Author Topic: Throwing... could you possibly make it any more useless?  (Read 24962 times)

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
Re: Throwing... could you possibly make it any more useless?
« Reply #165 on: June 27, 2011, 08:53:24 am »
And here is exactly the problem dontgothere

Fixed.

Archery has a longer reload animation which doesn't allow it to do a simple jump backwards and fire like throwing when someone is in melee range.  It also, except for shotgunning randomly, requires you to stop for a second to get a proper reticule.  Throwing is done on the run all the time, no stopping required ever.  Also, throwers can kite/run just as fast as longbow PD archers.  You can also do the thrower equivalent of the strongbow archer build and have more athletics.

Your anti-xbow hate and bias just isn't worth the time to respond to beyond this anymore.

Keep up your lobbying though.

pleb pleb blah blah blah ignoring logic and splooging out drivel

You're forgetting the entire point I made:
WITHIN THE GAME ITSELF ALREADY THERE IS SLOT BALANCE BASED ON LOGIC.  NO SHEATHING PIKES, NO CARRYING 4 2h'd SWORDS, ETC ETC.  THROWING MUST FOLLOW THE SAME LOGIC WHICH MEANS NO HIDING 8 LANCES UP YOUR ASS.

This has nothing to do with a "realism" argument at this point and is simply about how the game itself works currently.  Throwing should not get a special pass to avoid the slot/ammo logic.  Meaning logical ammo counts.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #166 on: June 27, 2011, 09:03:24 am »
THROWING MUST FOLLOW THE SAME LOGIC WHICH MEANS NO HIDING 8 LANCES UP YOUR ASS.

But maybe the thrower is a my old friendgy so he actually COULD hide quite a few...."lances" up his arse ? That's what they usually do and, as we all know: practice makes perfect.  :wink:
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Team_Jacob

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 27, 2011, 09:47:00 am »
I obviously didn't read the post and didn't address any of the points made. I am a dumbass who doesn't know how to have a logical argument. My IQ is half my age, may God have mercy on my soul.

Fixed.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #168 on: June 27, 2011, 09:51:13 am »
I addressed them all.  You're STILL just plugging your ears and screaming "I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!! NANANANANANANANA" and calling it an argument.  DIAF, I'm done with your idiocy.  When you're done being a paste eater then let me know.

Offline dontgothere

• Count
  • Renown: 295
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: DONT_GO_THERE, ARTIEstrongestmanINTHEWORLD, WHERES_MY_CHIPPY, PINGAS, derpyhooves, George_Costanza
« Reply #169 on: June 28, 2011, 06:30:41 pm »
Hi Gorath!  :)  Thanks for writing back!

Yeah, I see your points - and basically I agree.  The only thing I'm not quite sure about is when you say that throwing is especially kiteable - I find I have better luck kiting as an archer than as a thrower, because when I move at all my accuracy turns to shit and all meleers can catch-up to me and backstab me if I turn to run, but I do have only 1 Athletics and 1 WM so maybe it's just my build.  I would agree with the idea of balancing throwing by having it be more kiteable than the alternative ranged builds, though, while being lower in DPS potential.  That keeps us in the middle of the action, instead of back on the sidelines like the archers.

Anyway, I'm going to respec Artie and try a more balanced throwing build, since it's impossible to weigh-in intelligently on the changes if my only experience is with my current build.

I've been playing with some of the lower-tier throwing weapons recently, and I think they're a lot more versatile than it seemed at first -- just like you and the devs were saying.  It just requires a total rethink of how we throwers engage enemies - and it's just hard to figure what role we have in relation to archers, who have farther range, more ammo, and generally do greater damage with each shot.

I withdraw my objections until I do more playtesting.   :D

Thanks Gorath, sorry about all the bashing going on in here!  :P

Offline dontgothere

• Count
  • Renown: 295
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: DONT_GO_THERE, ARTIEstrongestmanINTHEWORLD, WHERES_MY_CHIPPY, PINGAS, derpyhooves, George_Costanza
« Reply #170 on: June 28, 2011, 10:52:51 pm »
+1
Sorry to bump when my post was last, but after spending today playing Artie on both battle and siege, I think I can offer some suggestions!

First of all - I had no idea there was a respec function now, lol.  :P  Respeccing Artie to match the new system makes for a sea change; he's fun to play again now!  It has required some significant modifications to how I outfit and play him, but the new system DOES work.

I can't be a solo guy so much anymore.  I can't get the same kind of K:D I did before.  I have to assist and kite instead of kill.  I simply can't have a build with 14 PT - I have to settle for a little less.  That's fine by me - it works out pretty well in most situations.

I think that Gorath is right about it being a bad idea to add more much more ammo - at least for the high-tier weapons.  Instead of giving throwers more ammo, I think the trick is to help them use what ammo they have more effectively.  I still think that the Jarids/Spears/Javs area is messy and maybe once they've been more greatly differentiated a lot of problems will be resolved.  I also think that damage is about right across the board, now that I'm not suffering such a big penalty.

As for Gorath's comments about kiting, I can confirm that he's pretty much correct - although it's very, very close.  I think that logically kiting SHOULD be the thrower's "pro" against the other "cons" and his advantage over the other ranged builds.  I think that hybrid throwers are spot-on in terms of kiting potential, but that dedicated throwers need just a little more to keep us competitive.

I know nobody asked me, but I have a few suggestions for small changes that I think everyone would be cool with.  :)

1.  PLEASE don't nerf throwing rocks in terms of damage or quantity without giving us something to replace them.  If the devs think that they're "too effective" I would have to disagree - to me they seem just perfect right now, being really only useful to full-throwing builds - but if they HAVE to be toned-down in some way, then please limit that to their projectile speed.  I rarely kill with throwing rocks unless I'm close-enough to headshot peasants, but I do make a lot of assists with them.  They just feel "right" at this level and if you change them then I think the whole throwing roster needs a reorganization to patch the hole that would leave.  These things are invaluable because, unlike the low-damage cutting weapons, they don't just harmlessly bounce off of armor to no effect.  Rocks are supposed to be a nuisance and that they're doing that just great.  When I get kills with them, it's only because I got very very lucky.

2.  The 13*PT=WPFReq system is about right.  I don't think it should be made any higher, but I don't think it HAS to go lower - although naturally I'd welcome it if there are other nerfs in the works.  I say leave this how it is, but...

3. a) Buff the wind-up speed of throwing weapons in general (slightly!)  This way, without increasing our ammo (which, as Gorath has said, could get silly and make for lots of spam) we can at least still output the kind of DPS to keep us on the same level with other assist-oriented roles.  The buff doesn't need to be very big at all, and naturally would be greater for some weapons than others.  Seems like a sensible compromise on the issue of ammo; if we're throwing quicker, it's almost as good as throwing more in total.

and/or

3. b) Decrease the impact of running on the aim reticule by a greater amount, not as a "base" feature but ONLY as a result of WPF and/or of having a higher PT than required for the weapon equipped.  I think this is something that dedicated throwers should have, but not hybrids, again as a way to just slightly increase our longevity/usefulness in the average match.  Again, the change needs only to be a slight percentage - mathematically significant but not necessarily noticable.

4. Less overlap of functionality for throwing weapons.  I can understand why a lot of melee weapons are basically the same, because people will want different "looks" with similar properties; it's a vanity thing.  But we throwers don't care that much about how our weapons look on us - that's why we get rid of them, right?  :)  There are so many axes, so many shurikens, and the jav/jarid/spear cluster -- and it just seems like a lot of opportunities are going to waste because of the redundant items.

As you can see, the basic thrust of these small changes is just to let throwers stay alive a little longer, help their teammates a little more, and to get more use out of the limited quantity of ammunition they do have.

Respeccing made all the difference in the world in terms of how I perceive the balancing changes in the last patch.  I still think there's some tweaking that could be done, but now it's a lot clearer what the devs are trying to do.  I only hope that they keep dedicated throwers in mind when they're trying to keep the hybrids balanced.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 10:56:47 pm by dontgothere »

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #171 on: June 28, 2011, 11:45:21 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Why is this guys' awesomebar not way larger?  :shock:

A clear +1!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Shik

• Duke
  • Renown: 510
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Gilmore Girls
« Reply #172 on: June 29, 2011, 12:05:15 am »
As far as accuracy while moving goes, I'm afraid that is unchangeable as of now. As far as the redundant items go, unfortunately we cannot do much about that either. The rock nerf idea surely, was a joke by Urist, not meant to be taken seriously. I like your idea about the windup speed, it certainly could be raised on some of the weapons.

A little recap on what the current plan is: the wpf per PT penalty is being lowered, the accuracy of weapons will be increased, and all weapons will become 1 slot, and some 1 slot weapons will have their ammo increased by a bit.

Anyways, after playing an agility based throwing type character for a bit, my main observations are mostly that the weapons are a good bit too inaccurate, especially when moving. Damage is also rather bad, but the upside is that I am in fact able to kite and evade my enemies decently. The other day I did also see a thrower character named 'veteran' top the scoreboards for a round or two. The ideal current way to play a thrower at the moment based on my experiences is to assist someone in a fight by chucking something into a distracted foe, so I think the best way to bolster this is to give throwing weapons more precision at close ranges.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 29, 2011, 12:40:42 am »
A little recap on what the current plan is: the wpf per PT penalty is being lowered, the accuracy of weapons will be increased, and all weapons will become 1 slot, and some 1 slot weapons will have their ammo increased by a bit.

This sounds like it would resolve many of the issues the overnerf provided.

However, I would like to see some of the throwing weapons remain 2 slots, but have the ammo increased.

For instance, if the plan was to lower throwing spears to 1 slot with 4 ammo, a better solution would be to keep them 2 slots and have 8 ammo. The overall value per slot would remain the same, but higher tier throwing weapons would become more difficult to use with regular gear setup. This would force throwers to make some sacrifices when going a throwing build.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 29, 2011, 06:51:22 am »
Thanks for listening to my points dontgothere as well as your commentary from your own playtesting.  I probably shouldn't have gotten involved in that back and forth bash-fest for so many pages now, but I'm glad that you at least took a moment to understand where I was coming from.  Much appreciated man, and excellent write-up on your experiences and suggestions for throwing.  I'd back your suggestions fully as they seem quite fair and reasonable.  Well done.

Offline H3ADSH0T

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 29, 2011, 08:26:51 am »
Also make throwing spears about 40 units longer. kthx

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 29, 2011, 08:33:32 am »
Also make throwing spears about 40 units longer. kthx

That would be a throwing lance?

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #177 on: June 29, 2011, 09:53:35 am »
As far as accuracy while moving goes, I'm afraid that is unchangeable as of now. As far as the redundant items go, unfortunately we cannot do much about that either. The rock nerf idea surely, was a joke by Urist, not meant to be taken seriously. I like your idea about the windup speed, it certainly could be raised on some of the weapons.

Anyways, after playing an agility based throwing type character for a bit, my main observations are mostly that the weapons are a good bit too inaccurate, especially when moving. Damage is also rather bad, but the upside is that I am in fact able to kite and evade my enemies decently. The other day I did also see a thrower character named 'veteran' top the scoreboards for a round or two. The ideal current way to play a thrower at the moment based on my experiences is to assist someone in a fight by chucking something into a distracted foe, so I think the best way to bolster this is to give throwing weapons more precision at close ranges.

I think your changes will make some throwing-guys happy.
But perhaps you could make the penalty for shield/throwers stay the same.
I totally hate huscarl/throwers and if they are back with great accuracy+backpadelling i have to cry.

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #178 on: June 29, 2011, 11:29:13 am »
All the cries about nerfed throweres made me roll one. I went moderately-high PD/PS (7-8) with 1H as the melee option and no/minimal shield. Still leveling him up.

My intermediate observation is that he is not bad at all, but requires a different concept of the profession: a thrower is a skirmisher, not a full ranged fighter. This means that he WILL get into melee sooner or later and will do it WILLINGLY. The current wpf requirement per PT is a reasonable balance. It means that when you go 6+ in PT the wpf sink starts to be felt in your melee wpf budget - it is a good thing that prevents just any melee guy to go high PT and dedicated throwers pay for the increased range potential with lowered melee potential (not just transfering a few points from IF to PD to fill it). It means that going full out insane PT will rob you of most of your melee ability (still high PS, but really wpf starved) - again good for the balance.

One question: what exactly is the penalty when your throwing wpf is not high enough? I get the red text message, but does does it mean in practice?

Suggestion: Implement the wpf limitation through the c-rpg.net web interface (& ingame character screen): i.e. do not allow to "+" raise the PT when throwing wpf is insufficient. This will solve all the confusion around this issue and prevent silly mistakes. It will also prevent from not having "enough" wpf because I wear some piece of armor that carries wpf penalties.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 29, 2011, 11:43:45 am »
Mouthnhoof,

In the current patch, you need 14 wpf per point in power throw, after armor encumbrance reduction, in order to have enough wpf. If you do not have enough wpf after encumbrance, your power throw is reduced. For instance

Billy_the_thrower has 100 wpf in throwing after encumbrance  and 10 power throw. Because his wpf is insufficient, he is reduced to 7 power throw. In order to use 10 power throw, he has to have a minimum of 140 wpf in throwing.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol: