Author Topic: Nerf ranged  (Read 14319 times)

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
Re: Nerf ranged
« Reply #210 on: December 10, 2013, 07:12:54 pm »
But short range shooting is bullshit.

try holding a xbow in front of your face in real life and pull the trigger. Not bullshit, but a good deed and an enlightening experience :)
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #211 on: December 10, 2013, 07:15:00 pm »
+2
try holding a xbow in front of your face in real life and pull the trigger. Not bullshit, but a good deed and an enlightening experience :)
I have this strange feeling leshma isn't talking realism...
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #212 on: December 10, 2013, 07:16:17 pm »
I have this strange feeling leshma isn't talking realism...

I got that, but the melee agi troll is amusing me :)
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #213 on: December 10, 2013, 07:23:09 pm »
+3
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sums up this whole thread and every one like it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 07:26:17 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 10, 2013, 09:54:50 pm »
+1
You wanted to kill em all on your own, huh...

And who is going to do it if not me? Ho yeah that's right ranged is the class that shouldn't be killed by anything because reasons.

Somehow I wouldn't be surprised if you saw one archer killing three 2h heroes at range in quick succession and comment "everything eez fine, archery counters shieldless inf"

I have a better idea, again IRL : try to hold a crossbow facing a wall, then turn around 360 degrees as fast as you can. While you are turning, shoot and hit someone 1 meter close to you. Now do it with a bow. The fact that doing this in cRPG is merely possible is a mind-blowing overlook from Taleworlds.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #215 on: December 10, 2013, 10:45:18 pm »
+6
Archers can hold aim for quite a long time themselves. It's not much different from an xbow, because average xbow holds his attack slightly longer than average archer when facing shieldless melee threat going for him.

That's bullshit and at least one of you knows that.

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #216 on: December 10, 2013, 11:20:08 pm »
it is why i stope reading posts here

-reduce ammo for archers (if they can spam arrows they have to much of them)
-cap accuracy on xbows( if we need noob tube ingame at last make it inaccurate)

but that are my retarded ideas and no one will care about them

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 10, 2013, 11:47:53 pm »
Somehow I wouldn't be surprised if you saw one archer killing three 2h heroes at range in quick succession and comment "everything eez fine, archery counters shieldless inf"

Yet, its still way more likely to see a shieldless inf kill 3 archers in rapid succession.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 383
  • Infamy: 1375
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 11, 2013, 12:22:47 am »
+1

One of us... I like that. So you do have a sense of humour, after all.

But I wasn't talking about what is possible in theory, I was talking about my own experience with ranged on EU servers. As always, you know better. Because you're ever present on all servers with your 27 alts...

Only SB gunmen hold for like 20 seconds, until you get bored and leave them alone so they can keep running away from you. Other xbowmen aren't so patient, they hold for few seconds before they release the shot. I'm talking about EU players, of course. EU archers also like to use longbow and hold attack for few seconds when you're without shield and approaching them. But you use shield most of the time, don't you?

Offline HappyPhantom

• Earl
  • Renown: 440
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew pew, your face!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul, Always Take the Shot.
  • Game nicks: HappyPhantom, Marys of the Sea, Ancient of Mu Mu.
« Reply #219 on: December 11, 2013, 12:49:59 am »
Only SB gunmen hold for like 20 seconds, until you get bored and leave them alone so they can keep running away from you. Other xbowmen aren't so patient, they hold for few seconds before they release the shot. I'm talking about EU players, of course. EU archers also like to use longbow and hold attack for few seconds when you're without shield and approaching them. But you use shield most of the time, don't you?

Boo hoo.

I won't go into the fact that as an archer I have to plug all my points in WPF and PD leaving me none for IF or PS making me a squishy glancing mess totally vulnerable to the smallest poke from any nearby stabby weapon.

I won't start moaning about all those OP melee 2h my old friends, because I choose to play my class (I find it fun) and understand the choices I'm making and their consequences. Therefore to overcome my squishyness I try to adjust my gameplay where possible to avoid melee deaths, but know that it is probably inevitable, and when it happens I accept it like a mature person and don't get all butthurt.
"Darklands" - The greatest game you never played: now on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/327930 | http://www.darklands.net/index.shtml

Offline ROHYPNOL

• Earl
  • Renown: 361
  • Infamy: 127
  • Poor Washing Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 11, 2013, 01:21:13 am »
Archers can hold aim for quite a long time themselves. It's not much different from an xbow, because average xbow holds his attack slightly longer than average archer when facing shieldless melee threat going for him.

I am confused, is this thread about nerfing ranged of all kinds or just certain ones? Also who gives a fuck about a debate between xbows and archers, as far as im concerned xbow/archer/thrower/HA/HT/HX are all FUCKING GAY!!!!. guess what that would make me gay... you surprised?
Quote from: Jeade
you're rough around the edges.
This is the reason people don't like you if anyone ever did.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 408
  • Infamy: 1275
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 11, 2013, 01:38:39 am »
+3
Boo hoo.

I won't go into the fact that as an archer I have to plug all my points in WPF and PD leaving me none for IF or PS making me a squishy glancing mess totally vulnerable to the smallest poke from any nearby stabby weapon.

I won't start moaning about all those OP melee 2h my old friends, because I choose to play my class (I find it fun) and understand the choices I'm making and their consequences. Therefore to overcome my squishyness I try to adjust my gameplay where possible to avoid melee deaths, but know that it is probably inevitable, and when it happens I accept it like a mature person and don't get all butthurt.

You're talking about level 30, right? Well, that is true. But free respec created a lot of high level archers on EU servers, and high level archers don't have those limitations. Example:

Level 35 hybrid archer:
61 HP
18 STR
24 AGI
4 IF
6 PS/PD
8 ATH/WM
160 wpf Archery
100 wpf One-handed
MW Long Bow - 33 cut/pierce damage
MW Bodkin Arrows - 2 pierce damage, 20 arrows
MW Tatar Arrows - 8 cut damage, 24 arrows
MW Short Broad Sword - 29 pierce damage, 33 cut damage
Lordly Mail Shirt with Fur - 8.5 weight, 41 body armor, 8 leg armor
Reinforced Leather Gloves - 0.4 weight, 5 body armor
Lordly Cap with Fur - 0.8 weight, 20 head armor
Reinforced Rus Shoes - 0.3 weight, 16 leg armor armor

That is 8 Masterworked items or 24 loompoints which is something most level 35 can easily obtain. Body armor rating is pretty high (for an archer) 46 body armor, 24 leg armor and 20 head armor. Combined with 61 HP, that allows an archer to survive plenty of body/leg hits and few head hits. One handed sword uses 100 effective wpf and with 24 AGI you cna swing fast enough to kill almost anyone. You will be a bit slow (like 5 ATH in this armor but without arrows) but still fast enough to deal with melee threat when it comes to you. Of course, by then you'll probably kill it with 35 piece/41 cut damage from your arrows. And you have 44 arrows for the whole round which is epic amount of arrows for any occasion. If this shit listed above is not OP, I don't know what is.

My melee trihybrid isn't nearly potent as this shit above. It has around 16 more body armor and 2.5 times more head armor, it is faster but that makes him squishier because of speed bonus (if I surge forward and get hit in the process that hurts like hell). I have higher damage output when fighting in melee but can't do jack shit to ranged. Above build is wastly superior for any occasion and is a proof that being hybrid archer isn't impossible, it's in fact crazily OP at higher levels.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 11, 2013, 08:04:01 am »
People, that's how you get rewarded for being the closest character possible to an actual ranged counter.

Not really, I do have an archer, specced a low level alt to archery, since I made my  higher level archer into a shielder after the respec because of how OP it was, to try it out. Was disgustingly easy, immedietly put my looms for 1h into armory. Now I have an alt I don't even use... and have yet to shoot at Kinngrim with my low level archer, since he left EU1 because he didn't like that he got raped because he runs off alone. But tbh archery is boring and very frustrating not being able to do the core thing of this game: skill based melee fighting.

I mostly play polearms, and have my 2h of course, not really worried about fighting Kinngrim tbh.

Before respecc AND before arrow weight increase, with my archer: would fight kinngrim just fine. After the weight increase would just have to drop my arrows to fight him, its really not very hard to block left, kick and then kill him. I just dont like it when I see him spamming down poor clueless noobs who havent even managed to walk out of spawn, with their 1 athletics and their grey peasant shirt and sickle or some useless peasant shit they were given when they joined. And he calls it flanking, I call it killing poor unlucky noobs without giving them any way to fight back.

Between him and GK and others who made it their professional mission in game to get to enemy spawn as quickly as possible to kill guys who were too new to keep up with team or just did not know which way to go, we have probably lost countless players, who where told this is a good mod, came, were raped repeatedly in spawn and thought "Fuck it" and left.
I don't know enough

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #223 on: December 11, 2013, 08:26:51 am »
^Really tried to understand what you were trying to say with shielder being OP then kinngrimm being easy and some random peasants in the mix? In the end, 'herp derp' is all I got out of it. It's like a silly balancing act of trying to make a point of something being OP without soiling your own e-peen.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 11, 2013, 12:18:42 pm »
+1
Yet, its still way more likely to see a shieldless inf kill 3 archers in rapid succession.

I wonder how did that shieldless inf get there in the first place. As this is obviously an imaginary scenario, he might have parachuted from a flying licorn.

Also, see my remark about spending a few seconds to kill the first one more than enough for the other guys to shoot you down.

Not really, I do have an archer, specced a low level alt to archery, since I made my  higher level archer into a shielder after the respec because of how OP it was, to try it out. Was disgustingly easy, immedietly put my looms for 1h into armory. Now I have an alt I don't even use... and have yet to shoot at Kinngrim with my low level archer, since he left EU1 because he didn't like that he got raped because he runs off alone. But tbh archery is boring and very frustrating not being able to do the core thing of this game: skill based melee fighting.

I mostly play polearms, and have my 2h of course, not really worried about fighting Kinngrim tbh.

Before respecc AND before arrow weight increase, with my archer: would fight kinngrim just fine. After the weight increase would just have to drop my arrows to fight him, its really not very hard to block left, kick and then kill him. I just dont like it when I see him spamming down poor clueless noobs who havent even managed to walk out of spawn, with their 1 athletics and their grey peasant shirt and sickle or some useless peasant shit they were given when they joined. And he calls it flanking, I call it killing poor unlucky noobs without giving them any way to fight back.

Between him and GK and others who made it their professional mission in game to get to enemy spawn as quickly as possible to kill guys who were too new to keep up with team or just did not know which way to go, we have probably lost countless players, who where told this is a good mod, came, were raped repeatedly in spawn and thought "Fuck it" and left.

Still doesn't change the fact that when I see him play siege, kinngrim focuses on ranged and uses his shield exactly the way he should be using it to acheive that goal. I don't like melee clusterfucks either, even though I don't really see myself doing better or worse compared to lonewolfing, but I see the latter as more personally rewarding.

Boo hoo.

How is that a valable argument ? As melee I don't have any PD or PT or ranged wpf, I get shot all the time, I can't avoid it, neither can I damage whoever is shooting at me.

I won't start moaning about all those OP melee 2h my old friends, because I choose to play my class (I find it fun) and understand the choices I'm making and their consequences.

Read : absence of actual consequences, because melee can be avoided unlike ranged.

Therefore to overcome my squishyness I try to adjust my gameplay where possible to avoid melee deaths, but know that it is probably inevitable, and when it happens I accept it like a mature person and don't get all butthurt.

Melee is completely avoidable, just keep running and being a dickwad. Ranged is not avoidable. You will get shot and killed by projectiles even if you are the best player in the world.