Author Topic: Bodkins and Archery: An Inconvenient Truth  (Read 13508 times)

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
Re: Bodkins and Archery: An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2011, 11:33:05 am »

So you say other archers are in less danger and less threatened or targeted by players than other classes? Ever played on servers?^^

It's funny how so many people always say "oh it's so easy as an archer to defend yourself against incoming cav". "It is so easy to headshot a horseguy who trys to kill you."

Blablabla, play an archer for a while and we speak again.

Tell me how I shall draw my bow while constantly getting bumped or slashed by a horseman that trys to kill me. Maybe I'm such a noobarcher after 8 gens and lvl 32 that I can learn something from you guys, as you seem to be the most skilled archers in this game :rolleyes:

Man remember that is a situation 1 of 1000. in the other 999 you have another archer nearby you who shoots the horseman. Archer is never alone and even if those 2 are far away from eachother they can always teamwork. What is pityful is that you can block a lancier even wihtout a weapon. it's easy to chamber with your fists or just to jump aside.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Skyrim UI

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2011, 11:35:45 am »
Put 6-7 PD, Repeat test

Its the same as if i wanted to test melee dmg. There would be a HUGE difference between 5 PS and 6-7 PS
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 11:39:15 am by Fluffy_Muffin »
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2011, 11:36:53 am »
So a guy with plate and a big sword would jumpkill in reallife?   :lol:   :rolleyes:

He could, if he wanted to. People need to drop the common misconception about plate armor

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2011, 12:00:13 pm »
Ah there is 1 thing I ahve forgotten to say. Isn't it like that, that when you release an arrow, for the first few meters it's shaking a bit? I mean it looks like" ( " then " | " then " ) " and " | " again? ( Didn't know how to show that :P ) Anyway that arrow is springy and during the first few meters it's not stable and therefore guys in good armours shouldn't get 100% dmg in v. small ranges because if arro hit you in " ) "
position it will just glance or breake. therefore very small ranges should be sefe for melee shouldn't they ?

Skyrim UI

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2011, 12:02:43 pm »
Put 6-7 PD, Repeat test

Its the same as if i wanted to test melee dmg. There would be a HUGE difference between 5 PS and 6-7 PS

It would be smaller difference, because PS adds 8% and power draw 14%. Am I right ?

Skyrim UI

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2011, 01:22:51 pm »
He could, if he wanted to. People need to drop the common misconception about plate armor

We've talked about that theme in another thread over a long time.

Sure you can jump and hit. But now try this with full swing and the intention to hit someone and THEN miss you hit because he steps back. All your power put in that swing and your jump will go further and you will just land on your face or arse.

It's the same about all the jumpkicking in martial arts movies. It's good for films etc, but no real fighter would ever do that in reallife, because it's stupid and very dangerous for your own

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1900
  • Infamy: 849
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2011, 01:30:57 pm »
If you my old friendchers somehow, magically, persuade dev team to remove jump swing from this mod you can have this mod just for yourselves :wink:

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2011, 01:36:34 pm »

I got the impression that you were sayin that he couldnt do it because of weight/movement restrictions.

Hence i said he could, if he wanted to.

Is it practial? No

Can he do it? Sure

And thats why it shouldnt be removed, cause if i want to do it i can.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2011, 01:59:38 pm »
We've talked about that theme in another thread over a long time.

Sure you can jump and hit. But now try this with full swing and the intention to hit someone and THEN miss you hit because he steps back. All your power put in that swing and your jump will go further and you will just land on your face or arse.

It's the same about all the jumpkicking in martial arts movies. It's good for films etc, but no real fighter would ever do that in reallife, because it's stupid and very dangerous for your own

No, jumping and hitting would be and is practical... but only very situationally. Just like in c-RPG. If you just randomly jump around in fights, you'll be a sitting duck when you land.

Check this for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buPRU02T0fU&feature=player_detailpage#t=278s
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2011, 02:06:20 pm »
Check this for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buPRU02T0fU&feature=player_detailpage#t=278s

I must say I was quite impressed with the way they designed Achilles fighting style in that film. I always imagined him to be this big hulking guy...kind of old style image of a hero. Instead they used speed and a rather unique fighting style.

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2011, 03:19:09 pm »
Regarding Kafeín post:

Quote from: karasu on Yesterday at 10:39:55

People forget that this is a War simulator. Not a God Complex simulator. You're expected to kill and die. If you're getting killed too much by a certain class, adapt. I don't see Cooties (p.e.) complaining about it, and he still tops scores constantly while being a Boromir, with a shield on his back.

Wars were won with tactics, shieldwalls, ranged waves, timed cavalry support, and engineered equipment. Not by Boromirs.

"Okay."

Okay.

While being an archer in this mod, specially now, you're already gimped by the simple fact that the jump shooting was removed, but the jump swinging is still here, even though no one on his perfect mind would jump and swing heavy metal weaponry to try and hit something, this isn't Hollywood. And this "feature" was a great help against cav specially.

"Besides that I personally think that while nocking an arrow while jumping seems more awkward than swinging a piece of metal while jumping, archers can still kite allright. They lost the ability to magically shoot over shields, which seems okay to me (shields countering archers). On the "help against cav" part, it's still possible to dodge without jumping and shoot in the horse or rider. Anyway, a horseman able enough to come into melee range of an archer with his horse/himself alive (more on this later) already has merit for that and shouldn't have too much additionnal trouble for hitting the archer."

In fact this is what caused the even more improved camp-fest on rooftops and running archers, a wonderful "chicken-egg" situation.

Also add the fact that a simple hit from an arbalest/lance/2hCav/1hCav/poleaxes/2handers is enough to kill a dedicated archer.

"It usually is but not always. The main problem being that most people die before this comes into the equation."

In case you haven't noticed yet (as most of the community), archery is a support class, and it works into diminishing the numbers of the enemy army before the infantry clashes, not meanwhile, not after. As so, it's completely normal that the enemy numbers go down before the main fight. Specially now with reduced missile speed, a average archer can only shoot in safety into a melee fight if he stands really close to it, to avoid the risk of team killing, wounding, etc.

Sure they don't wear expensive armor and expensive lightsabers, but if you keep in mind the ultimate truth that 95% of the time, when a round ends the bodkin stacks are repair (350+ each), adding a bow for almost 700, and a side weapon if you have a build like that (like mine, and tenne p.e.) adding more 500+, and still having in mind how squishy an archer is even paying hard for it, you might start seeing things differently.

"This isn't close to what a decent horseman has to pay for a very squishy and huge (read arrows will hit) horse, and even more when the horse is easier to hit and a little more resistant."

Once again, people are yet to realize the intentions towards cavalry from the mod creator. It was supposed to be a "prestige class" due to the simple fact that it is the biggest powerhouse in this mod/game and the biggest tide-turner. A decent cav/lancer p.e. can easily achieve ridiculous amounts of kills even using the "squishy and huge horse" you kindly mention, (take Leed, or Tommy as an example). And the reason behind the increased cost of the mounts prices it's only a measure to counter the huge numbers of cavalry constantly at the game, making it simply unplayable, specially with the number of deser/plains maps on rotation now.
You can imagine 30+ players with a 1 hit kill ability every few seconds and the ability of knocking down opponents while dealing damage as they please.
Also add the fact that it's easier with medium/high ping players to hit the rider than the bugged mount, cause it's immense the amount of arrows that pass by that amazing animal or that every cav rider can bump hit anyone trying to block (yes, sadly even lancers can do it, even if the lance has already passed the target).

Even so this measure wasn't enough, since market allows people to make easily lots of money by either honest trades or scamming like a boss.

This also applies to BlueKnight rage post.  :oops: (btw blueknight, I don't 1 shoot anything that isn't a naked peasant, due to the simple fact that I only have 6 PD (who needs more anyway) and it rains 80% of the time, damn I have to headshot cooties twince almost in point blank in order to kill him with normal weather.  :lol:

Before whining, put yourself in a Neutral position, and reflect about every single fact weighting in the final formula.

This formula is much more complex than what many people tend to beleive. The main advantage of archer is the range (quite a dull sentence there). It's very complicated to estimate the average impact of this. However, it shouldn't be forgotten. Archers are defended against cav and inf because especially at very close range, bows are deadly weapons. The best way to kill an archer remains stealth, for both cav and inf, because when an archer spots someone approaching, he can immediatly react and shoot at this opponent, or run away.

In the case of cav, one of the most suicidal things to do is heading towards an aware (or defended, or not close enough to something you can hide behind) archer, as the speed bonus will increase the arrow damage, and the rate of fire makes the time window for "safe" attacking very short (you have to stay very close to the archer in order to maximise the distance yet still be able to reach him before he shoots again, a last second shot is a sure headshot).

This extremely good, ranged defense gives the class big advantages. The raw stats shouldn't be expected to be as high as those of classes that actually have to take much more risks and be the target of much more threats.

Erm, sure mate, though I wasn't talking about that obvious information.  :rolleyes:

The Paper Rock Scissors method is constantly at work, ranged is good against infantry and horses, horses are good against infantry and ranged, etc etc etc etc yadda yadda.

It's just a matter of how are the classes used, how are the tactics made, and WHO is actually using them.

Posted by: Leshma
« on: Today at 00:13:57 »

Throwers can jump while throw as well...

It's realism argument actually, xbowmen and archers can't because they have to be precise and there aren't any archers who would jump kite IRL. But a person needs a functional brain to get that and sadly some of our forum comrades don't fit the reqs...

Seriously don't take karasu's posting about balance seriously. He cried so hard against archery when he was playing 2h and was actually supporting removal of jump kite. But suddenly (khm khm) he thinks it's unfair... oh my!

Saddens me how you simply use every single opportunity on the forum to get a "shinning troll moment of fame".

Firstly, you can't govern this videogame by realism arguments only. You can start by the simple example that you can't CUT a heavy armored knight, but game-wise wouldn't make any sense. I believe you're intelligent enough to find another examples without trolling/insulting.

Secondly, I was, and still AM in favor of the removal of jump shooting, but not a lone action, as it was. This only led to even further need of roofcamping, glitch abusing and full athletics running archers, which I simple hate. Yes I'm an hybrid that actually hates camping on roofs, and runners who don't know how to manual block. Deal with it.

And lastly, I don't need your help to make my posts even more disbelieved or ignored, cause it seems to be a reality already for a long time ( I guess it's the counter part of talking my mind openly without fearing repercussions ).

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2011, 03:34:26 pm »

btw blueknight, I don't 1 shoot anything that isn't a naked peasant, due to the simple fact that I only have 6 PD (who needs more anyway) and it rains 80% of the time, damn I have to headshot cooties twince almost in point blank in order to kill him with normal weather.  :lol:

It doesn't change the fact that cooties has a build at lvl 33 or 34 and he has a few IF points. Not everyone can afford 6 IF. What is more, you can always hit sb from every distance ( I am not talking about accuracy, just about possibility ) and it is impossible to block arrow until you have a shield. Also if the enemy was hit earlier it's just 1 shot and the enemy is dead.

I have retired yesterday, I have 16 str and 0 IF so far, but I have 50 body armour and today when it was raining I got hit with 2 arrows and around 70% of my life was gone. If there wasn't any rain I would be dead after 2 arrows...

Skyrim UI

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2011, 03:36:25 pm »
And remember that the number of shots to kill sb doesn't show the dmg that they deal. 70% of HP down, still means 2-hitting...

BTW if I placed everything in 1 post nobody would read it.

Skyrim UI

Offline Remy

• Knight
  • Renown: 68
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remy_the_Fox
  • IRC nick: Remy
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2011, 04:52:46 pm »
What is more, you can always hit sb from every distance ( I am not talking about accuracy, just about possibility )

I can possibly flank an entire enemy team and kill them all with a 1H axe, clearly axes are over powered.  :rolleyes:

There are furthermore several situations when in fact you cannot get a decent shot off...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 04:53:54 pm by Remy »

Fox, Horse Archer, Tker of Chagan.

Offline Farrok

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Farrok
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2011, 05:00:16 pm »
about jumpslashing:

i don`t know of any fighting techiques with jumpslashing...when its realistic i want a link to that plz...need to learn it xD only because i`m interested in it because i fighting in reallife, being in a fencing school...learning german school fencing like in the late medieval times.

though i would like it better ingame when no one can jumpslash/jumpshot. melee need control over swing(swinging power comes from body not from arms) and range need precision(already worse by jumping and no jumpshooting anymore)