Author Topic: The decrease of diversity of units on the battlefield.  (Read 6806 times)

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
Re: The decrease of diversity of units on the battlefield.
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2012, 11:13:33 pm »
+1
One thing I liked about Native (where no class had more than 16 strength) was the diversity that each class held. Infantry and most cavalry had the option of using shields, throwing, 1hand, 2hand, polearms. Archers and crossbowman alike were still able to compete in melee while being effective at ranged. Some of the infantry classes even had a few riding thrown in. In cRPG you see more crazy builds, 13 shield, 13 athletics, 10 PS tanks, but less balanced builds with an eye for utility, unfortunately, because the way the mod is set up, utility builds do not pay. It makes more sense to just stack in one direction, go full archer, full 2hand, full throwing, etc. Though at least some of the issue is just player choice. Archers choosing to not invest in any power strike, infantry choosing not to bother with 3-4 power throw.

My build is very much based on Native Crossbowmen, because they could fill almost every role. One of the problems with cRPG is people making very focused, one role builds that have big weaknesses against other roles. Rather than refine their build, they demand nerfs, and so everything in this mod becomes weaker and weaker.

Offline MadJackMcMad

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Hawk the Slayer's Rubbish.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Grumpy, 22nd_MadJackMcMad
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2012, 11:14:25 pm »
RIP Crossbowman.
ABSURDITY, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2012, 11:17:37 pm »
RIP Crossbowman.

Twas about time to get rid of that easy-mod-always-staying-last-on-hardly-reachable-places stuff + zillions of WhineUKR and CampioSandro clones. Hope it stays dead for good.
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Harpag

• Marshall
  • Renown: 914
  • Infamy: 263
  • jebać merców
    • View Profile
  • Faction: UIF
  • Game nicks: Harpag_the_Grey
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2012, 11:24:25 pm »
I understand the "melee part of the community" and I respect their opinion, but this is not a reason to impose their point of view for everyone else. Do you think that "only melee servers" is an acceptable solution?

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2012, 11:36:36 pm »
Twas about time to get rid of that easy-mod-always-staying-last-on-hardly-reachable-places stuff + zillions of WhineUKR and CampioSandro clones. Hope it stays dead for good.

:lol:
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2012, 11:41:21 pm »
+1
I think some of the statements here about infantry being too braindead are definitely true.

First of all I have to quote myself, to save me some typing work:

I just want to state that in my eyes balance needs to take both into consideration: the average player, who uses his possibilities in by his average level. If the average player of a certain class uses less teamwork than the players of other classes, you have to balance accordingly, or the gameplay on the servers will suffer from it.

But you also have to take into consideration the maximum possible performance of other players. You must not allow some "nerds" to become absolutely dominant and unkillable, and you also have to take care that all classes have about the same skill ceiling and efficiency. Otherwise all good player who want to maximize their performance would change to that one particular class.

You are probably right that most infantry players play less intelligently (?) than they should. But you can't just accept it, shrug and see how only cavalry and archers decide the outcome of a battle and the infantry being downgraded to the "lemming grunts" and "cannonfodder".

That's why I think that the argument "if the class would use more teamplay they wouldn't have that problem" is not valid. And thus there needs to be done something about. In my eyes nerfing/buffing the effectivity of a certain class does not work well, because it also affect the skill ceiling. I rather prefer solutions that change the behaviour of players. For example some kind of command system with rewards, that would make infantry stick together more, allowing them to deal better with archers and cavalry.

This is my basic point of view. Yes, it's definitely the infantry's own fault to a certain degree that playing this class was a pain in the ass for such a long time. But I think it would be wrong to say: "Their own fault, let them deal with it", because the entire gameplay on the servers suffers if a class is underrepresented, and be it only by skill and not by numbers. And I think we agree on this, as this thread is about this matter.

I also agree that for my taste there is too much cav and 2hd/halberd infantry now on the servers, and too few archers, crossbowmen and throwers. And the "quality" of most pikemen/spearmen could be... better...

I think the basic problem is that players get simply thrown into this game and not be taken by the hand. A good community can make up for this, but what we have is the cRPG community, so forget about this solution.

So we need something that helps new players to get into the game, not only concerning the mechanics, but also the behaviour. Currently players are left totally alone and either get wrong impressions (this game is about rushing and spamming) or develop bad habits. There are several possibilities to prevent this:

- more explanations on the character page, especially around the skills, so that we have less crappy builds. Realizing that your build is crappy and having to give up 50% XP or suffering with it until you hit lvl 31 can be demotivating and can force people to GTX.

- having a nice youtube channel with short, entertaining tutorial videos, from downloading the mod file over creating your fist char, logging into the page to choosing your character. Once a video has finished it shows the links to other videos, for example

"Downloading and installing the mod"
||
V
"Creating a character and logging in to the character page"
||
V
"Deciding which class you want to play"
||                                   ||
V                                    V
"Being an archer"         "Being a spearman"

And then you explain not only how you build your character, but also what is expected from you on the battlefield. (Spearmen: stay at the flanks at protect against cavalry. Archers: first priority target at the beginning of each round are the horses of cavalry)

Warning signs on the account creation side could tell new players that they will suck and have no fun at all if they don't watch the videos, as cRPG is totally different from any other module in Warband. I think this could already help.

You also need to offer more videos with some more sophisticated tactics (e.g. bottlenecks, the right hillcamp, etc.) which are entertaining and easy to find, you more or less have to "stumble" upon them on the cRPG pages, instead of having to actively search for them in forums or youtube. You know what I mean? We must catch the "uninterested", the more "casual" players.

- implementing a nice command system, which offers real rewards for following orders. This way you motivate players to follow tactics, even if they don't believe in the advantages it offers. Sooner or later they will realize it, and become valuable team members. Notice that all this doesn't go against the idea of casual players who only play from time to time.

- perhaps you can implement some "tasks" for peasants to give them massive benefits. For example if you put your first WPF into polearms, and you kill a horse, you get 500 gold reward from level 1 to let's say 15 or 20 (Only one task can be fullfilled per character). This idea is very spontaneous and not well thought out, but I hope you know what I mean. Make players get used to the right behaviour from the beginning!

If the developers followed this path, they could perhaps break through that vicious circle of nerfing and nerfing.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2012, 11:48:28 pm »
+1
And sadly native remains as a winner when it comes to class ballance.
Balanced only to someone who wants to play Medieval Counter-Strike. Most Native matches are played with about 80%+ ranged and class limits even have to be imposed in tournaments (like '5vs5') to have other classes represented.

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2012, 11:50:14 pm »
I think the basic problem is that players get simply thrown into this game and not be taken by the hand. A good community can make up for this, but what we have is the cRPG community, so forget about this solution.

Instantly reminded of this;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGW3ydlZvrg
Watch and cringe at every common mistake these guys make.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Gnjus

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2012, 11:51:57 pm »
I understand the "melee part of the community" and I respect their opinion, but this is not a reason to impose their point of view for everyone else. Do you think that "only melee servers" is an acceptable solution?

If you're asking me the answer is No. Never did and never will, actually when it was online i went on it only once. I agree with you about the diversity stuff, I've been thinking the same from day 1, i think most of the gear should be used instead always the same 5 or 6 weapons, armors, whatever and that all classes should be played. Here we come to the problem: none ever cried for ranged nerfs but those classes were always overplayed, half or even more then half of the server was shooting something and it was unplayable for everyone else. If there is anyone to blame for such state of the "Battles" its the players themselves: you lads either played dedicated rangers from the start or tried out melee but raged about being shot while more and more of you quit it and went ranged yourself and in the end we had Call of Duty 5: Medieval Warfare. Most of those rangers defend their playstyle with a classic "we play the way we like, its fun for us" reasoning but most of it is crap, true reason is that they all want easy mod collecting free kills until the last moment and then go melee if needed because running forward and getting shot before you manage to swing your weapon is very frustrating, just ask Dave, i spectated him while he was pure melee and it was completely different from his usual sharpshooting stuff: he ran forward, sometimes dying very fast, sometimes getting few kills before being ganked, his scores were nothing special compared to when he was hiding and shooting AND cutting down those who came to kill him and thought he was easy prey, so i can understand his frustration and I'm 100% certain that most of the folks think the same: why die early in the front lines when you can stay alive by shooting ? Playing for 5 mins > Playing for 2 mins, dying and then spectating next 3 mins. Nerfs are only here as the only possible way to decrease the number of ranged to a decent size. If people who play the game were normal ranged nerfs would be completely unnecessary and they would never happen.

TL;DR - I never asked for a ranged nerf but i hope devs have more of it in their stocks, since most players are unable to remove the "I wanna be a Robin Hood/Wilhelm Tell in virtual life since I'm shitty & useless in real one" blockade from their heads and play this game in a decent way.

Now i have a question for you: do you find it normal to have more then 50% of the server shooting something ? Is that your idea about how this game should be played ? Are those the battles you want to play ?

(click to show/hide)
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2012, 11:57:10 pm »
+1
You know, the reverse holds true, in that at least on NA our top 2Hers and Poles manage to survive the range-spam and get fantastic scores... And yet you keep hearing cries for nerfs. That is pathetic. BkS_Tyrian is living proof that you can beat the living tar out of a team with no shield AND NOT HIDE EITHER, Rhaelys is living proof that carrying a shield and using a poleaxe or equivalent will not gimp your score at all and still be a viable melee who top-scores, and Balbaroth is living proof that shielders can trash people and still come out on top.

So, question is, why do you all suck so much that you can't get on their level?

Oh, shielders can't take out kiting range? Odd, matey or Smiling_Daemon do it all the time...

Light Cav get shot up too much? Huey does just fine and top scores despite TKing a guy for every three kills he gets, not counting others.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:58:34 pm by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2012, 11:59:24 pm »
+2
hush ye :D

I agree that the nerf was too hard. All that was needed was the removal of ladders from battle mode.

The whole reason for the range rage was due to 5-10 ranged on a roof that you cant reach.
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2012, 12:01:47 am »
+2
^ This.
All melee wanted was to not have to charge up a tiny ladder that could be destroyed by someone breathing on it (killing everyone on it) into the maw of 10 or so assorted archers/crossbowmen firing down into them. Damage was fine otherwise.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2012, 12:02:30 am »
hey now, I'm just saying, if us range are expected to do as well as Jambi and such and be skilled, why are you melee unable to match up to Tyrian and such? Gawd, you all are just lazy, psh...

Pathetic! Disgraceful!

SHAMEFUL DISPLAY!

In all seriousness, removing ladders was good enough to make Range lessen as the roof-crutchers have to adapt or respec, the damage nerf was retarded (And cmp and company are lunatics for thinking buffing HS damage was a good idea)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 12:03:40 am by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Gnjus

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2012, 12:06:39 am »
blabity bla, bla, bla

And yet again a Yank comes down here to argue with Euro trash bringing his typical non-valid comparisons with him. On NA you never had an abnormal ranged spam like we did here and last time i checked (before recent patches) you didn't even had roof camping while we couldn't move 25 feet without getting rained down with projectiles from some unreachable house. I was there a few times and i saw all i needed to see: you play in a fucking paradise and yet you come here to argue with us who play in hell, why ? Just why ? EU whining threads don't count for NA, as I'm sure it's the other way around as well. We play different games in different worlds (well at least we used to, before the latest patch swarm).

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2012, 12:11:27 am »
Na never had range spam roof camping?

Holy shit...

Mind... Blown.

As someone who plays regularly on both servers (including prime time for both), it felt the same, just you had more bows and less crossbows, slightly lower armour, less heavy cav and more light cav, and equal amounts of roof-camping scumbags.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 12:13:23 am by Tears of Destiny »