Author Topic: Bodkins and Archery: An Inconvenient Truth  (Read 13430 times)

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
Bodkins and Archery: An Inconvenient Truth
« on: October 14, 2011, 07:19:34 am »
+15
This is pre-patch .261, so currently outdated (IE archers may deal a little less damage on average)

New Edit:
(click to show/hide)

WARNING! THIS POST IS FUCKING LONG

There are a lot of archery threads around right now.

A lot of people are saying a lot of things about archery. 
Archery is EZ-mode.
Archery is under-powered. 
Archery is broken because of bodkins. 
Archery kills in 2-3 hits. 
Archers should avoid firing into melee. 
Archers should fire into melee. 
Archery is over powered. 

Archery is for pussies.

Everyone has something to say about archery, but there never seems to be enough hard evidence.
I'm hoping that I can at least provide some context with this thread, so at the very least we can frame the archer whine-fest with a semblance of truth.

What I did:
I spent some time during the course of a few days to keep track of the amount of hits it took me to kill a wide assortment of poor suckers helpful test subjects, using a controlled distance while recording what their strength, ironflesh, and total body armor (chest + gloves) were.  I would kill each subject 1-3 times from short, medium, and long range.  In the end I had roughly 25 kills from each range, or about 75 individual tests in all.  Still plenty of room for variation, but enough tests that the findings should hold up fairly well.

The Facts of the Experiment:
My Build:  At the time of the test my build was 17/21.  I had 5 Power Draw, and 163 archery wpf.  I had an effective armor weight of 5, so a negligible decrease in effective weapon proficiency.

My Equipment: I used a Masterworked Horn Bow (27 cut) and Masterworked Bodkins (4 pierce) for a raw 31 pierce damage.  This is 1 more pierce than a vanilla Rus Bow and vanilla Bodkins, and 1 less pierce than a vanilla Long Bow and vanilla Bodkins.  Therefore please note that my damage is probably around the mid range for archers who use Bodkins at this time (more powerful than most non-loomed bows, but a bit less powerful than the heirloomed 2-slot archers out there). 

My Distance Interpretation:  I told test subjects to stand by the dead tree centered in the pictures below (the one with bodies all around it; I affectionately refer to it now as "the murder tree"), and I would target body shots from the location you see me take my screenshots from.  I know that these distances are arbitrary, but in the heat of battle I consider these to be rough guidelines of what constitutes practical 'short, medium, and long' shots.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

My Findings:

Against Targets With 80+ HP:
Most hits to kill: 9  (Target: 80 hp, 72 body armor.  Long distance shots)
Least hits to kill: 4  (Target: 87 hp, 54 body armor AND 85 hp 71 body armor.  Occurred on short & mid distance shots)
Average hits to kill from short range:  5.3 (out of 9 total tests)
Average hits to kill from medium range:  5.5 (out of 8 total tests)
Average hits to kill from long range: 6.125  (out of 8 total tests)

Against Targets with 64-76 HP:
Most hits to kill:  7  (Target: 76 hp, 68 body armor.  Long distance shots)
Least hits to kill:  3  (Target: 65 hp, 52 body armor.  Short distance shots)
Average hits to kill from short range:  4.08  (out of 12 total tests)
Average hits to kill from medium range:  4  (out of 12 total tests)
Average hits to kill from long range:  4.25  (out of 12 total tests)

Against Targets with 62 or less HP:
  Note: A level 1 peasant was included in this round which may lower average hits to kill numbers slightly
Most hits to kill:  3  (Target:  55 hp, 46 body armor.  Long distance shots)
Least hits to kill: 1  (Target: 38 hp,  9 body armor.  Any distance shots)
Average hits to kill from short range:  1.57  (out of 7 total tests)
Average hits to kill from medium range: 1.4  (out of 5 total tests)
Average hits to kill from long range:  1.6  (out of 5 total tests)

(light armor tests need more work; not enough tests and peasant testing threw numbers.  Without the peasant included tests would average 2 hits for short and medium range, 2.5 for long)

My Conclusions:

More testing will need to be done now that I have 6 power draw.  But ultimately I don't think that bodkins are quite as overpowered as people seem to say regarding the heavy armored tincans. 

Bodkins will kill tin cans in about 5 or 6 hits on the average.
Bodkins will kill mid-heavy troops in about 4 hits on the average.
Bodkins will kill lighter troops in about 2-3 hits on the average.

Keep in mind there are going to be a lot of archers that use non heirloomed bows, or use cut type arrows, and in those cases their average hit-to-kill numbers will probably be from 1 to many hits higher on the average (esp. when dealing with tin cans).  Similarly there will be heirloomed heavy power draw longbowmen who will probably bring the average hits to kill number down by 1 max (so maybe 4-5 for tin cans, 3 for mid-heavy, 2 for lighter).

Other hunches; general things I found interesting:
-hp mattered more than armor for survival
-distance didn't seem to make AS large a difference as I originally thought.  Perhaps I wasn't far enough away on my 'long' tests
-If you are a standard infantry type with decent (50 ish) body armor you'll likely survive 4 hits from archers in general.  It takes quite a bit of strength and armor to reliably survive 5 or more, so it probably isn't worth it.
-board shield w/ 600 hp survived 20 arrows. Low armor, but I did about 30 damage a shot.  Shields rule basically for ranged (duh)

I'll see if I can update more when I have time.

E: I almost forgot:  Thanks to everyone who gave a bit of time FOR SCIENCE!
Credits to test subjects:
Sageroth
Jeff
Captain_Insano_WCO
Passion
Assassino_Extremo
Sedurut
Wolfgang
Blade
Voester
Morr
Gzack
Tom_Cruise
Ninja_blood
Wintersong
Ninja_djnipsy
Grandpa Joe Has altheimers
(thanks for skewing the results you peasant jerk!)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 08:07:47 pm by MrShine »
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Bodkins and Archery: An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 07:41:24 am »
+3
O0o...

Offline Liveon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • chadz...am sam, bo tak już mam.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Freedom
  • Game nicks: Liveon and... twins
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 08:12:37 am »
The most important is PD- your build is, ekhm, atypical (17?) and ineffective(imho).
The best/OP archers have a (absolute minimum) >+6 PD (exception is  HA, but they are  speed premium for damage).

BTW, Archers are not OP- good archers are OP:), just like a good 1h/2h/xbows/cavs.
Another thing; that there are too many(low diff for topbows, imho)...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 10:36:26 am by Liveon »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 08:18:33 am »
What I've noticed is that Rus Bow and Longbow tends to 2hit while other bows are a lot less threatening.. Probably something to do with the PD requirements, too.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline The_Angle

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
  • Qaddaffi 4 eva
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 08:19:11 am »
''The Inconvenient Truth'' made this thread feel like I just opened a Wikileaks Article.

*Edit* Its a good read and I hope that this could perhaps silence those who blame archery for its apparent OPestry upon loose facts or lies.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 08:24:36 am by The_Angle »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

In the land of rape and honey, you prey.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 09:43:06 am »
I appreciate the time you took to do this test and hats off to you for this.

Would like to see it done with proper 6 and 7 PD.

Also u must realise most people are bothered by sheer ammount of ranged on the servers not individuals or individual damage, yes i can sucessfully dodge one archer shooting at me but 5 or more no way.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 10:01:38 am »
+1
so basicly its not op that u can ~3~4 shot people with a hit and run build like yours, witch you will outrun most people with in archer gear. and now be a nice little archer and take 7+ pd like the moar dedicated real archers and see how u will rofl about, oh yeah and go hang on some cliffside or hard to reach place to where u totally take advantedge of the movement in this game, and oh hi you so eazy to hit right now moving slowly towards me hihihihi, ur only option is to run from me har har, better run better run run from my bow,  oh adn while u at it take 2 archer friends at position urself a few meters appart from eachother, and see how ur effectiveness quahunderdfuckindrouples. while u at it try communicating with them like ok lets hit this guy first, ye if u hit him the other 2 of u will have free hits to, ye ye  lets do that. omg haha i think i like this game now, we can own everybody together guys, omg your such a genius , i have waited so long for a game where i could finally own everybody without actually having to be a decent gamer.

to the point , yes maybe slightly maybe atm its ballanced if this was a deathmatch type of game where u wher  a lone wolf sniper facing your enemys. but il give u a reality check this is supposed to be a teambased game where u work together , and oh oh oh dous the realisation sink in that maybe then your class is still the most op thing out there, currently challenged by a line of throwers.

ONLY SOLUTION DECREASE DRAW SPEED OR DECREASE DAMAGE , preferrable abit of both

(this is not directed at poster directly since his research is great and appretiated and only backing up my whine, its directed to the fairy class users in general )
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 10:14:53 am by rufio »

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 10:28:57 am »
+3

ONLY SOLUTION DECREASE DRAW SPEED OR DECREASE DAMAGE , preferrable abit of both

I dont think your opinion is an educated one. Archers already populate the bottom of the score boards, if anything, damage needs to be increased and the reticule needs to hold out for 2 extra seconds so archers can aim properly. And people should whine about effectiveness, there's a reason why almost every melee fighter had a shield back in the day. Unlike crpg.

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 10:34:28 am »
+1
I dont think your opinion is an educated one. Archers already populate the bottom of the score boards, if anything, damage needs to be increased and the reticule needs to hold out for 2 extra seconds so archers can aim properly. And people should whine about effectiveness, there's a reason why almost every melee fighter had a shield back in the day. Unlike crpg.

you seem to be talking out of context here im not talking about realism here im talking about ballance in this ''''game'''' witch is arguably far from realism. asin  to give a simple example: an archer u can power block eny weapon witch isnt crushthrough  with a cicle, and if i was bothered i could probbably write several pages arguing as in how this game isnt as it was back in the day, thanks for sharing your oppinion thow good sir. oh and yes i know from hours and hours of waisting my life away in this game that archers do actually top the scoreboards to.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 10:35:35 am by rufio »

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 10:45:32 am »

yesss u speak the gospel my dear man!
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 10:52:47 am »
+3
Rufio, what do you think is the average k/d-ratio of a footarcher and a foot 2h guy? Both above level > 25. The abominable archer must surely be at least on par or more likely be above the meager melee man, right?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 10:55:36 am by Paul »

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 10:58:28 am »
Good thread, but as said 7-9 PD Rus/longbow users are what's really causing the rage on the servers atm.

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 30
  • Infamy: 490
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 10:59:37 am »
+1

No they don't. Only bad archers just like bad 2h or bad shielders. Good archers are usually 1st (depends on map) or close to the top, just like 2h. Cav, on the other hand, are usually 1st no matter the map (only dense cities are problem for those bastards) and don't need to be particularly good players to do good because their victims are usually completely braindead.

Also K/D =/= skill

Rufio, what do you think is the average k/d-ratio of a footarcher and a foot 2h guy? Both above level > 25. The abominable archer must surely be at least on par or more likely be above the meager melee man, right?

Let me guess, it's more of those statistics of yours? :rolleyes:

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 11:00:14 am »
+1
As an archer who runs around with a base 6PD (18 strength), Masterwork Bodkin arrows, Masterwork Longbow & 159 wpf I could quite happily help you with these tests if you wish. I am willing to jump onto a duel server and set up a similar distance and do a similar amount of tests.

I could probably collar Gisbert in to help as well, with his 7(?) PD, 173(?) wpf, Masterwork Longbow and Masterwork Bodkin arrows.

Also, on top of that, I am able to see specific hp levels (by percentage) due to being an admin and the "show player names cheat" so this could help give a more accurate representation of the exact damage each hit is doing, on average, at a specific distance, specific height, power draw, weapon prof etc etc. (I'm sure no one would mind the use of this in course of scientific experimentation that would benefit the community.)

From the top of my head, I have to say I do do a reasonable amount of damage, but most of my kills come from close range kiting of silly two handers. I normally kill medium armoured people (50 body armour) in three shots (unless they increase my speed bonus my jumping at me or running towards me/doing the idiot spin dance that we all know is completely ineffective)

So yes, in short, i'm quite happy to give a different view point on this as well.

Finally, this is perfectly true:

Also K/D =/= skill
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 11:01:24 am by Tennenoth »

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline Raki

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Teresa
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 11:01:59 am »
If I may ask, why are people screaming "NERF NERF" when a good archer manages to top the boards, but there isn't a human being around that's really complaining about the other 90% of the maps (rough estimate) when the boards are topped by a skilled 2her, polearm user or shielder?
Cav's in the same boat as archery btw, no-one likes being bumpslashed in half by some random my old friend with a semi-indestructible armored horse. :P (lance cav topping the boards can be impressive imo)

Anyway, a skilled archer is just as dangerous as any other skilled player. I think that's called balance...
Sure, 3 archers working together can be deadly for anyone without a shield, but then again, that's probably why shields exist in the first place. Also, if you look at groups of 3 cav, 3 shielders or 3 2h/polearm players, I think it all evens out. (unprepared people don't stand a chance)

Thanks for the tests on the killing ability of archers, MrShine.