Poll

Do we need immediate changes regarding the amount of ranged and cavalry in cRPG ?

Yes
76 (21.2%)
No
86 (24%)
Yes,but only for ranged
67 (18.7%)
Yes, but only for cavalry
20 (5.6%)
No, just remove the roofcamping
109 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 357

Voting closed: January 30, 2012, 01:23:06 am

Author Topic: The state of cRPG  (Read 24389 times)

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
Re: The state of cRPG
« Reply #255 on: January 12, 2012, 05:22:42 pm »
And there's the flaw in your reasoning. Tell me, have you ever even tried to command a team composed of random clanless guys, or is this some hypothetical bullshit?

It can work, but that is being discussed in another thread^^

Offline Lorenzo_of_Iberia

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Peloponnesian League
  • Game nicks: Lorenzo_of_Numidia , PL_Hoplitai_Lorenzo
« Reply #256 on: January 12, 2012, 05:26:52 pm »
It can work, but that is being discussed in another thread^^

Said thread has concluded that teamwork on public servers is currently a very rare sight and improbable until teamwork promoting changes are brought to cRPG :P
Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #257 on: January 12, 2012, 05:29:28 pm »
Said thread has concluded that teamwork on public servers is currently a very rare sight and improbable until teamwork promoting changes are brought to cRPG :P

That's some people's opinion, not that of everyone ;)

Read the whole thread if you want, some people said how and that it works.

Offline Lorenzo_of_Iberia

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Peloponnesian League
  • Game nicks: Lorenzo_of_Numidia , PL_Hoplitai_Lorenzo
« Reply #258 on: January 12, 2012, 05:32:27 pm »
That's some people's opinion, not that of everyone ;)

Read the whole thread if you want, some people said how and that it works.

I think they are in the minority :) but yes it is contested (like every opinion)
Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 12, 2012, 05:54:29 pm »
I think they are in the minority :) but yes it is contested (like every opinion)

True dat^^

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #260 on: January 12, 2012, 06:02:07 pm »
First of all: if I am 20 meters beeline or less near an archer, I want to be able to charge him and take him out. Because he is an easy target for me (rule Nr. 1, always go for the easy targets first, unless they are peasants), and they can deal a lot of damage (rule Nr. 2, engage the dangerous opponents first.).

It's the same reason why only retards attack the def tank in MMORPG-PVP (infantry, with or without shield, but well armoured), instead of attacking the vulnerable damage dealers (or healers, who have no counterpart in cRPG). Time is an important factor. You need a longer time to bring down a good infantryman than a good archer, and during the time I need to kill the infantryman the archer can attack my team or me CONSTANTLY. If I attack the archer first these constant attacks are stopped, and the enemy infantryman needs to walk up to someone to be able to attack.

So much to "simply attack other targets.", it is the much less intelligent option to do, and yet you were forced to do so by roofcamping.

And just to add to the "roofcampers are ineffective, anyway"-argument: bullshit!

I don't know how offten I witnessed in spectator mode how a group of Byzantines sticked together and hacked their way through the enemy team. After the first big melee was over, there were usually like 20 of the Byzantine's team and perhaps 13 enemies left. Which is a good starting condition for a Biyzantine victory. But the few remaining enemy infantrymen usually were to be found under the enemy camper roof, probably BECAUSE they were there and received covering fire from their teammates. Often enough I saw how three or four random roofcampers and two or three enemy infantrymen on the ground were enough to kill a Byzantine group of equal or even bigger size, who were teamplaying as good as possible. Simply because those roofcampers were still immortal at that moment and could concentrate on shooting the enemy.

If you are about to lose a round, gather under the roof where your campers are, and you have good chances to turn the tables.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Shpritza

• Count
  • Renown: 279
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • STEAM
  • Game nicks: Shpritza
« Reply #261 on: January 12, 2012, 06:44:52 pm »
...i never heard of archercs who are walking on a roof made of hay.. They can keep camping but in that case I want torch so I can burn them all in one move

hahahaha  EPIC   :mrgreen:
trust no one, question everything

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #262 on: January 12, 2012, 07:03:42 pm »
And there's the flaw in your reasoning. Tell me, have you ever even tried to command a team composed of random clanless guys, or is this some hypothetical bullshit?
I'm not talking about being a team commander (which I agree never works) but more giving a general directive (like "go left/go right/camp hill").  Sure you won't get a bunch of people to listen to you, but the idiots will find a way to kill themselves off and let's be honest rounds are usually decided by the 10 or 15 players on each team that actually get the kills.

I don't think we should balance cRPG around stupidity.  If people are charging the archer nest blindly they shouldn't be given much of a say for nerfing archery.  In my opinion anyways.

Also, LOL at telling inf that they should heed their surroundings, and that it's their own fault for getting killed by camping archers. They only have to deal with cav, and ranged, and roof campers, and of course other inf. The lazy fuckers. I'm guessing ranged failing so badly at battlefield awareness that they have to go on a roof and be immune to everyone that isn't ranged are the fucking cream of the crop when it comes to heeding their surroundings right?

Well, paying attention to snipers hiding and backstabbing cavalry is one thing; not noticing the huge archer rooftop or mountainside is something else  :P
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #263 on: January 12, 2012, 07:25:07 pm »
hahahaha  EPIC   :mrgreen:

I actually said that a lot to friends and people in vent/teamspeak.  Leave ladders, but let us bring torches and burn down the buildings :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline JackieChan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 118
  • Crève salope / Master of left spam
    • View Profile
    • CRPG PATCH!
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_BD_JackieChan
  • IRC nick: JackieChan
« Reply #264 on: January 12, 2012, 07:45:37 pm »
Update on Crpg state of affairs, nothing changed, as usual

http://imgur.com/a/UEGL6
 Wهاهاهاهاهاهاهاهاهاه

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 12, 2012, 08:20:51 pm »
Patch is not our yet, means ladders are still in ;)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 12, 2012, 08:28:55 pm »
Thought they could just release a patch for every minor change with the launcher, hope they do it quick.

Offline Diablo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 12, 2012, 08:49:46 pm »
I preferred the old system gain gold and experience.
(the system that worked by the proximity of the fighting).

it organized and promoted fights as a team!

Instead ... for months we earn our gold and our experience as the ticking of a watch
We have archers stuck on roofs and flee the fighting in any danger all around the map.

It was the old system that encouraged players to win victories.
There was no leecher, no camp without strategic value, no exploits, no delayers, ...

In short, that was the most successful CRPG!
That was a great M&B Modification
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 08:53:19 pm by Diablo »

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 12, 2012, 08:51:57 pm »
I preferred the old system gain gold and experience.
(the system that worked by the proximity of the fighting).

it organized and promoted fights as a team!

Instead ... for months we earn our gold and our experience as the ticking of a watch
We have archers stuck on roofs and flee the fighting in any danger all around the map.

It was the old system that encouraged players to win victories.
There was no leecher, no camp without strategic value, not exploits, ...

In short, that was the most successful CRPG!

This thread is actually not about how gold and xp gain worked ages ago.
Btw, as an archer or on a horse you always got less xp/gold than people fighting in melee.
And those who died early due to a random arrow or spawnkill by cav received almost nothing....great system :rolleyes:

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #269 on: January 12, 2012, 08:53:18 pm »
+1
I unfortunately never got to play on the old system.  I think having upkeep is generally a good thing (and not too expensive).  But I like the idea of how XP and Gold was generated in the old system.  Under the current system, people are rewarded for camping until the end of the round and not joining their team because to get valor basically requires you to be one of the last ones to die.  So they still get the same amount of XP and gold as everyone else on the team (who is contributing to the team effort) yet no risk of dying and not getting valor. 
This thread is actually not about how gold and xp gain worked ages ago.
Btw, as an archer or on a horse you always got less xp/gold than people fighting in melee.
And those who died early due to a random arrow or spawnkill by cav received almost nothing....great system :rolleyes:

His point is not only relevant to the topic, but it addresses a possible solution instead of removing ladders.  Under the old system you wouldn't be gaining xp or gold if you were camping on a roof instead of in the thick of combat trying to help your teammates.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 08:55:13 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy