Author Topic: Nerf ranged  (Read 14263 times)

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
Re: Nerf ranged
« Reply #255 on: December 14, 2013, 07:51:21 pm »
+1
2 archers and 2 inf
vs.
2 inf and 2 cav

infantry players fight with each other, 2 cavalry handles 2 archers with ease. Even if archers can shoot back, horses don't die in 2-3 shots that easily.

Tactically, I believe the archer group has the advantage in most situations.

If there's any sort of distance between the two groups, the archer group would win, due to the initial damage output from the arrows. It would take a good 20 seconds+ for the melee group to even get there, allowing the melee to repel the cavalry up close. Whoever's melee group wins also wins the fight, and the cav won't be helpful against melee until the melee groups are fighting. The archers can also focus on the melee and allow the infantry to dispatch the cav if they don't get off their horses. If there are any props that provide cover at all, even a simple wall, the archer group also has a higher chance of winning. If both teams are wounded prior to the engagement, the advantage is heavily favored towards the ranged group even more.

I could imagine your example only working on an open field when all 4 players are already very close to each other. The non-ranged group can win in the other disadvantaged situations only if the cav are better players.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #256 on: December 14, 2013, 07:59:31 pm »
It's as simple as this, archers+infantry is better than archer+archer or infantry+infantry.

In cRPG we also have a line of infantry in front of the archers to soak up damage and delay the enemy while pew pew shoots.

Anyone ever played an RTS like rome?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 15, 2013, 03:10:08 pm »
I could imagine your example only working on an open field when all 4 players are already very close to each other. The non-ranged group can win in the other disadvantaged situations only if the cav are better players.
Actually the picture I had in mind was very close to something like that. Although one must not forget the objects can also work in the favor of cavalry too (like big buildings and ruins that will let cav to hide and take cover from arrows).

Sometimes, cavalry can help infantry vs infantry fights to leave archers alone; without the protection of their infantry. It is really up to the situation and other factors. Overall I must agree with the fact that cavalry is a very situational class, sometimes even your teammates refuse to cooperate with you. My point in mentioning them was just one of the examples of how to deal with enemy archers.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D