Do you agree with those changes?

Yes
89 (62.7%)
No
34 (23.9%)
Yes, but... (insert you opinion)
19 (13.4%)

Total Members Voted: 142

Author Topic: How to nerf archery, without destroying it.  (Read 15705 times)

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: How to nerf archery, without destroying it.
« Reply #165 on: December 19, 2013, 02:20:23 am »
I'd say more cowardice.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
« Reply #166 on: December 19, 2013, 01:55:45 pm »
Being a totally bure archer with 198 wpf is letting me to shoot really fast with longbow with really nice accuracy (still far away from red dot), i need this speed to be able to shoot agaist HA and pew-pew archers :)
Archer forever :D

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 343
  • Infamy: 1137
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 19, 2013, 02:20:25 pm »
I also mentioned bow rebalance, in case you didn't read the whole thing. Currenly, those twat bows are too powerful. They need to be nerfed.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 19, 2013, 02:30:33 pm »
chicken! chickeeen!

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 19, 2013, 03:20:57 pm »
+2
WARNING: TL;DR spoiler here, discussing why history should not be used as a measure of balance:
(click to show/hide)

Warning: complicated technical diagrams of the materials and tactics in use by archers in melee.
Step 1:
(click to show/hide)
Step 2:
(click to show/hide)

Now, we all know the joke horse bows are rediculously overpowered. Their damage to speed to accuracy ratio is absolute rubbish and makes the top tier bows a disadvantage to use and a stylistic choice ingame which will make the use LESS effective but at least won't look retarded, and historically archers can achieve that speed of shooting with no accuracy if taking arrows from a quiver, or can achieve that speed, accuracy and power while shooting arrows they are holding in their hand: you cannot hold 40 arrows in your hand. If you limit archers to firing 3 times, then having to take 3 arrows from their quiver, swapping hands between bow as they position the arrows in a narrow X then swapping back, then firing 3 more, thats fine, but that's not gonna happen is it?

What we will probably get is sweet fuck all, for neither game balance nor historical accuracy, and we will continue to see guys with tiny bows that are visibly designed ingame to be used on horseback shooting off laser accurate hard hitting arrows at a rate of 1 per second. Welcome back to native guys. Oh wait, in native they balanced this by giving archers no athletics. Oh well, back to native guys! At least there I can eventually fight the bundle of stickss before they can run away, if I get thru the spam. Oh wait: they dont have pierce damage? BRILLIANT!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 03:30:43 pm by BlindGuy »
I don't know enough

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 19, 2013, 04:29:02 pm »
chicken! chickeeen!

(click to show/hide)

Ronin, you forget about one thing - even with 1 WPF and very few PS (situation i have) it's posible to block and fight back melee and even kill them.
Archers always going to be worse in melee fight than a dedicated melee (i'm not talking about personal player's skill), putting wpf in melee is helpful but in some situations they won't help anyway.

Offline Okkam

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 20, 2013, 11:12:23 am »
I also mentioned bow rebalance, in case you didn't read the whole thing. Currenly, those twat bows are too powerful. They need to be nerfed.

Also it's time to nerf hard Longsword, HBS, SMS, Morningstar and many other 2H weapons that's cheaper than Flamberge. Those twat weapons are too powerful. They need to be nerfed.

The problem is not about archers. Problem is - too many whiners wanna have omnipotent build that can use 1 weapon in all situation. That is stupid, because warfare must promote versatility. This is CRPG only problem, because even Native MP classes is balanced. Infantry without shields or secondary ranged weapon is cannon fodder, archer without melee is glasscanon etc. Add to this CRPG crazy armor rating, fantasy weapons like sniper xbow, german-danish swords of dreams - and viola - you've got insoluble problem with balance.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 21, 2013, 02:10:58 am »
Also it's time to nerf hard Longsword, HBS, SMS, Morningstar and many other 2H weapons that's cheaper than Flamberge. Those twat weapons are too powerful. They need to be nerfed.

I'd rather say the subpar melee options that are not peasant tier should be buffed. People have strong opinions about the internal balance of melee weapons, but this has very little to do with ranged/melee balance.

The problem is not about archers. Problem is - too many whiners wanna have omnipotent build that can use 1 weapon in all situation.

If you don't want one omnipotent build that can use one weapon in all situations, why are you arguing against a change in how ranged works ? I don't see good archers struggling against any particular class, yet even the best 2h get shot to death, only marginally slower than a noob would.

That is stupid, because warfare must promote versatility. This is CRPG only problem, because even Native MP classes is balanced. Infantry without shields or secondary ranged weapon is cannon fodder, archer without melee is glasscanon etc. Add to this CRPG crazy armor rating, fantasy weapons like sniper xbow, german-danish swords of dreams - and viola - you've got insoluble problem with balance.

How can "either you are archer either you are shielder" be called versatility ? A bad archer without melee is a glasscanon. Just not get into melee and you are a glasscanon that has no weakness.

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 21, 2013, 02:26:09 am »
i can agree with Kafein, internal ballance between bows and melee weapons is different.

There's no matter when you have high lvl wht what weapon you use.

I'm not using pew pwe bows because after last patch I think they are OP, And i want to show other ranged, that "spam arrows" technicue isn't bringing mulities all the time :), I even don't think what can i do with tatar or nomad bow... Long bow - best bow :D

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #174 on: December 21, 2013, 02:28:05 am »

The problem is not about archers. Problem is - too many whiners wanna have omnipotent build that can use 1 weapon in all situation. That is stupid, because warfare must promote versatility. This is CRPG only problem, because even Native MP classes is balanced. Infantry without shields or secondary ranged weapon is cannon fodder, archer without melee is glasscanon etc. Add to this CRPG crazy armor rating, fantasy weapons like sniper xbow, german-danish swords of dreams - and viola - you've got insoluble problem with balance.
I dont get that , why only 2h weapons are there?

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 793
  • Infamy: 727
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 21, 2013, 02:31:58 am »
To be honest, I'll rather have small amount of uber archers like Bagge, Stevee or even that annoying Shokoshugi than bunch of fairies running around with regular machine gun bows.

Not sure why and who did it, but achery loom changes and bow/arrow rebalance is maybe the worst idea in history of cRPG. All it did was to create horde of STR, for fun, alt, noob archers who have no time to grind gear. While that seems fair to new players, everyone who's not an archer and also dedicated long time archers suffer cause of it.

Revert the bow balance (Long Bow, only pierce bow) and quiver balance (old weight and values, no magical Bodkin tip) and you'll fix both HA and Achery Horde issue. Archers will fight among themselves to acquire looms, some will even retire their builds to get new, optimal Long Bow build and that will lower their numbers.

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #176 on: December 21, 2013, 04:11:59 am »
To be honest, I'll rather have small amount of uber archers like Bagge, Stevee or even that annoying Shokoshugi than bunch of fairies running around with regular machine gun bows.

Not sure why and who did it, but achery loom changes and bow/arrow rebalance is maybe the worst idea in history of cRPG. All it did was to create horde of STR, for fun, alt, noob archers who have no time to grind gear. While that seems fair to new players, everyone who's not an archer and also dedicated long time archers suffer cause of it.

Revert the bow balance (Long Bow, only pierce bow) and quiver balance (old weight and values, no magical Bodkin tip) and you'll fix both HA and Achery Horde issue. Archers will fight among themselves to acquire looms, some will even retire their builds to get new, optimal Long Bow build and that will lower their numbers.
pierce dmg for all bows will always cause problems because that kind of damage bypass armor, and with all of that ranged players nowadays
it can be totally annoying

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1503
  • Infamy: 2897
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 23, 2013, 08:05:51 pm »
Why are mongol bows so much better than european gear? Checked bows, like how Bow looks but stats suck balls. But these Horn, Tatar, tiny garbage bows have superior stats. Stop that madness, I want to play an archer but don't to look like a fool.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #178 on: December 23, 2013, 08:12:14 pm »
pierce dmg for all bows will always cause problems because that kind of damage bypass armor, and with all of that ranged players nowadays
it can be totally annoying
keep the pierce but implement bloodfrenzy mode  :twisted:
when you would kill 2 guys shortly after each other, you dont get staggered by arrows anymore for 1 minute, 30 more seconds with every additional kill while bloodfrenzy would be active.
+ you dont get staggered/interrupted
- you dont get hint/a trigger other then listening, that you were hit by an arrow, therefor possibly unaware of ranged targeting you.
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 24, 2013, 03:54:18 am »
+1
keep the pierce but implement bloodfrenzy mode  :twisted:
when you would kill 2 guys shortly after each other, you dont get staggered by arrows anymore for 1 minute, 30 more seconds with every additional kill while bloodfrenzy would be active.
+ you dont get staggered/interrupted
- you dont get hint/a trigger other then listening, that you were hit by an arrow, therefor possibly unaware of ranged targeting you.

If some new guy posted this I would take it seriously.