Author Topic: The Snitch Culture of crpg  (Read 7797 times)

Offline Kreczor

• Earl
  • Renown: 332
  • Infamy: 204
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the qt crew
  • Game nicks: Kreczor_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Kreczor
Re: The Snitch Culture of crpg
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2012, 03:20:00 pm »
I swear, most of the time I'm in the ban/unban section it's because I'm offering a third-party look into the ban.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline BADPLAYERold

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 362
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PRO
  • Game nicks: BADPLAYER
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 03:22:38 pm »
+1
I could get any person banned by just watching them for a day and taking ambiguous screenshots to make it look like they are griefing. That is why I don't like the current system of ban requests cause it is so open to abuse.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2012, 04:00:09 pm »
I think most people believe the banned section should exist for actual griefers, but not for every little thing that occurs in game. Oh look this guy punched me 3 times at the end of a round and did 1/100th of my health when it was 20v1, better screenshot the chatlog and post it on the forums so he gets banned. THAT WILL SHOW HIM!

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 05:13:22 pm »

Funny to me:
Hitting an enemy in the face with a throwing axe.

Funny to you:
Kicking a teammate to his death off of a wall.

Actually, when the opportunity arises, kicking players off high ledges is always funny. But seriously, in all my thousands of hours of play time I cannot recall any specific time where a player messing around has hindered my enjoyment or wasn't dealt with in the span of a map or two.

I would just like to be one of the people to thank you (the snitches) for doing what I cannot be assed to do which is screen shot and actually post on the ban forums to give the actual griefing assholes a nice break from the game. So thank you.

I do agree with the OP though, less serious business would be nice. G'day.

And how!

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2012, 06:37:14 pm »
+2

Funny to me:
Hitting an enemy in the face with a throwing axe.

Funny to you:
Kicking a teammate to his death off of a wall.

There is a subtle but important difference in these two actions, even though they both take place in "just a game".  Until you figure out the difference, you're probably going to be one of those people constantly having problems with "snitches".

everyone can agree kicking someone off of a high place is always funny, if you don't agree you have no sense of humor real talk

anyway, the thing is that actual griefing is really rare in crpg. i'm gen 11 and i can think of maybe 2-3 times someone was persistent/annoying enough for me to take screenshots of it, and i've never posted a ban request. you on the other hand seem to run into it thrice weekly. what i'm saying here is that the vast majority of the population has no "griefer problem", it's only a couple sperglords who get mad every time someone calls them a name ingame - you and anders are the most notable
FREE ALLERS

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2012, 07:26:59 pm »
+1
So what is my point you say? As long as there is a way to snitch people, as crpg has with the ban request threads, it will lead to hard feelings and will eventually foster bitter people who couldn't give two shits about the other person playing the game.

I'm going to use an example that I saw today, and I'm in no way trying to start a trial by forum here, but the thread were Lt Anders requests a ban because some Chaos members were allegedly valour farming. I'm not even sure how you can prove that, but what I'm more concerned about is why Anders would go through the trouble of wanting a ban when he himself wasn't even a victim of anything.

Actually, i was on their team, and having 3 members hide and not help hurts your team, especially when one has a ranged weapon and both are decent in melee. Also, i only wanted 2 of them warned, Jar, who CLEARLY went out of bounds using a seige sheild was the only one who was banned.

I'm just picky about 2 things, and those are: tks and leeching(valour farming, w/e you wanna call it) cause they RUIN your team by having (often) good members sit somewhere and do NOTHING.(or someone removing a player from playing in the case of a tk) Neither helps your team.

Also, at Anti, I only play when others are on(usually), though play by myself occasionally.(I don't make a lot of ban threads, i did post a lot though in threads providing evidence or another look at things.)

Please use mine as an example. I do not mind. I perfer not to comment all that often here cause it's a pain.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2012, 07:37:45 pm »
+3
First off: snitch culture what are we kindergarteners?  If you do something wrong and get banned, raging at the people who got you banned is about as immature as you can get.  Being a snitch - when the need arises - is a good thing.  If you are doing something against the rules and someone reports you but you rage at them instead of accepting the consequences, fuck you.   

Second: Some people seem to love to run to the ban forums at the first possible chance - that I do agree is pretty lousy and given the small community we all know who these people are.

Compared to some of the other 'ban-fans' [trademark] Anders isn't really that bad. Algaroth & Epoch for example seem to spam the ban forums with drivel on a regular basis.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 07:38:46 pm by MrShine »
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2012, 07:37:52 pm »
+6
Why are there whining cunts who cry about people breaking the rules getting their due? Fucking retards crying about "snitching", yes you dumb fucks we can't have an admin watching over your childish asses 24/7, just because there is no admin on a server doesn't mean you suddenly get to break the rules and get away with it.
You know something about the "vast majority" of the crpg population? They never get banned. Not once. Tell me bear, how many fucking times have you gotten banned? Kicked? Muted on the forums? Muted ingame? Godamn retard. People like you are the reason there's a ban request forum in the first place.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2012, 07:40:11 pm »
+3
I could get any person banned by just watching them for a day and taking ambiguous screenshots to make it look like they are griefing. That is why I don't like the current system of ban requests cause it is so open to abuse.

Really? Do it then. Go ahead. Pick some guy who's never gotten banned before, and do it. Of course it won't work because it's a fucking retarded idea and the ultimate decision is up to admins, who have access to the logs and check them.

Offline Crazyi

• Baron
  • Renown: 82
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Crazyi_KUTT, Crazyeye_KUTT, CrayCray
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2012, 09:14:11 pm »
Actually, when the opportunity arises, kicking players off high ledges is always funny. But seriously, in all my thousands of hours of play time I cannot recall any specific time where a player messing around has hindered my enjoyment or wasn't dealt with in the span of a map or two.

I was kicked off the bridge in Mountain Warfare. Karma said "Please don't do that". Now I have nothing against him, as he does usually take the lighter side but it is still quite irritating as a player when I have been banned for less. I still have the screenshot but I decided it wasn't even worth posting. I would be accused of being the aggressor and recieve a ban myself. I think some assigned range of punishment should be created so it would seem more fair when admins rule. The fact that they can do whatever they wish is pretty crazy. Imagine if the courts could sentance you to death for theft, because they thought it was "serious theft". (just FYI, to recieve a death penalty is has to be Capital murder, which is murder + another crime)

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2012, 09:41:37 pm »
Well, a degree of favortism is apparent in all aspects of life and probably more so in things as trivial and mostly anonymous as this game. I also have been banned in what I felt was an erroneous manner and then had the thread locked with no rebuttal.

Whatever's clever is totally whatever.
And how!

Offline Canary

• Marshall
  • Renown: 826
  • Infamy: 202
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2012, 09:44:06 pm »
+2
I was kicked off the bridge in Mountain Warfare. Karma said "Please don't do that". Now I have nothing against him, as he does usually take the lighter side but it is still quite irritating as a player when I have been banned for less.

Here is a major problem with ban requests, and why I'm not a fan of the frivolous use of ban requests we've been seeing a lot of lately. Something that merits a warning as-it-happens in-game necessitates a ban sometimes because of the way the system plays out, particularly when you're not sure a forum warning would actually reach the player who the warning is intended for.

I still have the screenshot but I decided it wasn't even worth posting. I would be accused of being the aggressor and recieve a ban myself.

I also hope that past experiences with admins won't embitter people to the entire group of admins, or the process we use to enforce the rules. Anyone who makes a ban request gets their request looked into, even if we know they've had a history of dubious requests and personal vendettas. If you've done nothing wrong, you won't be punished for anything.

I think some assigned range of punishment should be created so it would seem more fair when admins rule. The fact that they can do whatever they wish is pretty crazy.

This has been brought up before, and is a constant discussion, I think. In the end, though, the rigid system has the same potential to play out for the worse. It might be just as bullshit or moreso if the powers that be decided on egregiously large punishments for minor infractions from the start, or even no-tolerance policies for things that now would not even get you a 24-hour ban if the admin was there to witness it in-game. Or, the reverse, total leniency, regardless of the number of offenses, treating major rulebreaking the same as something as (relatively) harmless as chat abuse, and letting anyone who's banned have another chance without second thought or delay.

Well, a degree of favortism is apparent in all aspects of life and probably more so in things as trivial and mostly anonymous as this game. I also have been banned in what I felt was an erroneous manner and then had the thread locked with no rebuttal.

When this happens, the next step for you is to make an unban request, where you can have your say and bring the discussion back up with a chance of easing the penalty. Alternatively you can try PMing the admin who issued the ban and discuss it privately, or ask them to re-review the case with the rest of the team.

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2012, 09:51:45 pm »
It does seem like a lot of people here go out purposefully to find rule breakers.

Yes.

Me.

I have FRAPS and I will use it.

I think I've posted 4 ban requests since October and 3 of them had FRAPS footage for evidence.  Really, by the time I have fired up FRAPS and started recording and still managed to catch something, you had to be doing something pretty bad.  It's not like I sit around running FRAPS all the time.  But some people don't know when to quit.

And nothing of value was lost.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 09:59:09 pm by Slamz »
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2012, 09:57:51 pm »
When this happens, the next step for you is to make an unban request, where you can have your say and bring the discussion back up with a chance of easing the penalty. Alternatively you can try PMing the admin who issued the ban and discuss it privately, or ask them to re-review the case with the rest of the team.

I think it was in the unban thread but basically I argued with the admins for about 20 minutes and basically got "deal with it", no response when I mentioned the chat log or direct rebuttal for my defense and then I dealt with it and did something else.
And how!

Offline Swaggart

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2012, 10:03:48 pm »
I think the intent of this thread is lost on some people.

In the end, this is a game meant to be enjoyed. I, and I'm sure many other players, find enjoyment playing the game. I have been intentionally teamkilled on more than one occasion but I didn't do anything about it. Why you may ask? Because this is a game. The next round started, I started playing again and had fun. Was it fun for me to be teamkilled? No, but it wasn't enough to ruin my experience. I don't have fraps running nor do I have screenshots. I'm simply not emotionally invested enough into this game to give two shits if a 13 year old wants to ruin my fun (that's how they win after all). Now, if someone was being a sperg round after round then yes perhaps I would be. Or maybe I'd just do something else since this isn't the be all end all of my having fun time.

People just need to chill the fuck out and focus on playing the game, rather than being vigilantes. If someone leeched one round, two rounds, three rounds, does it really ruin your experience? If it does, perhaps there are bigger issues than that person.