Author Topic: C-Rpg Classic  (Read 15205 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: C-Rpg Classic
« Reply #165 on: January 05, 2015, 08:54:05 am »
+3
yeah, i tried playing again today, EU2, 11pm gmt, 40 players on, and server is just unplayable laggy ..

.. usual stuff, people drifting through each other, animations being sped up or cancelled, blocks chiming like half a second after they've hit, blah blah, blah blah, usual lag.
can't play for more than 30 mins without rage quitting when it's like this .. :'(
This has been happening for a very long time, but when I've played in 2014 it's felt even worse than in 2011/2012.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #166 on: January 05, 2015, 10:16:10 am »
+7
cRPG is more fun than Native to me because everyone is unique. They aren't clones with the same stats and slightly different items. I also enjoy cRPG more because Native kinda feels like a waste of time. Winning or losing doesn't matter unless you want personal satisfaction. There is no progression in Native, so after playing 1000 hours you are still just doing the same thing. Although, grinding is basically the same thing....

In short, I like games with progression. You can level up in cRPG, and invest more time in to gain levels while having fun! Plus you get to choose your own unique equipment setup. Native is kinda the same thing, but without any progression. Leaving me with the feeling that my time was wasted. So, I guess its just the illusion cRPG creates that I liked. Oh yeah! The community is great too, no joke.  :wink:

Offline Shemaforash

• Duke
  • Renown: 533
  • Infamy: 169
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shemaforash
« Reply #167 on: January 05, 2015, 02:05:14 pm »
cRPG is more fun than Native to me because everyone is unique. They aren't clones with the same stats and slightly different items. I also enjoy cRPG more because Native kinda feels like a waste of time. Winning or losing doesn't matter unless you want personal satisfaction. There is no progression in Native, so after playing 1000 hours you are still just doing the same thing. Although, grinding is basically the same thing....

In short, I like games with progression. You can level up in cRPG, and invest more time in to gain levels while having fun! Plus you get to choose your own unique equipment setup. Native is kinda the same thing, but without any progression. Leaving me with the feeling that my time was wasted. So, I guess its just the illusion cRPG creates that I liked. Oh yeah! The community is great too, no joke.  :wink:

I already responded to that but it's the same way that you'd perhaps compare Counter-Strike with Battlefield, except you gain a big advantage the more you play cRPG.
You should be punished for having a shitty attitude.

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • Renown: 1168
  • Infamy: 616
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 05, 2015, 03:03:37 pm »
+2

i dont like the grinding bit of crpg; i always thought there should be a hard level cap at 33 or something, but i really like the customisation aspect ... taking ~~20-30 hours of gametime to reach the maximum level is ideal IMO ... gives you a journey through your particular build/style ... you see the same people with their own unique looks etc etc ... best bit of cRPG IMO.

like so ...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 03:17:55 pm by Corsair831 »
I 10/10'd cRPG on moddb.com!

Do your bit for our community and write a 10/10 review for cRPG on http://www.moddb.com/mods/crpg !

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • Renown: 1168
  • Infamy: 616
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 05, 2015, 03:37:20 pm »
Yep, that was my fave bit too.

When i play native it's because i just want to play and enjoy some M&B, i'd like to win the round but it doesnt really matter if i do or dont. For lots of people crpg became about the grind, you want to win the round cos multi, you cant leave cos x5, you might rage quit because x1. When i played crpg the most it was when i was just playing DTV every night with my mates and didnt care about the grind, when i got into Strat etc it all became about retiring 16 times for max exp then getting a high level and grinding as much as possible. It just stopped being fun, set a grind target of lvl 34 but after i reached it i stopped playing for months without even testing my new 45 Str.

i dont think i ever grinded in crpg; i played strat because i enjoyed it, i always leave on x5's .. dunno, never been in to the grindy mindset really :P .. i get how some people do get into it though .. "got to have that better gear" etc :D
I 10/10'd cRPG on moddb.com!

Do your bit for our community and write a 10/10 review for cRPG on http://www.moddb.com/mods/crpg !

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #170 on: January 05, 2015, 03:58:00 pm »
Satisfaction from finally grinding out X goal is pretty common in games, mmo's depend on this. Its not very uncommon, i do enjoy me some grinding from time to time.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Simon_Belmont

• Baron
  • Renown: 82
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Belmonts and many Warhammer refferencing names
« Reply #171 on: January 06, 2015, 07:32:55 pm »
+5
Wow, I definately learned a couple things thanks to this thread.

I recently played Native again, after such a long time. After playing for a couple hours for 2 days I found out that even if I sometimes find cRPG broken and stupid (sometimes even rageinducing, why I trashtalk so much in cRPG) I just want to go back to it whenever I play any other Warband MP PvP mod. Like someone above me said I like recognizing players because of their equipment, I like seeing people try weapons that don't get much love and being successful with them, I like knowing what I can expect from a player I have in front of me and making the most out of the equipment and the build I have against his. In Native I get none of that.

In every single map I took a spear and a shield and hoplited my way through, because people there suck at downblocking. Every weapon basically feels the same, polestaggering is stupid, armor clutching renders some 1 handers completely useless (Swadians 1 handed swords vs high armor). And of course, if you can't get past the first line of archers in Siege you are dead. So I'm forced to change to archer or I roll with tons of javelins and end up in close combat with a 2 hander that kills my soft body in 1 swipe (arrow rain support). And of course, the scoreboard looks no different from the cRPG one, but at least in cRPG the 2 handing hero that topscores can manually block, unlike in Native. And cRPG has no teamwork? lol Have you played Native? There's 0 teamwork, let alone melee support. Players just watch you die overpowered by numbers. And yet, I had fun. Yes, I was sick and tired of all the above but I found myself enjoying certain weapon types as I had never enjoyed them before in cRPG. Lifes are shorter but I usually kill more people in them.

I also tried Rome at War. I have to say, I had tons of fun. The Dev. team and clan members were really nice to a newcomer like me, gave me directions, weapons (really, my shield bugged and didn't spawn and a clanmember of Athenai gave me his inmediately) and told me when they events took place. The combat in that mod is also pretty fun, if you enjoy shield battles. Loads of pokey spears that can hit you from miles away and really short swords for very personal fights. Cav is almost non existant but can still wreck through formations if players are not aware and skirmishers (throwers) feel really satisfying due to the long wind-up animations which mean you can't just spam them with a guy chasing you. Archers are not so efficient but it is to be expected. The maps are nothing spectacular but it was enjoyable. 

tl:dr = I still think cRPG gives me the experience of what Warband was meant to be like, without the ugly cloth armor everywhere, the clumsy and unsuccessful teammates never letting off their RMB when playing 1h. + shield etc. and with tons of customization, skillful players (debatable for some), nice maps... But I was still able to enjoy Native and other MP mods regardless because the combat in Warband is just too fun. So I don't understand why all the hate against Native or cRPG come from. Each recreate their own thing = Peasant Wars (Native) vs Hero Wars. I enjoy cRPG more because I get used to my range and damage but Native is just as fun in another way. It's like comparing Warhammer 40k and Warhammer Fantasy Battle.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 12:18:12 pm by Simon_Belmont »
You didn't read the fine print on the description of the HA skill. By using ranged on horse you willingly give up your right to empathy, for good reason.
I'm gone for a few months due to work and classes, hoping the mod isn't dead when I come back. Take care, all of you.

Offline Switchtense

• King
  • Renown: 1137
  • Infamy: 137
  • poking you where the sun dont shine!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns, BIRD CLAN BEST CLAN!
  • Game nicks: All sorts of Switch's
  • IRC nick: Switchtense
« Reply #172 on: January 06, 2015, 07:40:13 pm »
The customisation was definitely the best part.

I loved how I would run around the battlefield and recognise 80% of the people just by looking at the gear they use.

I always tried to stick to one certain outfit to get recognised as well, but after a few months I would always get bored of the armour and create a new set :D

However, the grindy bit was not too bad. I never went for looms or gold, that's why I always gave that shit away and lived on the breadline =D But I really enjoyed the moment of reaching the next level getting closer to finalising that build you have been working on for so long.
For all the non-believers, look no further than this thread for proof that while strat battles are won/lost in NA3/EU3, strat wars are won and lost on the forums.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 1058
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 06, 2015, 08:15:53 pm »
Love when newmy old friends share their cRPG love stories :lol:

Offline Simon_Belmont

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 06, 2015, 11:15:08 pm »
Love when newmy old friends share their cRPG love stories :lol:

Funny coming from a edgy drama queen like yourself. Or did that hit too close to home, Leshma?
You didn't read the fine print on the description of the HA skill. By using ranged on horse you willingly give up your right to empathy, for good reason.
I'm gone for a few months due to work and classes, hoping the mod isn't dead when I come back. Take care, all of you.

Offline Shemaforash

• Duke
  • Renown: 533
  • Infamy: 169
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shemaforash
« Reply #175 on: January 06, 2015, 11:19:23 pm »
meh, i understand where you're coming from but i'd never play anything but battle, duels or scrims in native. I'd rather play anything else than siege.
You should be punished for having a shitty attitude.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2982
  • Infamy: 2909
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 07, 2015, 12:42:40 am »
Funny coming from a edgy drama queen like yourself. Or did that hit too close to home, Leshma?

Actually, I can't stand shit that comes out of my keyboard these past few weeks. But current cRPG makes me so sad and I refuse to quit or take a break. Used to seeing this mod in much better shape with thousands of active players. This literally breaks my heart.

After today episode if I had shutdown cRPG button at my disposal, would certainly end its misery once for good.

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #177 on: January 07, 2015, 12:47:50 am »
+2
Actually, I can't stand shit that comes out of my keyboard these past few weeks.
you are not alone
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 02:13:07 am by Rebelyell »

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #178 on: January 07, 2015, 01:09:43 am »
+2
Actually, I can't stand shit that comes out of my keyboard these past few weeks. But current cRPG makes me so sad and I refuse to quit or take a break. Used to seeing this mod in much better shape with thousands of active players. This literally breaks my heart.

After today episode if I had shutdown cRPG button at my disposal, would certainly end its misery once for good.

If anything you are just attempting to kill it further with your constant depressing posts.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Simon_Belmont

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 07, 2015, 12:13:31 pm »
+1

Fair enough. But why are you so grumpy about it? You don't even play the mod anymore, do you? I think I see a pattern here. People leave, bash the mod and then hope they can forget about it before they miss it. If it dies, just let it die, but try to enjoy yourself while you can. Maybe it's because I am technically a newmy old friend that I can still enjoy cRPG, because I don't know any better. But has the mod really changed that much that you CAN'T enjoy yourself? I just can't wrap my head around that.

And to whoever compared cRPG's playerbase and Native's playerbase, that's not fair. Of course people will eventually go back to their roots. Native is easy to pick up and there are no significant updates or balance issues to fix. That's why mods take time and effort to polish, because they want to try something else. But, like everything, their novelty wears off eventually.