Do you agree with those changes?

Yes
89 (62.7%)
No
34 (23.9%)
Yes, but... (insert you opinion)
19 (13.4%)

Total Members Voted: 142

Author Topic: How to nerf archery, without destroying it.  (Read 15732 times)

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
Re: How to nerf archery, without destroying it.
« Reply #195 on: December 26, 2013, 11:02:57 pm »
That's a bit simplistic. Even if the goal of the game mode becomes flag control or something else, it won't change the fact that to get to that objective you will have to kill people, as well as to prevent the other team to control it. In other words, changing the gamemode will not remove the need to damage and kill some enemy players.

Right, but it becomes way less important, that's why I wrote negligible.

Even if we leave out any balance discussion, I think we can gree that the biggest problem of rangem combat is the amount of ranged players. And I don't think a nerf would be a suitable means to lower the motivation to play an archer. In theory, yes, I agree, making something worse lowers its attractivity. But cRPG reality has proved us differently.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #196 on: December 27, 2013, 02:31:39 am »
Aaaand back to reality..

What measures do we have?  (We don't have much beyond buffs/nerfs/changes to stats at this point)

Buffing archer melee (Actually it is just buffing archers.) -Tried, doesn't work.

IMO we have to make the class as lame to play, as the lameness it imposes on others.  (For Archers and Xbow: Make them weaker aka Nerfs ffs)

The same can be said about all classes, but also in the positive sense:

Make classes fun to play, that creates fun for others.

Only then will we see a game that is most enjoyable for most. A simple Kantian ethic..

Imo, if you want to kill people in this game without dealing with manual melee combat, you should be a freakin master at what you do.  Nerf ranged weapons to oblivion but increase headshot damage, accuracy and speed i.ex. Nerfing helmets could be done, would reward everyone that has enough skill to go for the head, melee and ranged too.

IMO Shielder should be weaker than 2h/pole, as you don't have to block.
There should not be an easy choice to just grab the most expensive 2h/pole and armor and go to town. There should be real dilemmas which there are not.
Cav should truly be high risk/high reward. Now it has the lowest risk.
Ranged is incredibly lame to die from. Should be equally lame to play.

All of this could and can be done by item stat adjustments.

anyway.. I guess you all know my positions on all of this by now.. I'm also a bit wasted so sorry to digress..
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 02:37:59 am by Thomek »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #197 on: December 27, 2013, 02:36:50 am »
Just remove the pierce dmg on bodkins arrows all rdy. That´s what started the whole range fucktard fest in the first place, and made everyone a Jambi cause you dont need to relay on doing headshot or precise shots, just spam spam spam....

I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 27, 2013, 02:43:31 am »
Buffing archer melee (Actually it is just buffing archers.) -Tried, doesn't work.

When?

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 27, 2013, 02:58:45 am »
When?

0 slot Well decent 1h´s, lets your spam with 2 sets of bodkin arrows while being able to fend for yourself with a good 1h.

Offcourse in your case your screwed either way, since well... you know  :lol:

I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Adamar

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 27, 2013, 03:04:04 am »
I know that untill the weight nerf gets reversed and archers can fight again, such measures are meaningless. The result speaks for itself.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
« Reply #201 on: December 27, 2013, 03:15:49 am »
Drop your bow and arrows, like good xbow players do. Whats the problem?

I drop my throwing if I'm in for a though melee, many shielders drop their shield..

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Adamar

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 27, 2013, 03:24:09 am »
Drop your bow and arrows, like good xbow players do. Whats the problem?

Losing my class? You've read it before, when the enemy comes for you it's likely you'll lose the area where you dropped your gear, once more of them come. That can't be a serious suggestion.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 27, 2013, 03:36:36 am »
+1
I know that untill the weight nerf gets reversed and archers can fight again, such measures are meaningless. The result speaks for itself.

Asking to be able to kite like you used too, makes you look like a noob...

What archers where able to do, when they could kite was op like hell....

Adapt an use the excellent 1h´s like everyone else..

Also there are alot of good archers that does excellent with the 0 slot 1h´s Its not the rest of us fault that u suck at melee

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
« Reply #204 on: December 27, 2013, 03:39:13 am »
+2
Losing my class? You've read it before, when the enemy comes for you it's likely you'll lose the area where you dropped your gear, once more of them come. That can't be a serious suggestion.

Dave does it, Fried does it, Blackbow does it/did it, Bagge does it.. and so it goes... If you want to be PURE archer with no melee wpf, pay the price!

Offline Adamar

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 27, 2013, 04:59:59 am »
Dave does it, Fried does it, Blackbow does it/did it, Bagge does it.. and so it goes... If you want to be PURE archer with no melee wpf, pay the price!

Actually I spammed blackbow dead quite recently despite his longsword and never saw him drop anything. What he does is spawn with no bow on ocasion, and archers aren't supposed to do stuff like that. And crossbows don't count ffs! They actually have something of a melee build. And I do have wpf, again, since apparently you didn't read, mobility is the problem. I don't see the logic in paying a price for being nerfed. Supposedly balance doesn't work like that.

Asking to be able to kite like you used too, makes you look like a noob...

What archers where able to do, when they could kite was op like hell....

Adapt an use the excellent 1h´s like everyone else..

Also there are alot of good archers that does excellent with the 0 slot 1h´s Its not the rest of us fault that u suck at melee

I used to kite? Did I? Then what the hell was I doing with a mace and scale armor? A build I had to drop because that fucking stupid weight nerf made sure I couldn't use it properly anymore? Why on earth would people with your builds need archers to be weaker at melee?

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #206 on: December 27, 2013, 10:03:22 am »
A simple Kantian ethic..
IMO Shielder should be weaker than 2h/pole, as you don't have to block. nerf shield
There should not be an easy choice to just grab the most expensive 2h/pole and armor and go to town. There should be real dilemmas which there are not. nerf heavy 2h/pole
Cav should truly be high risk/high reward. Now it has the lowest risk. nerf cav
Ranged is incredibly lame to die from. Should be equally lame to play. nerf ranged

I can live with your "nerf everything but my class" rants but dragging Kant into this is pushing it. Claiming that only shieldless melee is fun for everyone and thus is the only class that has a right to exist seems to be more A.H. than Kant.

Offline Dalhi

• Earl
  • Renown: 415
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dalhi
« Reply #207 on: December 27, 2013, 11:24:57 am »
You can think of possible 1000 nerfs to ranged but it will not fix the problems that we encounter, it's just badly designed.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 27, 2013, 11:51:45 am »
+2
IMO we have to make the class as lame to play, as the lameness it imposes on others.  (For Archers and Xbow: Make them weaker aka Nerfs ffs)

Make classes fun to play, that creates fun for others.

I agree, drop your katana.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
« Reply #209 on: December 27, 2013, 01:33:27 pm »
I can live with your "nerf everything but my class" rants but dragging Kant into this is pushing it. Claiming that only shieldless melee is fun for everyone and thus is the only class that has a right to exist seems to be more A.H. than Kant.

:D And I hoped no one would draw the lines...lol  :mrgreen:

But on a serious note.. This is actually how I see it, although I'm fully aware that this is not something that will happen! The "Classes" that we have should give rewards according to the effort, skill and brains involved in playing them.. Or we will always see this unbalance once the skill level hardens and good players actually start playing and abusing their classes power.