a good player base and allowing for new players to join in without feeling alienated? So far from what i have seen the player base is great, everybody seems friendly but i see a lot more potential if some very minor simple things were changed.

Offline MB passionately

• Knight
  • Renown: 27
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Sarissas
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 01:20:24 pm »
+8
Have patience man
If you like native and think you are good that means nothing in crpg, you´ll get slayed here quickly. The skill level is just deadly, a reason why the best M&B players gather here. Every player has to learn the lesson at the start.

...meaning only a few people will help you at the beginning    (solution: the forums)

...meaning people will laugh about questions from beginners (solution: shut up and just learn)

...meaning a lot of people are occupied with their egos (solution: kill them!)

...meaning that as soon as you reach the break-even-point where you achieve kills on the regular, you´ll get hooked  :twisted:  (solution: none :rolleyes:)

Could be a good idea to start on the max lvl 20 server, it speeds up your development. How can you think you can defeat a level 33 player (a guy that spent >1year in the game) with a character you created one day ago.

To join a clan is also helpfull, here you learn teamplay and movement on the battlefield

Have patience!!

just play just play just play just play just play

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 01:26:58 pm »
It's not about equipment really, I've seen many people getting 2-3 kills in the first round after a retirement, I've done it myself and I'm by no means a very good player. You've just got to get used to the way the game runs. I'd suggest using the "view outfit" button a lot, it lets you freelook around you to watch for ninjas and cavalry and has saved my life a hundred times over. Also spend some time on the duel server practising blocking, even if you have a crappy wooden sword but can block you can be of use to the team.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 01:30:13 pm »
+2
You can get to lvl21 in the LVL20-low-level server in... 1-2 hours, whilst playing against people with similar level characters.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 02:30:55 pm »
+4

I generally think you are right. Getting new players into the game will always pay off in the long run, for all of us.

I think new accounts with new chars should start at lvl 8-10, and I have suggested this a few times myself.. It would not affect game balance at all if we let new accounts have an "easy" first generation. I also have friends who gave up very quickly due to being useless in the beginning.

The low level server is not very populated atm am I right? :)

Anyway..

For you personally, I would recommend checking out the build section in the beginners guides forum. Reading the guides won't hurt either! Trust me, this game is deep and even though I played cRPG since the beginning I'm not 100% sure I know all the angles and mechanics for all classes.

Also, make an ALT STF char and experiment with what kind of build you want to have. Here's a build calculator:  http://infinitum.dyndns.org/crpg/calc.htm

Stay put, this game is fantastic. Try to learn manual blocking first, as you will need it no matter what class you choose to play.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 02:33:03 pm »
Well, i usually see that it has at least 20 players, which is ideal for low-lvl play.

Offline Firebrand

• Baron
  • Renown: 146
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player
  • Chooser of slain
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Valkyrja
  • Game nicks: Valkyrja_Randgrid
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 02:37:54 pm »
+2
Hey dude i understand your frustration about that shit, when you feel like meat for hi-leveled players on battle server or siege. My solution of that problem very simple. Play DTV - kinda coop mode, - it very nice mode for new and low-level players. Every time after retire i play DTV untill i became 25-27 level. U can easily earn good amount of gold and xp u can grind without frustration, - so try this gamemode - its very fun. On DTV mostly friendly athmosphere and u can feel free to ask any questions - ppl will help u!!! But be carefull eu_HRE server there is some shitty admin that can ban you for team hit or other shit - his name is Obarkon or something. Good luck and have fun!
Sorry fot BAD english! :wink:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 02:44:40 pm by Firebrand »

Offline OssumPawesome

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 02:42:45 pm »
Sorry man - this is a high learning curve mod.  It also requires you to be pretty high level to be remotely useful.  I think the best solution to this that no one will ever implement would be to make leveling twice as fast.  I think the mode would be twice as fun and I would probably play it a lot more.

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 02:43:31 pm »
You can get to lvl21 in the LVL20-low-level server in... 1-2 hours, whilst playing against people with similar level characters.

This.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 02:43:42 pm »
Yes, but if you join that server with a really low level you get humiliated by level 19's. It has happened to me every single time I played on that server.

My suggestion regarding this situation is to shorten the levelling curve, at least until level 24. This is a mod for Warband, a hack'n'slash game; it shouldn't resemble a MMO so much in that aspect.

Offline Firebrand

• Baron
  • Renown: 146
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player
  • Chooser of slain
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Valkyrja
  • Game nicks: Valkyrja_Randgrid
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 02:46:57 pm »
This.
What he will do after 21 lvl? 21 level even on siege is total bulshit being just meat for 33level skilled monsters like ninjas , 2handers or my old friendchers.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 02:48:50 pm »
+2
Just be glad you didn't play cRPG back in 2010, 2012 cRPG is a walk on the beach compared to a walk in firebombs.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 02:48:55 pm »
+4
So if im right it took you 10 hours to get to level 15? No offence man, I encouragenew players and all that but you must be doing something wrong, what mode do you play? I suggest you to play battle, if you die it leaves you time to do something on your desktop, thus making the peasant levels less of a drag. What is your build, i suggest you to go something balanced with a good amount of HP or enroll a shielder, even shields that req 3 s-skill can take quite a beating and ofcourse in your peasant levels you can really focus on manual blocking, since your damage output is so low.

Tl;dr: use your low level time usefull: learn blocking, gather money and just relax, when you die, unless you are the last one left or something, it leaves you enough time to browse the forum, make some coffee or do other shit.
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™