Poll

punishment?

yes
yes, permaban
solid yes

Author Topic: Editing game graphics to get upper hand in-game!!!  (Read 12658 times)

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
Re: Editing game graphics to get upper hand in-game!!!
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2012, 10:53:57 pm »
+1
Also Contra, a good multiplayer engine wouldn't allow autoblock or aimbots or anything either. Crpg can only ban those who use it, not make it impossible for people to use it. I see no reason that people wouldn't find a way to modify files for other advantages.

Even the best engine has a very hard time coping with cheaters that alter the running process of the game. This is what aimbots or autoblocks are. They are also called "trainers".
Altering the game isn't always bad though; Our very own cmp made the launcher that uses this very same process to add more content to the game, like rageball.

However, just removing transparency from a texture is very much in the power of the game engine itself.

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2012, 10:57:43 pm »

My K/D ratio isn't that great and many players know that i am just a decent/normal cRPG player:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

When playing HA i have the worse K/D ratio ever in cRPG. Have all MW stuff too, HA stuff is too over expensive, I mean playing as HA i will never make any money, as lancer you make shit load of gold + kills and to be honest it is almost the worse class to play in cRPG, they are only good at killing horses and their damage is way too low.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2012, 10:58:33 pm »
To be honest I don't care about a ban, I just find it hilarious how you actually need to do this to gain an advantage over people, since when did you need to see through bushes to suicide charge the enemy spawn, die and respawn?
Sigged
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Korgoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 742
  • Infamy: 100
  • cRPG Player
  • I've dated girls uglier than you for Breakfast
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Korgoth
  • IRC nick: Korgoth
« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2012, 11:07:31 pm »

Korgoth's Retextures
Korgoth's Hierloom Stall

Offline Auphilia

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 190
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2012, 11:10:23 pm »
Contra, I don't know how they would do it. That was just an example. I'm sure they know how to find ways. That is the point.

It is either impossible for them to do it, or it is possible for them to do it.
In the event that it is possible, which many of us agree upon, we now ask ourselves whether or not it should be punishable.

I agree it should be punishable.

I'm not sure why we are debating anything more or less.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2012, 11:14:28 pm »
Contra, I don't know how they would do it. That was just an example. I'm sure they know how to find ways. That is the point.

It is either impossible for them to do it, or it is possible for them to do it.
In the event that it is possible, which many of us agree upon, we now ask ourselves whether or not it should be punishable.

I agree it should be punishable.

I'm not sure why we are debating anything more or less.

Because everything is connected to everything. If you disallow custom mods to cRPG, you also remove a lot of great stuff. Like the heirloom item pack.

This is why it's important to not be short-sighted about this, and calmly assess how much advantage it's possible to gain this way.

If you can make a wallhack this way, something should be done.

If you can't make a wallhack this way, you just got rid of a lot of cool mods for absolutely nothing.

Knee-jerk reactions rarely lead to good decisions.

Offline Tavuk_Bey

• Earl
  • Renown: 409
  • Infamy: 233
  • cRPG Player
  • herrroo, my näym iz bokkkseee änd i'm fukken ugry
    • View Profile
  • Faction: bashibazouk, the official jihad clan
  • Game nicks: tavuk
  • IRC nick: Minister of Shitstorm
« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2012, 11:16:20 pm »
+1
You don't have to remove things completely, I'm sure it is POSSIBLE to increase/decrease the TRANSPARENCY of a texture. Hence, X-ray vision.

I'm not saying you do it Alex. This isn't really about you. You were just one example out of many. Just because you don't know how to do something, doesn't mean it can't be done. I don't know why you feel it is necessary to try and tell me what I do or don't know. It doesn't matter what I do or don't know. What matters is that people CAN and DO cheat using modified files. Period. That's what the topic is about folks, not Alex, not the difficulty in modifying files, not the eye-punishing graphics caused by it, but the idea of modifying files to gain an advantage over other players.

(click to show/hide)

alex is just an example about the fact that people are modding graphics to get upper hand in-game. this is what i wanted people to discuss here and how it should be tracked and punished.

(click to show/hide)

well, to be honest, i don't give any single shit to your irl problems. you'll be better if you keep your mental problems irl out of this forum when you talk to me. the reason why i'm pushing on you is your own behaviors against people on servers and on forum. i advise you to think before acting, especially think twice before you accuse someone and request ban. and also self criticism is another wise thing, slandering innocent people for the cases that you always do is one of the lowest thing you can do both on here and irl.

from now on people won't be able to play comfortably when you are on any server, because you already confessed that you have advantages of editing the object graphics, despite having a shit pc. many people including me will concern about your unfair advantages over us. there is nothing we can do except trusting people like you about not having any unfair modifications unless devs solve this problem. but to be honest, i won't trust someone like you who has shitloads of problems, therefore some strict sanctions must be done to prevent such bundle of sticksry.

(click to show/hide)

your shitty k/d or your class doesn't make abusing the graphics and game rules legal. btw k/d ratios on website are not correct.

roast and roast again until lambs become kebab

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2012, 11:17:48 pm »
+1
My K/D ratio isn't that great and many players know that i am just a decent/normal cRPG player:

When playing HA i have the worse K/D ratio ever in cRPG. Have all MW stuff too, HA stuff is too over expensive, I mean playing as HA i will never make any money, as lancer you make shit load of gold + kills and to be honest it is almost the worse class to play in cRPG, they are only good at killing horses and their damage is way too low.

Just because you don't do well doesn't mean its not cheating. Look at the people who have gotten banned for autoblocking, most of them are no named players who can't get kills even with perfect blocking. Do you think they shouldn't get permabanned?

You can make the same argument, oh well my ping is shitty and I get low fps so I can't see attacks as well as those with gaming computers and high speed internet so I use autoblocks to make it fair. Dont ban me or anything like that because that will make you racist against chinease.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2012, 11:18:57 pm »
+1
While I think that in this case there is no real advantage taken (like someone with a ping of 800 using autoblocker - when he clicks it will be too late anyway), it is definitely worth thinking about it.

I don't think the advantage of a wallhack would be too big. This game is still about melee, it's not a real shooter, there is no shooting through solid objects, and most fighting is still done in melee, the only thing where a wallhack would help there would be knowing if someone is waiting behind a corner or not, but you need to be careful around corners anyway, so it's not worth the effort.

The only thing where this really matters is to be able to spot someone who is shooting either out of a haystack or a bush. And as I think those haystacks are lame and should all get an invisible skin, anyway, only the problem of the bushes remains. And to be honest: I never had problems spotting someone in bushes, a bush with someone hiding in it has a dark, often colourful shilouette in the middle which other bushes do not have, so with a little bit awareness you don't need a "bushhack"

Concerning the matter of invisible textures: I have literally NO CLUE of programming, but don't those bushes and trees have the "empty" texture around the leafs, the thing which is that chequer in Photoshop? You know, making them some kind of "ingame-.png"?

If so, then you could easily make a texture which consists mainly of "nothing", only with a few thin lines in a certain colour to show if it's wood or stone or whatever. That way houses, trees and other obstacles would look like some weird wire skeletons, you would see where they are but you could see everything behind them.

I guess the developers take so much time replying on this matter as they need to be careful what to say and what not, to not encourage some cheating attempts. Perhaps my post will even be edited or deleted, if I am right...  :?

On the other hand I still say that the "cheat" is not really a massive advantage, only a small help in certain situations. That's why I wouldn't take it too serious.

Anyway we have massive differences in gaming quality concerning the systems. I have a good system, I have HDR enabled, and I can see perfectly at night. I heard many people can't see shit at night. Am I cheating? If not, where is the line? Implemented option or not? What makes this a good line? :?
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Auphilia

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 190
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2012, 11:20:07 pm »
Topic: Editing game graphics to get upper hand in-game!!!

:|

If the modified files aren't getting anyone an upper hand, and is purely aesthetic, then they do not apply to this and therefore need not be discussed.

And to be honest: I never had problems spotting someone in bushes

You haven't played against me, Joker. I've ghosted people point blank in bushes.

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2012, 11:25:02 pm »
Just because you don't do well doesn't mean its not cheating.

Yes but all i know/ doing is to lower the graphics as much as possible, please do not link me to cheaters or accuse me as a fucking cheater. I am tired of replying to this thread, nor I will spend time on it no more, Playing on Dx7, 640x480 resolution, everything white and some invisible shit appears in front of you feels good huh?

There is a limit of stuff you can change within warband, no I wasn't changing anything in cRPG, on warband and yet you people keep thinking about hacking/ cheating, this is completely bullshit, it might be possible to hack, but if you are not one of the dev that made this mod it is not possible to hack

there is no way anyone will get caught for editing game graphics, well I was dumb enough to say such things, but still its better to wait for one of the dev to answer these kind of stupid arguments/ questions, i am out

« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 09:20:01 am by AlexTheDragon »

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2012, 11:27:19 pm »
+2
Joker dude,you are not seeing this right.
Imagine you have fog,so archer can shoot from faar away like it is sunny day and no way you can see that he is shooting at you and from where.
Lancer would have advantage of seeing what inf is not aware,and where is the big enemy mob,and where are the loners.
So you can go and avoid pikes,archers and shit,and go for safe kills.
You could avoid getting ambushed by someone in siedge,because some ppl are hiding behind wall,and they just wait for you to come closer to release attack.
You would know where to move,where not to go,you would know if archer behind tree is shooting someone,or is he reloading,you would know if is he spoted you or not.
This is 50% of game skill. Knowing where to go,and where not.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
« Reply #102 on: July 19, 2012, 11:28:07 pm »
:|

If the modified files aren't getting anyone an upper hand, and is purely aesthetic, then they do not apply to this and therefore need not be discussed.

The problem is that the only practical way to combat this is removing the purely aesthetic mods as well!

Just look at:

cRPG launcher can replace every cRPG module related file but these are warband files. With custom client and launcher I guess it will be possible to run simple scheduled check for files integrity and, in case of changed textures and other warband files, redownload them (forced update).

It will just deny access to the server.
That said, nobody will be banned.

It's already being considered due to the amount of whine here.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #103 on: July 19, 2012, 11:31:30 pm »
Yes but all i know/ doing is to lower the graphics as much as possible, please do not link me to cheaters or accuse me as a fucking cheater. I am tired of replying to this thread, nor I will spend time on it no more, Playing on Dx7, 640x480 resolution, everything white and some invisible shit appears in front of you feels good huh?

I play on dx7, just not all super low settings.

Offline Tavuk_Bey

• Earl
  • Renown: 409
  • Infamy: 233
  • cRPG Player
  • herrroo, my näym iz bokkkseee änd i'm fukken ugry
    • View Profile
  • Faction: bashibazouk, the official jihad clan
  • Game nicks: tavuk
  • IRC nick: Minister of Shitstorm
« Reply #104 on: July 19, 2012, 11:35:17 pm »
Joker dude,you are not seeing this right.
Imagine you have fog,so archer can shoot from faar away like it is sunny day and no way you can see that he is shooting at you and from where.
Lancer would have advantage of seeing what inf is not aware,and where is the big enemy mob,and where are the loners.
So you can go and avoid pikes,archers and shit,and go for safe kills.
You could avoid getting ambushed by someone in siedge,because some ppl are hiding behind wall,and they just wait for you to come closer to release attack.
You would know where to move,where not to go,you would know if archer behind tree is shooting someone,or is he reloading,you would know if is he spoted you or not.
This is 50% of game skill. Knowing where to go,and where not.

this.

roast and roast again until lambs become kebab