Author Topic: Strategus Battles - Respawn timer based on K:D  (Read 9694 times)

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
Strategus Battles - Respawn timer based on K:D
« on: January 04, 2011, 05:05:06 pm »
We had a long discussion yesterday evening about this, and I'd like to hear more opinions about this.

The idea is as follows: Both teams start with a respawn timer of, say, 10 seconds. Every time One guy dies, it takes 10 seconds to respawn.

As the battle goes, the kill:death ratio will shift - which would also shift the respawn timer (for the whole team).

With a good K:D ratio, one team could get reinforcements within 3 seconds, while the worse team would eventually have to wait up to 25, 30 seconds per respawn.

Also, if a spawn is taken, you cannot respawn on it any more - if all spawn are taken, the enemy gets routed.

Reason for this? It would eventually allow more tactic in battles, it would allow a smaller team to win against a large team by being clever.

Thoughts?

Offline Erasmas

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The crows had come
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Erasmas_the_Grey
Re: Strategus Battles - Respawn timer based on K:D
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 05:07:30 pm »
Respawn - so its for siege mode only?

If so: +1, it may balance the chances for defenders. Only thing...  I am not sure about this spawn taking...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 05:23:52 pm by Erasmas »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline KaleLord

• Count
  • Renown: 233
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player
  • Nurd
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Kale
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 05:07:59 pm »
I think it should be the opposite actually
The worse team should have faster respawn time so they can have a chance to retaliate
If they do successfully retaliate Both teams will  respawn at same rate again
Kale: One of the cutest, chubbiest, asianiest faces in c-RPG. Take a look when you get the chance, guys. I will miss this beautiful man.

Offline CtrlAltDe1337

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Victoria aut mors
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS / Northern Empire
  • Game nicks: Kataphraktos, Muffins, CtrlAltDelete, Haleth
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 05:20:17 pm »
Do you mean having some kind of spawn/capture points?  Becuase I think that's a good idea.  But as far as the respawn timer, I'm not sure how u mean it to work.  People with better or worse K/D ratio gets a shorter timer?

Because if its the worse guys, that's just penalizing the good team.  But if its for the better team, that's just giving them a bigger advantage and hurting the team which is losing atm.  Would it be possible to implement this in a test game before adding it to all the Strategus battles?  Because I am skeptical.
Quote from: IRC
<abearirl>crtlaltdel shut up | you are the worst | sperglord | i hate you so much | if i could ban goatee or ban you | i'd ban you
<Wylker|work>man if i was locked in a bunker with einstein, stalin, and CtrlAltDelete and had a gun with only 2 bullets | I'd shoot CtrlAltDelete twice

Offline KaleLord

• Count
  • Renown: 233
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player
  • Nurd
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Kale
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 05:21:31 pm »

With a good K:D ratio, one team could get reinforcements within 3 seconds, while the worse team would eventually have to wait up to 25, 30 seconds per respawn.

Thoughts?
Kale: One of the cutest, chubbiest, asianiest faces in c-RPG. Take a look when you get the chance, guys. I will miss this beautiful man.

Offline BlackGyver

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • What's up white girl ?
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vendredi (formerly), Ninja_BlackGyver, Polydextrose_Bonbon, Professeur_Tournesol, Marc_Assin
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 05:24:52 pm »
This is a brilliant idea, and I'm really looking forward to ingame evolutions. Finally battles might have sense now.

I'm a bit worried on how it could effect Siege battles, though. What about setting one "hard" respawn for each team (one on the flag for defenders, one off the walls for attackers), and leave the rest be "soft" respawns; ie. tactical choke points, each army trying to take it back.

In red, attackers hard respawn. In blue, defenders hard respawn. In yellow, tactical soft respawns.

Soft respawns could aswell help lowering the respawn timer, maybe ?

I think it should be the opposite actually
The worse team should have faster respawn time so they can have a chance to retaliate
If they do successfully retaliate Both teams will  respawn at same rate again

No, the point here is to see less bullshit on the battlefield; more cautious teams, and more teamplay.

Offline Furax

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 05:30:54 pm »
Would you still keep your routed troops? Or could one technically lose 10.000 soldiers versus a shock squad of 100?

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 05:31:55 pm »
you would (probably) keep the troops, but lose some/all? of your gear.

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 05:35:16 pm »
I like the idea of being able to rout an enemy.

But make it so that looser looses x amount of troops, money and EQ in the process (though not all). What ever X is I have no idea.
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline Furax

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 05:36:19 pm »
Then I support this idea, perhaps keep some equipment? Maybe lose 50-75% of it as a punishment for beeing routed.

And I think you should lose some troops also, just not all of them(maybe more depending on the number of enemy troops?)

Oh and when were talking about the respawn time, its not induvidual spawning we are talking about right? Waves I presume, otherwise the losing team would soon be doomed to rout nomatter what
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 05:44:32 pm by Furax »

Offline Leiknir

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: Leiknir
  • IRC nick: Leiknir
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 05:44:54 pm »
Does it calculate troop ratios somehow? Else you will just see normal10k armies destroyed by 60fullplate charger people.

Offline Kengil

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SeaRaiders (Nordmen of Fenada)
  • IRC nick: kiljo
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 05:47:45 pm »
My first thought is "Cool".  Sounds like this could make battles more interesting and give teams a reason to push forward.
Possible misuse is cav rush around the enemy force just to ninja cap the enemy spawns.

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 05:49:27 pm »
Ok what do you do if the better team starts to exploit that tactic.

For example:
You have one big army of bad equiped soldiers and one small army with very good equpiment.
Maybee a battle 10000 vs 1000. The Good equiped Soldiers start very well soon getting a k/d ratio of 5:1 or better.

In normal battle they still would lose. But now they could easily win and kill the whole army.
At one point (good army spawns within 5 seconds bad army within 30 seconds) on one bad equipped guy there would be
nearly the full team of the good army. With that long respawn time the bad army would be killed one by one from archers/ cav etc.

The point is if the good army manages to get to this point there is no more reason to take any further respawnpoint. You would
let your opponent keep the last respawnpoint until the last man of them spawned and you can kill his own army without the opponent
being able to do very much against this.

Its better to implement mobile Respawnpoints (to be able to spawn on the wall as attacker for example) which can be taken etc.

Offline Olwen

• Earl
  • Renown: 419
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • A shadow among others
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 06:05:16 pm »
i would suggest maps with 5 strategic respawn

each team starts with 1 respawn, then there's 3 strategic respawns on the map at strategic points, like a hill, a bridge, a forest, a building or whatever

each spawn you conquer gives you some seconds less to respawn or gives you an advanced respawn, if you get 4/5 of the spawns you root the enemy who has to retreat, losing some troops and equipment

so no camp, no ninja rush, tactics and real strategy

maybe less spawns for smaller battles

Offline Hecur

• Knight
  • Renown: 73
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 06:16:07 pm »
+1

Good Idea