Author Topic: Horses - how to improve difficulty  (Read 25032 times)

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
Re: Horses - how to improve difficulty
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2012, 05:26:45 pm »
lemmy winks said horses arent as maneuverable as this game.... are you kidding me lol.. they are way more maneuverable and faster than this game man lol

here is your proof.. take a good look and slap yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awR1zuyfXwo&feature=related

yea but that takes skill( lot of that guy is profesional) and lot of trening time
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2012, 05:35:45 pm »
+3
yea but that takes skill( lot of that guy is profesional) and lot of trening time

Which knights ect who ride horses had a lot of generally speaking.

Offline ROHYPNOL

• Earl
  • Renown: 361
  • Infamy: 127
  • Poor Washing Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2012, 05:35:54 pm »
+2
ok so you are saying horses arent fast... its the rider? i can show you some of people that arent pros and still fast as shit.. what is your point

im sorry you dont just jump on a horse without being trained bro lol

if so you make a video of you doing it

make it so that you cannot do these hybrid melee cav builds.. that is pretty dumb.. make it so its dedicated more

I THINK AN AWESOME FEATURE WOULD BE... MAKE IT SO THAT THE HEAVIER ARMOR YOU WEAR THE SLOWER THE HORSE GETS AND MAKES IT LESS MANEUVER.. forcing people to have to use more skill and flanking rather than saying oh shit i have 8if 8ps on horseback with full plate... make that user be slow as shit... you see what happened when you nerfed riding chaz.. you forced people to get minimal riding and tank it up and ACTUALLY being harder to kill lol.. i rem back in the day gettin 1 shot off cav all the time by arrows now i laugh with my troll 8if 8ps highest 8.3kdr in game LOL
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 05:45:40 pm by ROHYPNOL »
Quote from: Jeade
you're rough around the edges.
This is the reason people don't like you if anyone ever did.

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lemmy_Winks
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2012, 05:37:52 pm »
lemmy winks said horses arent as maneuverable as this game.... are you kidding me lol.. they are way more maneuverable and faster than this game man lol

here is your proof.. take a good look and slap yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awR1zuyfXwo&feature=related

Real Horse Bump LOLOLOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYi5A__lWzg

If anything id say the video proves my point, these horses are never going very fast while running the actual course, and when they round the barrel they are down to a fast walk speed, not to mention they usually arent even that close to the barrell. An Arabian in this game turns on a dime and maintains alot of speed. These horses definitly do not turn on a dime and are reduced to a very slow speed just to make the turn. Not to mention these are professionally trained agility horses. The main difference you see here is the horse actually has to turn its whole body realistically, and its got a very big body. In the game the physics dont work that way, and the horse seems to magically turn on its z axis at such sharpe angles as would be physically impossible with an actual horse.

Offline Blashyrkh

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2012, 05:39:21 pm »
make something so people on the horse need to balance themself.

------|------      <--- is ok

--|----------      <--- not ok, falls of the horse and becomes infantry or whistle for his horse

while making fast turns they should move in the oposite direction  so they dont fall off or something maybe via mouse movement?

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2012, 05:40:37 pm »
+4
If anything id say the video proves my point, these horses are never going very fast, and when they round the barrel they are down to a fast walk speed, not to mention they usually arent even that close to the barrell. An Arabian in this game turns on a dime and maintains alot of speed. These horses definitly do not turn on a dime and are reduced to a very slow speed just to make the turn. Not to mention these are professionally trained agility horses. The main difference you see here is the horse actually has to turn its whole body realistically, and its got a very big body. In the game the physics dont work that way, and the horse seems to magically turn on its z axis at such sharpe angles as would be physically impossible with an actual horse.

Arabians have to slow down a lot to turn. It's just that they get between speeds so quickly it can be difficult to notice. But when they turn on a dime they are often going quite slowly. They just accelerate out of it very quickly.

Offline ROHYPNOL

• Earl
  • Poor Washing Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2012, 05:41:20 pm »
+2
lemmy im pretty sure your delusional.. these horses not only stop on a dime but they turn on a dime.. go ride an arabian in game for yourself and full speed and you can see what it does.. you cant look at me doing it and say the same... i slow down when i turn making it have more maneuverability... when you go full speed you are not turning on a dime.. btw this horse also goes slower than alot but is made to maneuver and is very weak.. it is what it is

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2012, 05:42:26 pm »
Which knights ect who ride horses had a lot of generally speaking.

personal RL exp.

and some like 7~9 gens as cav

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2012, 05:42:38 pm »
1)  make lances have chance to shatter based on speed of horse & total damage of hit or armor value of target.  Heirloomed lances would decrease this chance to some degree.  REQUIRE teamwork by forcing lancer cav to rely on team/clanmates bringing them extra lances or pull them from weapon rack.

2)  Get rid of the current, I just got reared so instantly dismounting bullshit.  Also add in small % chance for rider to be thrown from horse on a rearing...the greater the speed the higher % chance.

3)  Allow players to jump/block to try and tackle or pull riders from horseback, with great danger to both parties.

Offline ROHYPNOL

• Earl
  • Poor Washing Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2012, 05:47:39 pm »
and diggles we are talkign about the horse not your ignorant idea of lance breaking lol

Offline Wraist

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2012, 05:48:55 pm »
+1
When I was riding, there were four basic speeds: Walking, Trotting, Cantering, Galloping. Walking, is self explanatory. Trotting is relatively slow and bumpy as fuck so you typically have to "post" [essentially rapidly change from standing up and sitting down]. Cantering is significantly smoother [you just sit] and faster, and galloping is like a faster canter. Before we did anything faster than a trot, we typically warmed up the horses for a few minutes.

For jumping, we typically changed our "stance" to something called a two point one where we kindof stand, leaning towards the horse's neck with our hands up, although I'm not sure if it was significant. There's also something called the three point stance [or something...] that you use for higher jumps and you're higher up on the horse.

I was never too good at horseback riding [I was a wee little kid at the time] and thus I had to use reins in order to direct my horse. My instructor said that you only need to use your legs [as in pressuring one side would change the horses direction] and did that while riding bareback.

The way I was taught to change speeds [I'm assuming that it's based off of how the horse was broken], was that a kick with both legs is used to trot. Exerting pressure with the left leg and kicking three times during a trot was used for cantering, and kicking or pressuring with both legs during a canter was used to gallop.

As for horsebumping, when I was riding if my horse ran or walked into one of the posts we had in the ground [like a sideways cylindrical piece of wood], I was able to feel it, not sure if it was enough to hurt the horse's ankles, but it wasn't enough to bump me.

Horses scare like fuck. My first day, I was outside and there was a plain overhead. My horse started to randomly jump sideways and I was like O.o.

I don't know how to rear a horse on command :| [which should be a mappable button imo].

Spurs and crops are not going to damage a horse.

The last thing I remember is that it's actually a lot easier to learn than I thought it would be.

Offline Radament

• King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • ☑Yes ☒No
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction
  • Game nicks: «Radament» «Miasma»
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2012, 05:51:35 pm »

For everyone else - what changes could be done to increase the player skill needed to ride a horse? Right now, it's W to accelerate, S to decelerate.

How about :

Idle Horse ---- W -> Trot --- W -> Gallop --- S -> Trot --- S -> Stop   (A - D steering)

and maybe horse damage system when charging and crash into a rock or a wall or other static thing?

Offline Toffi

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Honoured Guard)
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2012, 05:52:40 pm »
I think the W-A-S-D isn't too bad... No idea how to improve that.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2012, 06:14:39 pm »
The W-A-S-D  in M&B is perfect, there should be no tweak on that.

Only thing that could be added without totally reworking something that is already a masterwork, is adding things like stamina (and for foot soldiers too) and/or adding special moves.

Offline Strider

• Baron
  • Renown: 110
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2012, 06:22:01 pm »
A MOUNT & blade mod should never be changed like this.
As others have said. It doesn't need to be any different than W A S D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 06:58:30 am by Strider »