Author Topic: The Snitch Culture of crpg  (Read 7796 times)

Offline Chris_P_Bacon

• Count
  • Renown: 195
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • I'm a pig.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Ser_Chris_P_Bacon_Astralis, an_angry_piglet, A_Canadian_Seal_Clubber_Eh
Re: The Snitch Culture of crpg
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 02:17:02 am »
+2
speaking of snitches......................

let me just point out a lil something to you all, some of you seem to have this urge, this drive to want to be something you are not.  Its like a mall cop who thinks he is a real cop.  Your vigilante work is appreciated at times, but the majority of you are like the fuckin whiners and complainers of our game.  As proof to your urges and needs, let me just point out these statistics, honestly quite sad..........

In the following links gaze your eyes to the right lower corner and look at the activity, please note where these individuals seem to spend most of their time, quite shocking isnt it.
Digglez
http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php?action=profile;area=statistics;u=5880
Idlewood
http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php?action=profile;area=statistics;u=14294
Tank Burner
http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php?action=profile;area=statistics;u=6659
Lt Anders - he isnt quite as bad, tho still man chill the fuck out, never met a guy who is so into seeing people banned constantly.
http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php?action=profile;area=statistics;u=178
The only thing this tells me is that these people pay more attention to other players than the standard pub.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 02:23:15 am by JayPet94 »

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 02:27:27 am »
+2
To be fair the ban/unban area can have some entertaining threads. I want a new autoblock thread
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 03:06:53 am »
To be fair the ban/unban area can have some entertaining threads. I want a new autoblock thread
+1

OT: I also make a lot of Ban request. Not that many lately, but I'm guessing I make way more than most people. Almost all of them goes through, too. Dunno why, really. Maybe I'm the only one switching through people when I'm dead/waiting to respawn or actually care about taking screens of that guy randomly attacking people at spawn. Now that I think about it, I've made WAY fewer ban requests after the M-report system came...
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 03:54:35 am »
+3
Need snitches because anti-griefing design is quite lacking.  Other mods prevent griefing with much stricter game design

i have never been griefed by anyone, like the worst that's ever happened is friendly horsebumps, yet you seem to run into it like five times a week. why is this? it's because you're a dumb sperglord who specs anyone who says mean things to him until he catches them breaking a rule.
FREE ALLERS

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 03:56:29 am »
I've made a few out of rage when they've directly pertained to me (being repeatedly intentionally teamwounded or killed).
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 04:23:20 am »
Probably the best game system for dealing with problem children was Planetside, with their automatic TW detection system.  Basically intentional teamwounding (or really careless gameplay) resulted in the offending party getting shut down quickly.  The "M" report system is a decent measure but cRPG still relies on admins for basically everything.

I agree that you don't start frivolous ban threads.  You start well documented ban threads, preferably with video.  FRAPS: look into it!

Some say the community has gotten "serious".

I say a lot of people have really really shitty senses of humor.  They are the kind of people who flatten all your car tires and toilet paper your house in the rain and then egg your car on a sunny day and pour bleach into your gas tank because to them, that's just the height of hilarity.  "Dude, it's not hurting anyone, it's funny!"  No, you just have a shitty sense of humor.  Protip: if the only person who thinks something funny is you, it's probably not that funny.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 04:26:14 am »
+3
tell me more about how you can't tell the difference between IRL property damage/vandalism and being hit by a teammate in a videogame
FREE ALLERS

Offline RibaldRon

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
  • why do butts
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_RibaldRon
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 04:31:46 am »
I think the Ban Request section is  certainly useful HOWEVER I do think a lot of the people in the community use it to lash out at one another.

That's just a result of people taking this way too seriously.  I find it to be humorous.

I have only ever posted one ban request, and it was for a guy who over the span of several maps was opening the gate (as defenders) and TKing people.  He was treating the 5 warnings as his allowance, and TK'd his friends who did not [M] him.  That pretty much ruined everyone's game.  Defenders loved  the free multi until they got autobalanced onto the losing team cause of GTXters.  :rolleyes:

For the most part I think it's all pretty harmless.  Accidents happen, no reason to hold a grudge or OMG THIS GUY IN CHAOS IS PURPOSEFULL TW'ING ME!  It's purposeful  BECAUSE HE'S IN CHAOS and friends with all the admins!!  Yeah great logic.

TL;DR Ban section has a use, but I agree that people often use it as a tool to get "revenge" on somebody they dislike and that's just a bit sad.  Fortunately, we do have smart admins who review the cases, and sometimes even ban the OPs for instigating the response from people.
signature removed: annoying

USA USA USA

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 04:32:51 am »
+2
Considering most of the requests are from like two clans (NH/DL and KUTT) maybe it is you guys that have a shitty sense of humor.

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 05:58:27 am »
The ban request section will never go away.

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline Crazyi

• Baron
  • Renown: 82
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Crazyi_KUTT, Crazyeye_KUTT, CrayCray
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 07:41:33 am »
+1
Most of the ban requests are from two clans? Do those clans have any admins? What clans never post and have a swarm of admins? How very odd.

Antiblitz you do understand the contradicting nature of your post correct? You hate snitches you say?

So what should people do when some idiot decides to TK them intentionally? Smile and say thank you? The "M" report is beyond retarded. You can hit people five times before it kicks you, taking a whole few seconds to get back on. Oh noes. You think some one is going to push 5/5 if they have a multiplier to lose? I've seen certain people get completely careless when their team is losing. Why? No repercussion. I have yet to hit 5/5 in 6 generations, 3 of which are cav. To get 5/5 you should be banned for an hour.

Offline SuperNewb

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None of yo business
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 08:09:53 am »
+1
Most of the ban requests are from two clans? Do those clans have any admins? What clans never post and have a swarm of admins? How very odd.

Antiblitz you do understand the contradicting nature of your post correct? You hate snitches you say?

So what should people do when some idiot decides to TK them intentionally? Smile and say thank you? The "M" report is beyond retarded. You can hit people five times before it kicks you, taking a whole few seconds to get back on. Oh noes. You think some one is going to push 5/5 if they have a multiplier to lose? I've seen certain people get completely careless when their team is losing. Why? No repercussion. I have yet to hit 5/5 in 6 generations, 3 of which are cav. To get 5/5 you should be banned for an hour.

AntiBlitz... you missed one.  :lol:

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 08:28:25 am »
+2
tell me more about how you can't tell the difference between IRL property damage/vandalism and being hit by a teammate in a videogame

And that's certainly the start of the "problem attitude".

It's a game.

What I think most people like to do in games is have fun and maybe compete.  When some teammate keeps kicking your crossbowman every time you go to reload, or kicks teammates off of ladders or rides around knocking down every friendly they can see, you don't get to just say "It's just a game" as if that was some magical license to be an asshat.

Funny to me:
Hitting an enemy in the face with a throwing axe.

Funny to you:
Kicking a teammate to his death off of a wall.

There is a subtle but important difference in these two actions, even though they both take place in "just a game".  Until you figure out the difference, you're probably going to be one of those people constantly having problems with "snitches".
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 02:15:46 pm »
+3
It does seem like a lot of people here go out purposefully to find rule breakers. If you listen to the people in this thread, it sounds like every time they play half of the people are breaking rules or trolling or whatever.

Hell, in all the time I've played I've never run into somebody who ruined my game.

Just makes me think that all the people finding trouble are the ones looking for it.

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 03:15:19 pm »
I would just like to be one of the people to thank you (the snitches) for doing what I cannot be assed to do which is screen shot and actually post on the ban forums to give the actual griefing assholes a nice break from the game. So thank you.

I do agree with the OP though, less serious business would be nice. G'day.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 03:19:03 pm by Memento_Mori »