Poll

Do we need immediate changes regarding the amount of ranged and cavalry in cRPG ?

Yes
76 (21.2%)
No
86 (24%)
Yes,but only for ranged
67 (18.7%)
Yes, but only for cavalry
20 (5.6%)
No, just remove the roofcamping
109 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 357

Voting closed: January 30, 2012, 01:23:06 am

Author Topic: The state of cRPG  (Read 24386 times)

Offline Shpritza

• Count
  • Renown: 279
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • STEAM
  • Game nicks: Shpritza
Re: The state of cRPG
« Reply #225 on: January 12, 2012, 10:31:27 am »
I'll sum it up in a few words...

ROOF CAMPING FUCKING SUCK!!

Cheers.
trust no one, question everything

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #226 on: January 12, 2012, 12:19:40 pm »
ChoclatePudding with cream topping is THE symbol for white ppl. supressing majorities of other colored ppl. -.......-

I stopped eating chocolate pudding after i realized that....

Really? I remembers me of those "facial on black woman"-videos. But it made me stop eating chocolate pudding, too...  :?
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #227 on: January 12, 2012, 02:03:48 pm »
+1
(click to show/hide)

Yes, Bjord, unfortunately I must say you are correct.
So I'll try and argue a bit better for my case...

First of is statistics. These can't stand alone, but they do hint at some interestesting facts, Fasader cared to share them earlier on:
a) Less than 30% of the kills of EU1 is made from ranged.
b) This means either that it is a support class or that it is underpowered compared to 2h and polearm who has far more kills.

Second off is my own experience as an archer (1st time archer that is, I have 10 gens of both 2h, shielder, cav what not):
I make more kills with my mace than with my bow.

Then there are my observations that most often the top scores of EU 1 is either cav or a skilled 2h/polearm.

Which leads me to conclude that:

- Veterans like to duel. They want the battle server to be a large duel server. This is not my way of having fun. Warband is a medieval combat simulator or as close can be while still having fun. This include friendly archers and pesky cav.
- Veterans like to pawn noobs who don't have 5 years of duelling experience, forcing them to ranged classes to have an effect causing veterans to rage cause a noob killed them with no skill omfg l2p.

However:

Just because I ahve fun meleeing in a ranged heavy environment does not mean others should be forced to have fun in such a way. This alone should make it necessary to find a way to incentive players to have a melee character. I can completely agree that it would be best if no more than 15-20% of a team would be ranged or cav or heavy armed, hence that is the restrictions I use for my tournaments. But if you nerf archers you only nerf the players, not the reason for why these class have been chosen.

- The suggested change for ranged that causes +headshot - bodyshots, will have a wrong effect. It will cause more light random spam with fast ranged, causing more rage because the 2h veterans get hit more often, annoying them to no end, where the better focused archers will play a melee class because they already make more kills in melee any way.
- Nerfing archer any more is in no way "fair". It's sort of like saying: "because it is easy to play, you should of no use".
- Where is the rage at 10 plated horsemen owning a server for 10 rounds?

In truth the fix isntead should be a buffing infantry formation fighting. This would also help strat, cause less mains to be archers.
( and the reason archers are powerful in strat is their cost to kill ratio combined with the need not to commit hence lose tickets and equipment, and cannot be compared to the situation on the battle server such as EU1).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 02:05:26 pm by Tristan »
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 12, 2012, 02:05:58 pm »
First of is statistics. These can't stand alone, but they do hint at some interestesting facts, Fasader cared to share them earlier on

Manipulated stats, obviously.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #229 on: January 12, 2012, 02:08:26 pm »
+2
Yes, Bjord, unfortunately I must say you are correct.
So I'll try and argue a bit better for my case...
(click to show/hide)

Pretty simple really, massed infantry is nowhere near as effective in cRPG as it it was historiclly. Defeates the whole paragrim of combat based in the period.
Turtles

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #230 on: January 12, 2012, 02:12:06 pm »
"because it is easy to play, you should of no use".

What is wrong with that philosophy?

And you forget about the fact that not only the kills count. The amount of wounds inflicted, or the simple fact that the presence of a few archers limits movement through several passages for infantry and cavalry.

People don't only complain about the amount of arrows that hits them, but also about the percentage of awareness they need to sacrifice to missiles.

Edit: but before you feel attacked: I agree archers shouldn't be nerfed in their effectivity any further. I would prefer lowering their general attractivity without making them worse. Which is difficult.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 02:16:00 pm by Joker86 »
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #231 on: January 12, 2012, 02:12:52 pm »
+1
Manipulated stats, obviously.

For once in a lifetime i agree with this thing called Xant. Fasader's "stats" are only good for teaching kindergarten kids some basics of math (if you want those kids to grow up into thieves/politicians).
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #232 on: January 12, 2012, 02:16:54 pm »
For once in a lifetime i agree with this thing called Xant. Fasader's "stats" are only good for teaching kindergarten kids some basics of math (if you want those kids to grow up into thieves/politicians).

Can you backup that claim other than a claim?
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 12, 2012, 02:23:06 pm »
That's Fasaderp, you can't honestly expect otherwise (HE USES A CROSSBOW!)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 12, 2012, 02:25:33 pm »
That's Fasaderp, you can't honestly expect otherwise (HE USES A CROSSBOW!)

. Too bad crossbows still have insane accuracy and no flaws: Dont tell me "oh you must upkeep them they so expensive" Upkeep is a joke, I wear whatever I want all the time and so does everyone I know.

Coincidence? I THINK NOT
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Idzo

• Earl
  • Renown: 494
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Deserter_IdZo
  • IRC nick: IdZo Steam Nick: Deja3n9
« Reply #235 on: January 12, 2012, 02:38:45 pm »

Warband is a medieval combat simulator or as close can be while still having fun. This include friendly archers and pesky cav.

Where is the rage at 10 plated horsemen owning a server for 10 rounds?

1. Bullsh*t, 7 times out of 10 i'm killed by archer...

2. Yeah, it is but i never heard of archercs who are walking on a roof made of hay.. They can keep camping but in that case I want torch so I can burn them all in one move

3. You would have more chances against 10 plated horseman then against 10 archers.. Don't know bout you, but I enjoy dueling cav with my 2h sword..
That's the acctualy only fun I found in this game atm... so I hope that something will change soon...
I dont have anything against cav you can always bring them down..
I played cav myself and it's not easy as you say it is... it takes practice to become good..
Urist: Being crpg mod makes you go insane at some point. look at meow, he thinks he's a fcking cat

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #236 on: January 12, 2012, 03:13:25 pm »
+1
Can you backup that claim other than a claim?

Yes i can. I've been "backing up" that "claim" for more then a year now.  :wink:
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline CaptainQuantum

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The 22nd Battalion
  • Game nicks: Quant, Quantum
« Reply #237 on: January 12, 2012, 03:26:48 pm »
First of is statistics. These can't stand alone, but they do hint at some interestesting facts, Fasader cared to share them earlier on:
b) This means either that it is a support class or that it is underpowered compared to 2h and polearm who has far more kills.

That 30% will probably not take into account hybrids, there are an awful lot of 2h and polearms with crossbows/throwing for sidearms now to deal with ranged themselves. The second point is invalid, I started cRPG as an archer because I wanted to learn how the game worked from a distance. After 3 generations I wanted to try something different, so I went 2h. I have an archer alt now (aswell as many others) and I still enjoy my 2h more, so point b is not solely influenced by balance but what people enjoy playing most.

Offline Idzo

• Earl
  • Renown: 494
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Deserter_IdZo
  • IRC nick: IdZo Steam Nick: Deja3n9
« Reply #238 on: January 12, 2012, 03:38:28 pm »
make it 9 out of 10 death (at least for me when I´m level 30 in my good gear and I´m not too tired for blocking).

i never saw plated horsemen owning a server, not even for a single round.

You never saw Gnjus? comon...  :mrgreen:

I thing I forgot to mention is throwers and 2h with xbow..
When you calculate that let's say at least 60% of players on server got his fingers stuck in ranged...

Btw. What's with admins sexual orentiation? I've been stalked!  :|
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 03:39:41 pm by Idzo »
Urist: Being crpg mod makes you go insane at some point. look at meow, he thinks he's a fcking cat

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 12, 2012, 03:41:26 pm »
That is what it means. Ranged shoots from a distance, targets come, targets go. They rarely shoot someone down from 100% hp to 0% hp. Melee on the other hand fights in close quarters, there is rarely running away. It happens quite often that melee does take the full hp in a fight.

Bottomline is the amount of kills ranged does is far from representative of the power of that class. Rarely a round passes that I don't get shot, mostly taking away about 1/3rd of my hp. I get to cover, relocate or the archer switches targets. When you meet someone in melee, it mostly ends in the death of either you or him. Melee kills a handful of targets, ranged deal damage across the entire team.

Taking that in mind, the 30% is a very large share, larger than I expected.

On to my other point

This discussion just keeps going on and on, but for me personally, the incoming removal of ladders from battle will fix my issues with ranged. I am fine with archers, actually like the flavour they add to battle, melee only just doesn't cut it for longer periods of time. I am only fine with them when I can reach them. With the ladders I couldn't reach them as a 2h. Only shielders could, but not even always because of archers shooting from different angles or the ladder being gone.

As a melee I have to consistently deal with ranged, melee and cav. I can never have absolute safety from any of them. Ofcourse there is cover and obstacles that provide some safety, but not to the extend roofs did to ranged. They had absolute safety from both cav and melee. That is what bothered me and probably what bothered Ujin, the OP.

There is also a new map rotation supervisor, no doubt there will be more open maps, so I guess we are not that far from the situation the latter screens describe in the OP. Just wait to see what no ladders does to ranged and then continue the omgnerfthread.