Author Topic: Nerf ranged  (Read 14347 times)

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
Re: Nerf ranged
« Reply #165 on: December 09, 2013, 12:52:30 pm »
+1
FINAL SOLUTION, FREE FROM ME TO DEVS:

Crossbows use Powerdraw, with 6 needed for arbalest, and then on down. Rename it PowerReload if you want, who cares.

Half arrow and crossbow ammo capacity. Maybe lower arrow weight to compensate. Job done, game balanced.

If you disagree, you are clinging to your class and scared of change. But it's ok, change is natural and healthy.
I don't know enough

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 09, 2013, 01:35:19 pm »
+1
idk about missile speed. It's a very lame nerf that effectively makes shooting more random. In theory it sounds okay, but since very few players run in straight lines anyway it rather gives shooting a sense of luck than skill. I know from my long range throwing how hopeless it is to predict where players go.

I'd rather just see a damage nerf. Either in nerfing unloomed gear, but since that smells more of postponing a problem rather than dealing with it, an overall ranged damage nerf would be more sensible.

We have to protect the core of the game that is melee mechanics. Fight ranged and other lameness, and try to fix the abused and glitchy gameplay..

COF is random, missile speed isn't. Lower missile speed and tighter COF (the latter which we already have since the wpf changes) means better archers can lead better and hit more things because their arrows go exactly where they point their mouse, while bad archers can't lead correctly, miss their targets because they don't point their crosshair where they should. Current missile speeds make dodging any decent archer a worthless task, unless you have extreme agility.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #167 on: December 09, 2013, 01:55:30 pm »
+1
(click to show/hide)

I have suggested many times PD for xbows, don't have to call it power draw just a skill required to use it, been called a retard, people have wished for bad things to happen to me irl etc... speaks volumes about how much that would affect the class and actually balance it. Don't know if it can be done from a techincal point, but 18str for arbalest seems resonable, just like 6PD for Rus and Longbow
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 09, 2013, 03:46:06 pm »
+1
And a side note: BOW is 4 powerdraw, and 2 slots, Yumi is 6 PD, ONE slot, AND USEABLE from horseback. Fuckoff.
I don't know enough

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #169 on: December 09, 2013, 04:24:03 pm »
And a side note: BOW is 4 powerdraw, and 2 slots, Yumi is 6 PD, ONE slot, AND USEABLE from horseback. Fuckoff.
I've heard rumours that the Yumi is about to change at some point...
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #170 on: December 09, 2013, 04:51:59 pm »
Why this tread still in Suggestion corner? It's wet and salty like an ocean.

That would require a dev or forum admin to take a look at this thread.

Then again, imagine you are a dev or a forum admin and you see a thread called "Nerf ranged" by Leshma. Would you click it ?  :mrgreen:

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #171 on: December 09, 2013, 05:13:12 pm »
+2
CHAMBER OF TEARS
CHAMBER OF TEARS
Our hopes and fears; to the chamber of tears!

12 pages of overflowing salty watery tears! 
Never before have I witnessed such a brazen display of emotion from so many men at once!
This is a glorious time, when real men learn its ok to cry.  Men are men, but are always human first.  This rare and special existence as a human being comes with many burdens, and one of those crosses to bear is the fickle, awkward, and sometimes painful experience of emotion. 

But oh!  What a glorious burden it is!  The same tears that flee the face in sadness can also flow with joyful exuberance!  The same eyes that frown furiously can twinkle with tickled fancy!  With the wrinkles of a well-furrowed brow comes the maturity of patient understanding.  Oh sweet emotion, a blessing and a curse!

So let it flow, gentlemen.  Don't hold back, or stifle your true selves in the name of bravado or other some other imposed construction.  The one who dams up the river of tears and attempts to hold back its inevitable waters is the one who invites catastrophe down the road!  Heed my advice, and cry when the time is for crying.  Then you may laugh at the season for joy.

In the evening weeping shall have place, and in the morning gladness.
Ps 30:5

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #172 on: December 09, 2013, 05:45:06 pm »
If they ever wanted to change the requirement or add a skill for xbows, they had the opportunity when they gave out free respecs. Changing it now without respecs would just be ridiculously silly.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #173 on: December 09, 2013, 05:47:35 pm »
Nothing is really wrong with Archers/throwers. Xbow´s have been in need of a PD like requirement for years....

Its just the share numbers  :lol: Dunno how the dev could fix this. But i cant help to take notice how empty EU1 have become... Siege seems to be where most melee players take refugee nowadays  :P
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 09, 2013, 06:03:30 pm »
+1
Also, get a shield, nubs

It's "get a shield lol" you sophomore

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 09, 2013, 06:31:21 pm »
-Modify the effective WPF equation for ranged only. This, if possible, could be in effect when a character possess over X wpf in a ranged category. This would force all ranged into lighter armor to be effective at their class, making them easier to kill.

Or , the exact opposite. Make medium armor an asset to ranged so the requirement to exell at the class is higher.

Offline Phantasmal

• Duke
  • Renown: 510
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Phantasmal_Astralis, The_Ebon_Hawk
  • IRC nick: Phantasmal
« Reply #176 on: December 09, 2013, 06:34:29 pm »
+1
WPF problem is mostly for x-bow, archers and throwers have penalty due to PD and PT.

Lowering missile speed for x-bows won't change anything because they will still hit like a truck...

If you want to lower the amount of ranged on a server you will need to initiate some form of global nerf. If not, they will just switch to a ranged class that was not nerfed. Personally, I think there are more elegant solutions availabe. But we are just tossing around ideas. Although I agree that there needs to be a rebalance with the arbalest's damage.

Now if this is what Steevee meant exactly he is right. Lowering missile speed will have no effect on shield piercing. Shield piercing depends on damage and the armour of your shield as far as I know, and I think it is a fairly shitty and unneeded mechanic.

I read somewhere that shield pierce was based heavily upon missile speed. Seems that I was wrong:
#missiles with damage > shield_penetration_offset + shield_penetration_factor * shield
#will penetrate.

shield_penetration_offset = 30.0
shield_penetration_factor = 3.0

#setting speed_power to 2.0 makes damage scale with the square of missile's speed.
# you can set it to 1.0 to make it scale linearly as it was before.
missile_damage_speed_power = 1.9
melee_damage_speed_power = 2.0

Regardless, I find it pathetic that high tier shields that are unloomed offer little protection from arbalests.
Worst admin ever, horrible person, rude in chat, griefs in game, threatens with kicks and bans if you don't praise him in his admin thread, doesn't worship the goat, and worst of all, uses a crossbow, I suggest instant removal of admin rights and crucifixion.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #177 on: December 09, 2013, 06:48:13 pm »
Regardless, I find it pathetic that high tier shields that are unloomed offer little protection from arbalests.
That or that high armor values of any shield seems to have no effect or that high armor values + high shield skill seems to have no effect either. If a shield is supposed to counter ranged, which it doesnt, even if the former mentioned problem would be solved, but theoreticly if it would, then still having to invest heavily sepparetly into shield skill while XBow doesnt need that sepparate investement while penetrating shields ... calling it a discrepancy would be to put it midly.
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #178 on: December 09, 2013, 06:53:16 pm »

Don't forget that any amount of range from the shooter decreases the damage.

I have 13 gens shielder.  I have never had an arbalest penetrate a shield that requires 4 shield skill or above.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San