Author Topic: Perspective on mutliclanning  (Read 4258 times)

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
Perspective on mutliclanning
« on: July 25, 2013, 02:24:24 am »
Hello!

Skip this part if you don't care about introductions and structure.
Reading this will give you insights into my perspective about what a clan is. You will understand why I do not consider myself as a member of any clan, even though I just founded a bannergroup myself. It will tell you why I am using different banners. I will also explain what I consider the dark side about the current private banner slot system. Actually, it is not the system I disagree with, but it is how some people act within it.

Skip this part if you do not care about political correctness.
I do not want to force my opinion upon you, and I am not trying to convince you about anything. Using words like good, bad, better or worse, I do not indicate the truth, but only my personal and current opinion. My intention is not talking bad about anyone.

Start reading here if you are a relax-bear.
All I want to achieve is make you think about what you consider more important:
- Determining all your social contacts within cRPG yourself and freely, being with the people you like whereever you want whenever you want,
or
- picking one and only one group of people among which you probably like some and dislike others, but you avoid teamplay with different people from other groups you might like?

The current private banner slot system was made to prevent people you do not know from leeching your banner. However, what some people made out of it is a personal space you may only enter while you can verify that you do not belong to any other group at the same time. It seems to make sense in Strategus: Someone might spy upon you and tell the enemy about your tactics and weaknesses. However, whenever non-clanmembers are in your TS, it is common sense you do not talk about your secrets. This is why there is no relation between having access to multiple banners (not as a clan's full member, that is!) and spying.

People who gave me their banners and participate in Strategus know that I am Strategus neutral. I play Strat battles for cRPG, not cRPG for Strat.

Still, some groups disallow "multiclanning".

You might be a nice guy and even contribute well for the mutual multiplicator, but you don't only play with us, but also with the enemies. You are not using our banner exclusively, which is violating a clan rule.

In my personal opinion, these people forgot that cRPG is a game. A game in which you can socialize, and banner-sharing helps a lot at getting to know people. And once you like them, you can do teamplay.

The following chat extract displays the different perspectives:
note: I modified some of the stuff I said to elaborate my point more clearly. It is not taken out of context and there are no contradictions about what I (my Steam nick, Melancholy) intended to say to Tore (clan leader Companions). Tore's messages are unmodified. If you are interested, see the raw material below (original chat log).

(click to show/hide)

Result (and the entertaining part):
(click to show/hide)

Original, non-modified chat log:
(click to show/hide)

Thanks for reading, that's all I wanted to say. Please think what you like, but think. Discuss if you feel like it.

Regards and good games,
Panuru

P.S.: If anyone is missing a conclusion, this could be one: After presenting myself on various TS-servers and writing PM's, I found that the majority of player groups turned out to be banner groups, not clans. On average, cRPG people want to socialize instead of isolate.

(Cheers again, Hetman, for not muting me when I was super-drunk in the voice chat with you, and for giving me banner access to GO, which started the whole thing ^_^ .)
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
Re: Perspective on mutliclanning
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 02:37:03 am »
+5
Be a member of a clan, wear the clan's banner. Wear no other banner. You can still socialize with other people. If you can only socialize while having the same banner and getting x5 with those, you are obviously doing something wrong.

Want me to quote the HRE thread, Rico? Or no, I let Franke, Rogue or Fips decide if they want to share that fun.

No, Fips. Not needed.. just randomly said it. ^^
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 02:56:38 am by Miwiw99 »
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Rico

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 02:50:03 am »
Be a member of a clan, wear the clan's banner. Wear no other banner.

Boring, conservative, go-by-manual-perspective (just my opinion). I am enjoying this game more when I have diversity. Before my stage of inactivity, I used to be at Grey TS when HRE TS was empty, teamed up with Hetman on EU1, who was the only guy online at that time in TS, and exchanged opinions about the relation between public server games and Strategus. It works without x5.

Want me to quote the HRE thread, Rico? Or no, I let Franke, Rogue or Fips decide if they want to share that fun.

Do so, if you wish.

This thread is not intended to be a potshot at old stories with HRE, it just contains some observations I want to share.

If you consider it necessary and want to turn it into a "look how bad everyone is"-discussion, feel free to do so.
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 02:52:03 am »
What if you choose a warband banner, one of those 30smthing which are not sold to clans? Do you get teamed up with ppl wearing it too or doesnt that work anymore? Cause that'd be alright for me, in a big grey accepted area.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 02:54:28 am »
+5
Here we go again...oh man, some people never learn.

If the answer to the question "Can i use your banner?" is "No." how about you just accept it and stop being such a fucking drama queen about it? Gosh.

Go ahead miwiw, i don't care. Although i doubt that anyone will ever read the walls of texts that he kind of pushed me to actually read. I could be Kanzler right now if i hadn't wasted all that time in April.

Offline Rico

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 03:00:36 am »
It is harder to convince a whole group of people to leave the server and change the banner than just getting their banner yourself, even if it is an exclusive one.

I managed once, though.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Rico

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 03:10:34 am »
Here we go again...oh man, some people never learn.

If the answer to the question "Can i use your banner?" is "No." how about you just accept it and stop being such a fucking drama queen about it? Gosh.

Go ahead miwiw, i don't care. Although i doubt that anyone will ever read the walls of texts that he kind of pushed me to actually read. I could be Kanzler right now if i hadn't wasted all that time in April.

I accept you do not share my opinion about this, but I don't see the need to reduce me on a drama queen. This is not about HRE, Companions, or anything like that in particular. It's about the psychology and sociology of an online game, about trends, and ethics. I consider the events between me and HRE finished, and I am not refering to them in a resentful way. For me, it's interesting to discuss about this in a scientific way, it's not about personal stuff or some old stories.

If you want to keep discussing, please abstract from single events to what might be the general case. Else, work on becoming Kanzler and don't let me distract you anymore.

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 03:20:59 am »
+9
I accept you do not share my opinion about this, but I don't see the need to reduce me on a drama queen. This is not about HRE, Companions, or anything like that in particular. It's about the psychology and sociology of an online game, about trends, and ethics. I consider the events between me and HRE finished, and I am not refering to them in a resentful way. For me, it's interesting to discuss about this in a scientific way, it's not about personal stuff or some old stories.

If you want to keep discussing, please abstract from single events to what might be the general case. Else, work on becoming Kanzler and don't let me distract you anymore.

Take some fucking university classes if you want to talk about that shit in a "scientific" way. This is the cRPG General Discussion where paint-pictures, gifs and QQ rule.

"I accept you do not share my opinion about this"
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Winterly

• Count
  • Renown: 230
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • I play with Quiet Mode On.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 03:26:49 am »
+5
Aren't you the one limiting yourself on this issue? What's stopping you from visiting other's TS and working as a team when you're on the same team? A banner is not be all end all. Sure you might end up balanced on the other team, but you'll also be balanced with OTHER people. All in all, I don't see your point other than wanting access to banners so potential team stacking is possible. Please elaborate, thanks.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 03:32:25 am by Winterly »
Winterly's Stuff(selling Courser/buying head and foot armor)
I love how most EU players insert an imaginary "f" into my name: Winterfly.
"Life is kind of like peeing into the snow in a dark winter night, you probably made a difference, but it's really hard to tell" - Joe Wong

Offline Tore

• Item Manager
  • Renown: 882
  • Infamy: 329
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 03:34:25 am »
Aren't you the one limiting yourself on this issue? What's stopping you from visiting other's TS and working as a team when you're on the same team? A banner is not be all end all. Sure you might end up balanced on the other team, but you'll also be balanced with OTHER people. All in all, I don't see your point other than wanting access to banners so potential team stacking is possible. Please elaborate, thanks.

this

Offline Rico

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 03:34:34 am »
@Fips: As it seems to be impossible for you to exclude personal aversions from this discussion, please find something else to spend your time with. This is my thread, and it is not about who of us has the nicer gifs and images. I do not want to argue on a personal layer. The winner of this will not be the one embarrassing the other in a cooler way, but the one who learned something new. In summary, this is a university-like discussion. You may skip it if you like.

I would appreciate to hear a perspective of someone who is rather new to cRPG and not routine-blinded. Are clans supposed to be groups of reallife and/or ingame friends having fun together and playing a game the way each individual likes to, or do you consider a clan a serious organization, meant to stand there in pride and unified under a mutual goal like performing the best at Strategus?

Offline Rico

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 03:39:56 am »

I'd have to change the teamspeak server when I am not in the right team to apply teamwork. If we added a server with a public TS and an automatic switching mechanism according to the autobalance, so that I would always be able to talk to the people I get switched to, be sure I'd spend my cRPG time there.

Alternatively, I could take a break from teamwork when I am in the enemy team and wait to get swapped back. But this destroyes the atmosphere the way I experienced it.

Edit: Good night guys, I am going to sleep. Looking forward to your thoughts I will read tomorrow!

Offline Blueberry Muffin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 749
  • Infamy: 119
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 05:03:00 am »
+5
I think someone wants to transfer their irl commitment issues into a game..
Lizard_Man: Fuck all that! Rather buy me 4 cans of Stella..
Cymro: Wife beater stella
Lizard_Man: It'll get ya drunk! You'll be fucking fat girls in no time! You might even fight a nigga or two! Mmmm-mmm, bitch!

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 05:36:28 am »
+4
Jesus! That was a fuckton of textwalling and fancy words for something so simple and unimportant like bannerusing.

Sorry to disappoint you but generally people have banners just for the lolz of it. Or to get in the better team, not cause its some personal space for social private clubs.

No offence man, but this thread is stupid. This stuff is way more simpler then you make of it.

Offline Shemaforash

• Duke
  • Renown: 533
  • Infamy: 169
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shemaforash
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 05:40:13 am »
+2
play game with people you enjoy playing with, end thread
You should be punished for having a shitty attitude.