Author Topic: New ranged change  (Read 39218 times)

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
Re: New ranged change
« Reply #465 on: January 22, 2012, 11:59:21 pm »
The problem are the little differences: infantry has to come CLOSE to have archers run, while archers can deal damage all the time, even if the infantry is running.

Yes I was considering that. But then archers have arrow limits. Agi builds could have more ath than archers who use the stronger bows. 2h can pump a couple of points into the shield skill easily and can also take heavy armour.

There are little things that can make the differences count for less. But obviously not everything can have an advantage over everything else, and skill and preparation, whilst closing the gap, won't always be enough. No degree of balance can make all classes equal in a 1vs1 fight. Particularly not in a mod that has such a huge variance of builds.

A lot of it is also situational of course. Environment dependent and the like.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:09:07 am by Overdriven »

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
« Reply #466 on: January 22, 2012, 11:59:52 pm »
The problem are the little differences: infantry has to come CLOSE to have archers run, while archers can deal damage all the time, even if the infantry is running.

In an open field with zero cover, you are right. Of course, cav will be the bigger issue on that random plain.

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #467 on: January 23, 2012, 12:58:52 am »
I don't think that any class should be running away from another. Especially not if the other class can shoot after the running one.

That's another reason why I hate horse archers that much. There are several classes that can't defend against a horse archer, or are even completely defenseless, and there isn't even a chance to run away. You are completely at their mercy. And I don't like this, because the horse archer can defend himself very well against all classes.

Either all classes have absolute counters, or none. Either all classes have to adapt, or none. Either all classes require teamwork, or none.

Joker joker.. man dude. Every class does have to adapt. HA's have a few counters. Archers, xbowmen, and throwers. All three of those can counter HA's. Especially if they focus on the HA and prevent the HA or HAs from doing anything to the rest of the team. HAs are crap against archers on a 1v1 (unless they horse bump/shoot to death). HA cannot defend well against all classes especially after being nerfed almost to oblivion.

You're not the guy to talk to about balancing ranged anyway. You hate the fact that ranged exists and want all ranged to be gone or using cotton balls on sticks as ammo.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 23, 2012, 01:06:53 am »
1. Imagine a 2d map with 2 points. These 2 points are the archers. Since arrows fly in an almost straight line and dont penetrate shields let alone players, everything behind a shielder is safe. If you draw a line between these 2 points/archers, this is the space where the shielders have to move/position them selfes in order to protect their buddie from 99% of all arrow hits. Or in a simpeler manner: they just have to protect their backs. I dont see the problem. Common sense ...

I suggest you try that as a shielder, because it is completely unrealistic. Both having to run towards a kiting archer and following what he does to make sure not to be shot on the sides of the shield, while simultaneously watching your back to make sure you are covering your teammate, that's not easy. Furthemore, since our archers are faster than the shielders, especially when the shielder is forced to block, nothing prevents any of the archers to sidestep slightly and fire into the other shielder. Even more problematic : how are the shielders supposed to reach that line between the archers in the first place ? The archers can both kite backwards and make this impossible. On average, the shielders are doomed

We haven't been playing the same game you and I. The mere fact that what you describe never happens, even with the best shielders should atleast raise a bullshit alarm in your head.

Edit2:
+ what Overdriven said. Its funny that teamwork seems to be a lot more intuitive among archers than melees. I once was one of 3 last man standing, all archers. 2 armored guys approached. IMMEDIATELY we formed a PERFECT triangle around them without anyone saying/writing a word, outplaying them masterfully. This is why Im proud to be an archer *wipes tears*  :D

Teamwork is a lot more intuitive among archers than melees, because the game engine is like that. Arrows don't travel sideways, and there is no risk for your archer teammates, no matter how skilled you are. The triangle thing is also very natural for everyone, melee do that all the time when outnumbering, trying to get in the back of the enemy. Hell, even me as a totally noobish archer I do that when I team up with other ranged. Thing is, it is a lot harder to do when you are up close and have to block and time everything you do correctly to avoid hitting teammates. Archers don't have to worry about their teammates at all because the risk of shooting them is usually negligible, except when firing into melee. That's not outplaying, that's relying on your speed and range advantages to get an easy victory.

2. Granted you have some sort of building, sure. Open ground however does not let you position your self in a way to be safe from cav. Also Ive very rarely seen melees defending archers on a public. Theyre more likely focused on killhunting. Still cav can pretty much move whereever they want, from which side they want, backstab and be gone. Even if you hit the rider the horse will just bump you for 1/4 of your health.

Most decent archers pull off horse/rider headshots to those that try to kill them with ease. I guess they have a secret. Or is it just awareness ?

3. As stated: If your are a 2h that is very susceptible to arrows it is not best idea charging archers is it ? Shielders for example are more suitable for that. This is the idea behind different classes I would guess.
Edit:
+ what bonekuukkeli said

Running away doesn't solve anything. The archer just follows you at a safe distance until you die. I guess sometimes it works because an ally ninja'ed the archer. But then to be fair there should be two archers. And this starts to look like what I've explained in my first paragraph. As a shielder, it is arguably my role to chase archers. However, I can't force him to stop and fight me since he's faster. I'm merely locking both of us in a less defendable stance, but I can't do anything else. Furthermore, this little jogging will more than likely end up in the enemy team for me, with the archer unscathed.

The problem for me isn't the strength of ranged against shieldless infantry. It's how shielders and cav are poorly equipped to counter archers. Shielders being too slow, and cav lacking arrow protection and being too easily dodged.

Offline bonekuukkeli

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Xawi_von_Perkele
« Reply #469 on: January 23, 2012, 01:30:58 am »

The problem for me isn't the strength of ranged against shieldless infantry. It's how shielders and cav are poorly equipped to counter archers. Shielders being too slow, and cav lacking arrow protection and being too easily dodged.

No point continuing this discussion. Yes. We have been playing different game.

If you charge solo, you die and that's how it should be. Shielder even if he can't catch up archer, can "lock" archer from doing anything for whole round _easily_. If he escapes to his teammates you have 2 options. Engage and try to survive or then fall back to your own team-mates. You are really talking like this game would always be 1 vs 1 or something like that.

Anyway... yesterday I charged 3 archers and killed them all. How did I manage to do it with only 2h weapon and crappy pilgrim robes? I didn't cross open field! I went behind them from bush to next, from corner to another. And when I was near them, I waited till they were shooting someone else further away and at that point I engaged. They had only 2 options. Try to run away or fight back with retarded melee abilities. 1 tried to fight and died, 2 were trying to aim me but with their 1 guy trying to fight in melee between them and me, they were unable to do it. Point is... they tried to shoot me, so they HAD to stand still. I killed one after another using this same "meatshield" tactic and killed them all.

Sure they all were noobs and should have escaped, separated etc? Yeah.... but people aren't perfect when someone suprises them like this, they tend to panic.

I must be superhero! No. I just figure out how to deal with them. Mindless rushing has never worked for me so I tried something else. You should try that as well. Playing like this worked before patch as well and as told, I NEVER had problems with archers if I do what ninjas do "Mind is my armour".

Melee has to learn to use reflexes and their muscles, but I also suggest they should try to use brains.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:35:16 am by bonekuukkeli »

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #470 on: January 23, 2012, 01:40:42 am »
Well Kafein, once again I find it hard to agree with most of your statements, might it be because I dont think it is correct or I just have another point of view. I dont want to reexplain my position the 3. time here so ill just accept that its your opinion. Maybe we do played a different game there.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 23, 2012, 02:03:47 am »
No point continuing this discussion. Yes. We have been playing different game.

If you charge solo, you die and that's how it should be. Shielder even if he can't catch up archer, can "lock" archer from doing anything for whole round _easily_. If he escapes to his teammates you have 2 options. Engage and try to survive or then fall back to your own team-mates. You are really talking like this game would always be 1 vs 1 or something like that.

So for you "locking" someone is effectively countering it ? Then I wonder why archers aren't just repelling 2h instead of killing them. Actually, the 1v1 hypothesis helps you, since if there were two archers and two shielders, it would be worse, and so on.

Anyway... yesterday I charged 3 archers and killed them all. How did I manage to do it with only 2h weapon and crappy pilgrim robes? I didn't cross open field! I went behind them from bush to next, from corner to another. And when I was near them, I waited till they were shooting someone else further away and at that point I engaged. They had only 2 options. Try to run away or fight back with retarded melee abilities. 1 tried to fight and died, 2 were trying to aim me but with their 1 guy trying to fight in melee between them and me, they were unable to do it. Point is... they tried to shoot me, so they HAD to stand still. I killed one after another using this same "meatshield" tactic and killed them all.

Sure they all were noobs and should have escaped, separated etc? Yeah.... but people aren't perfect when someone suprises them like this, they tend to panic.

I must be superhero! No. I just figure out how to deal with them. Mindless rushing has never worked for me so I tried something else. You should try that as well. Playing like this worked before patch as well and as told, I NEVER had problems with archers if I do what ninjas do "Mind is my armour".

Totally wonderful, except this isn't a "charge". Anybody can kill unaware players of any class, what you said doesn't prove anything. Decent archers either follow their melee teammates or have good awareness. Sneaking on people isn't a valid tactic, simply because you can't do that on a large scale, and you are completely dependant of your luck since if somebody spots you you'll soon have the whole team attacking you. Imagine a whole team of archers against a whole team of ninjas. That isn't going to work. No matter how you approach the issue, other classes on average deal with archers by outnumbering them.

Well Kafein, once again I find it hard to agree with most of your statements, might it be because I dont think it is correct or I just have another point of view. I dont want to reexplain my position the 3. time here so ill just accept that its your opinion. Maybe we do played a different game there.

I think we agree about that.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #472 on: January 23, 2012, 02:08:25 am »
I really like the new MW skin for my Rus Bow.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #473 on: January 23, 2012, 02:18:46 am »
I just want to state that in my eyes balance needs to take both into consideration: the average player, who uses his possibilities in by his average level. If the average player of a certain class uses less teamwork than the players of other classes, you have to balance accordingly, or the gameplay on the servers will suffer from it.

But you also have to take into consideration the maximum possible performance of other players. You must not allow some "nerds" to become absolutely dominant and unkillable, and you also have to take care that all classes have about the same skill ceiling and efficiency. Otherwise all good player who want to maximize their performance would change to that one particular class.

You are probably right that most infantry players play less intelligently (?) than they should. But you can't just accept it, shrug and see how only cavalry and archers decide the outcome of a battle and the infantry being downgraded to the "lemming grunts" and "cannonfodder".

That's why I think that the argument "if the class would use more teamplay they wouldn't have that problem" is not valid. And thus there needs to be done something about. In my eyes nerfing/buffing the effectivity of a certain class does not work well, because it also affect the skill ceiling. I rather prefer solutions that change the behaviour of players. For example some kind of command system with rewards, that would make infantry stick together more, allowing them to deal better with archers and cavalry.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #474 on: January 23, 2012, 02:59:50 am »
I just want to state that in my eyes balance needs to take both into consideration: the average player, who uses his possibilities in by his average level. If the average player of a certain class uses less teamwork than the players of other classes, you have to balance accordingly, or the gameplay on the servers will suffer from it.

But you also have to take into consideration the maximum possible performance of other players. You must not allow some "nerds" to become absolutely dominant and unkillable, and you also have to take care that all classes have about the same skill ceiling and efficiency. Otherwise all good player who want to maximize their performance would change to that one particular class.

You are probably right that most infantry players play less intelligently (?) than they should. But you can't just accept it, shrug and see how only cavalry and archers decide the outcome of a battle and the infantry being downgraded to the "lemming grunts" and "cannonfodder".

That's why I think that the argument "if the class would use more teamplay they wouldn't have that problem" is not valid. And thus there needs to be done something about. In my eyes nerfing/buffing the effectivity of a certain class does not work well, because it also affect the skill ceiling. I rather prefer solutions that change the behaviour of players. For example some kind of command system with rewards, that would make infantry stick together more, allowing them to deal better with archers and cavalry.

Now this I can get behind. I disagree with a few things like the teamplay aspect and changing the game because some players are not smart/organized/etc enough to work together. Good post though, makes your position more understandable. Even if you do still hate ranged  :(.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #475 on: January 23, 2012, 03:29:01 am »
I suggest you try that as a shielder, because it is completely unrealistic. Both having to run towards a kiting archer and following what he does to make sure not to be shot on the sides of the shield, while simultaneously watching your back to make sure you are covering your teammate, that's not easy. Furthemore, since our archers are faster than the shielders, especially when the shielder is forced to block, nothing prevents any of the archers to sidestep slightly and fire into the other shielder. Even more problematic : how are the shielders supposed to reach that line between the archers in the first place ? The archers can both kite backwards and make this impossible. On average, the shielders are doomed.

Teamwork is a lot more intuitive among archers than melees, because the game engine is like that. Arrows don't travel sideways, and there is no risk for your archer teammates, no matter how skilled you are. The triangle thing is also very natural for everyone, melee do that all the time when outnumbering, trying to get in the back of the enemy. Hell, even me as a totally noobish archer I do that when I team up with other ranged. Thing is, it is a lot harder to do when you are up close and have to block and time everything you do correctly to avoid hitting teammates. Archers don't have to worry about their teammates at all because the risk of shooting them is usually negligible, except when firing into melee. That's not outplaying, that's relying on your speed and range advantages to get an easy victory.

Most decent archers pull off horse/rider headshots to those that try to kill them with ease. I guess they have a secret. Or is it just awareness ?

Running away doesn't solve anything. The archer just follows you at a safe distance until you die. I guess sometimes it works because an ally ninja'ed the archer. But then to be fair there should be two archers. And this starts to look like what I've explained in my first paragraph. As a shielder, it is arguably my role to chase archers. However, I can't force him to stop and fight me since he's faster. I'm merely locking both of us in a less defendable stance, but I can't do anything else. Furthermore, this little jogging will more than likely end up in the enemy team for me, with the archer unscathed.

It's difficult but it's doable. We've done similar things with our hoplite builds, but on TS admittedly. Especially with a decent shield. If you want good protection, pay more and get more shield skill. Aka it's pretty bloody easy with a huscarl for 2 shielders to just stand there and soak up ALL of those archers arrows and not take a single hit. Then pretty much game over for the archers. The only reason the shielders would be doomed are either:
1. Their shields suck and break from arrows.
2. They stop covering eachother.
3. The archers are far better players.

Usually when this situation happens the archers aren't all that close. So sidestepping doesn't happen so frequently. All the shielders have to do is hold their shields high and their feet will be protected by forcefield and their team mates back/head are protected. Yeah it's a pain having to stand there waiting. And trying to move will probably be pretty useless. But eventually the archers will have to stop, other team mates will come to help ect ect. Even if it's the end of the round the shielders can win the waiting game.

I'll agree that for completely random pubbys, the instinct to work together for ranged is more prevalent than for melee for some of the reasons you described as well as others. But then that's where inf need to display some awareness and ability to learn. It's all very well saying archers now have to adapt for headshots because damage is nerfed. But that's not going to stop the shielder situation from happening as described if the shielders don't work together. Inf needs to be a little more aware to.

It's the same reason cav has such an easy time. Because the usual anti-cav/general inf with pointy sticks just don't pay attention. For some reason even though your carrying a big arse pike, or some other pointy stick, it doesn't seem to scream to players 'look out for horses and help your team!!!'. Instead it screams 'poke that guy from a distance that my team mate is attacking in the hope i'll get a kill and end up poking my teammate instead'. With a little more awareness from certain classes inf could cut the losses from cav/archers 10 fold. But that's never going to happen  :rolleyes:

Most of the time the archer won't bother following. Seeing as we have so many village maps and stuff it's easy to disengage an archer and get away. It would only be an issue on the really open maps. Even if you attempt to chase one down and then give up, they'll often still keep running just to find a new position and they won't even bother with you, seeing as the shield protects you. But the fact you kept that archer from doing anything for a significant time helps the team.

I still think cav is perfectly well equipped for it unless there's a horde of archers. Yes there are some archers who can shoot you off your horse or get a perfect headshot on the nose. But they are rare. Most chicken out, miss horribly and panic as soon as they see a horse coming their way. Even if they do get a shot on the horse, the likelihood of it hitting the buggy head hitbox out of random chance (due to panic shot) is minimal and it's far more likely to hit the body, in which case with the damage nerfs it's hardly a scratch. Whilst infantry does have a harder time against archers, the fact that they are now all forced to the ground allows for them to be caught out quite easily. Even if they start running, it's easy for a team to force them onto more of your team, or out into the open for cav to kill.

So for you "locking" someone is effectively countering it ? Then I wonder why archers aren't just repelling 2h instead of killing them. Actually, the 1v1 hypothesis helps you, since if there were two archers and two shielders, it would be worse, and so on.

Totally wonderful, except this isn't a "charge". Anybody can kill unaware players of any class, what you said doesn't prove anything. Decent archers either follow their melee teammates or have good awareness. Sneaking on people isn't a valid tactic, simply because you can't do that on a large scale, and you are completely dependant of your luck since if somebody spots you you'll soon have the whole team attacking you. Imagine a whole team of archers against a whole team of ninjas. That isn't going to work. No matter how you approach the issue, other classes on average deal with archers by outnumbering them.

I think the point is that archers aren't so much of a counter that armour, skill ect doesn't come into play. As it should be. On paper, a good archer should own a good 2h any day. But things rarely work on paper. So there could be plenty of situations with a whole number of variables where the 2h comes out on top instead of the archer pumping him full of arrows. Most 2h are probably willing to take that chance, but seeing as lots of them will die (as they should) they start whining about it. I can understand previous frustration of ranged due to the roofcamping and not being able to reach them. But now there's not really an excuse for any melee whine.

You do realise (this goes for everyone) all of what each of you and me are describing is entirely situational. It's all very well writing paragraphs and paragraphs describing this situation and that. But there are any 1000000000's combination of what could happen in any given situation due to maps, builds, skill levels ect ect and after writing all that I have decided it was a little pointless.

So I guess I'll just finish now by saying I still think the nerf was to harsh. If it stays the same, accuracy should increase by a bit. And now, unless it's for lobbying for HA to be fixed, I'm done with the ranged thing.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 03:36:45 am by Overdriven »

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #476 on: January 23, 2012, 05:53:14 am »
Horse Crossbow sucks. Shot a nude guy with both of us riding towards each other. He survived.(MW Light xbow+ MW Steel bolts). That same nude guy was a horse thrower who used lances. He hit my champ destrier and it didn't even do a 1/4 damage.(low speed but it sill should do more that like 15% or so)

Also, with this nerf, my HC causes me to get griefed incessantly since people just don't die.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #477 on: January 23, 2012, 07:48:35 am »
Ruins the fun. Why would you want to ride a trot just to score a couple of kills? Also completely negates the point of the HA skill. Even if a horse is a big target, if your playing against smart cav, you need the accuracy to be able to score decent hits.

I'm not even suggesting that HA needs to be a heavy hitter. But they were in a good place before the nerf and could hold their own. Particularly if you were on your A game. Now they are very underpowered. At least the traditional build is.

Plus in an HA vs HA fight 24(27)/12 builds would just be funny.

For the HA maybe... If you're a lamer who wants your class to be totally immune to 2/3 of the playerbase  :rolleyes:

Going dragoon style to me at least seems more reasonable. You still have the HUGE advantage over foot archers of being able to run away from all infantry without effort, but the style at least requires you to have some basic situational awareness. And from my point of view regular HA's were kind of fine balance-wise before the "nerf" (because, as said if you go dragoon style with a more agi-orientated build, you can get closer to your target than any footarcher and score headshots) but 1. they were too annoying and 2. loomed ha's were not fine (I got 3/4-shotted by fricking HA's on several occations, not balanced).

On paper, a good archer should own a good 2h any day.

Nononononono. NO.

Why do people think that warband should be some R>P>S bullshit?

"Looks like you picked the wrong class, sorry but you're completely fucked now"

NO!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 07:52:52 am by Dezilagel »

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #478 on: January 23, 2012, 08:10:31 am »
Like it or not, a "good" AGI archer will own any "good" 2Her now due to headshots making your head go supernova due to the HS bonus, helmet armour or HP be damned.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #479 on: January 23, 2012, 08:14:33 am »
Like it or not, a "good" AGI archer will own any "good" 2Her now due to headshots making your head go supernova due to the HS bonus, helmet armour or HP be damned.

I'd rather have that than these random prepatch "strolling around... bam! 80% from a random str-archer".

Also, it makes the choice of helmet more of a style-thing which is great :p

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die