Author Topic: bringing order to the Chaos  (Read 20728 times)

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
Re: bringing order to the Chaos
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2013, 03:40:40 am »
+2
Nice try Canary but two of those fiefs we recently sold are ones we have owned for almost the entirety of strat, as for the other.. if we actually thought for a second you or fidl would have attacked it, we would have kept it and killed any armies you sent. We still own chide because we thought you guys might take a swing at it (you havent) and it is a useful staging point. oh and for the fief we sold to HoC... 1. we dot think you would counter attack it, 2. im pretty sure we are planning on taking all of your fiefs and are fairly confident that we can prevent you launching any big attacks now and 3. we were able to get more troops to send against you in a useful location.

as for the "this is their MO in every strat" uhhh no. in strat 2 we were up against a wall the whole time and managed to gain support of other clans by promising them land in the future, so we owed lots of land and made good on our promises as best we could. in strat 3 we didnt really do anything. so yeah, im not seeing any examples of what you described.

Offline dynamike

• King
  • Renown: 1212
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Let's be friends again?
    • View Profile
    • The Remnants Clan Website
  • Faction: Stratia
  • Game nicks: Remnant_dynamike
« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2013, 06:08:48 am »
For all you people preaching the altruism of the FCC, you're forgetting the key to this strategy:

Giving a fief to a faction uninvolved in a war immediately after its conquest restricts the faction who previously owned it from being able to safely retake it. It furthers the war effort against them if they try. It's a shady tactic, one that has been the M.O. of the FCC in almost every strat, as near as I can tell. This time, at least, several groups were just straight up absorbed into the faction.

Get the small factions on your side, as many as you can muster, then give them things for "free". When someone whose land was stolen wants it back, what do they have to do? They have to fight through this small and, in many cases, new faction to get it back. This faction will, of course, turn to their FCC philanthropists with their big hearts and shiny armies, and will get going against a clan who was previously only fighting FCC.

The flip side of encouraging new people on the map in that fashion is that it's a cheap way to get unofficial allies and prevent dynamic map play for people at war.

So you are saying it is better to keep all the fiefs we conquer, form a giant red blob and try to wipe every color other than ours off the map - and that is the less evil or shady tactic? Less diabolic than allowing other clans to have fun on the map as well? Better for the overall experience of the game?

I find this to be pretty cruel and a petty state of mind towards smaller and new factions. Consider if your own faction would be wiped from the map; would you not prefer to get a chance for a fresh start?

But I understand, in fairness of the game, maybe we should return fiefs to our enemies after we capture them? Would that satisfy? Or should we add troops and gear as gifts as well?

We only want to be loved, but you make it so hard for us. Fuck it, time to turn shit red.
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2013, 06:26:14 am »
Stop acting like giving away fiefs is out of kindness: fiefs are largely useless tokens and stages for battles, nothing more. People give them away because its tactically sound. It is not altruism, its the very opposite and we all know it. Even in Frisia's case.

Edit: if you downvote this you are a shitter shattered bitchbaby cock swoggling doucher.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 06:46:42 am by Daruvian »

Offline Penguin

• Duke
  • Renown: 670
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player
  • JesusChrist
    • View Profile
  • Faction: [A]rrows Incoming!
  • Game nicks: [Y]Retreat!
« Reply #108 on: June 15, 2013, 06:44:47 am »
+5
Any small faction "given" a fief is of no merit anyway. You either buy it or take it. To be gifted another man's fief is to submit to being eternal vassals or eventually branded traitors. A true lose-lose situation.
"As you gaze upon the cross, and long for conformity to him, be not weary or fearful because you cannot express in words what you seek. Ask him to plant the cross in your heart. Believe in him, the crucified and now living one, to dwell within you, and breathe his own mind there."

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #109 on: June 15, 2013, 06:50:46 am »
+3
I believe we must listen to JC's counsel as he is literally the most qualified person in NA when it comes to talking about small forces taking fiefs.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #110 on: June 15, 2013, 06:56:51 am »
Any small faction "given" a fief is of no merit anyway. You either buy it or take it. To be gifted another man's fief is to submit to being eternal vassals or eventually branded traitors. A true lose-lose situation.

We sold all these fiefs so we are good guys and they are all good guys in your book.  Thanks jesus.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • IRC nick: Reinhardt
« Reply #111 on: June 15, 2013, 07:19:34 am »
+3
However, I do have a small nice thing to say. I do appreciate sending Acre at us instead of using your massively superior force projection to wipe us in a week. They're actually rather close to our size, although I wish they had some fiefs so we could figure out some front-line engagements with them.

Soon, my friend enemy, soon.
"A leader is a dealer in hope."

Offline kasMVC

• Duke
  • Renown: 608
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 15, 2013, 07:48:50 am »
I want to buy a fief from FCC

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #113 on: June 15, 2013, 07:50:29 am »
+1
Kesh I offer 3 gold for all FCC fiefs and troops and no gear.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2013, 07:51:57 am »
I want to buy a fief from FCC

For you we will give our special rate - only for the people we really like and who really like us - 2000 troops shiny with 500K gold and you can have  a village.  PM if interested.

Offline kasMVC

• Duke
  • Renown: 608
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2013, 07:59:56 am »
What's the deal for people you don't like?

Offline Keshian

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2013, 09:04:05 am »
I guess Sandy Daruvian must have been giving you blowjobs, Kesh, you gave us Rindyar for free.

They don't call him the gay knight for nothing - hes all pro!

Offline Tojo

• Earl
  • Renown: 490
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
  • Long Live NA_1
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, HoC, Acre, MB, HG, Beserks
  • Game nicks: _Tojo, Drew_Brees, Tijo
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2013, 09:53:56 am »
You cant look at FCC as a giant Orange-red blob consuming every fief and leaving only corpses and cinders in its wake, you have to come to accept the blob. Once the entire strat map is orangered im sure there will be more battle on the EU servers... :mrgreen:

Offline Canary

• Marshall
  • Renown: 826
  • Infamy: 202
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2013, 10:41:44 am »
+1
I feel like the objective of Strategus isn't to wipe a clan in a war of total annihilation, but to provide entertainment to the bored nerds of the community with primetime battle slots so we can pump more ironflesh into our powerleveled sperg 2handed hero characters. Kudos to actually getting in on some action, but I gotta scoff at people going "WHERE IS OUR HELP???" when SS/LCO (especially LCO) spent months fighting for survival against extremely stacked odds while getting frustrated/burnt out with the game (strat is a bitch after all) and other clans who coulda been chill bros didn't even lift a finger to get involved.

Tickets + Gold = XP + Fun. Don't worry too much about the Grand Strategy of it all, I think everyone who plays Strat just wants to keep a fun little sandbox to attack shit on interesting maps and get some XP and fun for all of their bored clanmates.

I spent most of this Strat giving FCC shit mostly for propaganda purposes, but at the very least give those guys some credit for having videogame ambition and organization. They are reliable allies and formidable enemies, but at least this strat (much like Strat 2) they have been super active.

I feel the same way about LCO and Veluca as well.  Cheers to the pro clans who've made this strat hilarious and interesting!

I feel much the same way, but got caught up in the apathy of the wars we had at hand. Favor neither side? Wind up not fighting at all. We tried to seek out unfettered factions that could make for an interesting small war on their own against us, but pickings were slim, and sometimes it's better just to pit yourself against someone you know you won't be able stand up to for long. I've never approached the game from the perspective of trying to "win" any war I wanted to be a part of, either, and if you're only piggybacking on someone else's fight it can be tiresome. If you only lose it can be bad, too, of course. Throwing tickets to the wind for any old attack is not as much fun as it sounds. We've made some hackneyed attacks against random targets during this recent war, and using tickets that way is not a good course for long-term fun. It doesn't lead to a sustained war effort, at least one that isn't totally one-sided. Ideally people go back and forth with attacks and defense, but when the obstacle you're trying to approach is a self-replenishing brick wall, your little rock hammer can only dig in so far. Not to disparage a well-planned defense, but if we can't successfully make an attack without getting shut down in every way possible, we have to stop trying to do so (whether we run out of tickets, lose interest, or get cut off by more active players). We still have yet to put forth a coordinated offensive for this war, but at this point it looks like we might have squandered our opportunity for that.

Scoff if you want, but we're not here begging for help. I wouldn't have had us attack that FCC trader if I wasn't ready to face the likely possibility of getting wiped off the map. We're a faction that has survived being taken off the map before (twice in one strat, mind you), I'm not going to become melodramatic about the outcome of events as a whole when they didn't favor us. It's the details and attitudes that are more fun to nitpick. ;)

Nice try Canary but two of those fiefs we recently sold are ones we have owned for almost the entirety of strat, as for the other.. if we actually thought for a second you or fidl would have attacked it, we would have kept it and killed any armies you sent. We still own chide because we thought you guys might take a swing at it (you havent) and it is a useful staging point. oh and for the fief we sold to HoC... 1. we dot think you would counter attack it, 2. im pretty sure we are planning on taking all of your fiefs and are fairly confident that we can prevent you launching any big attacks now and 3. we were able to get more troops to send against you in a useful location.

as for the "this is their MO in every strat" uhhh no. in strat 2 we were up against a wall the whole time and managed to gain support of other clans by promising them land in the future, so we owed lots of land and made good on our promises as best we could. in strat 3 we didnt really do anything. so yeah, im not seeing any examples of what you described.

I should have phrased it to be more accurate, yes. Your M.O. has been getting the support of numerous small clans by putting them into a situation where they feel as though they have no choice but to be your ally, even when it isn't made official. Granted, giving people things is great, encouraging small clans to exist is wonderful, and you're doing well to make the map more diverse (in color, at least; they are still your friends after all), but you have historically bunched up any small clan you could get your hands on in order to stack the odds in your favor. Here's a tangential point of fact: people such as RoR and AoW who will sign up for our rosters and then leave in the last three minutes before a battle begins and appear on the other side. The rumor I hear is that Kesh will urge people signed up on our side to switch teams. Bad on us for assuming (particularly with the AoWs, being in your faction now and all) that people just wanted in on the fight anyway they could get it and that nobody was actively griefing us.

But I digress... Strat 2 was when you grouped up as many people as possible to take on the Northern Empire. I suppose they were the biggest threat at the time, and nobody realized how much we would wind up overestimating them... but you were certainly not against a wall once that NAP with the Mercs went through, and you gathered so many clans together because of a perceived threat. A perceived threat to rally people to your cause based on promises of land? That is not better than the allegation I made earlier.

Gonna point this out:

2. im pretty sure we are planning on taking all of your fiefs and are fairly confident that we can prevent you launching any big attacks now

if we actually thought for a second you or fidl would have attacked it, we would have kept it and killed any armies you sent.

You are here making a self-fulfilling prophecy. Instead of encouraging us to fight you in the war you're just being as greedy (philanthropy to other clans aside) about your conquests as you can be, and discouraging us from actively playing anything but defense. It is ironic considering Kesh's vitriol against us for "doing nothing" and sitting stagnant turtling in our fiefs. If you allow no opportunity for attacks, attacks won't be made. If you don't allow transfers out of a fief, gear bugs will render battles shit (blah blah Kesh "we deserve all that gear and gold so transfers are bullshit, attack on the tick"). You guys really know how to kill fun for the people you fight, even if you do generously provide them with war (and other clans with their stuff once you win).

I'm not asking you to fight wars less efficiently, but I am pointing out that the way you assist other clans is not free from the whole of your strategy of stacking the odds in your favor and preventing retaliation of any kind against you. Furthermore, if you did leave room for us to go on the offensive, it could actually benefit you. No fun allowed, I guess.

So you are saying it is better to keep all the fiefs we conquer, form a giant red blob and try to wipe every color other than ours off the map - and that is the less evil or shady tactic? Less diabolic than allowing other clans to have fun on the map as well? Better for the overall experience of the game?

I find this to be pretty cruel and a petty state of mind towards smaller and new factions. Consider if your own faction would be wiped from the map; would you not prefer to get a chance for a fresh start?

My faction has been wiped off the map before, and when it happened we didn't beseech anyone to give us a fief (particularly not one taken from someone else in a war) or even sell us one.

It is different with newer clans, though, and quite frankly I would be even more upset with this kind of behavior if we did have the means to retake everything we lost. Imagine, installing a smaller clan in a fief just taken from a large aggressive faction in an attempt to keep it from being attacked and taken back when the faction gives no fucks and wants it back at all costs? That would be horrid.

Overall, in response to this and what Matey's talking, what I am saying is that I'd rather you give us a chance to at least try and make a move so that the area sees more battles at these fiefs. (what will this be, one non-peasant battle at Yalibe the entire strat and as of tomorrow two at Emirin?) At least wait until we are completely wiped out to sell off the fiefs you won from us. That's asking a lot, though, and I know we already blew our better opportunities for offenses, and misused some tickets when we attacked some of the fiefs FCC already owned. It seems like everyone underestimates our willingness to fight back; what about those aforementioned ridiculous attacks we made before seemed to indicate we wouldn't make stupid attacks against stuff we lost? You have an opportunity to defend in fun battles, here, and make us look even more pathetic.

But I understand, in fairness of the game, maybe we should return fiefs to our enemies after we capture them? Would that satisfy? Or should we add troops and gear as gifts as well?

We only want to be loved, but you make it so hard for us. Fuck it, time to turn shit red.

At least wait until we're dead to give out the inheritance.

Wasn't Kesh giving Occitan, Chaos, maybe as far back as KUTT and possibly others shit because of the fiefs they didn't "earn"? (because of having gotten them via start-of-round voting, EU resources, or being given war conquests or whatever...) I seem to recall something like that.

We sold all these fiefs so we are good guys and they are all good guys in your book.  Thanks jesus.

Oh, I see, it's different because they paid for them in cash gold.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 10:53:08 am by Canary »

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Tanken
« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2013, 10:59:15 am »
+3
FCC should just go to war on the Tundra and give it back to KUTT so we can raise the Ghost Army and all will be forgiven.
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login