Add this feature?

Yes
123 (85.4%)
No
13 (9%)
Only if you nerf the secondary mode slightly
8 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 144

Author Topic: Secondary mode for bows  (Read 7558 times)

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
Re: Secondary mode for bows
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 10:04:07 pm »
+1
Interesting suggestion.
Would make it interesting to have tatar AND bodkin arrows.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 10:50:24 pm »
already suggested i think, nothing has been done so far

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 10:59:38 pm »
As a guy mostly playing melee or cav, i do not like this suggestion. It is all about choice, i do not see reason why archers should have this advantage of being able to select type of dmg for themselves according to targets. That is just unfair to all them melee that have to use ONE direction of attack to use different damage type. (even not available to all weapons)

You know, most weapons you can now press X to radically change damage types, like the Poleaxe or Bec or Hammer etc. Some other weapons can even go into polearm mode and rear horses.

Care to swing again about how melee can't do this? Because... They can.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 11:33:50 pm »
+1
As a guy mostly playing melee or cav, i do not like this suggestion. It is all about choice, i do not see reason why archers should have this advantage of being able to select type of dmg for themselves according to targets. That is just unfair to all them melee that have to use ONE direction of attack to use different damage type. (even not available to all weapons)

Flame how much you want, i just stated my opinion  :mrgreen:

Edit: Also, for headshotting, is the difference too visible using cut/pierce? If no, just aim better  :wink:

Well mister you can have a cutweapon and a pierce/bluntweapon to change between different targets, if you wish so. Why shouldn't we get the choice?

Btw guys, you know what force works on a bow when you pull the string? Hit someone with it might work, but not for long until the bow receives dmg.
Block a weapon? Erm...anything to say on that? One dent in your bow's wood and the bow might break next time you draw it....less crap please^^

already suggested i think, nothing has been done so far

Sadly :/  But yeah, I think it has been sugested more than once. Maybe devs are trying to figure out how that works *hopes* ^^

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 11:38:28 pm »
+1 to OP, then add fire arrows, poison arrows, explosive arrows, grappling arrows, nuke beacon arrows, and do the same for bolts except make bolts even more awesome. And increase the maximum ammo held by crossbows. And change the crossbow model to a gun. Please.
Professional poop cleaner

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 11:54:25 pm »
+1
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 12:18:14 am »

What about say, the Poleaxe, or the Bec? They can switch to secondary mode from Cut to Blunt, Pierce to Blunt. There are plenty of melee weapons like this. One hands that can be used in two-hand mode, throwing weapons that can be used in melee mode. There are many precedents.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 12:26:45 am »
Yes this is maybe possible... In the other hand when we think about SECONDARY MODE, it is clear that the other stack of arrows should have some big disadvantages. Just like many melee weapons do. Poleaxe does less damage and is slower when the blunt option is used, even if it doesn't make sense that the same weapon is slower and does worse damage in blunt mode. It is a balance issue and solved like that..

Same should apply to arrows. You take two stacks of arrows, one is main stack and another is secondary. Always when using the secondary one your bow draws slowly and it does less damage. This is tricky thing to balance. Not that simple but doable with some tweaking.

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 05:18:52 am »
Yes this is maybe possible... In the other hand when we think about SECONDARY MODE, it is clear that the other stack of arrows should have some big disadvantages. Just like many melee weapons do. Poleaxe does less damage and is slower when the blunt option is used, even if it doesn't make sense that the same weapon is slower and does worse damage in blunt mode. It is a balance issue and solved like that..

Same should apply to arrows. You take two stacks of arrows, one is main stack and another is secondary. Always when using the secondary one your bow draws slowly and it does less damage. This is tricky thing to balance. Not that simple but doable with some tweaking.

What he said. If and when this gets implemented, it should be tweaked somehow.

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 09:23:09 am »

Then it won't be usable for longbow  :rolleyes:

Btw, not all weapons receive a big nerf when 2nd mode. Warhammer as far as I know gets just a bit less damage, but gains more speed when you change it to pierce

Offline Herkkutatti666

• Duke
  • Renown: 585
  • Infamy: 285
  • cRPG Player
  • Rips pärs
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2012, 09:29:00 am »
+1
+1
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 11:14:21 am by Morso »

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2012, 10:20:48 am »
+1
Its a good idea especially for strat. Being able to swap between +3 Tarta and +3 Bodkins would be a good thing.

+1 to this idea.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1019
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2012, 11:44:29 am »
Fine.

But only if ALL weapons get alternate modes where they deal all 3 types of damage scaled accordingly.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 01:41:53 pm »
Nerf all arrows first, then you can make it happen. :)
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2012, 03:52:33 pm »
Not fond of anything that promotes having two stacks of arrows. I think archery should be changed in a way that having 2 stacks of arrows is quite useless or even impossible. Archers should be able to be good at archery and decent at melee, instead of everyone going pure archery and run whenever danger comes near.

This would require fundamental changes to the mechanics though, but its completely possible. This would be in itself quite a big buff to archery and I'm not sure if that is necesarry.