Poll

Do we need immediate changes regarding the amount of ranged and cavalry in cRPG ?

Yes
76 (21.2%)
No
86 (24%)
Yes,but only for ranged
67 (18.7%)
Yes, but only for cavalry
20 (5.6%)
No, just remove the roofcamping
109 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 357

Voting closed: January 30, 2012, 01:23:06 am

Author Topic: The state of cRPG  (Read 24349 times)

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 153
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Lizard_man, Jinmenju
Re: The state of cRPG
« Reply #240 on: January 12, 2012, 03:43:16 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #241 on: January 12, 2012, 03:49:54 pm »
Solution: Don't fight around the archer camping spot, or fight directly below it along the walls.

A rooftop camping spot is only as valuable as its proximity to the battle below.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Idzo

• Earl
  • Renown: 494
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Deserter_IdZo
  • IRC nick: IdZo Steam Nick: Deja3n9
« Reply #242 on: January 12, 2012, 04:01:15 pm »
+1

I got better one Lizard :P  13! just one team :)
Solution: Don't fight around the archer camping spot, or fight directly below it along the walls.

A rooftop camping spot is only as valuable as its proximity to the battle below.

No shit Sherlock!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 04:07:12 pm by Idzo »
Urist: Being crpg mod makes you go insane at some point. look at meow, he thinks he's a fcking cat

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #243 on: January 12, 2012, 04:34:27 pm »

So archers are allowed to simply "lock down" a certain area of the battlefield while still being able to participate in the fighting, and there is nothing you can do about than walking away, and that's okay?
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 12, 2012, 04:36:39 pm »

Lol, so melee belong along the walls and archers can reign gay over the rest of the map? That makes perfect sense.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #245 on: January 12, 2012, 04:39:00 pm »

Maybe if cRPG servers were entirely composed of clans organizing with each other, something like this might be doable. Even on random plains maps when both teams camp huge hills and the majority of each side actually sticks around, it ends in draws because there's always some guy killing or dying somewhere on the map, which means motf never does pop up. But of course it's completely disengenuous because you know very well no pug is going to be organized enough to just avoid the huge area of coverage provided by camping a rooftop like a bundle of sticks. You just want to keep playing siege archer in battle.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 12, 2012, 04:47:29 pm »
Lol, so melee belong along the walls and archers can reign gay over the rest of the map? That makes perfect sense.

Walls? Naw mang, archers can stand on those. Infantry belongs on the edges of the map where they can say hello to their good friend mr. Cavalry.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 12, 2012, 04:50:26 pm »
The ladders are going to be removed, stop convincing people that ladders are gay, the devs already are convinced so it doesn't matter anymore.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #248 on: January 12, 2012, 04:52:25 pm »
+1
Well I've been convinced by the arguments to remove ladders and retract my previous statement about nerfing ranged.  It's not really a nerf to range, it's just a gameplay change to keep things moving along in the battle server.

Ranged still have their strengths and weaknesses, same as before, they just have to be more "combat snipers" than the lone sniper all by himself 1000's of yards from the battle.

Also, I'm all about making people use terrain and teamwork over crutching along buildings (or on them).  That's always been my attitude, and I was always personally for removing ladders, I just don't like the direction of always nerfing something when a balance issue gets brought up, but I don't feel that way about the ladder removal (that it's a nerf).
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 12, 2012, 04:53:45 pm »
What about static ladders :3

We can cry about those.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 12, 2012, 04:57:26 pm »
Meh I actually think the whole head/body shot nerf is going to even further imbalance internal archery weapon balance. As many others have pointed out if implemented as indicated it's going to make the top tier bows even less attractive. And since headshots almost consistantly 1 hit kill as it is, it's a big nerf to body dmg done by ranged with not much to show for it.

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #251 on: January 12, 2012, 04:57:48 pm »

Also, I'm all about making people use terrain and teamwork over crutching along buildings (or on them).  That's always been my attitude, and I was always personally for removing ladders, I just don't like the direction of always nerfing something when a balance issue gets brought up, but I don't feel that way about the ladder removal (that it's a nerf).

Removing ladders is not a real nerf, because it only effects some people of a certain class, not the whole class :)

I'm very glad with the ladderremoval. Real archery takes place among the infantry, not above it^^

Meh I actually think the whole head/body shot nerf is going to even further imbalance internal archery weapon balance. As many others have pointed out if implemented as indicated it's going to make the top tier bows even less attractive. And since headshots almost consistantly 1 hit kill as it is, it's a big nerf to body dmg done by ranged with not much to show for it.

Pewpew I have a machinegun hornbow pewpew incoming^^

I will stick to my longbow :O

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #252 on: January 12, 2012, 05:15:59 pm »
+1
So archers are allowed to simply "lock down" a certain area of the battlefield while still being able to participate in the fighting, and there is nothing you can do about than walking away, and that's okay?
Maybe if cRPG servers were entirely composed of clans organizing with each other, something like this might be doable. Even on random plains maps when both teams camp huge hills and the majority of each side actually sticks around, it ends in draws because there's always some guy killing or dying somewhere on the map, which means motf never does pop up. But of course it's completely disengenuous because you know very well no pug is going to be organized enough to just avoid the huge area of coverage provided by camping a rooftop like a bundle of sticks. You just want to keep playing siege archer in battle.

"Roof archers" have a nasty habit of hopping onto the first roof that becomes available to them and camping out.  However they don't tend to move very often, and I can recall plenty of rounds where the team with the roof archers loses in melee because they are split up, and then the camping archers have to contend with the majority of the remaining team and end up losing/being forced from their perch.

Also it's not like camping archer groups only happen in clan battles.  It isn't to hard to say "DON'T CHARGE THEIR ARCHER NEST" and have most of the team with a brain comply to some extent.

But uh, yes, if archers are in large clusters and have reign over a specific area of the map, I simply go the other way.  Fallen archer swarm on that mountain to the right?  I go left and worry about them later after their numbers have been cut down by our team's ranged. If you're melee and you don't heed your surroundings yet complain about camping archers in an obviously advantageous position to yours you're doing it wrong.

Also for the record I've been melee for the last gen and a half, and rarely roof camped when I was an archer.  Believe it or not there are people on these boards who don't cry for nerfs/buffs based solely on their current playstyle.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 12, 2012, 05:20:38 pm »
+2
It isn't to hard to say "DON'T CHARGE THEIR ARCHER NEST" and have most of the team with a brain comply to some extent.

And there's the flaw in your reasoning. Tell me, have you ever even tried to command a team composed of random clanless guys, or is this some hypothetical bullshit?

Also, LOL at telling inf that they should heed their surroundings, and that it's their own fault for getting killed by camping archers. They only have to deal with cav, and ranged, and roof campers, and of course other inf. The lazy fuckers. I'm guessing ranged failing so badly at battlefield awareness that they have to go on a roof and be immune to everyone that isn't ranged are the fucking cream of the crop when it comes to heeding their surroundings right?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 05:25:56 pm by Oberyn »

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #254 on: January 12, 2012, 05:21:36 pm »
I always felt the same way shine.  Those roof camping archers aren't usually helping their team, and the smart players avoid that area (and avoid being kited there).  focus on the rest of the enemies, and worry about the roof campers after you cleaned up the rest of the team.

I still don't think it's a bad idea to remove ladders from the public servers, it will help speed up game play, and force the archers to actually be useful to their team.
 - Stolen from Macropussy