Author Topic: fair cav behavior on battle servers  (Read 25245 times)

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
Re: fair cav behavior on battle servers
« Reply #240 on: April 12, 2012, 08:30:06 pm »
+1
I like how "it helps your team" is used repeatedly as argument.

With this argumentation you can justify EVERYTHING. I don't know why doping is forbidden in sports, I mean, it helps you winning?

If I had a hack that would give me an infinite amount of throwing lances, so that I could throw over 200 lances a round, it would be okay, because it helps my team to win the round!

Yes, the goal of the game is winning rounds. But the goal of PLAYING this game is having fun. For EVERYONE. Develop a little bit more empathy, you egocentrics!  :mad:
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #241 on: April 12, 2012, 08:34:35 pm »
I like how "it helps your team" is used repeatedly as argument.

With this argumentation you can justify EVERYTHING. I don't know why doping is forbidden in sports, I mean, it helps you winning?

If I had a hack that would give me an infinite amount of throwing lances, so that I could throw over 200 lances a round, it would be okay, because it helps my team to win the round!

Yes, the goal of the game is winning rounds. But the goal of PLAYING this game is having fun. For EVERYONE. Develop a little bit more empathy, you egocentrics!  :mad:

There aren't rules against this...

:rolleyes:

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 12, 2012, 08:41:16 pm »
+2
Kafein, you say you go for stragglers and not for afks. Shouldnt it be the other way round?
They leech on the serv, the stragglers are actually playing! Killing afks is cleaning the server!

From my experience I know that 95% of people that are afk at spawn will play the round at some point. When they are afk, there's no challenge at all for the rider or the afk person. If they fake being afk, the horseman dies, if they really are, the afk dies.

Stragglers, however, have fair chances against cav, as long as the cav is not outnumbering them. It's very easy to use the ~ key to check your surroundings while running to your team. And cav vs anything aware is in the worst case (1h) more or less 50/50 with good players.

In the case of cav outnumbering the straggler, well that's unfortunate but the exact same thing happens to everyone that gets outnumbered by any other class. Maybe if horses weren't paperthin and not projected from their world of marmelade sluggishness into our cocaine-driven inertialess human world the horsemen would prioritize targets some other way.

Just look at the pics, there must be at least 6 cav. There was more coming from the other side.
Dont you see something wrong? You cant say anymore : derp derp why do wz have bad reputation derpy derpity derp

As I said in my previous post, you took a pic of 6 cav. Great work. SO what ? I could be ashamed at the amount of infantry being unfair  cowards and all sticking to that wall pretty much like a child under his mother's skirt, with crossbows loaded and pikes readied.

My point is, you don't know what the intent of these cavs is. I'm sure some of them went to kill afkers, as there are bad apples everywhere, but you can't conclude anything with those pics. The maps forces most cav to go around the walls, and that's what they do, exactly like infantry going in the town.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 08:42:52 pm by Kafein »

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 12, 2012, 08:50:43 pm »
the goal of the pic wasnt to see how many cav i could fit in...the goal was to show cav behavior.
 the pic represents the very first stage of the battle where cav get kill hungry and kills afk stragglers. It wasnt the first round, it happened every round. then later kerrigan went "oh why does everyone hate us?"

so i told myself : "hey im gonna posts pics that are the pêrfect illustration why they are hated, there is a topic forum about this".

but clearly i'll go f*** myself before responding to some questions  :rolleyes:

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 08:53:59 pm by Lactose_the_intolerant »

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 12, 2012, 08:56:55 pm »
There aren't rules against this...

:rolleyes:

So you are argumenting that everything which is not forbidden is okay and to be liked?

I am just saying: the mere fact that killing AFKers and late spawners is helping your team, doesn't make killing them a good or nice thing.

Roofcamping never was forbidden, but finally ladders waren taken out of the game, ALTHOUGH there was no rule against roofcamping.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 12, 2012, 08:59:46 pm »
So you are argumenting that everything which is not forbidden is okay and to be liked?

I am just saying: the mere fact that killing AFKers and late spawners is helping your team, doesn't make killing them a good or nice thing.

Roofcamping never was forbidden, but finally ladders waren taken out of the game, ALTHOUGH there was no rule against roofcamping.

Rules change. I am simply highlighting that your examples have rules designed to stop them for obvious reasons. There isn't a rule for this and so there's no reason not to do it other than someones own 'moral compass' if you will. Therefore your examples weren't very good ones.

Because the community complained loudly for a long time and there were very few people arguing against their removal. Rules can be changed/added/removed. But as of this moment...there is no rule.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
Re: fair cav behavior on battle servers - choice between pest or colara
« Reply #246 on: April 12, 2012, 09:17:16 pm »
when i started playing cRPG, i was choosing mostly battle because of the thrill, skill and tactics included(that stayed that way for quite some time). Siege was boring to me as you got respawned anyways , a lot of more teamhits there too.

Now i find myself more and more driven to siege. It is not that i like it more, but that i can't stand the cav investation anymore at times. MY CHOICE ISN'T ANYMORE WHAT I LIKE MORE, BUT WHAT I CAN BARE FOR WHILE. Battles cav or mindless siege getting slaughtered by chrushthrough nubs at entry points of a castle. It is the choice between pest and colara

When i started we had in average over the day 3-7 cavs on each map splitted by 2 teams. Now we have at 5 o'clock in the morning 3-7 cav on one team ... wtf
On Full Server max 120 players, i counted upto 70 cav max devided by 2 teams ... are you f***** kidding me ...
When the balancing works really good, 3/4th to 4/5th of those are then in one team ... nice what a total clusterfuck.

Some voice in my head keeps on been puzzled how that can be and still having players not seeing a problem.
In my book this is grieving already.
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 12, 2012, 09:19:15 pm »
70 cav? I don't think I've ever counted that much. Most I've ever counted was 25-30 split between two teams and that was open plains. Most of the time there's 10 cav max per team on a 120 person server. I think someone exagerating kinngrimm  :P

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #248 on: April 12, 2012, 09:25:36 pm »
+1
Men ride Peasents die :D
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Chagan_Arslan

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GK_Chagan_Arslan
« Reply #249 on: April 12, 2012, 09:44:49 pm »
+5
there is only one thing that will change current state
if you dont want to see cav killing inf all the time, bring back old lance angle (uuuu cav lobby), no it will not make our scores 80-1, it will make cav duels more interesting again and instead cav focusing on inf it will focus on cav clash more, i used to be a all anti-cav cav player, and there were many more players like this

the irony is that infantry demanded that nerf at the time, and now they are dealing with the consequences

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 12, 2012, 09:58:16 pm »
Rules change. I am simply highlighting that your examples have rules designed to stop them for obvious reasons.

But that's exactly my point!

Although this argumentation applied for my examples, you have rules preventing such behaviour. Which means, that "it helps my team" alone justifys crap.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 12, 2012, 09:58:47 pm »
Yeah cav vs cav is to 50/50 head on clash now. Waaaaay to much risk involved. It's really not worth it unless you can catch an enemy lancer completely unaware from the side. Killing infantry is more interesting, less risky and higher reward. And that's after my experience from respeccing to a lancer for a couple of weeks.

Funny thing is I seem to remember the arguments against reducing the lance angle being passed off by inf as 'zomg cav lobbying nubs just so OPPPPPPP'. And some warnings going out that it may not change that much. Even straight after the nerf occurred it was said that it just made cav even more infantry focused as cav vs cav is not worth it but that didn't stop the whining infantry.

But that's exactly my point!

Although this argumentation applied for my examples, you have rules preventing such behaviour. Which means, that "it helps my team" alone justifys crap.

'it helps my team' alone justifies everything if it's within the rules...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 10:02:31 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2527
  • Infamy: 1830
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 12, 2012, 09:59:37 pm »
start by less killing stragglers, and then the community will hate you less.

What makes you think Byzantium is popular among "community"? Being popular in this game means people fear you, we're (GKs and Byzantiums) in the same boat actually. And I must say that playing as cav (especially 1H cav) isn't that easy which means that people on horses aren't necessarily noobs as many picture them.

At least GK and Byz aren't whiny bitches like Bandits (who's main strategy is "hide in some ruin until everyone is dead and then act like big boys").

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #253 on: April 12, 2012, 10:16:59 pm »
70 cav? I don't think I've ever counted that much. Most I've ever counted was 25-30 split between two teams and that was open plains. Most of the time there's 10 cav max per team on a 120 person server. I think someone exagerating kinngrimm  :P

... It is pretty awesome to see 10 GK on one team focusing on targets.... I don't play enough to see it happen now though.
Since around a month i play everyday 10-16hours again like a long time ago when i finished my gear set. 

On a regular bases i count 20-30 on each team in a timespan of 7-8 hours daily.
Tops i counted around 70 cav overall. I am on the flanks with cav remember... i see you guys most of the times  but i hope you don't see me always i try to make sure of it.
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 12, 2012, 10:18:08 pm »
What makes you think Byzantium is popular among "community"? Being popular in this game means people fear you, we're (GKs and Byzantiums) in the same boat actually. And I must say that playing as cav (especially 1H cav) isn't that easy which means that people on horses aren't necessarily noobs as many picture them.

At least GK and Byz aren't whiny bitches like Bandits (who's main strategy is "hide in some ruin until everyone is dead and then act like big boys").

but...this thread isnt about byz... this is about cav and their reputation, i beleive gks are concerned because they'r cav no?

never said 1h cav is easy... but its a very fun class and very rewarding! its the most backstabby class due to the fact it cant take on 1 on 1 any aware(that is half skilled) opponent. i love to club people's head with an iberian mace ("THUMP", love the sound)