Author Topic: NERF 2h/polearm, esp. reduce 2h and polearms speed  (Read 9020 times)

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
Re: NERF 2h/polearm, esp. reduce 2h and polearms speed
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2011, 12:53:06 am »
  with quake 3 speed

You obviously never played Q3.  And if you think this is fast, you wouldn't have been able to hang with us old school FPS'ers anyways. 
Air-juggle kills pwn M&B ranged my old friends with our slow ass movement speed
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2011, 01:07:49 am »
You obviously never played Q3.  And if you think this is fast, you wouldn't have been able to hang with us old school FPS'ers anyways. 

And this is why I have no respect for the majority of the newer generation of FPS players. This is a slowed-down video of Q3 and it is still faster then almost everything in the market now. Most FPSes are easy mode compared to this, and I will always crack up when young players talk about the next "twitch" game.

This is real ability to lead a target and bounce on demand. Sure, Q3 may have been imbalanced, but it sharpened reflexes like nothing else. And to think some players still complain about the projectiles moving too fast in this game...
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2011, 03:53:35 am »
Try GTAIV for mega dissapointment 'shooter' wise. Made me long for UT.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2011, 04:39:54 am »
Console game shooters have pussified "twitch" games with all the aiming help, removal of prone/leaning, I.e. halo, etc and now most pc shooters are ported to pc with most effort being put into consoles (16 man call of duty. Mw2 server=fail) 

("Magnet" projectiles that bend toward target, etc)

My friend bought me a ps3 and shooters are so boring on a gamepad compared to mouse and keyboard, but I was playing on compys in the eighties so I am a dinosaur compared to the average kid who plays games nowadays
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 04:42:19 am by DrKronic »
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2011, 05:50:39 am »
Agreed with all 3 of you above me.

I still hit up Quake Live quite a bit to get my fix.  But like you guys have made mention to as well, I'm a dinosaur in gamer years (30) as I grew up with all this shit.  I still have longing memories of playing Dukem on T.E.N. for close to two years hardcore (meaning 5-10+ hours a day, sometimes 24+ hours with no sleep at home on dial up and at lans on the weekend) in my youth.

New FPS gamers have no fucking clue about intense twitch gaming.

Speaking of Quake Live.  If any of you old-timers play it as well like I do, hit me up.  I go by Vap0rWare or SnakeEyz (first gaming handle I ever had).  We can set up some matches for lulz.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G45tMacGSDg&feature=related
Map knowledge, aim, movement control, timing, strategy.  All performed in micro second adjustments.  New games still don't compare to the classics.

Speaking of nostalgia:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kT_WGrL3Fs
Same handle (SnakeEyz).  Hit me up.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 08:36:05 am by Gorath »

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2011, 12:43:18 pm »
I used to play Q3 Arena with the instagib mod on CTF mode. Settings in such a way you could use the railgun to jump, making it possible to get from your flag to the enemy flag and back in under 20 seconds.
There was no recharge on the railgun.

That was fast pased action :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2011, 01:09:37 pm »
I actually played quite some Q3A, was quite good with rocket launcher (hitting people in air with rocket is skillZ).

But then I found about Q3 trickjumping... man now that's some hard shit to master :)

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2011, 05:27:53 pm »
Strafejumping was an awesome feature in Q3 and JKO/JKA. When being skilled in it, it made oneself several times faster and being able to jump alot further than the other players. Loved it.

Offline Babelfish

• Knight
  • Renown: 62
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2011, 05:43:13 pm »

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2011, 07:14:11 am »
God, I miss all those old games. When the original Quake first came out, it totally blew my mind. It happened again with the original Unreal. I miss the days where a game could actually amaze you. Now it's just the same old shit.

Offline Bonze

• Knight
  • Renown: 47
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Anti-Fagcher-Liberation-Front (AFLF)
  • Game nicks: King of FF bump
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2011, 08:54:00 pm »

Buy a  courser or sarranid  horse - heirloom your horse to champion  - invest 6-10 in riding - join  a random server -  press R - play more then 20 min with your horse in  first-person view

Are you through with it?
Look at this picture for the next 2 hours.

thanks

Got no Balls? Play archer. Got no sex? Play horse archer.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2011, 03:32:18 am »
Buy a  courser or sarranid  horse - heirloom your horse to champion  - invest 6-10 in riding - join  a random server -  press R - play more then 20 min with your horse in  first-person view

Are you through with it?

thanks

Going to have to disagree with you here. Regardless of how fast you can get a horse to move in this game, you are still only worrying about the x and y axis. Now, if you were jumping 40 feet in the air with that horse and stabbing people mid-air who were moving just as fast but moving in an entirely different direction I might agree with you. As it stands though, you are wrong.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 03:45:48 am by rustyspoon »

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2011, 07:23:17 am »
It took some guts to go against all those 2h/polearms, it is like a sign which says "hate me". Respect for that Michal.
Since i started playing half a year ago i managed to become a averadge to perhaps even a good player with my 1h/shielder. I still stand in disbelief before all those fantastic players with their great abilities in manual blocking without a shield. I try it myself time over time but just cant get the hang of it ... yet.
After generation 8, i had a masterwork huscarl and went all out agi.
I did so because of 2h/polearm spammers, that was my reason behind it, to create a build which can handle those.
Nowadays i try less agi and slowly find a balance which will be best for my playstyle. I guess i will allways have more agi then str, to compensate agi or less skill, put it as you want. I have seen you Michal with your shielder and you did mostly pretty good.

Spawny :
"The only true issue I have with 1h/shield is the speed of the shield. You can get it up quite fast, but it's so slow to drop when you attack.
I can fight people who are just waiting for me to start an attack. Then, as soon as they see the animation start (my character slowly dropping his shield before raising his arm to strike), they swing and hit me first."

true

RandomDude
"You dont have to follow his backpedal. 1hs can move backwards and forwards too until the 2h/PA makes a mistake and gets too close."
till the shield breaks, or he just jumps out of range if the 1h/shield attacks and spams at that moment, works often, if the the 2h/polearm guy is at least with same ath, the 1h/shielder has a difficult time trying to hug, additional weigth from the shield or getting shield stuned slows them down.

ptx:
"Contrary to popular belief, 1h in c-rpg is not really easy-mode (unless you got really pimped out gear and stats :D).
It requires a very different skillset from the other classes - you don't need skill to defend yourself, but it takes way better timing to return attacks, whilst you also need to aim these attacks much more precisely. Footwork is extremely important."

true

So why are mostly 2h/polearm players at the top of the board? skill or perhaps imbalance or a combination of both? If imbalance, is it because of the thinking it takes more skill to block with them so it must be easier to kill with them?
I repeat i have a great deal of respect of those who have mastered blocking but how much benefits should they get in opposite to the 1h/shielders who cant block in the same way, but will loose their shield and ability block at some point and who have an additional animation that takes time and additional weight to burden them?
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2011, 10:05:41 am »

Are you through with it?

thanks

Still doesn't even come CLOSE to the SPEED of old school quake games, nor requiring nearly the same timing and precision to pull off air juggles against a strafe jumping opponent (while weapon swapping for rocket to rail combos).  Sorry, stare at your own picture.  M&B speed doesn't compare to real FPS games (not the shit that the x-box generation of halo-tards play).

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2011, 12:26:18 pm »
So why are mostly 2h/polearm players at the top of the board? skill or perhaps imbalance or a combination of both? If imbalance, is it because of the thinking it takes more skill to block with them so it must be easier to kill with them?
I repeat i have a great deal of respect of those who have mastered blocking but how much benefits should they get in opposite to the 1h/shielders who cant block in the same way, but will loose their shield and ability block at some point and who have an additional animation that takes time and additional weight to burden them?
What i meant with my post is that 1h/shield requires a different approach than 2h/polearms. If you try to play in the same way you would with a 2h or a polearm, you will either fail or only have an average performance.
1h/shield play a different role on a battlefield, if they exploit it, they win.