Author Topic: Crossbow heirlooming.  (Read 12357 times)

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
Re: Crossbow heirlooming.
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2011, 12:28:19 am »
have about 85 hp and 78 body armor 1 loomed xbow took me down to 10 hp with 1 bolt... balanced my ass
Headshot? Shot in the foot?
Professional poop cleaner

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2011, 12:40:57 am »
body

Headshot??? are we playing the same game??  pretty sure no1 can survive that..
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Darkkarma

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow your roll
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: DarkKarma
« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2011, 02:20:55 am »
body

You're crazy/working with a terrible build/gear if you get 1 shot by any bow regardless of masterwork level.
This community hurts my brains, a lot.

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2011, 04:36:16 pm »
With the pierce bow i get half hp down whilst hit in my triple loomed plate and gloves that got totally like 70body armor, but, on the contrary to the xbow, the bow can shoot me three times in the time it takes the xbower to reload, so yeah, its fine.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2011, 07:31:33 pm »
have about 85 hp and 78 body armor 1 loomed xbow took me down to 10 hp with 1 bolt... balanced my ass

A Masterwork Arbalest with MW Steel bolts at pointe blank range does an average of 34.5 damage to 78 armor, with a maximum damage of 48.

Even a head shot has zero chance of one-shotting you unless you are wearing below a Spiked Cap (32 armor). Again, that's from a 6-times heirloomed weapon at pointe-blank range.

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2011, 10:27:02 pm »
Phew, there was a post by Paul where he says that headshot from ranged is... 200% or 210% dmg

And there are different bones and places on human's body with different dmg possitive or negative bonus, so...

;)

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2011, 10:59:36 pm »
Yeah, not sure about the rest but head shot, as far as I have experienced, always kills with a mw arbalest and bolts.
Monkeys!

Offline Tavuk_Bey

• Earl
  • Renown: 409
  • Infamy: 233
  • cRPG Player
  • herrroo, my näym iz bokkkseee änd i'm fukken ugry
    • View Profile
  • Faction: bashibazouk, the official jihad clan
  • Game nicks: tavuk
  • IRC nick: Minister of Shitstorm
« Reply #97 on: June 02, 2011, 03:54:39 am »
(click to show/hide)

lol xbow is better cuz it's a fukken xbow, have you ever tried to use a real xbow? noob archers..
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

roast and roast again until lambs become kebab

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2011, 05:23:21 am »
With the pierce bow i get half hp down whilst hit in my triple loomed plate and gloves that got totally like 70body armor, but, on the contrary to the xbow, the bow can shoot me three times in the time it takes the xbower to reload, so yeah, its fine.

Blatant lie. Long bow takes 2 weeks to draw and THAT's the bow with pierce.  :rolleyes:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2011, 01:13:49 pm »
Back to the main post :

I clearly understand why xbow's heirlooms give so much damage (no benefit from anywhere else), and i agree with it.
BUT, cause there is a but, i don't understand why their other stats got so much benefits.

Let's compare it with the heirloomed bow (wich are REALLY interesting also) : (all stats BUT damage will be compared)

Heavy Crossbow (Masterwork)
Accuracy : 94 (97)           => +3  (+3,2%)
Speed rating : 23 (26)    => +3  (+13%)
Missile speed : 56 (60)   => +4   (+7,1%)

Strong bow (Masterwork)
Accuracy : 97 (99)           => +2  (+2,06%)
Speed rating : 63 (65)    => +2  (+3,17%)
Missile speed : 51 (54)   => +3  (+5,9%)

So... hum... basically, normal crossbows are balanced because they take lots of time to reload, compared to bows. But thoses heirloomed crossbows are 13% faster. o_O
Also, it's always possible to dodge arrows even at close distance, whereas it's close to impossible for crossbows. So why give heirloom crossbows so much better missile speed, speed rating and accuracy ?

I understand for damage, because wpf doesn't give any profits from it, but what about accuracy and reload time ? And may i remind people, that for bows, the more PD you have the less accuracy gained from wpf you have.

I really feel like masterwork xbows got the stats of a 4 times heirloomed (except for damage, wich is... fine.)

PS: I don't have longbow nor Arbalest, and didn't want to buy them just for a post who will be seen by may 40 people, 30 of them actually caring about balance, and 1 of them (hopefully) having a vote in it. So i don't know for other bow/xbows.

[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2011, 02:50:27 pm »
Missile speed is increased with powerdraw and it is a relative increase depended on the base projectile speed the bow provides.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 06, 2011, 03:07:20 pm »
Missile speed is increased with powerdraw and it is a relative increase depended on the base projectile speed the bow provides.

I didn't know missile speed was increase by power draw ! :shock:
Thanks for this information.

But it's not that big of an increase, since even with 6 PD and a mw strongbow, i "feel" like my arrows are less faster than a bolt shot from an xbow. It must be just a feeling though, i'll pay more attention to it ingame.

So we can say this missile speed "bonus" from PD, negates the "malus" for effective wpf from the same PD.
Wich still puts heirloomed xbow with greater accuracy and speed rating, wich are one of the (if not "THE") two most important things for a ranged weapon.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2011, 07:25:33 pm »
Wich still puts heirloomed xbow with greater accuracy and speed rating, wich are one of the (if not "THE") two most important things for a ranged weapon.

Situational. Crossbows rock in sieges and some urban maps, while the higher rate of fire and maneuverability of the bowmen kicks arse in other types of maps (open fields, some urban etc.)

Also, bolts speed seems to drop a lot from medium range, making it deal quite a bit less damage. Nekkid people surviving shots from fully loomed Arbalest & Steel Bolts and such. Crossbows are awful in rain as well.

I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #103 on: June 06, 2011, 07:28:10 pm »
Situational. Crossbows rock in sieges and some urban maps, while the higher rate of fire and maneuverability of the bowmen kicks arse in other types of maps (open fields, some urban etc.)

Also, bolts speed seems to drop a lot from medium range, making it deal quite a bit less damage. Nekkid people surviving shots from fully loomed Arbalest & Steel Bolts and such. Crossbows are awful in rain as well.

What is it again? Studies suggested something like a 10% penalty for bows and 30% for crossbows or some such thing in the rain? Does anyone have a link to one of those posts that talks about it?

Is the Snow treated as Rain for effecting athletics/shooting etc, or is it just a "fluff" effect like darkness/shadows? EDIT: Snow is not the same, thank you Fasader!

body

I have seen it. Masterwork Warbow and Strongbows using regular arrows as well as bodkins, shot Tydeus in the head several matches and me/rest of the death squad were astounded to see him still ticking. One of the matches we even shot him twice in the head, or saw him take bolts to the head as well. I think he is a 24/12 or 27/12 build or something like that...

Of course, this was at long range with damage drop-off, as well as him being a STR build with that fantastic lordly top-tier helm of his.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 08:23:21 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 06, 2011, 11:10:59 pm »

It's not situational since i'm talking about the heirloom bonus.

I won't compare the "base" bow vs "base" xbow, since i know they have different uses, different strengths and weakness. But the heirloom stats of the xbow are, imo, overpowered. Especially the accuracy and speed rating.
A slight -1 speed rating of the current masterwork xbows would already be better, even if it doesn't change that much.