Author Topic: Bodkins and Archery: An Inconvenient Truth  (Read 13488 times)

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Bodkins and Archery: An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #135 on: October 19, 2011, 05:15:50 pm »
I just described what archery is and the freacking scoreboard doesn't state opinions.
And the "I played an archer, it's easy, so I went 2hander" thing is getting old. I've fought enought 2handers with my fighting axe to know how low skilled they usualy are.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 05:18:52 pm by Adamar »

Offline Brutal

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Pecores_Brutal_le chacal Cold_stone Bazooka
« Reply #136 on: October 19, 2011, 05:28:54 pm »
I've played 2 low gens of an archer with:
MW Horn + MW Tatars + Mace
MW Rus + MW Tatars + Hammer
and that was actually BEFORE the full pierce damage "buff"

I finished both generations with a k/d of about 3, let's not even mention sieges.
Yea well try and do the same with non loomed gear, loosing 5 base damage+ shooting speed and accuracy will seriously change your experience.

It has been said many time before fully loomed archer are OP, the gap with non loomed archer is way to big.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #137 on: October 19, 2011, 05:49:39 pm »
+2
Every time I read this thread, my bullshit meter explodes.

Talks like what fills 80% of this thread is why the Devs don't listen too close to what you lunatics say.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Fraemi

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Redgrave
« Reply #138 on: October 19, 2011, 05:55:09 pm »
The scoreboard DOES lie, because archers injure people more often, kill horses and control entire large portions of the map - which noone else can do to the same extent, apart from cav.
If anything then archers get too much from heirloom bonuses, a loomless archer is shit compared to a fully loomed bow + arrows. While any other class isn't changed that much by weapon heirlooms.
I never said it was easy, reread again. I said archery felt boring, withdrawn and quite honestly pretty lame in regards to the people I killed.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #139 on: October 19, 2011, 06:11:21 pm »
On the other hand a melee class fully loomed with +14 armor from gloves and torso armor...  :rolleyes:
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 19, 2011, 06:36:18 pm »
+1
On the other hand a melee class fully loomed with +14 armor from gloves and torso armor...  :rolleyes:
Armor looms are the silliest thing still in c-RPG. +14 armor from looms, c'mon.. it'd be balanced if it was a total of +7 from gloves and armor. Still a huge goddamn bonus but it wouldn't turn you into a Panzer tank.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #141 on: October 19, 2011, 08:33:48 pm »
+1
Armor looms are the silliest thing still in c-RPG. +14 armor from looms, c'mon.. it'd be balanced if it was a total of +7 from gloves and armor. Still a huge goddamn bonus but it wouldn't turn you into a Panzer tank.
Agreed. And as ToD pointed out in another thread, so is bow/quiver 'looms. Still archers whined when he made a suggestion to change it  :rolleyes:
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 19, 2011, 09:50:27 pm »
I agree, armour looms are abit over the top, could be changed to +1, +1 and +2.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 19, 2011, 09:57:11 pm »
I agree, armour looms are abit over the top, could be changed to +1, +1 and +2.

More like +2, +1, +1. I say this being completely unbiased.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #144 on: October 20, 2011, 06:20:06 am »
+1
I finished both generations with a k/d of about 3, let's not even mention sieges. I never had problems with awareness from either cav or inf because I didn't tunnel vision on one target (it's like an argument of "I'm bad - that's why we need buffs") and knew how to use the "view outfit" button.
I stopped playing an archer because I found the gameplay boring and withdrawn from the real action which is melee.
Also fuck defining by realism and don't state opinions as facts. A good or even a decent archer is better to be had on your team than a good or a decent anything else.

A k/d of 3:1?  As full archer?  I don't buy it.  I remember when the nacrpg site was up and kept track of KDR, the highest KD for archers was like 2.5:1 or something.  You're either lying, you got a bunch of kills in melee instead of archery, or you're a much better archer than you think.  Or maybe with the larger battles in EU you are able to grab a bunch more peasant kills I don't know.

Also - Comparing melee swings and arrow hits doesn't really work, yes melee can be blocked, but it's much easier to get head shots, much harder to dodge swings, and you can attack much faster while in melee.  Plus even an amazing manual blocker probably won't outlast a high level shield taking arrows, a huge counter to lone archers.

To others: The reason I made this thread was to cut through some of the crap flying around, not to serve as a magnet for it.  Stop making claims about archery being OP, loomed archer being OP, whatever, without bringing something to the table.  I'm serious, I would love if we could get some more concretes in this thread instead of bitching.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Fraemi

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Redgrave
« Reply #145 on: October 20, 2011, 10:09:05 am »
If you really want concretes then repeat your test at 6/7/8PD with a MW Rus + MW Bodkins and MW Horn which is what anyone who knows what he is doing wants or is using.
Regarding the KD, I played siege until about I could get 5pd and 130/140 wpf to use a horn bow with decent accuracy, then I started playing on battles much more often. I really don't claim to be a great archer and I really had a lot to room to improve.

Regarding the heirlooms:
Check how much the damage/accuracy/speed improves for a "regular bow + regular arrows -> mw bow + mw arrows" transition in comparison to "regular 1h/polearm/2h -> mw 1h/polearm/2h".
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 10:11:09 am by Fraemi »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 20, 2011, 10:18:30 am »
+2

Much much agreed. And I say that as an owner of Lordly gauntlets and Lordly body armor.

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 20, 2011, 05:00:42 pm »
+2
Just jumped in and wanna say that Fraemi used to be a top-notch archer before he respecced , he indeed had loads of kills and was pretty damn accurate, not to mention that he actually almost never tunnel-visioned as well. Believe it or not, i don't really care.

P.S. armor looms should be reduced to +4/5 on torso and  3 on gloves imo.

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #148 on: October 21, 2011, 02:33:22 pm »
What do you mean by k/d 3:1?

That you go out of a round with 3times more kills than deaths?  If so, I have to agree it was and still is possible and actually quite easy IF you are a good archer^^

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #149 on: October 21, 2011, 07:39:07 pm »
What do you mean by k/d 3:1?

That you go out of a round with 3times more kills than deaths?  If so, I have to agree it was and still is possible and actually quite easy IF you are a good archer^^

Occasionally sure, but for a full gen?  No way not easy at all. I think Swalker made a challenge thread about that somewhere...ah yes http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,10602.120.html

"Let me start by saying I have no hate for xbows (ok maybe a little but lets not let that cloud my point).  Archery should be returned to pre-patch levels...we don't want a buff.  I personally know that archery is the hardest major class to play post patch...which is why I can make this challenge.

I am offering 100k in gold to any non-archer main, that rolls an archer alt, and posts a positive kdr by reaching level 31.    Rules:  1.  You can't have an archer main.  2.  You can't create a STF archer.  3.  It must be a pure archer...all wpf's must be 1 except for archery.

*good luck and have fun...and feel free to post your experience(no matter how early you quit) on the forum.

Sincerely,
S. Patrick Walker"

Granted he's talking about people claiming that archery is EZ mode and that was before the arrow changes, but I still find it much harder to have consistently high KDR as archer than as any other melee.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345