Author Topic: Nerf ranged  (Read 14336 times)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
Re: Nerf ranged
« Reply #180 on: December 09, 2013, 07:16:12 pm »
They penetrate shields based on their armor (resistance) rating.  You must be using high resistance shields like the knightly heater or knightly kite.  Almost any other shield I've used has been penetrated by a bolt shot from some sort of xbow.  Even elite cav shields get penetrated once in a while depending on distance/xbow used/speed bonus. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #181 on: December 09, 2013, 07:50:33 pm »
+1
I use a variety of shields, but mostly use heavy kite shield.  Haven't had any problems.  *shrug*

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #182 on: December 09, 2013, 07:58:32 pm »
Hmm I would think you'd get bolts hitting through shield sometimes with only 16 body armor on that shield.  But I use a knightly heater shield, so I literally never have got shot through my shield. 
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Phantasmal

• Duke
  • Renown: 510
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Phantasmal_Astralis, The_Ebon_Hawk
  • IRC nick: Phantasmal
« Reply #183 on: December 09, 2013, 07:59:34 pm »
Don't forget that any amount of range from the shooter decreases the damage.

I have 13 gens shielder.  I have never had an arbalest penetrate a shield that requires 4 shield skill or above.

And I have played roughly 20 arbalest gens. I have consistently pierced many of the high tier shields, especially unloomed ones. There was one time where I managed to penetrate an unloomed Huscarl's shield. It has gotten to the point where I can hold my xbow up and shielders will just start backing away from me.
Worst admin ever, horrible person, rude in chat, griefs in game, threatens with kicks and bans if you don't praise him in his admin thread, doesn't worship the goat, and worst of all, uses a crossbow, I suggest instant removal of admin rights and crucifixion.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #184 on: December 09, 2013, 08:59:12 pm »
Don't forget that any amount of range from the shooter decreases the damage.

I have 13 gens shielder.  I have never had an arbalest penetrate a shield that requires 4 shield skill or above.
gen 26 lvl 36 shielder,5000hours+ crpg, 95% on eu servers, before latest respec i had 11 shieldskill now 10. While this information you and me just exchanged, doesnt matter at all in this discussion, perhaps your thought patterns need these informations to accept opinions or if people tell you that it can happen, that you would believe it as again the information we just shared weren't about facts concerning penetration happening or not.

more sitenotes:
(click to show/hide)

It maybe playstyle too
(click to show/hide)

My build
(click to show/hide)

what does matter is,
(click to show/hide)

Perhaps additionaly to the increase of HP per shieldskill, also increase the Ressistance/armor value by 1-3 for shields per shieldskill. In my case i would then have with 3 per skill lvl, 55 resistance on my elite cav shield(25 through MW + 10*3 from shieldskill). In my case it doesnt really make a big difference anymore for durability of the shield, it just neglects then penetration (if this is really is the case that ressistance negelcts penetration).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 09:10:29 pm by kinngrimm »
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 10, 2013, 12:08:19 am »

quite a number of them seem to hate me with a passion

Dude. nice essay.

Players don't ever hate you because you target them. They dislike you because you have the most free time to play and level to a point they never can, the opportunity to make a really cool class, and WHAT do you do?

Shield and pick.

You didn't train Wolves to flank with you, your build isn't best on flanks, you just like to fight away from clusterfucks because you DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT ATTACK DIRECTION YOUR GOING TO DO BEFORE YOU DO IT, because you spam down guys with you very fast attacks that never glance, LESS so with newest patch, while using high shield skill to avoid ever having to make a single manual block or learn any of the finesse of Mount and Blade. You don't have any skills. You fucking bully low levels, noobs, and anyone who finds themselves looking the other way.

Almost everyone else ingame when facing a silly nooby or a peasant will try to punch or kick them, give them a chance, because it's a game for fun, sometimes literally just ignore them. Not Kinngrim :C Well, cav are mostly like that also, but yeah, we can add you to the list with Riddaren, Oberyn, Torben and the rest of the guys who have been playing the longest, have the least idea how to fight in melee, and are the very best at killing players who are either a/ not aware of them because you strike from behind or b/ unable to fight back due to level or gear.

When in strat battle I hear "Permission to flank" from you, I fucking laugh aloud to myself: You literally have don't have a clue tactically or any other way what's going on, you just like to hunt down players who cannot realistically fight back.

Your opinion is not valid. In anything. Ever.

/rant

I don't know enough

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #186 on: December 10, 2013, 12:18:37 am »
I think you're going a bit far there... He could do a lot worse with a high level build, and his experiences with ranged somewhat mirror my own (not buying the bolt through knightly shields + steel shield though). I wouldn't say it's that hopeless to fight multiple ranged, but there is a huge risk whenever you attack and it relies a lot on them being bad/missing. That risk makes me avoid the situation almost altogether.

I hate xbows more than archers because they can hold until you get predictable with your movements. With archers, you can at least predict when they're going to shoot. That's what makes it very frustrating when an xbow just holds it on you and wait for you to attack something, especially when you're a prioritized target among your teammates.

Offline //saxon

• King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • I'm just to dam goood 😎
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Saxon
« Reply #187 on: December 10, 2013, 12:19:06 am »
think its proper good me

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 10, 2013, 12:43:14 am »
+3

Dude. nice essay.

Players don't ever hate you because you target them. They dislike you because you have the most free time to play and level to a point they never can, the opportunity to make a really cool class, and WHAT do you do?

Shield and pick.

You didn't train Wolves to flank with you, your build isn't best on flanks, you just like to fight away from clusterfucks because you DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT ATTACK DIRECTION YOUR GOING TO DO BEFORE YOU DO IT, because you spam down guys with you very fast attacks that never glance, LESS so with newest patch, while using high shield skill to avoid ever having to make a single manual block or learn any of the finesse of Mount and Blade. You don't have any skills. You fucking bully low levels, noobs, and anyone who finds themselves looking the other way.

Almost everyone else ingame when facing a silly nooby or a peasant will try to punch or kick them, give them a chance, because it's a game for fun, sometimes literally just ignore them. Not Kinngrim :C Well, cav are mostly like that also, but yeah, we can add you to the list with Riddaren, Oberyn, Torben and the rest of the guys who have been playing the longest, have the least idea how to fight in melee, and are the very best at killing players who are either a/ not aware of them because you strike from behind or b/ unable to fight back due to level or gear.

When in strat battle I hear "Permission to flank" from you, I fucking laugh aloud to myself: You literally have don't have a clue tactically or any other way what's going on, you just like to hunt down players who cannot realistically fight back.

Your opinion is not valid. In anything. Ever.

/rant

People, that's how you get rewarded for being the closest character possible to an actual ranged counter.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1432
  • Infamy: 1274
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 10, 2013, 12:51:45 am »
I hate xbows more than archers because they can hold until you get predictable with your movements. With archers, you can at least predict when they're going to shoot.

Archers can hold aim for quite a long time themselves. It's not much different from an xbow, because average xbow holds his attack slightly longer than average archer when facing shieldless melee threat going for him.

That's the reason why it is so hard to hunt archers, most of them learned how to deal with frontal attacks from shieldless infantry. Back in the days it wasn't like that. With 8 ATH I was much faster (they nerfed movement speed at one point, can't remember when exactly) and could easily run into the archer nest, with up to 10 archers standing there in their precious 1st person mode waiting to be slain. Not anymore. Now they use 3rd person, use look behind button, can sense the danger and there is no way in hell I can approach them sideways which was my usual tactics.

Now, that's from AGI 2H point of view. Don't understand why kinngrimm has issues, he has a lot more ATH than me and shield. I would have no issue to deal with archers if I had his build, mainly because I never attack before I bump ranged with shield (when I'm playing shielder).

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 10, 2013, 01:53:55 am »
+1
I see, I always thought that was only for some of the slower bows like the longbow.

This is my experience from a 5ath shielder to 8ath-10ath. If you're moving + blocking, you move so slowly that you aren't really utilizing your high athletics all that much. The fastest way to get to them is to run and try to block as little as possible. When there are multiple places to block, you're stuck moving pretty slowly.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1892
  • Infamy: 1068
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 10, 2013, 01:58:23 am »
+1
Still better than no shield. With 10 shield skill like kinngrimm has, I believe it's possible to utilize passive blocking with proper footwork. I used shield on my 2H as well, with just one shield skill and was pretty successful at blocking ranged. Of course, you have to manually aim your shield in that case, which is something many shielders don't do.

Edit: Unless there is no forcefield while shield is put down?

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 10, 2013, 02:21:48 am »
You can get a block, but it's extremely unlikely if they're aiming at you. I'm more inclined to say there isn't a forcefield when not blocking. I experienced a ton more when I was on horse.

Shield is great for 1-2, maybe 3, depending on the class. I'd rush 3 archers any day before I'd rush even 2 crossbowmen, let alone that and an archer, unless one has to reload. If you're blocking in front, you always have to be aware of any shots coming from the side since you're an easy target in that direction and you don't have the liberty to change your field of view for long. I don't fight on the flanks that often, so I have to be aware of most ranged positions before deciding to confront since shots can come from any hiding spot.

Offline HappyPhantom

• Earl
  • Renown: 440
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew pew, your face!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul, Always Take the Shot.
  • Game nicks: HappyPhantom, Marys of the Sea, Ancient of Mu Mu.
« Reply #193 on: December 10, 2013, 11:02:04 am »
+1
Archers can hold aim for quite a long time themselves. It's not much different from an xbow, because average xbow holds his attack slightly longer than average archer when facing shieldless melee threat going for him.

Wut? Archer aim Can't hold aim for shit until WPF = 160+
"Darklands" - The greatest game you never played: now on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/327930 | http://www.darklands.net/index.shtml

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #194 on: December 10, 2013, 11:07:07 am »
+1
And 160+ wpf is easy to obtain... more like the standard wpf for anything now.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.