Author Topic: The decrease of diversity of units on the battlefield.  (Read 6797 times)

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
Re: The decrease of diversity of units on the battlefield.
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2012, 12:18:45 am »
Na never had range spam roof camping?

As someone who plays regularly on both servers (including prime time for both), it felt the same, just you had more bows and less crossbows, slightly lower armour, less heavy cav and more light cav, and equal amounts of roof-camping scumbags.

Well i know what i saw (way before the ladder removing patch): NA battle server with 60 people on it, some arabian village with lots of nice flat roofs, maybe a dozen ranged and not a single one on the roof. I was sober and i wasn't dreaming.

Anyways - it's past midnight here and I'm going to bed. I hope that (for a change) I'll be counting sheep instead of archers before falling asleep.  :wink:
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2012, 12:22:52 am »
Instantly reminded of this;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGW3ydlZvrg
Watch and cringe at every common mistake these guys make.

I wish I still had the opportunity of being delighted with my first kill when I'm a peasant. Good times. Good times indeed.

Roleplaying a poor dude trying to survive in the hailstorm was pretty cool and unique :D

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2662
  • Infamy: 1264
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2012, 12:23:00 am »
And yet again a Yank comes down here to argue with Euro trash bringing his typical non-valid comparisons with him.

He's part Turk if I remember right. Imagine a hybrid of HarunYahya and POOPHAMMER and you got a pretty good picture of ToD :D

PS. You totally deserved that -1 for writing that huge wall of text. Not your style, not at all.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2012, 12:32:54 am »
GrannPappy retired to Lancer Cavalry before the patch, but for drama's sake I'm going to say it was in protest to the ranged nerf  :P (but you can see I'm in no rush to get back to my bow just now)
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Harpag

• Marshall
  • Renown: 914
  • Infamy: 263
  • jebać merców
    • View Profile
  • Faction: UIF
  • Game nicks: Harpag_the_Grey
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2012, 12:35:08 am »
Hey, Gnjus - it was a rhetorical question. I know that "only melee servers" is not an option, because people prefer to play together. And this is very good. A large server, a lot of people - a lot of fun. That is why we need a compromise. I believe that the best indicator of a good balance is a great diversity of individuals. I agree that very much depends on the players. There is one problem - it is easier to change the game than people. You have to do simultaneously, but in such a way that they are not abandoning the game. You need to have a little more tolerance. Not everyone has a predisposition to being a champion of manual block. Not everyone has the "sniper's eye." For all should be some place. One likes the wine, the other likes beer - is this a big problem?
I think that if the best players of the class changing profession, it means that the problem is real.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Sharky

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Legione Italica
  • Game nicks: LEGIO_Sharkyborn_Sharkatron Legio_Lollia_Paolina Legio_Sharkatrower Legio_SharkaNukes
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2012, 12:51:14 am »
I think  continuing on this nerfs and counternerfs to try to balance out server classes ratio just doesn't lead to anything. Balance was ok before those patches, it needed some refinement (removal of ladders first of all) but it was still way better then native.
Only the classes ratios were wrong, there were simply too much people with xbows and bows to make it fun for melee players.
Best solution would be set classes limits that every server can change, but dunno if it's technically doable.
So melee server will have 100% infantry, there will be free servers with no limits and other kinds of servers with custom limits (for example  50% infantry 30% ranged 20% cav)

If not we'll just continue like this endlessy. For example too much Ranged? OP nerfs that destroy their will to play and forces to change classes. In my clan already 5 guys changed from ranged to melee.
And we are talking only about a temporary solution to classes ratios, because the moment you will buff ranged again i'm sure everyone will just come back to their favourite classes.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 01:27:22 am by Sharky »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2012, 01:10:49 am »
He's part Turk if I remember right.

Hmm, not quite right. I spent some of my childhood there, but I don't have a drop of Turkish blood in me.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline SoA_Sir_ODHarry

• Baron
  • Renown: 134
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ODharry
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2012, 01:23:21 am »
summary of Patch:

CAV is a Plague NUFF said

Pro:
Nerf of ranged

Contra:
Nerf of ranged

its a dilema....

solution:
buff HOPLITES
buff Teamplay?
Crob: i'm in duel tryin to not be shit
Crob: now i'm running round eu2 with a dagger

JOIN The Horde NAO
       http://steamcommunity.com/groups/F-POC

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2012, 02:01:44 am »
Apart from roofcamping, and just before the silly right swing delay patch, wasn't everything just fine?  Or did I miss some epic whine about something or other?  nerfrpg, sigh

Glad my name is catching on, sad that it's able to be called nerfrpg..such a great game...but they constantly change it.  Sometimes for the better, but mostly it seems like nerf upon nerf upon nerf.  I think removing ladders was good.  I never thought the damage archers did to the body was overpowered.  If you wanted to effect throwers and crossbows, this wasn't the way to do it.

Not to mention, even if ranged was slightly more powerful than you wanted before the latest nerf, the new change is WAY worse (in the other direction).  I always thought of archers as support classes before the nerf, now they are really pushed even farther into a niche.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2012, 02:16:03 am »
Yeah Im stuck to sieges.

Offline SoA_Sir_ODHarry

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2012, 02:35:35 am »
well
since patch we got massive melee battels only disturbed by massive Cav plague
Ranged shouldnt be that useless but also WHY THE FUK
should s1 whos STANDING and SHOOTING have easy kills while any meele gotta putt doubel effort (actually gotta move) for 1 kill or even damage the opponet
through cav and only through cav ranged is so importend in normal battel
and this issue never will be fixed if not through improved teamplay

If u play range u play STF

JOIN The Horde NAO

Offline DrTaco

• Count
  • Renown: 179
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
  • Your eternal reward
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swashbucklers
  • Game nicks: Magical Toaster
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2012, 02:43:14 am »
A decrease in throwing players? (As if there were any anyway). Well i'll just have all the throwing lances all to myself then.

~Help us. We're dieing. Maybe in time you'll learn to love us.
Don't take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2012, 03:12:00 am »
well
since patch we got massive melee battels only disturbed by massive Cav plague
Ranged shouldnt be that useless but also WHY THE FUK
should s1 whos STANDING and SHOOTING have easy kills while any meele gotta putt doubel effort (actually gotta move) for 1 kill or even damage the opponet
through cav and only through cav ranged is so importend in normal battel
and this issue never will be fixed if not through improved teamplay

If u play range u play STF

Or you could try being a ranged centred character and then perhaps rephrase that.

Offline SoA_Sir_ODHarry

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2012, 03:33:42 am »
well thats my personal meaning bout range role in crpg
For me meele is the only fun at this game if u wanna 1shotkill  go shoot some moorhuhns
but also i believe range is a important class and probably good fun if u good at shootin
but also my personal view is that ANY range class should play the same Role like Hoplite.
A support role which help ur team like get rid of cav or hit/damage INF so heavy inf can kill them easier and so ur Team wins easier
This view might got his roots of that im an addicted
SHIELDWALL WHORE

JOIN The Horde NAO

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2012, 06:32:44 am »
+1
(click to show/hide)

This post is full of truth. We need some way to direct newbies (and the just plain stupid) into understanding the mechanics. For starters, explanations of the skills and stats. Secondly, include a calculator as a tab in the main site. Finally have some beginner guides linked in a very visible way for new accounts. There's actually a great example of what we need in a newbie guide in the Chinese part of the forum, here (It's in Chinese of course, but you can just use Google translate) Tear's guide is good, but it needs some more explanation, and needs to be easier for the total-newbie-just-signed-up to find.

Something that would help immensely is if we could get a few veterans of certain classes to make an in-depth thread discussing their build and play-style and lock it so we don't get hordes of idiots clogging it up with "advice".

Currently we have people running with very specialized builds, and hit a build that counters theirs, or one that they simply don't understand how to deal with, and then cry OP. As an example, if a newbie decides to try the Pike as their first character and runs into a Great Maul, it makes the maul seem like the most OP thing in the world (which, of course, it isn't). Or you get newbies who don't understand how to deal with ranged charging straight forward and then crying OP when they get shot to pieces. What we need is a way to teach newbies how to deal with these situations and to show them that they got killed, not because their opponent was OP, but because they did something foolish.

I would also strongly recommend making the suggestion corner only open to people who have been registered for a certain length of time (say, 4 or 5 months MINIMUM).