Author Topic: Horses - how to improve difficulty  (Read 25081 times)

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
Re: Horses - how to improve difficulty
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2012, 04:52:33 pm »
Maybe decrease the maneuver of the horses, and add a maneuver skill to the "skill tree", so that having riding skill only increase the speed of the horse ( and not maneuvering) so that for a rider to be agile he must add more maneuvering skills.

Totalt shit, or does it make some sense?  :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2012, 04:54:38 pm »
an easy one is to make riders take heavy fall damage if horse is killed. based on speed. will add consequencesto horsedeath and force them to be more careful.

Yes, this is a good thing if possible.

But something that should be changed is the time to get up from the ground. It should be decreased.
Currently you can get hit 3 times (from the same enemy) on ground after falling from horse until you get up.
Better have higher damage from falling down and get up quicker.

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2012, 05:00:18 pm »
+4
Stamina for horses would be great, what Frell mentioned basically, excellent suggestion.

Otherwise, in terms of making Cavalry more skilled; some sort of AoE (Area of Effect) bonus similar to Shield Wall bonus (+shield). If the Cavalry would be bunched up into a charge they'd get a +damage bonus. It would (hopefully) get players to organize themselves into charges - perhaps XP/gold bonus when using a 'teamplay enhancing feature' :P

(Should also do it for Archers, so if they're bunched up - somewhat close - and release their arrows within 1-2 seconds of each other they get +volley effect = spawn more arrows or more damage).

Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2012, 05:01:16 pm »
Completely agree with Frell. A Red Dead Redemption horse system would've been great.

Offline Kuujis

• Count
  • Renown: 298
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Midreek_HRE
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2012, 05:05:03 pm »
+3
1. Horse mood threshold. Accelerating too fast (spurs hitting horses sides hurt), damage, instabraking (due to obstacle e.g.) could decrease it. Staying put would allow the horse to calm down and be rideable again. Terrified warhorse with rider removed by arrows being stabbed could become a beast in tight ranks. If a horse gets too pissed off - throws rider to hell, or rides wherever he wants for some time.
2. Balance of a rider. Not sure how to pull this off, but making turns could be something like Tony Hawk Pro skater game sliding down some pipe: i.e. your main worry is holding your balance. Maybe this could be implemented like this: in order to turn horse one would have to hold mouse2 button and move mouse to sides /front-rear, at the same time adjusting speed and turning with keyboard. Goal would be not to fall down + it MIGHT solve the ugly "dagger blocks whole horse from spears" problem, which was described by others. Not doing this would result in staggers and in extreme cases+low skill - dehorsing.

Offline ROHYPNOL

• Earl
  • Renown: 361
  • Infamy: 127
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Poor Washing Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2012, 05:10:11 pm »
well i guess you guys really didnt read the post.. its not a nerf he just wants to change the way you can ride a horse.. not do all this extra shit like you people are talking about... however chadz is now comparing to riding a horse like riding an airplane lol... riding horses is not all the hard irl really.. but they are much faster and maneuver better irl too.. im sure you knew that tho.. but hell i guess im up for seeing what any retarded idea like the rider gets bumped when he bumps? what ? trolol

P.S. make this game Foot and Blade.. instead of mount and blade...

I believe people are playing the game because of what it used to be.. not because the baddie complainers are trying to make it be.. there is a big skill curve.. and some of you will never be good.. its the way of gaming
Quote from: Jeade
you're rough around the edges.
This is the reason people don't like you if anyone ever did.

Offline Tyr_

• Earl
  • Renown: 445
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player
  • Suum cuique
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tyr; Merc_Nemo; Caesar_Salad
  • IRC nick: Tyr_
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2012, 05:13:00 pm »
+3
What about adding a system similar to the one that Two Worlds II has?
You increase your riding speed by giving your horse the spurs, but if you give them too often its just going to throw you from his back and ride away from you.
So for example you can give a more maneuverable horse the spurs faster without getting thrown down from it-> will speed up faster, while it has the lower max. speed.
This wouldnt really nerf cav but make it harder too play, as it did with archers that must go for headshots to make high damage.

Offline Anal Bleeding

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 105
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2012, 05:14:56 pm »
make a 1 difficulty horse like the sumpter used to be.

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lemmy_Winks
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2012, 05:15:01 pm »
+10
Info on riding real horses:

Alot of good ideas already been posted so ill just offer some random stuff what i know from actually riding horses in regards to comments made already. First off you cannot kill or even hurt a horse by spurring it, horses are 2,000 pound animals and extremely stuff, a spur will not do anything to kill it horses are just sensitive in the rib cage area. Also a trained horsemen will not bounce up and down while riding it making using thier weapon more difficult, trained horsmen will "post" up on their horse to prevent them from being thrown up and down. If you didint do that while galloping youd be thrown from your horse completely. Also a trained warhorse will not slow down because of perceived danger. Horses are not very intelligent and they are herd animals, they follow commands as well as other horses, even into a dangerous situation, which again they are trained from birth not to fear this kind of stuff. An example is a normal horse will not intentionally trample a person, but a war horse will run right over a crowd of people.

Someone also said something about tapping the left spur and right spur to change direction or something? Taping either side once will make a horse walk, tapping twice will make it trot, tapping again after that will send it into a gallop/run, it does not make the horse change direction the reins do that. Horses do respond rapidly to commands, not as fast as the game, but definitly still fast enough i dont see it as a problem. One thing that definitly does strike me is that a horse is no were near as manuverable as alot of the horses in this game, like the Arabian, not that ive ever ridden an arabian but still. Horses are big and somewhat clumsy animals. Also people have been talking alot about riders falling off and the damage associated with that, ive fallen off of horses (its called an emergency dismount) and its not that bad unless your in a group and get trampled by the horse behind you.  It probabbly wont severally injure you if you do it right (just get your feet out of the sturups so you dont get dragged), especially if your wearing armor/padding. And i mean if you fall off a horse and get some cuts and bruises are you actually any closer to being dead? no.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 05:20:00 pm by Lemmy_Winks »

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2012, 05:17:06 pm »
+1
Stamina sounds like an interesting idea.

I also like the sound of the Deluge mod mechanic of riders being taken off horses with heavy hits. That would mean that if a rider was going full tilt on the horse and ran into a spear that hit the shield or them it would take them off the horse. Would be an interesting way to combat the shield forcefield protecting the horse.

I wouldn't add mechanics like a rider being thrown into a wall ect. It's unlikely that a horse would charge straight into a wall in the first place, hence the rearing mechanic now and as others have said they would turn away from the wall or other object before hand.

Fall damage shouldn't be implemented. If it was horses would need a boost in health and armour.

Charge damage bonus/overall damage bonus for horse grouping as with the shield skill sounds like a great idea. Right now the presence of so many weapons which can rear a horse and the low horse health means that charging in groups is simply suicidal, so that would have to be changed. Although charges take more organisation than pubby crpg can really handle unless clans are there to do it so horse balancing shouldn't be entirely based on that.

Warhorses were trained to attack as well as carry the rider so adding other mechanics for horses to damage players would be interesting, although I don't know if that's possible.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2012, 05:18:29 pm »
+2
(click to show/hide)

Improvement!
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Muunilinst

• Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 120
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems
  • Game nicks: Renovatio
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2012, 05:19:48 pm »
maybe add something if the horse with full speed ramms a wall giveit some dmg.

im sure u all know the annoying shit cav lancer comes towards you with full speed and couched lance u stand infront of a wall.
he comes nearer and nearer u dodge the lance the cav guy ramms with full speed the wall and nothing happens...

add some dmg to that would be great.  8-)

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2012, 05:20:06 pm »
+1
model of riding isn't so bad it that game,
in my opinion is one of the best around

But model is one thing, second is how horses act in some situations.
There is really lot of horse reactions that depend on situation.

Horses don't like charge into a wall, some of them like to charge in group and it is kindly difficult to stop them in situations of that.
If horse know then you are bad rider(some of them can notice that in no time) the can ignore you or just throw you out from back.
Some of them are easier to ride when they know you, other just don't care about that.

I really don't know how  force horses to jump on the flat way(we have that name)
some of them  jump over rock wall etc. som  stop in last sec,

sometimes is really easy to make them scary, if someone hit them on the back there is really big chance then hores will kick you
some of them like fight, charge, other one not really.

In my opinion we can't change chores system ingame
we have to replace it with new one,
Best way to do that is a horse lvl system based on your riding skill or something that will force you to spend skills exp or WPF,
there should be lot types of horses what we can lvl up

new system is the behavior of horses is good idea in my opinion

in that way we can solve problem with cav chords, you ask why?
Good cav player need good and trained horse, and that takes time resource skills = less footman abilities

I like rideran idea too

I want to write more about that but i really have no time now

Info on riding real horses:

Alot of good ideas already been posted so ill just offer some random stuff what i know from actually riding horses in regards to comments made already. First off you cannot kill or even hurt a horse by spurring it, horses are 2,000 pound animals and extremely stuff, a spur will not do anything to kill it horses are just sensitive in the rib cage area. Also a trained horsemen will not bounce up and down while riding it making using thier weapon more difficult, trained horsmen will "post" up on their horse to prevent them from being thrown up and down. If you didint do that while galloping youd be thrown from your horse completely. Also a trained warhorse will not slow down because of perceived danger. Horses are not very intelligent and they are herd animals, they follow commands as well as other horses, even into a dangerous situation, which again they are trained from birth not to fear this kind of stuff. An example is a normal horse will not intentionally trample a person, but a war horse will run right over a crowd of people.

Someone also said something about tapping the left spur and right spur to change direction or something? Taping either side once will make a horse walk, tapping twice will make it trot, tapping again after that will send it into a gallop/run, it does not make the horse change direction the reins do that. Horses do respond rapidly to commands, not as fast as the game, but definitly still fast enough i dont see it as a problem. One thing that definitly does strike me is that a horse is no were near as manuverable as alot of the horses in this game, like the Arabian, not that ive ever ridden an arabian but still. Horses are big and somewhat clumsy animals. Also people have been talking alot about riders falling off and the damage associated with that, ive fallen off of horses (its called an emergency dismount) and its not that bad unless your in a group and get trampled by the horse behind you.  It probabbly wont severally injure you if you do it right (just get your feet out of the sturups so you dont get dragged), especially if your wearing armor/padding. And i mean if you fall off a horse and get some cuts and bruises are you actually any closer to being dead? no.

that
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 05:24:18 pm by Rebelyell »

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline ROHYPNOL

• Earl
  • Renown: 361
  • Infamy: 127
  • Poor Washing Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2012, 05:23:27 pm »
+1
lemmy winks said horses arent as maneuverable as this game.... are you kidding me lol.. they are way more maneuverable and faster than this game man lol

here is your proof.. take a good look and slap yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awR1zuyfXwo&feature=related

Real Horse Bump LOLOLOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYi5A__lWzg
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 05:27:37 pm by ROHYPNOL »
Quote from: Jeade
you're rough around the edges.
This is the reason people don't like you if anyone ever did.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2012, 05:24:50 pm »
+2
(click to show/hide)