Author Topic: New Players need some love  (Read 5476 times)

Offline Ptolemy

• Weeaboo
  • Count
  • Renown: 257
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja
  • Game nicks: Nomin
Re: New Players need some love
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 02:53:14 pm »
+1
I see a lot of people saying "use your first gen to get money" or "you don't need to have great equipment on your first gen".

This is true, but it doesn't answer the issue that being used as a pincushion isn't fun, thus new players will quit quickly. Something does need to be done about it, but I don't have a solution.

Offline Firebrand

• Baron
  • Renown: 146
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player
  • Chooser of slain
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Valkyrja
  • Game nicks: Valkyrja_Randgrid
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 02:57:39 pm »
So if im right it took you 10 hours to get to level 15? No offence man, I encouragenew players and all that but you must be doing something wrong, what mode do you play? I suggest you to play battle, if you die it leaves you time to do something on your desktop, thus making the peasant levels less of a drag. What is your build, i suggest you to go something balanced with a good amount of HP or enroll a shielder, even shields that req 3 s-skill can take quite a beating and ofcourse in your peasant levels you can really focus on manual blocking, since your damage output is so low.

Tl;dr: use your low level time usefull: learn blocking, gather money and just relax, when you die, unless you are the last one left or something, it leaves you enough time to browse the forum, make some coffee or do other shit.
Battle is hardest mode in cRPG especially for newbies and low-level players. It full of backstabing horsemen, archers and xbowman, not mention of other classes. It is real frustration when you get killed in begining of battle, so all u have to do is trying to survive and its not fun at all!

DTV is best solution for new players. Kind training for real battles in future and good ability to earn money. Just use cheap armor and weapons.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 03:10:20 pm by Firebrand »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Herkkutatti666

• Duke
  • Renown: 585
  • Infamy: 285
  • cRPG Player
  • Rips pärs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 03:19:22 pm »
no.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 05:29:22 pm »
I've gotten kills at level 1 with a pitchfork.  Early on you play as a peasant, this a role playing game, and is to simulate you getting skills and this time should be spent trying to buy armor and weapons for when you have the skills to utilize them.

One or two nights of playing and you should be at level 20 easily, probably closer to level 24 or 25. 

I'm pretty sure you would get dominated even if you had the skills of a level 30 player (which you should building your char for a level 30 build using character calculators http://infinitum.dyndns.org/crpg/calc.htm).  Your first generation should be about acquiring equipment, and getting familiar with the game.  Most of us have played c-rpg for thousands of hours, so you won't hear much sympathy about the grind of a generation 1 player, we've all been there, and it can seem very overwhelming, but it's really not that bad once you're more familiar with the game.  You can be useful to your team winning as a peasant, and the more your team wins, the faster you gain levels.

Also, I would highly suggest you check out the faction hall of these forums, find a faction's teamspeak or ventrilo and hang out with them until you learn the ropes of the game.  Most factions are willing to show a noobie the ropes and answer any questions you might have (you will probably have a lot) and even more things you won't even know to ask, they can explain to you.

Don't listen to Firebrand.  DTV is not the place for new players.  You should be playing on the battle server, it's the only server that you can get high multipliers and keep them for some time.  Also, on battle, you can stick with a group of infantry with your pitch fork and rear horsemen who charge, or poke at enemies when they get close (to interrupt their attack and allow your friendlies to get a hit in).  Or just stand next to an archer and try to protect them.  You should be on the battle server, 10 hours of playing (if telling the truth) and only level 15 is absolutely horrible.  I get to level 15 (300,000 xp) in a couple hours, maybe 3 hours tops if I have a x1 the whole time.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 05:40:26 pm »
+2
You are dieing because you are a newbie and this game takes a fairly high amount of skill, it's not because you are low level. Many good players can post positive kill:death rations at lvl 10. As a newbie you have no sense of timing, awareness, footwork and other important combat techniques and tactics. while the guys you are up against are skilled gamers who have 1-2 years experience and knowledge of such things, and are drawing on these things to own you, not just raw power.

As others have said, play on either the sub lvl 21 server, or also play on siege not battle. On siege you will respawn faster into combat, so get more combat time, and there also tends to be more newbies and weak players on siege so you should get more kills which helps moral. Just bring a blunt or pierce weapon cuz there tends to be more emphasis on armor on siege. You also don't have to deal with the added tactical dangers of archer and cav flanks.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 05:48:11 pm »
Well either way, I'd be on the siege or battle server, not DTV or rageball or duel.  I personally would suggest battle, but siege is a good alternative as well (because you get more active play time. so better for learning the ropes of the game, but maybe not as good for survivability and gaining experience quickly).  I just think that siege is not as noob friendly as the battle server, because you need strength to be useful on siege, not much a peasant can do climbing up a ladder.  However a level 1 peasant on the open field of a battle can be running in a group of infantry and stabbing when enemies come close.  Not much you can do 1v1 at the top of a ladder when you're a peasant.  Plus it seems like you get better multipliers being on battle than siege.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 05:58:37 pm »
Yes, but if you join that server with a really low level you get humiliated by level 19's. It has happened to me every single time I played on that server.

My suggestion regarding this situation is to shorten the levelling curve, at least until level 24. This is a mod for Warband, a hack'n'slash game; it shouldn't resemble a MMO so much in that aspect.
I had same problem but then i discovered how one handed weapons and long spear or pichfork is deadly on that server. :lol:
It was pure rape,untill archers came and some lvl 20 2h and molested me. But nvm i caused 2 or 3 rage quts at lvl 10,and rolled with good multi for moust of the time.
Ranged weapons,spears,staff,great lance,scimitar,glaive,bastard sword are weapons for that server.
I don't like idea to give anyone any advatage i didn't get as bigginer.
I started in peasant gear and with 100 gold with lvl 1 and i had to play dtv to lvl up. If i made to gen 12 then you ppl should feel my pain also.

Offline Berserkadin

• Duke
  • Renown: 592
  • Infamy: 145
    • View Profile
  • Faction: -
  • Game nicks: Krewl_The_Urist_Fox
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2012, 06:11:56 pm »
+1
There is a max level 20 server, with max 15k gold equipment, play there instead of whining here.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2012, 06:22:59 pm »
+1
No concessions need to be made nor should be made for new players.

The fact of the matter is, if we made all new players level 35 and gave them a whole suite of masterwork items they would still get their asses kicked. Then they would just complain that the mod is "broken" and stupid.

At least starting out as a peasant it gives new players a realistic expectation. You will die. A lot.

The average skill level is just much higher than Native. Native has some excellent duelists, but the average Native player is dramatically worse than the average CRPG player.

If anything it would be nice if there was a message when you first get the mod about how brutal and unforgiving it is and to give people a link to the beginner's guides.

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2012, 06:24:21 pm »
+2
What I just read says your trying to be a hero.....which, as you've found means you die. A lot.

Consider playing the game with the perspective teamwork, comradery, and maybe a long pointy stick at low levels. Protect the friend next to you yields higher survivability and will gain you battle buddies.

Many of you younglins don't realize that even the poke a pitchfork from a farmer can mean the ending of a steroid loomed junkie. This is achieved do to the hit stun and they just can't block everything.

So, give this game another go and protect you teammates. Game changes quite a bit and becomes far more rewarding.

Perhaps someday a teammate would even jump into a overhead maul for you, I know I have.

Offline Firebrand

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Chooser of slain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2012, 06:38:06 pm »
+1
Don't listen to Firebrand.  DTV is not the place for new players.  You should be playing on the battle server, it's the only server that you can get high multipliers and keep them for some time.  Also, on battle, you can stick with a group of infantry with your pitch fork and rear horsemen who charge, or poke at enemies when they get close (to interrupt their attack and allow your friendlies to get a hit in).  Or just stand next to an archer and try to protect them.
Yes, you can listen not me but CrazyCracka420 cause i am newbe for this mod and he is probably 20-30 gen in cRPG, expirienced player having MW weapons and all that Lordly shit. I am sure that he can make some kills on battle server and joy killing some noob tincan with his loomed military scythe being a peasant. But u are not him, you have no expirience in this mod so most of time you will feel frustrations about helplessy against such monsters in lordly kuyaks with MW Danish or such shit. You will be oneshoted by any archer and xbowman. Even with lvl under 27-28 you will feel that. I did. So i said fuck it. I started play dtv - earn enough money, bough good stuff, get retired few times , loomed my main weapon and armor, and then i went on siege. And i can say to u - with all that shit in lvl 28 and above i feel really comfortable. I can manage to kill ppl and be in middle of scoreboard or above each round. So i feel now no frustrations but enjoy the battle. Only one thing pisses me off - is fucking multi system, u can in hours have only x1 and u cant do anything with this, - u cant switch the team so its just waste time. Why they cant give players some profit about your actions on map - killing enemies, making damage, capturing the flag and so on. Its just stupid system - if you were lucky to join good team you will earn easy xp, but if you were not so lucky so  - just suck balls and enjoy your fucking x1 and x5 of the enemies!

About DTV. With this mode, playing with good players like Uther, Fuma, and many others i've learned teamworking basic shit, killing bots with teamwork avoid tem hits and team kills and just enjoy to play with good players hand to hand. I found there no bitching, no insults or other shit u can see on battle and siege server. And when i fight on siege for example - its really funny to meet some guy from DTV eye  to eye and he just play "kick" animation and make upper block to greeting u and then just run in other direction not even mean try to kill u! This is very good mode uniting community not eliminating anger and rage about classes noobs and other shit! :wink:

P.S. My teacher of English would kill me for such BAD text, so forgive me, hope u understand me! :D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 06:59:05 pm by Firebrand »

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2012, 06:56:09 pm »
You can get to lvl21 in the LVL20-low-level server in... 1-2 hours, whilst playing against people with similar level characters.

Yes, but if you join that server with a really low level you get humiliated by level 19's. It has happened to me every single time I played on that server.
Use a cudgel + wear farmer rags till level 20 and write in chat your current level so all other players know your current level and you don't feel 'humiliated'.

You are dieing because you are a newbie and this game takes a fairly high amount of skill, it's not because you are low level. Many good players can post positive kill:death rations at lvl 10. As a newbie you have no sense of timing, awareness, footwork and other important combat techniques and tactics. while the guys you are up against are skilled gamers who have 1-2 years experience and knowledge of such things, and are drawing on these things to own you, not just raw power.
so true, yet when will they ever listen.

No concessions need to be made nor should be made for new players.

The fact of the matter is, if we made all new players level 35 and gave them a whole suite of masterwork items they would still get their asses kicked. Then they would just complain that the mod is "broken" and stupid.

The average skill level is just much higher than Native. Native has some excellent duelists, but the average Native player is dramatically worse than the average CRPG player.
so true, yet when will they ever listen.

But with all the softies now who expect this mod to be as easy and no effort as every other game they are used to I think the devs should just make it easier for new players because I'd rather have whine topics about how the mod is 'broken' than whine topics about how noobs could compete IF ONLY they had tons of gold and heirloomed gear. Sure make it easy for noobs. Give them like 200,000 gold first gen, and no upkeep until level 30. Also maybe give them 1 masterworked item that is non sellable. Whatever will make them start complaining about something else besides gear and gold, do it.

Offline Firebrand

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Chooser of slain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2012, 07:08:13 pm »
Lol, i am newbie, -  give me 35 lvl with all MW and lordly set up. I will not feel any frustrations about how "hard" this mode is, i will feel really comfortable even fighting with hyper- super- skilled players. Yes probably in dueling with good players i will suck, but in siege and battle dueling skill not such matter, but its more important  teamwork! So dont say shit that lvl doesnt matter but only individual skill!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 07:12:47 pm by Firebrand »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2012, 12:53:56 am »
+4
Level 15 (301 595 xp)
An average of 1 million experience per 9 hours of gameplay iirc.
At permanent X1 tick 301 595 xp is 302 ticks, is 5 hours.

You receive a tick at the 30 second mark in game, and every 60 seconds after that, so actually it is even faster then five hours.

I don't know what you are doing wrong considering it is literally impossible to be level 15 at ten hours. You should be a minimum of level 20 if you have absolutely the worst luck in the world and have ten solid hours of a X1 modifier, and you should be roughly with average modifiers level 23 (Max level 28).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 12:58:27 am by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2012, 12:58:02 am »