Do you agree with those changes?

Yes
89 (62.7%)
No
34 (23.9%)
Yes, but... (insert you opinion)
19 (13.4%)

Total Members Voted: 142

Author Topic: How to nerf archery, without destroying it.  (Read 15679 times)

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
Re: How to nerf archery, without destroying it.
« Reply #120 on: December 15, 2013, 03:36:07 pm »
+1
Personally I could agree to two things: lowering overall ammo(bolt+arrow) count to 80% and lowering shield weight(maybe even half it). Shield weight bothers me for some time because they simply seem too heavy realismwise. But that is shikstuff so I don't really know. Speeding up shielders and thus hoplites that way would give them an additional edge in melee over 2h and shieldless polearm - the most vocal whiners. So it won't happen I guess. I'd also have to respec to a non-shielder to "prove" that it wasn't done to gain benefits.

Offline Lactating Vegetables

• Count
  • Renown: 280
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew Pew
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy
  • Game nicks: Aurora/ Lactating Vegetables/ Aurora_Borealis/ Hirovard
« Reply #121 on: December 15, 2013, 03:38:15 pm »
+1
Shield weight bothers me for some time because they simply seem too heavy realismwise.
Wait wait wait. THAT bothers your for realism, yet 10kg for a quiver of arrows is fine???? Da fuck are you smoking?

Have any of you even felt the weight of a quiver of arrows, its no where near 10kg

Aurora makes me grab a shield every game!

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 15, 2013, 03:42:08 pm »
+3
Quiver weights are a crude workaround to slow down archers. I don't like it either but it has to be there for now. Also, those depleted uranium tips are quite heavy.

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew Pew
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 15, 2013, 03:44:40 pm »
Instead of making quivers weigh more than they should, can you not put a work around where every 1PD a character has will reduce their speed by a certain percentage, so that, that way "heavy" archers are slower than light archers

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 15, 2013, 03:50:04 pm »
No, that would be either cmp stuff who is busy elsewhere atm or with the MS alone the other devs would have to use crude workarounds that would cause more damage than benefit.

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew Pew
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 15, 2013, 03:52:32 pm »
+3
Fair enough, though it still bugs me how some of those damned plate guys are allowed to run faster than an archer that is wearing a linen tunic

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #126 on: December 15, 2013, 04:00:34 pm »
Fair enough, though it still bugs me how some of those damned plate guys are allowed to run faster than an archer that is wearing a linen tunic

They don't, unless you're talking about an agility build using plate and a strength archer using two stacks of arrows.

Pro-tip, sheath your bow when you want to gain distance, the speed gain is totally worth it.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 15, 2013, 04:01:57 pm »
+1
Instead of making quivers weigh more than they should, can you not put a work around where every 1PD a character has will reduce their speed by a certain percentage, so that, that way "heavy" archers are slower than light archers
Heavy archers are already slower than light archers, because they have less athletics/AGI. Plus, no archer should be moving fast at all if kiting archers are supposed to be toned down.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #128 on: December 15, 2013, 04:58:55 pm »
So Paul suggest that we buff archers an make em able to kite again, and half the wieght on shielders.

Huehuehue sounds like a good plan or nut...
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #129 on: December 15, 2013, 05:08:05 pm »
Speeding up shielders and thus hoplites that way would give them an additional edge in melee over 2h and shieldless polearm - the most vocal whiners. So it won't happen I guess.

I probably asked this more then once now but cant remember reading an answer. Why do you care ? Its "your" game. When you hold back a ( in your subjective opinion ) necessary gamechange just to please a certain lobby, how can anything good evolve from that ? This is the whole reason we have people who spend more time crying on the forum than playing the actual game, because they know devs wont stick to their decisions given enough QQ is provided. I am not adressing any specific topic like ranged or shields, I just cant understand that balance policy in general. There is nothing wrong with constructive feedback of course but as long as people can expect a better reward from forumlobbying rather than adapting we will always see the former IMO.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #130 on: December 15, 2013, 05:15:40 pm »
+3
Yeah Xynox, why do you even discuss here. If we nerf ranged, you can just "Adapt" yourself and go Melee.

It seems to be the same to you.. Ah.. No, It's just all the others that has to adapt to your pew pew playstyle..  :rolleyes:

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #131 on: December 15, 2013, 05:20:55 pm »
I am not adressing any specific topic like ranged or shields, I just cant understand that balance policy in general.

Jeez calm down Thomek.

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #132 on: December 15, 2013, 05:59:43 pm »
+1
I probably asked this more then once now but cant remember reading an answer. Why do you care ? Its "your" game. When you hold back a ( in your subjective opinion ) necessary gamechange just to please a certain lobby, how can anything good evolve from that ? This is the whole reason we have people who spend more time crying on the forum than playing the actual game, because they know devs wont stick to their decisions given enough QQ is provided. I am not adressing any specific topic like ranged or shields, I just cant understand that balance policy in general. There is nothing wrong with constructive feedback of course but as long as people can expect a better reward from forumlobbying rather than adapting we will always see the former IMO.
probably because more and more peoples ignore yours posts

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 15, 2013, 06:26:42 pm »
+3
So Paul suggest that we buff archers an make em able to kite again, and half the wieght on shielders.

Huehuehue sounds like a good plan or nut...

Where did I say that I want to make archers be able to kite again? I just don't like the way their speed was nerfed. Even if you have trouble understanding the contents of a text, making up half of it won't cover up your deficiency.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 06:32:53 pm by Paul »

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 15, 2013, 06:32:49 pm »
Ranged needs to be ballanced via armor.