Author Topic: Thoughts on 4.0 Archery Nerf and Class Counters  (Read 11159 times)

Offline HappyPhantom

• Earl
  • Renown: 440
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew pew, your face!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul, Always Take the Shot.
  • Game nicks: HappyPhantom, Marys of the Sea, Ancient of Mu Mu.
Re: Thoughts on 4.0 Archery Nerf and Class Counters
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2014, 05:51:03 am »
+2
I can understand accuracy reductions to a degree, mostly for lower tier bows, but it still doesn't seem like you have anything to gain by doing so. If your build is pointlessly accurate, why not just spend the excess WM elsewhere?

I guess re accuracy, I feel I've been indoctrinated to always take as much WPF as I can as archer (because of weight penalties etc etc. speed, accuracy etc). It's true this is something worth thinking about I guess.. but, having some extra WPF in 1h... meeeeh, I could take it or leave it personally. Spreading my WPF doesn't help my archery be better (i.e. deadlier).

The main reason weight was increased is that we were aware that we were allowing archers with 3 and 4 PD to get significantly more athletics than what they had previously. This means, to keep kiting from getting out of hand, as a precautionary measure, increasing weight is the most sound option.

Personally, I haven't really been paying attention to my speed differential post patch to notice what affect the change in weight has had. Has it been restored to what it was previous to the patch that reduced weight? If so, I guess I can live with that.

I fully understand upkeep is an issue for many players. Upkeep without a doubt needs looked at. San and I spoke about it shortly a few days ago and likely this will be a part of whatever the next set of changes are.

Nice.

I think I missed something as I'm not really sure what you're getting at with the pierce -> melee argument.

NVM. ;)

gain 3 levels - 3 more agility and 1 more athletics, same with every other player including the shielders chasing them down and the cavalry getting 1 more riding riding foot archers down.  1 count it 1 more athletics is not significantly more Exaggeration like in your previous posts bragging about how well you did as archer playing not to support your team but to maximize score simply to prove your already preconceived notions about archery, while ignoring all the maps you did poorly and how much your melee skills played a role in your performance.

Actually a good point, pretend it wasn't made by Kesh, lol.
"Darklands" - The greatest game you never played: now on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/327930 | http://www.darklands.net/index.shtml
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Jeade

• Duke
  • Renown: 569
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player
  • Well Caleb's a liar.
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
  • Game nicks: MAGA_Jeade, Gregory_McFin, Frat_Lion
  • IRC nick: Jeade
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2014, 05:52:43 am »
+2
(click to show/hide)

I would say yes, primarily the issue would be with unloomed arrows.
The simplest revision would be to increase arrow count by 5 or so and then give each rank higher an additional arrow and a little damage.
Increasing the weight as the rank increases from 8 to 9.5 is just... I don't even.

While I would agree that RNG is a terrible system, the reticle accurately represents the possible deviation of the arrow from the center point.
I was able to accurately hit targets with 160 wpf pre-patch in 40-50 body armor despite the reticle being wider just because, even at longer ranges, an enemy's body would still take up 70-80% of that reticle.
Just playing around in-game right now with 155, getting headshots at range is much, much easier. At least before, players were less likely to get slapped with that headshot multiplier.
I can understand why you'd be wary of anyone using the "trust me because I've been playing for x amount of time," but seriously, I wouldn't trust myself balancing two-handers because I haven't played it nearly enough to know the mechanics as well as many other players.
There are quite a few of us who have/had been playing as archers for years and experienced each and every patch who would love to weigh in and would know the class much better than non-archers.
What I'm trying to get at is you've experienced one side of this extensively: the pointy side of the arrow.
There's a bunch of us who have been experiencing the other side extensively as well and should be trusted (somewhat, anyway) as reliable sources with the class.

And yes, 10PD. Got mixed up with throwing as someone was talking about their super gay throwing build in TS.

What are your thoughts--or is it possible--to add a cap on athletics if a player has a point or more in the PD skill?
This would work SO much better and solve the issue immediately.

we should have san go on na1 with a shield and 1her go 20-2 every round and it will become very clear by your standards of determining item balance that 1hers damage and speed is way too high and should be cut by 25% across the board.

While I don't think the "tone" of your posts are anywhere near conducive to your argument, Kesh, I do agree with this bit.
I'm not sure I understand how players like San can be ignored, as, if class potential is something to be considered, shouldn't 1h weapon speed also be reduced?
Shit, with my ping, there's rarely enough reaction time (not on my end but due to my own ping) to get a block up.
Often, I'm already hit by the swing before the blade is even coming in my direction.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 06:00:58 am by Jeade »

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2014, 06:04:35 am »
+1
If ath could have been limited based on PD to prevent kiting why was it not done years ago?  Would have saved a lot of grief/rage/expletives directed at the pewpew class

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2014, 06:33:14 am »
If ath could have been limited based on PD to prevent kiting why was it not done years ago?  Would have saved a lot of grief/rage/expletives directed at the pewpew class

Nerf mobility across the board.  Easier to implement and more balanced than just ranged.  Reducing Ha would be nothing to the god-send of reducing backpedaling s-key heroes.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2014, 06:48:38 am »
+1
If the issue is kiting, cap the run speed. If a character has a point in PD, cap athletics at 6. Problem solved.
Don't destroy archery for everyone.

My setup is horn bow, 1 quiver of barbed arrows and longsword or bec

My build is:
Level 37 (110 099 555 xp)

Strength: 18
Agility: 27
Hit points: 57
Skills to attributes: 6
Ironflesh: 2
Power Strike: 6
Shield: 0
Athletics: 9
Riding: 0
Horse Archery: 0
Power Draw: 6
Power Throw: 0
Weapon Master: 9
One Handed: 20
Two Handed: 99
Polearm: 99
Archery: 160
Crossbow: 1
Throwing: 1

Tell me please, what a reason you have to propose a hard cap to my mobility?

Offline Big_Nat_Mouth

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2014, 06:52:50 am »
+5
If you guys dont do someting wise about the archery being raped; I'm gonna swap my skip-the-fun has my main caracter, witch is:
Shielder/crossbow, 9 ath, 5 pw strk, 8 wpnm, 6 shld, and 4 ir flsh.
This (in my position and opinion) is the gayest build I ever created.
This is my warning to Crpg community. If you dont do anything about this archery nerf, I unlesh the beast! lol

Sersly, I think the problem is the mix of new poweful builds, blend with the fact that archers struggle more then ever to be effective against the new OP mass of players. Archery isnt match for the mass right now. Me and Jead made some tests in a dead NA server (siege, what else could it be?!? lol) and what we came up with was has worst as I tought. I have a pur archer built (21/21, 7 pw draw, 7 wep mast, 161 of archery.) With a long bow and botkin arrows. it took 4 shots in the body to kill a medium/light armor agi build player (Jead skip-the-fun) that had 6 ironflesh and 45 body armor (BTW 6 ironflesh is the average now that everybody have so much skill points that they dont know what to do with them, except for archers, that still struggle to be effective for the team now that they have half ammo cuted and that they dont do any damage at all). And the worst is that with only 41 or 42 head armor, he manage to take 2 shots in the HEAD before dying, and I shot him with the most powerful stuff and build humanly possible for an archer.
This is unaceptable.
The other thing (witch is not major but personaly make me freaking rage) Is that the new balance on bow stats killed the Rus Bow. It's totaly useless now. Same damage then the normal Bow, but the Bow is faster, cheaper, lighter, and they have the exacte same damage. The 4 accuracy stats difference between the 2 bows, doesnt change a shit at all on the gameplay, as soon as you get over 130 archery wp points. So you guys killed the really balanced, skillfull and sexy Rus Bow. 
This new patch is finaly burying the game, with no chance of playing siege, rang or play in team, because now everyone wants to play the hero on battle with fuag fucking long mauls (witch I really like to use with my alt, but its soo OP and easy to use lol).
Sorry about this negative comment, but the virtuous archer in me had to talk real! SHEERS MATE!

Big-Nat-Mouth

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2014, 07:11:43 am »
I guess re accuracy, I feel I've been indoctrinated to always take as much WPF as I can as archer (because of weight penalties etc etc. speed, accuracy etc). It's true this is something worth thinking about I guess.. but, having some extra WPF in 1h... meeeeh, I could take it or leave it personally. Spreading my WPF doesn't help my archery be better (i.e. deadlier).
I didn't mean WPF so much as the WM skillpoints, although putting them in melee is certainly an option. Why not PS? Why not IF? Why not convert the skills to attributes to allow for higher athletics/PD?
Personally, I haven't really been paying attention to my speed differential post patch to notice what affect the change in weight has had. Has it been restored to what it was previous to the patch that reduced weight? If so, I guess I can live with that.
It depends on how you changed your build. If you got 1 or more athletics, you're actually slightly faster than you were previously(see WaltF4's post in the link below).

Actually a good point, pretend it wasn't made by Kesh, lol.
Except that it's an under-considered point that falls apart upon inspection. It's true that you only get 1 attribute and 1 skill point per level, but it's only 3 more levels to the "haves." For most characters, including the STFs, it's 5 levels. With 5 levels you can convert 2 skill points to 1 attribute allowing for 6 agi, and the 2nd athletics. Furthermore, the difference two athletics makes when you're stacked with weight can easily be the difference between being caught and being able to kite, as WaltF4 showed in his weight vs athletics comparisons here.

While I would agree that RNG is a terrible system, the reticle accurately represents the possible deviation of the arrow from the center point.
I was able to accurately hit targets with 160 wpf pre-patch in 40-50 body armor despite the reticle being wider just because, even at longer ranges, an enemy's body would still take up 70-80% of that reticle.
Just playing around in-game right now with 155, getting headshots at range is much, much easier. At least before, players were less likely to get slapped with that headshot multiplier.
If you can hit a character's head, you deserve to be rewarded for it. If your opponent is only 70-80% of the reticule, then a perfectly aimed shot will miss 20-30% of the time, simply due to RNG. Certainly seems like a bit much to me, but maybe we're thinking about difference distance shots.

I can understand why you'd be wary of anyone using the "trust me because I've been playing for x amount of time," but seriously, I wouldn't trust myself balancing two-handers because I haven't played it nearly enough to know the mechanics as well as many other players.
There are quite a few of us who have/had been playing as archers for years and experienced each and every patch who would love to weigh in and would know the class much better than non-archers.
What I'm trying to get at is you've experienced one side of this extensively: the pointy side of the arrow.
There's a bunch of us who have been experiencing the other side extensively as well and should be trusted (somewhat, anyway) as reliable sources with the class.
Sure, my point though, was that although it's likely that someone obtained his knowledge from his experience, I'm far less concerned with how he obtained it, than what the knowledge he can provide actually is.

What are your thoughts--or is it possible--to add a cap on athletics if a player has a point or more in the PD skill?
This would work SO much better and solve the issue immediately.
We did the athletics cap thing before, actually. It was a dynamic cap that shik made and it lasted for about a day. The problem with it, is that it affects all builds, not just the agility focused ones and the effects are larger than simply adding weight which can more easily have its effect reduced(dropping your bow). It goes back to wanting to maintain a high degree of player choice and customization, something we saw many players concerned with due to the previous horse requirement increases.

While I don't think the "tone" of your posts are anywhere near conducive to your argument, Kesh, I do agree with this bit.
I'm not sure I understand how players like San can be ignored, as, if class potential is something to be considered, shouldn't 1h weapon speed also be reduced?
Shit, with my ping, there's rarely enough reaction time (not on my end but due to my own ping) to get a block up.
Often, I'm already hit by the swing before the blade is even coming in my direction.
No one said San needs to be ignored though. Both San and myself had discussed the ridiculous potency of his build. He did actually make a few proposals to nerf the Liuyedao, but they were ultimately shot down as it created poor balance with the scimitars and other 1h swords. Personally, I was hesitant to push the topic of San being nearly impossible for me to block, due to my high ping. Recently I had an average of about 75 ping to the NA servers. That to me, is a little high to be making changes to address the potency of a single build/class simply because a few people with higher then average ping have issues, not to mention few people seemed to be posting about his speed. Most posts on the topic of 1hers were either about the 1h thrust or how underpowered the class was.

(click to show/hide)
God, how did we get stuck with this verbose shithead fucking up this mod as head item balancer????
Yes Kesh, end your essay by calling someone else verbose. Classy.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Jeade

• Duke
  • Renown: 569
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player
  • Well Caleb's a liar.
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
  • Game nicks: MAGA_Jeade, Gregory_McFin, Frat_Lion
  • IRC nick: Jeade
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2014, 07:13:32 am »
+1
(click to show/hide)

Pardon his French; he is French.
One correction though: I had 7 IF.
Either way, the difference was negligable between a MW Rus Bow with MW Tatar arrows and a Long Bow with Bodkins.
As soon as my unloomed body armor went above 50, it was taking five shots in the chest.
Everyone is really tanky due to the extra points people have put in STR and IF.
I'd almost be willing to say that, had the level changes stayed where they were before the patch, the archery revisions on damage may have been reasonable.

Offline Big_Nat_Mouth

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2014, 07:23:35 am »
+2
hehe lol Jead, good call on the french... but yeah forgot to tell about the 5 shots... its fucking retard! Could you imagine with a nomade bow on a plated strg build?!?!? If you only have 20 arrows, at least it should not take 23 shots to make a kill, I mean, its not even decent, its total bullshit come on guys, y'all know it. :/

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2014, 08:30:12 am »
    @Tydus - Response highly appreciated (note zero condescension or sarcasm, genuinely appreciated.)

http://forum.melee.org/suggestions-corner/let's-talk-about-horse-ranged/

Johammeth has very succinctly described the unintended consequences of the changes to HR and archery.

I'll just give you lists.

I can live with with;

Ammo reduction

Horse nerf

Things that kill it dead;

Damage cap

Serious cut to the power of the mid and low tier bows.
  • I had already limited my damage output pre patch and wasn't min maxing so it hit me awfully hard. I do understand though that +3 hornbow with +3 bodkins in the hands of Namo/Suuper/Kojiro et al was causing a lot of angst among a portion of the community.

Solutions to make the class playable and less risk averse/easy to kill

• Change the Horse Archer perk from 6agi per level to 12
  • Uncap the damage
  • Increase the power output of the low/mid tier bows (that are horse usable) 3-4 points- match that with a large cut to accuracy, and I mean large. None of this two points here, two points there shit, I'm talking 10-15 hell maybe even 20.
  • Lower the PD req on the Nomad Bow/Tartar bow/Horn Bow by 1
  • Decrease missile speed for nomad/Tartar/Horn bow
  • Make the short bow unusable on horse back
  • Change the loom benefit for arrows to side step increases in ammo, instead make it decrease weight and add 1-2 power

----

Another idea is buffing horse HP but giving range a large bonus against horses. It also insensitivities archers to risk firing their limited ammunition at (probably) a fast moving target. It also boost inter-class play.

Potential bow stats

Nomad
25c
87 accuracy
37 Missile speed
1PD

Tartar
23c
92 accuracy
38 Missile Speed
2PD

Horn Bow
22c
96 accuracy
40 missile speed
4PD

Yumi
22c
36 missile speed
6pd

Perhaps we could just test dramatic or incremental changes on the nomad bow and tartar.

What I'm going for with this is that to land shots of value you'll have to get arse close to the fight all the time and stand a pretty good chance of getting blitzed and by pushing the PD down you deny the HA dmg potential. You cut the shit out of accuracy to push down the effect of the WM. Yes we'll end up with more ride but we already ride dainty horses that fall over to a light breeze and if two shots from a 10PD long bow anywhere to the horses or a head shot blow it into last week then all the better.

Can we have it more suicidal charge of the light brigade and less US drone program plox

For your viewing pleasure.

Errol Flynn in - CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE

[/list]
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 08:51:13 am by FRANK_THE_TANK »
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Sharpe

• Duke
  • Renown: 619
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • I like Sheep.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wales
  • Game nicks: Sharpe, Llewllyn
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2014, 12:44:39 pm »
+1
To be honest with you, I become very hesitant when someone tells me "I've played x forever and have more experience with it than most anyone else". The only thing I care about, is how sound someone's argument is on its own merits, absent any grandfathering of supposed authority.

If I do remember correctly, when Finnian was talking to you about a shield changes over steam, you said, indirect quote here "I've been playing shielder for quite some time now".  And while yes, having a sound argument is neccesary to get your point across, your experience also matters too. For that is a part of the "Human element", and also how it works in the world outside of c-RPG.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 12:48:47 pm by Sharpe »

“I like the cover," he said. "Don't Panic. It's the first helpful or intelligible thing anybody's said to me all day.”

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2014, 12:49:07 pm »
[...]
Take a look at the cost of running around with x2 stacks of bodkins and a longbow. That's why I complain about the ineffectiveness of low tier bows. I haemorrhage $$ using that (high end gear) all the time. But using low tier to save money is basically not worth it because of damage nerf. Compare cost / damage of low tier 2 hand vs low tier bows, and tell me that's balanced.
So, instead people paying upkeep for high tier armors should pay for "not working protection" but being damaged by a tiny 4PD bow?
When I play in peasant gear with a wooden stick, I don't expect to be able to do damage to a tin can. But you want the archery equivalent to kill? You wanna tell me that would be balanced?
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline AwesomeHail

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • Blaze it nerds
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries.
  • Game nicks: Hail, lol, Kankerhoer etc
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2014, 01:07:24 pm »
+1
When this patch aired, me; as crossbow/1h (before retire) seemingly noticed some kind of difference. I landed way less shots and it took way more to kill somoene (with +3 heavy crossbow or +3 crossbow with +3 steel bolts)

Before the patch, I often played with a clanmate of mine, who was shielder, he protected me from arrows while reloading, thus i could shoot HA's and other archers as long as i had bolts. 2 to 3 arrows in the chest from an archer could kill me easily, even though i had +3 black lamellar and 3 IF, and I would need 1-3 shots to kill an archer. after the patch i needed 2-5 shots to kill anyone (exception of headshots)

teamwork is key, and it's possible without using TS, thats where the Battalion system and Commander system are for.

nice post Jaede :)
Your binary primitive low capacity of thinking is not relevant.

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2014, 01:37:21 pm »
+3
So, instead people paying upkeep for high tier armors should pay for "not working protection" but being damaged by a tiny 4PD bow?
When I play in peasant gear with a wooden stick, I don't expect to be able to do damage to a tin can. But you want the archery equivalent to kill? You wanna tell me that would be balanced?

If your Wooden stick will eat 2 slots, cost 4k gold, weigh 10 kg, but still doing less damage to opponent than practice dagger - will you call it balance?

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2014, 01:40:57 pm »
+2

A short bow, or nowmad bow or tartar bow is not a stick.

I've got a 45agi 15ath char with a meat clever and once I catch up to a lightly armed peasant I can rip them up. I one shoted a dude with the same build on the Chinese server the other day.

Using are a tartar bow, with tartar arrows I landed a head shot (from horse back) on the same time of build and the 15dmg cap saved him.

Off my horse with my pure archer build (8PD) I went through every bow and arrow combination and until I hit the bow even mid/low mid armoured people were more than tanking the hits, the hits were thudding regularly. That shit be fucked up.

You can get kills with the spiked club, Arys does all the time. That thing with a bunch of PS behind it will rip shit up. I was using the light spied club on the Aust server with 1wpf and 7PS and it was tearing heads off left and right. The two handed axe is the same, totally usable and deadly weapon. The scythe, that thing is just fucked up in the right hands Big Bird used to be able to dominate the server with that fucking thing.

Every weapon I just mentioned is cheaper than the short bow. Ask yourself this question, are the bows really peasant weapons? Just because on a list there are some down the bottom, does that mean they shouldn't have capacity to cause harm.

Also a total side not but I used to run around the Aus server with just the wooden stick a bunch PS and slap people around like a mother fucker, including people in plate. ToD did the same on NA I remember following him around laughing haughtily.

Am I asking for the short bow to knock holes in 79 points of Lordly armour? Nope, not at all. But it should have some level of impact with the right build and arrows on say 40-60 points of armour. My experience with an unloomed short bow with unloomed bodkins was funny, very funny but also totally broken. Once people were any further away than in my face I had little hope of causing anything other than amusement.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(